The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 11/23/2010

PM Update: Showers to end, becoming clear & cool

By Jason Samenow

Showery again Thanksgiving & Black Friday

Showers associated with a cold front moving through the region this afternoon have interrupted an unseasonably mild day. On winds from the south, temperatures had ascended all the way into the upper 60s (69 at DCA). The showers should cutoff by dark as cooler air gradually trickles into the region.

Through Tonight: The rain should be over for most of the evening commute. Skies steadily clear overnight, with temperatures falling back to around 40 downtown with mid-30s in the colder suburbs.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): A much cooler air mass settles into the region from the northwest. That means temperatures about 15 degrees colder than today, with highs only in the low 50s despite sunshine. A wind from the north at 10-15 mph makes it feel even chillier.

See Matt Roger's forecast through the week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Second longest freeze-free period on record: Ian Livingston tells me today marked the 269th consecutive day without a freeze at Reagan National Airport (DCA), the second most such days on record (passing 2001, which had 268 straight days). DCA needs to remain freeze-less for another six days to match the record of 275 days from 1980 (see Ian's earlier post). With the intensity of the Arctic outbreak to the West waning as it heads east, this record may well be in play.

By Jason Samenow  | November 23, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crazy, extreme weather leads up to Thanksgiving
Next: Doug Hill & Doug Kammerer winter outlooks

Comments

I had a 30.6F reading on my indoor/outdoor thermometer on March 27 this year in N. Arlington. I've got about 300 feet elevation and I'm away from the river but doubt it's much more than 5 miles from Nat'l Airport in straight line distance.

If I remember the recent weather blog item the last freeze at the airport was a full month earlier.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hi Joel_M_Lane - 300ft could be a little high. And I believe DCA airport is about 26ft above sea level. So right there we may have a big difference, if a boundary layer set up shop between 26ft and 300ft.

For noting: official weather stations are in a flat region of land and instruments are placed 2m above said ground surface. If at all possible, it is supposed to be partially shaded and surrounded by grass.

does this help? I can research more if needed. I can tell you the chances are high that that particular March 27 night, the far lowest layer of the atmosphere (lets say around the Potomac River and elevations lower than 50ft, may have actually been warmer than your 300ft location. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes this inverted temperature setup occurs in our region.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 23, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Sterling seems to think "WITH
TEMPS FALLING TO COLDEST OF THE SEASON SO FAR...20S MOST AREAS" by Saturday morning. There is some model evidence to suggest freezing is within reach on Saturday morning, the coldest morning of the next week or so. If we don't hit 32 at National on Saturday, the record looks to be all but a lock to be broken.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | November 23, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@pjdunn1

Note Sterling said "most areas"... DCA thrives at being a thermal underachiever. I think it's going to be close. Put me down for 33 Saturday morning.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 23, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"DCA thrives at being a thermal underachiever." So well put!

Posted by: --sg | November 23, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Camden. I'm not disputing the temp readings at the airport just noting that many folks who live in the Metro area probably had freezes well after DCA did.

Based on the contour lines on Google maps it appears that Marymount in N. Arlington is above 400 feet in elevation and I'm down the hill a ways from there.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse