The new Washington

Forecast: Soggy today, breezy tomorrow

By David Streit

Temps run about 10 degrees below normal

* Later this morning: CWG's 2010-2011 winter outlook *
* Outside now? Radar, temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Give me back fall sunshine! Points for no frozen precip, & light winds let umbrellas work.

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Rainy, especially this morning. 48-52. | Tonight: Chance of showers. 40-44. | Tomorrow: A few sprinkles, breezy. 47-51. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

This is an old-fashioned rainy day. At least we get the wet stuff out of the way before the weekend. However, the unseasonably cool air can't be shaken and even downtown D.C. could see its first freeze Saturday night. That would be about on schedule. I do like the extra hour to sleep away Saturday night's chill but boy is it going to get dark early Sunday evening.

Today (Thursday): There is no really good spin for this one. A wet commute makes for a poor start to the day and the rains keep going strong through the morning. Temperatures go nowhere sitting in the 40s. The showers become more spotty in the afternoon with a peak reading right around 50 as a deep blanket of clouds remains in place. Breezes are 5-10 mph from the northeast. Confidence: High

Tonight: On and off showers likely (60% chance) continue through the evening but winds stay light. Temperatures sit in the 40s through the night. Total rain tallies from this storm should be close to an inch. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through Monday....

Tomorrow (Friday): Increasing breezes and falling leaves make slick roads today so drive carefully, especially in the morning when sky conditions are mostly cloudy. Also, there could be some sprinkles or lingering showers (30% chance). Winds from the northwest increase to 10-20 mph with some higher gusts. The storm moves north by afternoon and a few peaks of sun are likely. However, temperatures do little remaining parked in the 40s most of the day and topping out around 50 once again. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Clouds become steadily less persistent overnight as drier air starts to filter into the region. This comes at a price as temperatures start a more serious decline. Frost is unlikely but most areas will be in the mid-to-upper 30s by day break. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Saturday is likely to be one of those peek-a-boo days as far as the sun is concerned. There is just such cold air overhead that as soon as the ground warms up it leads to rising air and clouds quickly form in the chilly air. It is possible that some sprinkles or even snow flurries (north and west suburbs during the morning) could come out of some of the more vigorous updraft clouds (20% chance). It should still be a good leaf raking day with light winds and highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s. A calm evening is still chilly with 40s headed into the low-to-mid 30s and even upper 20s in the burbs. Enjoy that extra hour under the blankets as Daylight Saving Time expires. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday starts off frosty in most locations. The one improvement today is the sun is finally out in full force. The cool air remains a hard fellow to dislodge and highs only make the low-to-mid 50s. Evening comes really early now with sunset at 5 p.m.! Another calm clear night results in readings falling to the 30s (lower burbs, upper city). Confidence: Medium-High

Monday dawns brighter thanks to a sunrise back to before 7 am once again. The area finally figures out how to return to seasonable temperatures for a change. Sparkling sunny skies allow readings to jump to the upper 50s to lower 60s. Confidence: Medium

By David Streit  | November 4, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Clouds for now, rain comes later
Next: Capital Weather Gang 2010-11 winter outlook

Comments

What a horrible day out there. The kind of day you want to stay in your nice warm bed. I feel sorry for people that have to wait at bus stops this morning. My rating for today - ZERO.

Posted by: rwalker66 | November 4, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Well I tried to give today a zero, but when I clicked on "Your Call" I got the question "Do you shop at a farmer’s market?"

Posted by: rwalker66 | November 4, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

@rwalker66 I had the same problem! I will have our staff take a look at it. I wouldn't want anyone to miss a chance at posting their rating.

Posted by: davidstreit1 | November 4, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

do I see the "s" word in the forecast? even though it's just for flurries, a forecast like that makes this snowlover smile on a gray day like today. Soon this mess could be snow!

Posted by: bachaney | November 4, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

After recording only 4 days of measurable rain in October, we certainly can use the half inch we got overnight!

Posted by: weathergrrl | November 4, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Farmer's Market poll still popping up. When is the Winter Weather outlook going to be posted?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | November 4, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I shop at the flea market (at double tollgate) and I buy from the farmers so that is close enough. One of cats would give today an 8 (he likes rain).

Posted by: eric654 | November 4, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

@bachaney - I second that. I am getting really excited for this fall and winter weather.

Posted by: Bainbridge | November 4, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Daily digit poll is fixed. Vote away!

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

What a beautiful day! I gave it a full "10"!

After this summer's suffocating heat and drought, we deserve many more chilly, rainy days!

We will need at least one inch of rain each week for the next 7 weeks simply to get National Airport to its average annual precipitation total. Bring it on!

Posted by: TominMichiganParkDC | November 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

My detailed comments on today's storm are posted with the "Winter Outlook" post.

It's possible the current jet stream configuration could be a harbinger of things to come.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | November 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@ TominMichiganParkDC...

I absolutely HATE this crud!!! Short winter days don't give me SAD, but this cloudy, gloomy soggy mess DOES!!! Are we really seven inches under at DCA??? I don't think so...I think it's more like 1.45". We certainly don't need SEVEN WEEKS of this junk...bring on the sunny sixties ASAP...if it's still TOO WARM for a decent snow event...

Posted by: Bombo47jea | November 4, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

had nearly an inch of rain when I left for the office at 9:30...this storm is going to dump WAY more than forecast.

Posted by: weatherdude | November 4, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse