The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 11/12/2010

Forecast: More blue sky and enjoyable 60s

By Camden Walker

Breeze weaker, pleasant conditions through weekend

* Capitol color | Winter's biggest players | Remembering 11/11/87 *
* Outside now? Radar, temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Chilly start, but at least it is Friday. Blue skies, lighter breeze and more 60s!

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Gorgeous blue sky. 60-64. | Tonight: Clear. Near 30 to near 40. | Tomorrow: Sunny. Mid-60s. | Sunday: Mostly sunny. Mid-60s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Blue skies, very little breeze, and dry conditions through at least Sunday. What a weekend we have in store! With our average temperatures in D.C. at 59F/41F (hi/low), I think you will be pleased at this mostly above-average forecast. Get outside. Enjoy the ever-shortening daylight that shines bright into Sunday. Have you liked this week's broken record of sunshine and 60s?

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Friday): Gorgeous, with clear skies and lots of sunshine. Subtract some of yesterday's breeze, and maybe add a degree to highs? Fantastic stuff! Low-to-mid 60s sound great to me. For my fellow victims of Seasonal Affective Disorder, get out around 11:52 a.m., during solar noon, and soak up some sun. It will do you good! Confidence: High

Tonight: Any light northerly breeze (or hint of breeze, really) will fully calm as evening temperatures drop through the 50s. With almost completely clear skies, you might think about taking David's recent recommendation to view the crescent moon on the southwest horizon in the evening. Do bundle up again, as temperatures bottom out around 40 downtown while nearing 30 in the coldest suburbs. Confidence: Medium-High

Want to know if and when clouds and showers enter the picture? Keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): Sun shines bright and winds stay pretty calm. Chilly morning temperatures will bound upwards toward the mid-60s during the afternoon. I can't think of a more outdoor-perfect day. Get out and about! Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Clear and decent for going out on the town. Temperatures should stay a tad bit milder than Friday night with low temperatures bottoming in the lower 40s downtown, and perhaps the mid-30s outside of the Beltway. Confidence: Medium

Sunday: Look for a great, sunny morning with a few clouds possible later in the day. Temperatures are still comfortable, at least mid-60s it seems. The evening should pleasant for dining outdoors. It may be the last evening to do so with comfortable temperatures for the foreseeable future. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Sunday night, may feature more in the way of clouds. Lows eventually drop into the upper 30s and low 40s through the region -- more uniform temperature readings because of our increasing cloud cover. Confidence: Low-Medium

We hopefully hold off showers for most of Monday despite mostly cloudy skies. High temperatures may be a little cooler, in the upper 50s to low 60s. I believe shower chances stand at 10-20%. By Tuesday, we may be mostly overcast with a higher (50%) chance of showers. High temperatures? Probably in the cooler 50s. Confidence: Low

By Camden Walker  | November 12, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On this day in 1987: Unpredicted. Paralyzing. Snow.
Next: Weatherman tosses microphone to polar bears

Comments

Sounds like an utterly perfect weekend in store for us. I plan to soak up every second!

Posted by: weathergrrl | November 12, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday, with my patio door open, my condo reached 80 degrees inside (I face the sun)- I had to turn on the air conditioning for a little while.

I am enjoying the weather immensely, but interesting to see how easily sunshine and little breeze can raise indoor temps.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | November 12, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Snowlover2 | November 12, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

weathergrrl - indeed, soak it up! I intend to, as well.

Snowlover2 - wow that is warm. You must be up above other buildings and facing south?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Cam- facing south and I am unobstructed- for now. That might change, as there is a building being constructed on the block over. I am also on the top floor.

Still, I was a little surprised it got that warm, given the time of year and angle of the sun.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | November 12, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

What's the forecast for the 'Skins-Iggles game?

I wish we would have a seriously hard freeze here in D.C. I'm convinced Cleopatra keeled over from the aromoa of squished stinkbugs. Those invasive, stinky pests won't quit.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | November 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1 - for the Monday game in Landover, I bet (as of now) the rain showers will hold off, but expect it to be a tad chilly & cloudy. Typical DC fall weather, really :) You prepared to bundle up a bit?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'll dress warmly enough on Monday, Camden. Please, bring us some cold temps so the stinkbugs are frozen in their tracks.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | November 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Attention:

Weather board news...Eastern U.S. Weather Forums is going "dark" or "read-only" as of midnight. It will be replaced by the new "American Weather Forums" weather board which has recently been set up.

Apparently anyone who has been posting to the Eastern U. S. weather board needs to register with the new American Weather Forums board.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | November 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1 - working on it ;) arctic air building... slowly.. but surely..

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Bombo47jea - thanks for the heads-up!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

absolutely magnificent day! the deep blue sky could not possibly provide a better contrast against the peak foliage seen on the trails in my neighborhood. great running weather for soaking up the sun and staving off SAD for a while longer. This broken record high pressure system is a lot more pleasant than the sunny six-day string of 90s we experienced Aug 29-Sept 3.

Also, for those who aren't early risers, solar noon is running 16 minutes early at 11:52 now, but it'll start to creep later in couple of days. By Dec 25th, solar noon will be right where it should be for DC, at 12:08 pm.

Posted by: meteorolinguist | November 12, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

meteorolinguist - thanks for echoing what I have been noticing with the early solar noon--important for us SAD sufferers to get outside and maximize our UV/sun exposure even if just for 10min! :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse