The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:50 PM ET, 12/ 7/2010

Did last winter change your opinion on snow?

By Dan Stillman

The D.C. area barely got a flurry from a storm that passed south of the area this past weekend, and it appears likely that any precipitation we see this coming weekend would be primarily in the form of rain not snow.

Soon enough, though, we're bound to get some snowflakes. The question is, how will you feel? Did last winter's relentless and record snows change your opinion about the white stuff?...

Have a different view than the options above? Let us know with a comment...

By Dan Stillman  | December 7, 2010; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Latest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stink bug weather & tips for keeping them out
Next: PM Update: Cold again tomorrow, still breezy

Comments

If anything, last winter completely spoiled me. And you know what happens when you are spoiled, you just want more.

Posted by: Rcmorgan | December 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rcmorgan | December 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Last year spoiled me too...especially since my birthday was Feb. 9th and I had the entire week off from work. Honestly though, I just want snow showers. Give me some flakes. A dusting. pretty snow. I don't need massive blizzards, but if it's going to be this COLD and WINDY I need some snow to take the edge off.

Posted by: amandap2986 | December 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Last year's whopping totals, plus the fact that you guys were right on top of the predicting, created a Pavlovian effect, if you will.

All the talk about snow this year, without any falling so farm, is frustrating.

Certainly no one's fault, but just the fact that you keep posting topics on snow, it's a trigger in our minds, and a cruel tease in a way.

I might have to move to Buffalo -- ok, just kidding!

Posted by: jaybird926 | December 7, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Bring it on. Love the snow WEEKS!

Posted by: AdmiralX | December 7, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

At the end of last winter I was tired of snow. But this year, I live in a different apartment building (that will actually salt & shovel the snow on the sidewalk & driveway), closer to the Metro, closer to work, and I'm actually prepared shoes-wise (my winter boots didn't arrive until AFTER the snow ended. stupid UPS). So if there's record snow I can actually leave the house! Bring it on!

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | December 7, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I still love snow as much as ever. The only difference last winter made is that now I'm tempted to move north where a supply of snow is more guaranteed AND people know how to handle it.

Posted by: csdiego | December 7, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Sort of a random comment, but I can consistently not read or post comments on posts with polls in them using Chrome (I switched to firefox to make this comment!)

Posted by: megamuphen | December 7, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for more snow this year! I have a job that will pay me for snow days and Mardi Gras isn't until March, so hopefully my vacation/family time won't be cut in half in 2011.

Posted by: kmill67 | December 7, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

silly question...!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I love snow. I was actually stuck in a third blizzard last year (the one that hit Nebraska over Christmas). And I have to say, as long as I pick up an extra shovel and a new pair of boots, I'm itching for a foot or two!

And, by the way, the weather blog has the most civilized and entertaining commenters of the WaPo site.

Posted by: ericohlsen | December 7, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Without question, I would be *thrilled* if it's a "freak" winter and we get absolutely no snow. I am still recovering from last year's nightmare storms! They may have been fun for those who had power, but for the rest of us, not so much...

Posted by: debbie_in_rockville | December 7, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Megamuphen: Same here. Had to open a new tab in Chrome and reload the page. Thought it was just me.

Regarding snow:
I grew up in the rust belt of upstate NY and have loved snow since I can remember. Last year's parade of blizzards/storms, however, tempered my snow love just a tad.

I remember one point in the 3rd storm, after dark, I watched as the winds whipped the snow into ever increasing drifts in the driveway. Then, the power went out. It got so eerily quiet. Excitement turned to concern. What were we (My wife and 4 year old) going to do if the power remained off and we couldn't get to help? Concern turned to worry. For the first time in my life, I remember wishing it would stop snowing. But it didn't. It reminded me of the awesome power of nature. All I could do is watch the darkness and hope for the best. It was one of the most uncomfortable moments I can remember.

Even so, I still like a good snow storm, but I am careful what I wish for... now.

Posted by: dprats21 | December 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I kind of go along with my wife's opinion that winter should consist of the following:

It gets cold.
It snows.
It warms up again.
The snow melts.
Winter is over.

Actually, I might not go quite that far. I would say that winter isn't winter without snow, but I could go quite a few years without last winter's experience.

Posted by: kevinwparker | December 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Living in the DC area has made me appreciate the BIG snow. We don't often get BIG snows and when we do I am turned into a little kid. I want to make tunnels and jump in drifts and sled down big hills and have snow ball fights and not go to work. Then I remember, I am not that little kid and have reponsabilities. I have to shovel the driveway so I can get the car out to attempt to make it up the steep snow covered hill and hope I don't slide into something, like a car, or worse, a pedestrian. Then when I make it to work I have to, well, WORK! Then when I finally make it back home through terrible traffic, I have to clear the walkway and cook on the grill because we don't have any power. Then I am frozen and my fingers feel like they are going to fall off.
But then I remember... it snowed! And I am off to make tunnels and slide down the big hill and throw snow balls, etc. I am transformed into that kid.
If I were suspecting snow like we had last year, every year, I would buy a snow blower to protect my back, and a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to work and back home as smoothly as possible. So I can be that kid all over again.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

pjdunn1,
great post about life during snow.

i agree with and sympathize w/those who lost power - that kind of does change everything.... i never lost power during any of the snows last winter, but we get a touch of wind/rain during the summer and - boom - power goes out. weird.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 7, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm just a snow loving fool- I'd love a ton more of the white stuff!

Of course, I am sure I'd be singing a different tune if I had to contend with some of the problems others have on here, such as difficulty getting around, property damage, power outages, etc.....

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 7, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

As a snow-lover it is really disappointing that we have this cold weather, then it warms up for two days and we get rain, and then we have cold weather again. When will we have cold weather and precipitation???

Posted by: cubscapsfan | December 7, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

You guys handily forget the really scary parts of last year's blizzards......extensive power-outages in below-freezing weather, snow piling up faster than you can handle it, endless cleaning-off of outside heat-pump compressors to keep from losing heat, and, of course, roof-collapses. I can't believe that ANY of you want MORE of that. Good grief.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | December 7, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

MMCarhelp,
i hear you about all those troubles, but last year was just so extraordinary. a 10" storm would be so manageable now...

so, we're probably "supposed" to, optimistically, get about 15" this winter. would you rather have one 15" storm or three 5" storms?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 7, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Im all for a 1997-1998 winter!!!!

0.1"

Hopefully La Nina does it for us this year! We need a no snow winter after last year ;)

Posted by: KRUZ | December 7, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

walter-in-falls-church, given the premise of your question, I'll take the three 5-inchers, even though I drive a Subaru that laughs at snowstorms.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | December 7, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

MMCarhelp,
me too! but of course, i'd prefer three 15"ers....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 8, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

YUK! Hate it! Not fun being a senior wondering how emergency vehicles could get to me or others. The snow insists on drifting to my side of the street. Not fun losing all my vacation to snow days. Not fun having to pay hundreds of dollars to be dug out. But I can handle a few 5" snowfalls.

Posted by: MsBahHumbug | December 8, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The only (and I do mean, ONLY) good thing about the snows last winter were Walter's sculptures.

I'd be happy not seeing another flake this winter. I could tolerate 15 inches spread over two or three events. Any more than that will be too much for me.

Posted by: mhardy1 | December 8, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

The big storm led to me missing a Super Bowl party in Richmond, so it wasn't exactly Mother Nature's finest moment in my book. I like a couple of storms, but smaller in nature and clear streets within 2-3 days. That's why I live in Virginia and not upstate New York.

Posted by: ValleyCaps | December 8, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse