The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:15 PM ET, 12/16/2010

D.C. gets first inch; school tomorrow?

By Jason Samenow

7:15 p.m. update: The storm is over. Update on weekend storm threat coming around 8:00 p.m.

From 5:15 p.m.: Believe it or not, Reagan National Airport (DCA) - also known as D.C.'s snow hole due to its underachieving totals in many storms, received its first inch of snow today.

According to the National Weather Service (NWS), the airport, also D.C.'s official observation station, had (unofficially) accumulated 1.5" of snow through 4 p.m. Now there are only 54.6 inches to go to break 2009-2010's winter snowfall record...

Not surprisingly though, DCA's totals are a bit lower than most of the rest. Totals reported to the NWS (that are more or less current) tend to range from 1.5 to 3.0."

The snow is very scattered right now so, as I mentioned in the PM Update, little additional accumulation is expected.

Will there will be school tomorrow? I think so, although some delays are likely in the typically delay prone counties (Loudoun, Fauquier, Fairfax, maybe Montgomery?).

SchoolCast:

Keep reading for storm reports, photos, and videos submitted to the Capital Weather Gang...

CWG readers have been very generous in sending in their snow photos, reports, and totals via Twitter, Facebook, and the blog. Here's an aggregation of totals:

@HH57: here is the snow accumulation in Columbia Heights (14th & Kenyon) at 4:55 pm. Looks like 3/4 inch. (Photo)

@weathergrrl: 1.75 inches in New Baltimore.

@ebuie: About an inch in Wheaton.

@TheSonOfLiberty: Still snowing in Reston, VA. Total accum. at 2".

@timeagle: maybe 3" to 2.5 in kingstowne, va

@slacmc: according to our plastic ruler 1 3/4 inch in Ashburn

@megachris: snow has tapered off in Leesburg. Just over 2" in the driveway.

@jimmiebjr: Looks like about 2 inches in northern Charles County/Waldorf area.

@paulcrumlish 1.8" snow on top of Bull Run Mountain, Western Prince William county, with sun beginning to come out.

@worldtraveler83: Snow picked up again south of Hamilton VA. About 1 3/4 in. Country dirt roads are slick and a mess.

Finally, check out this video of cars spinning out near Rosslyn from Twitter follower @ClarendonPatch:

Video: cars spinning out downhill in Rosslyn & Courthouse this morning

By Jason Samenow  | December 16, 2010; 7:15 PM ET
Categories:  Latest, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Snow to wind down but cold
Next: Sunday snow threat is back, sort of...

Comments

booo 18z GFS & NAM have gone away from their earlier snowier solutions for this weekend. Which brings up a good question for *CWG*? Are the 18Z(1pm) runs of the GFS and NAM not as accurate as the 00Z(7am) & 12Z (7pm) runs because they don’t take into account weather balloon data? (For those of you that don’t know, weather balloons go up twice a day 12z (7am) & 00Z (7pm est.) to collect data which is then incorporated into the models at those times.)

Posted by: pseaby | December 16, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Less than 1" in Crownsville (near Annapolis). Slippery today, though, but it got better as traffic cleared main roads. By now it seems even this little neighborhood road, that NEVER sees a plow (or so I'm told) is looking pretty good.

Thanks CapWx.

Posted by: ChickenLady | December 16, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Thinking this weekend storm will be nowhere close to us... ya? Think it will stay out to sea, but hit New England pretty hard.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | December 16, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@pseaby

I put less weight on the intermediate runs because the 0z and 12z runs initialize with a fuller set of data. Still, if I'm a snow fan, those runs aren't encouraging. We'll have our full update soon...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 16, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The panic in today's storm was unbelievable....for an inch of snow. Everybody hit the roads at once....right around noon. Local governments, Federal workers, scholls, grocery-shoppers, parents picking up kids....you name it. The salt trucks couldn't get through to do their job....and the temps (low 20s) were so cold the salt didn't do much good anyway. And, as usual, people in rear-drive cars (and without snow tires) were trying to get through, and often getting stuck.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | December 16, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Hi MMCarhelp - I saw some panic today too. My friends (who are in the know because they read us here at CWG) were laughing at it today. And I really heard a lot of wrong information out there--including the word "blizzard" -- and I have no idea how that got started. Simple rumor mill? It is terrible if the salt trucks couldn't get through. Ugh.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 16, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I had a fairly easy commute home. I am glad my district didn't let out early- I think the staggered school closings, private businesses closing and government letting people telework staggered things which worked well in my favor.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 16, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

MoCo did not close early. My street, quite often the LAST for such things, was plowed and sanded before I had to go get the kids. So far, so good!

Posted by: bethesda6 | December 16, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I missed the bus I usually take in the morning - I was about to cross the street to the stop and realized I forgot the cookies that I made for work today (Sweets & Treats day for the whole office.)
I thought for a split second about driving to work... and realized I would rather be late, than deal with all the drivers who have no clue how to drive in snow... :)

Posted by: MKoehl | December 16, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Nailed the day of the first 1" of snow at DCA, on CWG's snow quiz that ran a couple of weeks ago. But I hope I'm way wrong with the prediction of 11.x" for the season.

We still need c.a. 2" snow at DCA to hit 40" of snow for CY10.

Meanwhile DCA Heating Degree Days are piling up so fast in December that the sizeable seasonable deficit in HDDs at the end of the November has nearly been ereased.

Keep the chill going and the snow coming!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 16, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

wow we got like 3" or more of snow here in madison. where was the jackpot??

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | December 16, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Pats-Packers game on Sunday night may be played under blizzard conditions.

Posted by: bdeco | December 16, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Bdeco... that means Brady will throw for 500 yards and 6 TDs.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | December 16, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thread where Jerry predicted the first inch at DCA for today: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/12/your_call_how_much_snow_in_dc.html

Camden, tell him what he won...

Posted by: eric654 | December 16, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

In spite of the irritating fact that your blog was imbedded in a video snapshot of the first measurable snow of the season (even though it was only an inch or so of frozen precipitation), I am more interested in the forecast for Sunday. The long range forecast for the weekend has been all over the map in terms of prediction (lots of sunshine - no, wait a minute, it's going to snow). Are we in for a major northeaster, or is this a weather event primarily for New England?

I am currently in Delaware, with plans to return to the DC metro area on Sunday, and would like have some rational idea of what to expect.

What is your learned opinion?

Posted by: MillPond2 | December 16, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

@MillPond2

We have a new post on the Sunday storm: see this link: http://wapo.st/eSzUj5

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 16, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax County just posted a 2 hour delay tomorrow.

Posted by: mamory1975 | December 16, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

It's 15.9F at 1900 ft in eastern Warren County. 1.75" snow today. May try my new XC skis tomorrow...

Posted by: spgass1 | December 16, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

NWS forecast said that the low temperature here tonight would be 22F. It's already 17.8F @ 10:20PM.. Are the colder temperatures a result of the snow cover?

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | December 16, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Eric, I won't win anything for predicting the date of the first inch of snow. I'm probably in CWG Siberia because I had qualms about the new book. If so, I'll enjoy my exile.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 17, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse