The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 12/27/2010

PM Update: Big wind slowly subsides

By Ian Livingston

Post-blizzard wind, minus the snow! At least we don't have to worry about drifting. Wind speeds sustained as high as 30 mph+ have made highs largely in the mid-30s feel more like the teens and 20s throughout the day. Some noteable gusts include 48 mph at National, and 53 mph at both Cleveland Park and American University in D.C. -- similar numbers have been reported across the region. Even in a December with lots of cold wind, this has been a difficult day to be outside for long.

Through Tonight: Mostly clear and cold. The wind advisory continues through 9 p.m., but things calm considerably as the night wears on, with sustained wind between 20 mph early and 10 mph by morning. Lows fall to near 20 in the suburbs to the lower 20s downtown.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): It's still going to be cold and breezy but it should feel a lot better than today. Mostly sunny skies (some afternoon clouds?) and a still decreasing northwesterly breeze mix with highs in the mid-30s to near 40.

See Jason Samenow's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

What would you headline or name Sunday's storm? In various posts in the last day, CWG visitors have come up with some creative names for the non-storm (in the D.C. area). A few examples: "Beach blizzard, beltway bust", "No-mageddon", and "False Alarm-mageddon". Send us your ideas and we'll put up a poll so you can vote on the best ones tonight...

By Ian Livingston  | December 27, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Incredible time lapse video of New Jersey snow
Next: Name the non-storm

Comments

I like "False Alarm-mageddon".

Posted by: rwalker66 | December 27, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Snope.

Posted by: DMTerp02 | December 27, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

rwalker66 & DMTerp02 - good suggestions ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I've given it a lot of thought, and you know, meteorology is a very interesting business, isn't it? Sometimes, Mother Nature has a mind of her own, regardless of what the computer models are telling you.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I had been tracking this system for about 15 days prior to Christmas. By last weekend, it became increasingly clear that the DC area could be in for a blockbuster monster snowmaggedon. The Euro model had been pumping out about 15 to 20 inches across the board. Some meteorologists took this more seriously than others. The Euro continued in that trend for a few days, but then Wednesday night, I believe, it joined all the others in predicting a glancing blow. By then I had lost hope.

For the next few days I didn't give the storm any thought. I don't think any of us did. When I head the meteorologists say that they'd be watching every model closely, I thought it was a joke. But then on Christmas eve, things started to change. By Chrismtas morning, the GFS was pumping out 16" for the metro area and even more to the east. But then, of course, things to a nose dive. Again. By yesterday evening is became increasingly clear that we wouldn't get much.

I must say, however, that I truly appreciate the Capital Weather Gang being here for us 24/7/365. Even at all hours of the night early on Christmas morning CWG never failed to keep us informed. Like I've said before, don't they ever give you guys a day off? This is without a doubt, a city in which the weather is very hard to predict. This storm proved it. Up until this storm, I only checked CWG periodically, but after seeing their remarkable performance this time around, I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed. The snow totals, on the other hand, aren't as impressive as I was hoping they'd be. Where I am, it was a dusting, but the dusting was gone by this morning. I recall yesterday someone commented that she had seen a dusting of pollen thicker than this!

Oh well, there's still two full months of winter left for a good old fashioned blizzard. My hope is that the next one will be measured in feet, not inches!

PS - I vote for Snope!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

BobMiller2 - hey there, you have been a great commenter this past weekend. Chaos Effect in the atmosphere will reign, even if we were to have data sensors at one-foot increments throughout the atmosphere, tiny perterbations would make weather models useless after a while. The mathematics behind what goes into a weather model and what we see coming out of them (their predictions) is the best we have--and is currently bounded by this Chaos Theory. It is just a realization of how complex our atmosphere is!
But you're right, it makes the business very interesting.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Snowhere"...

Posted by: LostInFallsChurch | December 27, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout that storm the GFS shows at 324 hrs? It would give us 20+ inches if verified. Obviously a fantasy at this point, but in light of this weekend, one must look forward to something.

Posted by: bdeco | December 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't name the duds.
It encourages more such events.
A storm has to perform to get a title.

Let the New Yorkers & the Jersey folks hang a label on this one. I'm sure they have lots of nice names for it right about now.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 27, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@bdeco - are you CRAZY????? Do you realize that's like 2 weeks away??? I can't believe you're serious!!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Why does every storm (or non storm) have to have a name now?

Posted by: amorris525 | December 27, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bdeco | December 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------------------------
CWG, where is bdeco (the author of the above comment) getting access to these weather models... I thought that only meteorologists could see them. Can you send me a link to the one that predicts snow accumulation? Thank you!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

bdeco, way far out.. definitely fantasy at this point. That said, looks like the -NAO wants to tank again after a week or two break in the cold. It's been pretty consistent for almost 2 yrs now. If it does, we'll run into cold and storm threats for sure.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

snowhere

Posted by: mkbf26 | December 27, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@amorris525

It doesn't and we'll usually reserve naming for just the big ones. But a lot of folks like to show off their creativity and have offered suggestions, so we're rolling with it...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

BobMiller2, you can access the main American models here. The storm bdeco is mentioning is this one I believe.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I was disappointed that all we got were a few flakes. Looks like another Snow Go for the DC area.

Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | December 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

'sno storm

Posted by: wpbaud | December 27, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

For this weekend in D.C.:
Snowhere?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 27, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

How about this:

Sunday.

Posted by: mason08 | December 27, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Since someone else had already taken snowhere, so I'll go with:
'Snowjoke.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

My vote for a name for the "storm":
Bluster bust

Posted by: climategirl | December 27, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Since the models were all over the place, I vote for Schizo-no-snowia for the weekend miss.

Posted by: formerwxman1 | December 27, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: formerwxman1 | December 27, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

It's a snow lover's dream come true!

Source: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/index.php

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I didn't come up with this, but the name I like the most is: Snowtease :(

Posted by: dantebouchot | December 27, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

What snowstorm?

Posted by: eabgarnet | December 27, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Latest from Joisey: Hurrah for Rahway, which measured 32" of snow.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 27, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Snowtease is my favorite, too. I am so upset about the lack of snow yesterday. Hoping that the two weeks from now snow materializes, but not counting on it.

Posted by: HokieTerp | December 27, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Forecaster's Nightmare

Posted by: violindan | December 27, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Let NE and NY/NJ/PA/DE name it. They have plenty of time to think of a name while they're digging out.

Posted by: mason08 | December 27, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

It's -14°F at the South Pole.

Isn't that kind of warm for them (relatively speaking)?

Source: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/NZSP.html

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Northern New Jersey and New England has the right to call it "Snowmageddon 2: Electric Boogaloo", or whatever they choose.

For us, the storm should be called "Windbag"

Posted by: marklandterrapins | December 27, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping for the tanking NAO. And also, I like 'sno storm best so far.

Posted by: manassasmissy | December 27, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@manassasmissy

--I think that should go without saying... I know that all of us snow lovers would be very greatful to have a cold Jan/Feb! But dadgummit, that la niña isn't doing us any favors!

Who else here wants AT LEAST 3 feet out of the next storm? Actually, I think I'm gonna raise that to 4 feet! Just remember one thing... only Mother Nature knows for sure what's going to play out! :)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

ALCON,
My above post was a joke. Just wanted to add some levity to the situation. If we had such trouble with the models within 72 hrs, obviously anything at 300+ hrs is to be taken with a grain of salt. Personally, I don't put a lot of stock into anything projected over 150 hrs out.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if it came to pass? :)

Posted by: bdeco | December 27, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Re: BobMiller2 "The NWS 8 - 14 day forecast is calling for BELOW average temps and ABOVE average precipitation! What does that make? Snow!!!!!!!

It's a snow lover's dream come true!"

Not if its warm when it rains and cold when its dry, much like normal.

Re: storm name? How 'bout "broo-mageddon" because we had all this accumulation to sweep away.

Alternative, if I'm allowed is "shopvac-mageddon" because a shopvac could blow this accumulation (or lack thereof) away.

Posted by: fatmoki | December 27, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

NoSnow4U

Posted by: VAOrangeFish | December 27, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

S'no way
S'no cumulation

Posted by: somdcommuter | December 27, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@fatmoki

Yes, but haven't you seen the latest GFS model??

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

How about names for the THREE-get that?
THREE blizzards we had last year starting December 4th, and the last one was the lollapalooser on Christmas Eve!! We were all trapped for almost a week here in western Iowa, especially in the rural areas where I live. Had another bad snowstorm in early January, we got 36 inches of snow in 25 days, and it was on the ground until April. Bunch of wussies
to make such a big deal about one storm.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | December 27, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mention the 50-60 mile/hour winds that didn't let up for days, with each of those blizzards. We had mountains of snow twice as high as those shown on the news today, and that was where plows were able to clear out, major highways just kept blowing shut, again and again, days after the snows actually fell. When the east coast has the same momentous, numbing criteria, I'll think about a little empathy, NOT TODAY!!!!

Posted by: patriotgmalou | December 27, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

@patriotgmalou - before you stroke out, you might want to read a bit more of the posts here. Nobody's complaining about the snow here in Washington, because we didn't get any. We're competing to name the storm that didn't happen.

Thanks for playing...

Posted by: wpbaud | December 27, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"Sno Close"

"Close but Sno' Cigar"

Posted by: tws1372 | December 27, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Dolly Parton, since it was a big bust.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 27, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@tws1372

OK, close but 'sno cigar is a WINNER! I love it!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 27, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Is there any way to tell how long this warming trend starting tomorrow is due to last?

Posted by: AshleyD11 | December 27, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I just realize my question above is sort of silly: of course there are ways to forecast. I suppose what I meant is, how far in advance is it possible to get a somewhat scientific forecast?
I'm getting married the weekend of the 8th and am already very anxious about what the weather might be like...
P.S.-Loving all the names for the no-snow storm! Wish I was that creative!

Posted by: AshleyD11 | December 27, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

@AshleyD11

An idea of the forecast 6-8 days, somewhat accurate 3-5 days, detailed & generally accurate 1-3 days.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

@Ashley

I can't help with the forecast, but your question got me reminiscing---I was married in Reston on Jan. 17 1987, left for my honeymoon in Hawaii the next day, and completely missed that big one! I remember spending a couple of days before the wedding being very concerned about the weather... Best of luck to you!

Posted by: skidge | December 27, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Jan 9th and 10th...will be too warm.

Posted by: parksndc | December 27, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse