The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 PM ET, 10/11/2010

PM Update: Record heat strikes, storms next?

By Jason Samenow

* Outside now? Radar, temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall *

10 p.m. update: An isolated severe storm (warning until 10:45 p.m.) has moved into Anne Arundel county and may produce damaging winds to 60 mph around Annapolis before it moves over the Bay. It's not out of the question that another isolated storm or two could pop somewhere in the metro region overnight.

From earlier (originally posted at 5:30 p.m.): Today was another record setter as Dulles Airport crushed its 2001 record by eight degrees, soaring to 86. Reagan National got close to the 1919 record of 90, but fell two degrees short. The high at BWI was 85.

Will we mark down October 11 as the last day of 2010 with upper 80s? Unless we do it tomorrow, I'm guessing yes. A sharp cooling trend commences Wednesday and it's going to be very difficult to get back into the upper 80s next week or thereafter.

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: An isolated thunderstorm could develop this evening but, based on radar (and model simulations), I'm thinking not. Most of the overnight hours feature partly cloudy skies and mild conditions, with lows in the 50s in the suburbs to the low 60s downtown.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Though we're not in record territory, it's still a warm one. Partly to mostly sunny skies in the morning give way to mostly cloudy skies in the mid-to-late afternoon. A few showers and thunderstorms could develop (30% chance), a few of which could be strong. Highs are in the low 80s.

See my forecast through the next weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

New tropical storm: The National Hurricane Center named the season's 16th tropical storm today as Paula formed deep in the Caribbean. Paula, which rapidly intensified from a mere tropical wave to a strong tropical storm in the course of a day, is expected to become a hurricane shortly. Tropical storm warnings are in effect for the southern coast of Honduras and hurricane warnings have been posted in Mexico for the Yucatan peninsula including Cancun and points south.

By Jason Samenow  | October 11, 2010; 10:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Record watch: Dulles crushes old record
Next: Golf ball marks from heaven and hail

Comments

Looks like central VA has a small thunderstorm popping - keep us posted if your locale sees a thundershower!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 11, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I am NOT turning on the AC!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | October 11, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

resist! (I am trying, too)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 11, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Camden, I too was keeping an eye on that thunderstorm as it appeared to be headed toward Stafford County. However, it seems to have diminished as it moved eastward.

I had to turn the AC on today.....too hot in the house for sleeping tonight.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | October 11, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I will miss the heat. As much as snow is fun the cold is not terribly exciting in my mind. We had such a good winter last yr I could go with endless summer for a while. [preparing for much less snow this winter. ;-)]

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | October 11, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I am with you, Ian. I will take a sunny, warm day like today anytime over the cold, damp, and snow of a winter day. I had no issues with the heat this summer, especially after the winter we had.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | October 11, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, well we had 10 more cooling degree days, adding to the all-time record (now up to 2,102).

As for the upcoming winter, hoping CWG gets multiple opportunities to use the SCLB. Certainly gets page traffic going and in two months (or maybe less), I'll be asking how many calendar years hereabouts have had 40" (or more) of snow.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | October 11, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Lightning with no thunder here in Rockville.
No rain or wind either.

Posted by: Havoc737 | October 11, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Brief thunderstorm here in Laurel! A little rain, and I can see lightning off in the distance from my balcony!

Posted by: megamuphen | October 11, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Yah, looks like a few pop up showers up in MD right now. I'm jealous.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | October 11, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Spectacular sunsets for the past 5 days or so. Completely enjoying this warm fall spell, what we used to refer to as Indian Summer, as kids, in the Midwest.

Posted by: weathergrrl | October 11, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

well I guess, since we haven't had a frost, not technically Indian Summer. Was thinking of the chilly spell earlier!

Posted by: weathergrrl | October 11, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

It's not really Indian summer yet...we haven't had our first frost!!!

Washington's Indian summer typically happens in November around Veterans Day. The first frost is typically in early November, though we've occasionally gone as late as December before the first killing frost down here near the Potomac.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | October 11, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse