The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 2:50 PM ET, 12/16/2010

It's snowing & sticking! Up to 2" expected.

By Capital Weather Gang

2:50 p.m. Snow continues to decrease in coverage and intensity, and we may be hard pressed to get substantially more accumulation. Interestingly, the steadiest snow is now north of the District, where models had projected the least snow - but that activity is breaking up too. For the next hour or two, snow looks to be quite light and intermittent. The National Weather Service has posted a map with snow totals through about 12:30 p.m. At that time, maximum totals were around 2" to the southwest. We continue to get reports of 1" or so around the metro region.

2:15 p.m. Now for some better news: radar shows the snow breaking up a bit toward the mountains so we'll probably see the snow gradually let up starting around 3 p.m. in the western suburbs. That probably caps accumulation potential to around 2" in the immediate metro region. In Frederick, Md. a snow emergency has been announced as chemicals for melting ice/snow have failed because it's so cold. In Virginia, between 5 a.m. and noon, there were 580 calls to the state trooper for traffic crashes. Here are some of your reports:

@randomduck: 1 inch measured at Georgetown U. (Photo)
@drgardner: About 1.5" now in Leesburg.

1:50 p.m.: Just when we had almost driven a fork through the weekend threat, models are bringing it closer to the coast, increasing the risk for more snow. Weather model wonks, the European model shows a strong coastal low...

With temperatures through afternoon mainly steady in the low-to-mid 20s, every flake will continue to stick until the snow peters out from west to east around 4-6 p.m., making for a potentially slow and slippery afternoon/evening rush.

Keep reading for earlier updates and comment with your reports...

1:40 p.m.: Federal workers have the option of heading home early (if they take leave) according to the Federal Eye blog. Snow continues to fall with totals generally around 1" in the metro region and more to the south.

1 p.m. Some delays at National Airport as many locations are approaching 1". Want a little more than text and pictures? Check out the live video chat with CWG's chief meteorologist, Jason Samenow, now getting underway.

12:15 p.m. The first general snow of the season has arrived in the D.C. area and it has snow lovers saying "YAY!!!" with childish glee, and snow haters saying "yay" with sarcastic dread of the winter to come.

At least the start of today's storm was well-timed, with the flakes having held off until after this morning's commute. Since beginning in the metro area around 10 a.m., though, reports indicate the light but steady snow has already accumulated a 1/2 inch or so in many spots (closer to or passing 1 inch to the south and west of D.C., in places like Stafford County and Chantilly, Va.) and a number of schools have called it a day (see latest school closings).

We're expecting total accumulations of around 2" in most spots (toward the higher end of the range shown on our accumulation forecast map; see storm timeline too), except a little less for the far northern suburbs and a little more for the far southern suburbs. The storm's "sweet spot" (~3-5") is focused well to the south, around Fredericksburg, Charlottesville and Richmond.

The potential for another storm this weekend has diminished (cue the divergent reactions of snow lovers and haters) [2:00 p.m. update: this was posted based on last night's model runs - newest model runs bring back snow chances];. Any warm-up in store? Find out in David Streit's full forecast.

Now for some eyewitness reports from Twitter...

@drgardner: Appears to be about an inch, give or take an eighth, in Leesburg. Slow, but pretty steady.
@hackeynut: Things seem to be getting treacherous at conn ave and k st. (photo)

And a comment from our blog...

conchfc: 13th & I -- my colleagues have stupidly gotten into their cars and are trying to flee back to the suburbs. Um, it is going to stop in a few hours and the roads will be plowed. Better to wait unless you must get home for kids.

Stay tuned for more snow updates through the day

By Capital Weather Gang  | December 16, 2010; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Latest, Updates, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Snow covering metro region
Next: PM Update: Snow to wind down but cold

Comments

I could be wrong but just from looking at the radar and weather.com's "true point" future radar(i have no idea how accurate this is), it looks like the snow could hang on later than 4-6

is this possible?

Posted by: cjespn | December 16, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So pretty, yet sadly inadequate for a ravenous snowlover.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 16, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

AMEN, FIREDRAGON47! Like a spoiled child when you give me a little I want some more MUCH more. This is very nice however...

Posted by: Rcmorgan | December 16, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

is it me or have daily high temperatures this December trended lower than the forecasts? No way we are getting to 26 or 27 today

Posted by: rocotten | December 16, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

rocotten; I agree, we have been hovering around 20 all day in Reston...every day this week has been colder than forecasted. Seems to be a trend.

Posted by: parksndc | December 16, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@cjespn

As the storm's low-pressure center and associated energy progress east, we may see the precip shield split somewhat. So not everything to the west and into W.V. necessarily makes it in here. Flurry activity may linger later, but I think accumulating snow still shuts off in the metro area by or during the 4-6 pm range. -Dan, CWG

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | December 16, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the storm on Sunday is shifting west and if it does move west enough....we might get snow? is this true?

Posted by: lll1424 | December 16, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Even shifting west, it will need to continue to trend fruther west to give us anything signifigant. What's the word on the Euro? Where can we find it because NWS doesn't have it on their site?

Posted by: dustinmfox1 | December 16, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I saw the blurb about the storm looking less likely over the weekend. How can you say that? If anything, it's looking more likely with the trends from last night into today. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I don't see how someone can say it is trending away from a storm. This is similar to what happened last year for our December 19 blockbuster.

Posted by: sdeclue | December 16, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

3/4" so far in Linthicum, in northern AA County. Didn't think we'd get much more than a dusting, but it looks like a slight band set up over us and out into Howard County over the past few hours.

Posted by: allagar | December 16, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------
I said the same thing.......

Posted by: lll1424 | December 16, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Joe Bastardi is standing firm on the weekend snowstorm. While admitting the worst of the storm will be to the East and Northeast, he firmly believes the DC and Baltimore areas will see 3-6 inches. He was definitely right on today...and with the overall pattern. Called for 2-3 inches in DC today and an inch all the way up to the PA border. Here is Carroll County we have about 1/2 inch already and judging by the radar we could get a couple more.

Posted by: DLO1975 | December 16, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

the euro just did something very interesting bringing snow for sunday to this area!! yeah!!!

Posted by: lll1424 | December 16, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

eric,
MFY (my front yard) is reporting 1.27" so far.

CWG,
looking at this, why aren't we expecting a big "second wave"? what's going to happen to that blue/green stuff that's in wv now? does that all fall in the mountains?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 16, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

WOW!
this is fun.... i just measured my porch accumulation levels zip code 20171 (herndon, VA.) has around 1.3 inches of snow! as the name implies... i'm ecstatic. Also, im hoping for a repeat of last year, "oh just a 30% chance of snow// one day later// 16-24+ inches!!" yea... bring on the snow this sunday.

Posted by: SnowDreamer | December 16, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

1-2 inches my frozen behind. I just drove from the Wheaton library to White Oak. Not my idea of good time. The parking lot already had what looked like an inch, with more snow coming.

Posted by: epjd | December 16, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I just saw the 12z Euro as well and it still has the storm riding up the coast.

Posted by: ajmupitt | December 16, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

1.27 sounds like one of the higher amounts in this area. Hopefully National will make their inch and your prediction will only be two days off (IIRC you predicted the 14th)

Posted by: eric654 | December 16, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

1.5 inches in South Arlington, but cars were spinning out on South George Mason an hour ago, and some blivet just drove his van into my recycling bin. Oh, LOADS of winter fun.

Posted by: Hyperlocal | December 16, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Weekend storm is definitely being brought back to life. We'll have more on this. Wes is doing a post for this evening after the snow ends

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 16, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I brought this up yesterday...the models for this Sun are giving us a different forecast every other day; no snow, wait snow, no snow, wait snow...eh, no snow. With that trend...it should snow on Sunday.

Posted by: parksndc | December 16, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Arlington County is not releasing students early (that's a whole other story). I do not have a window in my room. I am missing this beautiful snowfall- and won't experience it until dusk, on the road, in rush hour :(

We will have at least one other event, I am sure of it- fingers crossed I'll get to enjoy the next one!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 16, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

It's nuts in Centreville. I saw at least 2 shoving matches at Giant, a woman was on the floor sobbing in the bottled watter aisle, and a SUV was on its side on Stone Road.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm still at work downtown, but my 8th grader in Falls Church swears that we have "at least 5 inches!!!" :)

Posted by: ndygrl | December 16, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Frederick, and we already have about 6 inches here and it's falling heavily.

Posted by: johnfchick1 | December 16, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

From the Nexrad radar (http://www.wunderground.com/radar/map.asp) the precip intensity and coverage to the west has definitely dwindled. Looks like the precip may be ending way sooner than 4-6pm - at least any accumlating snows.

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I am so excited for this weekend. I am a huge snowlover and the fact that the storm is making a comeback is music to my ears.

Posted by: lll1424 | December 16, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

For area merchants, let's hope weekend storm is a miss. They lost the biggest Xmas shopping weekend last year. Hate to see that happen again.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 16, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What do you think is going to happen with the schools tomorrow? All roads seem like a mess right now.

Posted by: cubscapsfan | December 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Opening schools tomorrow would be a complete disaster. It's not safe to be outside, period.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 16, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I made a run this morning to the Pentagon Costco to pick up photo Holiday cards. It opened early and wasn't bad going in, but cars were around the block to get in when I left.

Just got back from a run to the new BJs in Falls Church. Did put the truck in 4 wheel drive as there was one spot on a hill on Patrick Henry Drive where there were min 4 cars stuck trying to get up the hill. The BJs was largely empty, well stocked, and a breeze getting into and out of. If they had a photo center, I'd never go to Costco again.

Bottom line - we have an easy 1.5 to 2" on the ground, and unfortunately on the roads. Saw one guy go up over the curb trying to stop on the way home. The evening rush will be ugly.....

Posted by: Flyover_Country | December 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

With the snow ending so early I really can't imagine many schools being closed tomorrow. Plenty of time to deal with such a light even. I wouldn't be surprised by a few late starts though.

Posted by: megamuphen | December 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

People are fleeing the city like rats from a sinking ship. I-66 is backed-up from Rosslyn to beyond where I got off on Glebe Rd.

Posted by: johnnyd2 | December 16, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@ThinkSpring: For merchants AND for 9-5 M-F employees, let's hope that the weekend storm hits late Sunday into Monday. :)

Posted by: rj2835a | December 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

snow has really tapered off at MFY.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Snow essentially over in Ashburn.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 16, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Breton Bay is frozen. Driving home, I was really grateful for the lack of buses on the roads. Thank you St Mary's County Schools! About 2 1/2 inches in my yard right now and still coming down.

Posted by: jenniej | December 16, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Snow appears to be slowing down at 29 and Nutley in Fairfax . . . I can see 29 from my office (heading toward Fairfax Circle, uphill), and traffic appears to moving nicely. Doesn't look like much to write home about.

Posted by: Gunga2009 | December 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gunga2009 | December 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flyover_Country | December 16, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Sun trying to break through the clouds out here in Bristow. Snow is down to flurry activity for the most part.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | December 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

An early dismissal- YAY! Should have been even earlier though, roads are bad. It took me 45 minutes to go 1 mile in Alexandria city due to so many cars that had spun out and were blocking the roads. Be careful and enjoy the snow!!!

Posted by: icecubedownthetoilet | December 16, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing lightly but steadily up near BWI. 1.5" and counting!

Posted by: allagar | December 16, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Re early dismissal, don't waste your time. Rush hour on 66W started at 1:30. It started to get better at 2:30 until they blocked the whole thing to plow a smidgen of slush. Now the green arrow lane is blocked west of Nutley. The snow is over, just wait out the traffic.

Posted by: eric654 | December 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

From other entry: 1 1/8 inches an hour ago in Silver Spring. With the sun out now, I think it's ended for me.

Posted by: Murre | December 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

2.11" down on my deck in Spotsy

Posted by: panthersny | December 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Over in Leesburg!

Posted by: greg2010 | December 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@ ThinkSpring, not all merchants did badly last year. A friend of mine has a clothing store in Old Town and made out very well--people stayed in town to do their Christmas shopping AND the people stranded in the area hotels needed warm clothes for the weekend! Store specific and area specific for sure, but it reminded me :).

And this is due for Sunday, anyway, right? :)

Posted by: freckleface | December 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I am going to the Ravens game on Sunday. I would absolutely love to watch the game in a blizzard! And, that stadium is well served by rail, so no worried about traffic.

@ThinkSpring, I would've thought the super hot summer we had would've satisfied you for a while...

Posted by: maymay1 | December 16, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope schools are open tomorrow. Having schools closed with the grass still showing will have my Buffalo relatives laughing for hours.

Posted by: MMaskul | December 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

2 inches, schools closed, traffic at a standstill. Boy how wimpy can you get.

Posted by: leberk | December 16, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

You all faring ok? But laughing about how DC handles its snow, too, I see? :-) Schools probably open tomorrow--maybe just a 2 hour delay--that is my guess.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

1.2" in Rockville. Very tiny, sparse flakes still falling.

Posted by: DOG3521 | December 16, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Less than an INCH of Snow and the Feds are told to go home

Lets do more than just FREEZE their pay
Nowhere else in the WORLD do you get paid for attendance---and the FEDs are now getting paid WITHOUT attendance

Posted by: syoung29 | December 16, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Camden, just crossing my fingers for a change in the Sat night forecast...btw, Jason did a great job with his video piece.

Posted by: parksndc | December 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

syoung29 - Understand the concern...but uh, they ARE salary so they get paid for the work they do no matter how long it does or doesn't take. It's not just Feds leaving work early too.

Posted by: parksndc | December 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, easy there big fella. Snow's here. It's all good. Plenty of private businesses are telling people to leave early and there's nothing wrong with taking some reasonable precautions. We do not have the infrastructure that Buffalo does to deal with snow, nor do taxpayers want DC to commit those kind of funds.

Posted by: horacemann | December 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Syoung39-

Don't know what your source is, but OPM says unscheduled leave/telework right now.

Why let facts get in the way of a good anti-Fed rant, right?

Posted by: mason08 | December 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Syoung: People are being allowed to leave work early, but that's only to telework at home or to take leave. They're not being paid to take the rest of the day off.

Posted by: rj2835a | December 16, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Syoung39-
OPM says unscheduled leave/telework right now.

Why let facts get in the way of a good anti-Fed rant, right?

Posted by: mason08 | December 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@horacemann There is only 1 inch of snow. What kind of infrastructure is needed for that? And people leaving early just made the commute worse because here in Arlington the roads were just salted an hour ago.

Posted by: MMaskul | December 16, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Salt, sand, enough trucks to distribute it, buses with appropriate tires, workers. Not to mention a large percentage of the populace unaccustomed to dealing with any snow. No one is screaming blizzard, but an hour or two to spread the rush hour out hardly seems a big deal either.

Posted by: horacemann | December 16, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Its only dangerous because people in dc don't know how to drive. This is not enough snow that dc not having the infrastructure would matter. Today I saw so many cars speed up to make it through a yellow light, only to have to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting the car in front of them. This is a normal occurance for DC, of course, but with a bit of snow on a ground stopping time is increased. That's what causes accidents. 1" of snow on the road is only dangerous if you drive like its not there. slow down by 5 mph, stop honking at the sensible drivers in front of you, turn on some holiday music and enjoy the snow. You'll actually get home faster by avoiding that stop at the emergency room and maybe lower your blood pressure at the same time.

Posted by: NY152 | December 16, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse