The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 12/ 6/2010

PM Update: Cold winds keep on blowing

By Ian Livingston

It sure felt like winter out there today. Despite a fair amount of sun intermixed with some cloudier periods, temperatures have only risen into the mid-and-upper 30s for highs. And don't let those numbers fool you, when you add in winds sustained above 20-25 mph much of the day, wind chills have been even lower. Hopefully you're getting used to it, as even though today might have been the peak of the winds, it's going to stay breezy and cold for a while still.

Through Tonight: We'll see passing clouds into the evening and maybe even a flurry or two. The overnight is partly-to-mostly cloudy. Winds remain pretty strong, though they back off a bit from today. They're sustained around 15 mph with gusts mainly into the 20-30 mph range. Lows reach the numbing mid-20s most spots, maybe upper 20s downtown.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): A mostly cloudy start gives way to some breaks during the day. Overall, we're probably partly cloudy on the whole. Winds from the northwest kick up a bit again, sustained from 15-20 mph with gusts past 30 mph. Highs don't feel too high, making it to only the mid-and-upper 30s.

See Brian Jackson's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Wintry winds: Wind gusts at the major reporting stations in the area have been surpassing 30 mph most of the day. Peak gusts have clocked in at 38 mph at both National and Dulles airports, with 44 mph at Baltimore-Washington. In the high country to our west, winds and snow are combining to create whiteout conditions across parts of the W.Va. and Md. peaks. In portions of West Virginia, blizzard warnings have been issued.

By Ian Livingston  | December 6, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snowmageddon - the book!
Next: Forecast: When will the cold winds stop?

Comments

Holy crap tomorrow is not Thursday!

(You totally made me panic that somehow I had been sitting in this starbucks for 48 hours and had missed my two presentations tomorrow and a rehearsal on Wednesday!)

Posted by: megamuphen | December 6, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@megamuphen

Thanks for catching the typo - now fixed.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Thought I missed 2 days, I know my memories bad at age 62, but I didn't think it was that bad. Thank goodness it isn't.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 6, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

It's only Monday.. sigh.. a cold, cold Monday ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to get tired of the wind chimes. At first I thought it was nice since they didn't chime much over the summer, it takes about 20 mph to get them going. Now they are chiming constantly to remind me how cold it feels outside.

Posted by: eric654 | December 6, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

It's damn cold outside. Damn cold.

May be stating the obvious, and isn't the highfalutin weather comment this crowd might appreciate, but there you have it.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 6, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

It should snow if it's this cold. Logical, I say. Though Mother Nature and I do not agree, right now... :P

Posted by: MKoehl | December 6, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree it's cold and the wind isn't helping. High today of 27, currently 19 in the Blue Ridge Mtns east of Front Royal. Saw some flurries this afternoon.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 6, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Too DRY to snow...same as the 2008/09 La Nina winter.

Ensemble members for Sunday's storm seem little changed from the run earlier today...looks like a rain/mix or rain event with one or two snow outliers.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | December 7, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse