The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:30 PM ET, 12/27/2010

Name the non-storm

By Jason Samenow

We're not going to get into the habit of naming every storm and non-storm. Naming will customarily be reserved for the big ones that don't come along very often. That we didn't solicit names prior to Sunday's storm should have served as a sign that we didn't think it was going to be anything special.

Nonetheless, because quite a few readers volunteered names for Sunday's no-show storm, we thought we'd put some of them up for a vote. The ones that made the cut required more than one mention in comments since Sunday...

By Jason Samenow  | December 27, 2010; 7:30 PM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang, Humor, Latest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Big wind slowly subsides
Next: Forecast: Winds wane, warm 2011 welcome

Comments

I can't believe that close but 'sno cigar is in LAST place!!! I voted for that one.. This is DESPICABLE! :)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

@CapitalWeatherGang

How much more web traffic did this site receive this weekend than normal?

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

How about "The 2010 Christmas Hole"? Or the "Great Snowy Hype"?

Posted by: waterloom | December 27, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Close but 'sno cigar is really creative!

Posted by: orangelauren | December 27, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I have scanned the national news & nowhere do I see any mention of fatalities from this storm.
Amazing.
Perhaps people listened to the weather forecasts & took precautions. How weird would that be.

That wind is really making a racket out there tonight.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 27, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Nomageddon.

Posted by: detrinex | December 27, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Nomageddon would be my preference.

Posted by: detrinex | December 27, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

This storm was a heartbreaker because we needed only about a fraction of an inch more snow at DCA to top 40" for the calendar year. As noted previously today, this is the data that will appear on the 2012 World Alamanc's "Annual Climatoligical Data for U.S Cities for 2010" page. Cruel!

Consolation: about 55" of snow in Glover Park in CY10. Not so bad...

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 27, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we should name storms that don't materialize for us. It just dilutes the tradition.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 27, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Wes should be given an A+ for effort, even if the storm didn't materialize. It was a situation where, unlike last year, the models were flipping every which way and could never get a handle on the situation. It was frankly a forecaster's worst nightmare.

This was a massive storm that set records from South Carolina to Hew England. There is no way any meteorologist in the world could predict that DC would end up in a tiny snow hole. It's like the storm literally swerved around us.

Just goes to show that despite tremendous technological advances in forecasting that Mother Nature still has the last word.

Posted by: frontieradjust | December 27, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

The NWS in Buffalo, NY names their lake-effect snow events each year based on a theme. Check out: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakeffect/08-09.html

I suppose we can start picking themes when we run out of "mageddon" and "pocalypse" type names.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Snomagetnone!

Posted by: Snakeheader | December 27, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

snow lot of nothing.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 27, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I know its nearly impossible to know but what are the odds of us seeing a storm this year that we have to measure in feet? I know a lot of people are tired of the snow after last year but I am so ready for another big storm especially looking at the mountains of snow up north.

Looking forward to a snowy 2011!

Posted by: deeeeeep18 | December 27, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@deeeeeep18

It's probably a little less than average. Moderate La Ninas (like we have this year) aren't usually conducive to big snow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

This is it, snowtease 2010!

Posted by: mkbf26 | December 27, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Aw crap.

Posted by: deeeeeep18 | December 27, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

KBurchfiel,
agree. someone on another thread suggested the name "sunday". seems appropriate.

i take it your snow driving practice went well the other day?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 27, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately, no practice was necessary. I just chilled at a friend's house that was within walking distance.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 28, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

You all at home can be thankful that the storm passed East of DC. Here in NY where I am visiting, the storm was no laughing matter. I'd vote for "Snowicane" up here. We had hurricane-force winds, thunder, and snow at the rate of 2" an hour, for more than a day. Much of NJ got 30"+. My part of NY got 20-24". My daughter's flight supposed to leave JFK late yesterday afternoon finally left after midnight tonight... and they were among the first planes out. Every form of travel will be trying all week to get back to some semblance of normal. I hope I can get back to DC by tomorrow night, if at all possible.

Posted by: nan_lynn | December 28, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nan_lynn | December 28, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

"Close but sno' cigar" IS creative, clever and otherwise so worthy, its low rank suggests some kind of bigotry. How many of us, who look up to snow, feel cigars, the smelly things, are beneath snow or oughta be?

Posted by: jhbyer | December 28, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

"The Best Snowstorm Ever!"

Posted by: zmrzlina_35 | December 28, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"We're not going to get into the habit of naming every storm and non-storm. Naming will customarily be reserved for the big ones that don't come along very often."

We're going to hold you to this. The silly names were fun at first, but it's just getting annoying now.

Posted by: tlpeople | December 28, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse