The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 9:05 AM ET, 11/ 1/2010

Freeze watch for entire metro region tonight

By Jason Samenow

* Sunny start to month: Full Forecast | Temps & more: Weather Wall *

Temperatures inside the beltway and east toward the Bay will flirt with freezing tonight, prompting the National Weather Service to issue a freeze watch for these areas. The following locations are included in the watch:

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - SOUTHERN BALTIMORE - PRINCE GEORGES - ANNE ARUNDEL - CHARLES - ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA - INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... WASHINGTON... BALTIMORE... ANNAPOLIS... WALDORF ... ALEXANDRIA ... FALLS CHURCH

The watch also extends to locations in the north and west suburbs - which have already experienced frost, and in some cases, a freeze. Temperatures could drop as low as 30 or so over these areas, which are:

NORTHERN BALTIMORE - HARFORD - MONTGOMERY - HOWARD - LOUDOUN - FAIRFAX INCLUDING THE CITIES OF ... GAITHERSBURG ... COLUMBIA ... LEESBURG ... FAIRFAX

How cold was it this morning? Reagan National dropped to 41, Dulles to 39 and BWI to 33.

By Jason Samenow  | November 1, 2010; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Extreme Cold
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: November off to sunny, cool start
Next: Why was last year so snowy? Part I

Comments

I DISAGREE...with this "hard freeze" talk!

The temperature tomorrow morning at DCA is expected to dip into the mid thirties...still above freezing! To get a hard freeze you need mid-twenties.

In sum, we should get widespread ground frost by tomorrow morning...but no hard freeze...unless DCA knows something about expected dewpoints around 25 degrees, which doesn't seem evident.

Betcha it's still 37 degrees at Reagan tomorrow morning, and we still have growing season in Arlington.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | November 1, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Bombo- I agree no hard freeze inside beltway-- that's why I said "flirt with freezing." Also agree the National probably won't go below the mid-30s-- though as we all know-- DCA is one of the warmest areas inside the beltway.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 1, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Had a nice coating of frost/ice this this morning on the car in Columbia, not much frost on the ground though, could be a different story tonight with a few degrees cooler forecast.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | November 1, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm about a minute inside the beltway in Ffx cty. There was frost on cars on my street this morning, although at 8 am it was above 40. I covered my tomato plant last night--hopefully it will survive tonight as well. I had thoughts of putting a heating pad on the ground to generate a bit more heat, but decided that I didn't want to burn my house down.

Posted by: janedoe5 | November 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Latest "Arlington" dewpoint I saw [per TWC] has fallen to 28...this may support subfreezing temps even at DCA. Will need to check how dewpoint varies throughout the day. CWG has 30.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | November 1, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

If the frost is enough to kill the ragweed, I would be very happy.

Posted by: ursulab | November 1, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Left for work at 7:10 this morning from Silver Spring (stones throw from the District line) and my car was frosted over! temperature in car said 36 when I turned it on.

Posted by: hjones1218 | November 1, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

According to Weatherbug the current temp (high temp?) in Fairfax is 49 degrees. What kind of high temp is that for November 1? I looked it up and that is the average high temp for Fairfax for December 6. I asked for Fall, not winter. It really is true that the Washington D.C. area only has 2 seasons: warm and cold. Our Spring and Fall days only make a few appearances. Winter and Summer seem to go on forever....especially winter. Winter around here is usually Nov 1 - April 1. Need I bring up all the Veteran's Day snowstorms we've had and giant snowstorms in March?

Posted by: rwalker66 | November 1, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse