The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/29/2010

Forecast: Autumn blows back into town

By Camden Walker

Decent 'rally weather' for Saturday on the Mall

* Freeze watch N & W | TWC: Live weather still comes first *
* Outside now? Radar, temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Breezy blast of fall air is a bit of a shock, though refreshingly so (especially for humidity-haters).

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Becoming mostly sunny. Breezy. Mid-50s to near 60. | Tonight: Mostly clear. Frost possible north and west. Mid-30s to near 40. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Low-to-mid 60s. | Sunday: Partly to mostly sunny. 60s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

A. Camden WalkerIn somewhat shocking fashion, we say goodbye to warmth and hello again to autumn. Not only will our bodies feel jolted by the suddenly cold air today, but they'll be further chilled by a moderate breeze. Saturday and Sunday are a little warmer and not as breezy, and Sunday evening Halloween festivities should go off without a weather hitch. We'll have plenty of sun through the weekend. Will it stick around to start the work week?...

Today (Friday): Highs in the mid-50s to near 60 (5-10 degrees below average) are a wake-up call. They'll feel quite cold even with mostly sunny skies (once any early-morning clouds depart). Autumn further asserts itself with a stiff breeze from the northwest, in the 15-25 mph range with gusts to near 30 mph. Bundle up -- our bodies will need to acclimate after the warm weather we've had. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Winds slowly calm to 5-10 mph (or less) as evening temperatures drop through the 40s. With clear skies above, lows tumble to near 40 downtown to the mid-30s in the suburbs. Northern and western suburbs may see frost, and the far northern and western suburbs (e.g., Loudoun and Frederick counties) could bottom right around freezing. If you'll be out late, grab the heavier coat that got buried during the past week's mugginess! Confidence: Medium-High

Any rain on the horizon? Keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): Mostly sunny skies and breezes around 10 mph from the south/southwest boost temperatures from their crisp morning start. Afternoon highs probably end up several degrees warmer than Friday, in the low-to-mid 60s. Overall it's a pretty decent day, whether you're headed to the rally on the Mall or otherwise. Confidence: High

Tomorrow Night: A light but steady breeze from the southwest keeps temperatures warmer than tonight. Most should see lows in the 40s, possibly some upper 30s in the coolest suburban spots. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday: Highs should find their way to the 60s again, though the models are having some trouble deciding what part of the 60s. We'll keep around a 10 mph breeze or so with partly to mostly sunny skies. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Sunday night, the evening looks clear and cool for trick-or-treating with temperatures mainly in the 50s. If out late, consider an extra layer to stay warm, since readings likely drop into the 40s by late evening, ultimately heading for lows in the mid-30s to mid-40s (suburbs to city) before sunrise. Confidence: Medium

Low pressure developing in the upper atmosphere may bring increased clouds Monday and Tuesday with highs in the mid-50s to mid-60s and a chance of showers by Tuesday (Election Day). Forecast details are still sketchy, so stay tuned. Confidence: Low

By Camden Walker  | October 29, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Security camera records tornado taking out trailers
Next: Freeze watch for north and west suburbs tonight

Comments

What do you think of the sun vs. wind proportion today.. is it too cold? Comfortable?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 29, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

It's gorgeous today! I'm a fan of seasonable weather, and I hope autumn is here to stay. 75 is nice, but only when it's *supposed* to be 75 (and the humidity on Wednesday was awful). I would give today a 9 at least.

Posted by: aks8218 | October 29, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

aks8218, hi there! I agree today ranks highly in my book. Maybe a 9 for me too. But most folks, I speculated, would feel too cold and not enjoy this blustery break from that terrible muggy weather of days past :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 29, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Today's weather is perfect! It finally feels like fall. I'm spending the weekend camping in the woods and I'm so glad it won't be weirdly warm out. Nice crisp fall weather :)

Posted by: CuseFan07 | October 29, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

No day that fails to reach even 60 degrees could ever be higher than a 5, IMHO.

Posted by: ryanem1 | October 29, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I totally heart this weather. I love putting on a sweater for my daily walk and scuffling through fallen leaves. 30+ mph gusts are okay so long as they're N or NW--no picture windows on that side of the house! The freeze warning for Jefferson County is very welcome, as it means the deer ticks will be whacked and I can go for real hikes through fields and forests.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | October 29, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

CuseFan07 - I too have been pondering camping. But early-week mugginess felt like AUGUST with damp leaves smell and heat making for a bad combo (for camping anyway) - have a good night or two in the Shenandoah planned?

ryanem1 - I hear ya. It is a bit nippy. One of the first mornings I saw a real windchill register on my phone weatherbug app. Did you dress in a few layers today to stay warm?

tinkerbelle - I'm pretty excited about the weather too. Ticks have been bad this year, haven't they!? eesh.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 29, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I love this weather. Just went for a walk with my camera and went snap happy with all the beautiful foliage. The refreshing wind makes for another 9 in my book. Yesterday I went for a run and was battling hoards of flies that thought the warmth signaled springtime.

Posted by: meteorolinguist | October 29, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I actually did Shenandoah last weekend - Luray Caverns, a vineyard and Skyline Drive. It was a gorgeous weekend for it, though a little warmer than I'd hoped. This weekend we're heading up to PA and Buchanan State Forest to a PATC cabin. Should be chilly, but cozy in the cabin with the wood burning stove!

Posted by: CuseFan07 | October 29, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

So happy that fall weather is back! Wasn't happy about having to put bug spray on the kids again the last week or so (and then having to explain why we can't also get the pool out...)

Posted by: cwgfan76 | October 29, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

meteorolinguist - foliage colors are really turning out near you, eh? Excellent. Oh and yes the nats & flies this week with the resurgent warmth -- had been terrible.

CuseFan07 - wow, an excellent weekend last weekend. I love Luray. My grandmother lived there! Cabin sounds great for this weekend, to huddle around during the chilly overnight low temperatures.

cwgfan76 - I myself should have used bugspray this last week. Three new mosquito bites. In late October! arghhh :P

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 29, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm running the Marine Corp Marathon on Sunday (along with 29,999 other people). Looks like the weather is going to be amazing! YAY!

Posted by: nblakejones | October 29, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic running weather, yes!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 29, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse