The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 12/20/2010

PM Update: Chilly lunar eclipse viewing

By Ian Livingston

It's been another cold one, but lately I'll take any day that is warmer than forecast. Highs reached the mid-and-upper 30s, thanks in part to the fact that we are dealing with mainly "stale" cold air. It's still cold, of course, but we haven't seen a new batch of Arctic air recently. Winds have popped back up so any "warmth" was, and continues to be, subtracted when factoring in the wind chill.

Through Tonight: Readings drop back to and below freezing after dark. Winds drop off a bit this evening, but they remain a factor through the night. Fortunately for those eager to see tonight's lunar eclipse (begins at 1:30 a.m.) skies should be partly cloudy at worst. It'll be cold and breezy though, low-to-mid 20s around eclipse time, with temperatures eventually bottoming in the upper teens in the colder suburbs to the low 20s downtown.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): We start with a good deal of sun -- let's call it mostly sunny. Clouds should increase as the day wears on though. Highs look to rise to the mid-30s many spots, perhaps upper 30s downtown. Winds are again sustained around 10 to 15 mph with higher gusts, so wind chills mainly in the 20s. Get ready for temperatures again near-or-below freezing for the official winter solstice at 6:38 p.m. We're pros at that though...

See Jason Samenow's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Sub 40? There was a question about the record for most days with highs below 40 degrees. So far this month we've had 12 such days. The most sub-40 degree days occurred in December, 1876 before the official observing station moved to Reagan National Airport (DCA). After the station move, the most such days at DCA occurred in 1989 with 22. So we have a ways to go to reach a meaningful record. That said, the long-range forecast suggests 2010 could challenge for a high spot on that list. 2009 had just 10.

By Ian Livingston  | December 20, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White Christmas dream *could* come true
Next: Mammoth snow: 13+ feet in four days

Comments

Who's planning to stay up late to see the eclipse -- anyone? I think it is too late for me on a work night. Drat!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Why does this site take SO long to load? It's getting very frustrating especially since I like to check if often. CWG is the best!

Posted by: allisondt | December 20, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@allisondt

Thanks for the comment. We have a lot of moving parts on the blog-- which causes the load time to be a little longer than we'd like sometimes. We're looking at ways to improve this.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 20, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya, allisondt. Year over year, there are some improvements, but we just have a content-heavy page that cannot load fast. Hopefully as time goes on, the Post will move us to faster servers, upgrade some of the code on the page, and/or change the formatting so that less content loads at one time. I must say I have gotten frustrated, but I know that we need the advertisements (as one example of content that must load each time) to support the site. I am also optimistic there will be a mobile app for Android before long. That will also streamline a faster delivery of CWG content. Thanks for visiting us often!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate this site and the slowness makes it hard to deal with too. I know I am impatient :) But I want to know my weather. At least it's not just me.

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: allisondt | December 20, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Loading ads...? That's what AdBlock is for in Firefox.
Oops, did I just say that out loud?

Seriously this site rules and I pretty much tell people I know to read it and not mess around with websites from TV stations or "weather.com." My darling wife will watch the TV news weather, and there just isn't enough analysis or regular updates to be useful around here in the winter.

I read this site, and I read the Am WX Mid 'lant forum pages. Is that what the 2010 word "crowdsourcing" means??

Posted by: AndrewRockville | December 20, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Camden, I probably won't stay up either. The prenumbral eclipse starts about an hour earlier but...

I'm sure someone will post pictures. Here's one I took during the 2008 eclipse.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 20, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@Camden I'm such a night owl I'll probably be up at 3AM whether there's an eclipse or not. At least I'll have a good reason to be up so late tonight. :P

Posted by: SpeedLimit186000 | December 20, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately for me I work weird hours and I will be up to see most of the eclipse. That reminds me... it's past my bed time. 'Night and think Christmas snow y'all!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 20, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Ditto about loving CWG but being very frustrated about slow loads. Site is impossible to read sometimes on iphone for as long as a minute (even with wifi connection) as when you try to scroll down it jumps back to top until page completely loads.

Posted by: caphillse | December 20, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Hi CWG. I agree with the slow loads, but tonight there is a new glitch. When you click on thhe link to see the rest of the forecast, it takes you to 12/15. A good day, but I believe tomorrow is Tuesday, not Thursday.

Posted by: erbele | December 20, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Most days over 90 in the summer, then the potential for most days under 40 in December? Are there any other years that show similar extremes of temperature? I'd love to see a list of places in which heat and cold records were broken in the same year... And I wonder if this is becoming more common?

Posted by: josh28 | December 20, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

AndrewRockville: you're still using Firefox? I loved that browser, but then I started using Google Chrome. Much, much faster. Don't be out of date! :-P

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 21, 2010 2:49 AM | Report abuse

The lunar eclipse is beautiful! Clear sky here in Montgomery County and great view. Woke my kids up so they could see it too!

Posted by: soleil2000 | December 21, 2010 3:19 AM | Report abuse