The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 12/31/2010

PM Update: Tranquil, cool New Year's Eve night

By Jason Samenow

High clouds have filtered afternoon sunshine but we've still managed to hit 50 degrees or slightly higher in most spots - the first time since December 1. Through the overnight hours, skies remain partly cloudy as temperatures gradually drop back to the low 40s by 8 p.m. and from the upper 30s to near 40 when the New Year rings in. Early in the morning, temperatures stabilize from 32-37 (suburbs to city) as clouds slowly increase.

Happy New Year!!!!

See Camden Walker's forecast for the outlook from tomorrow into early next week...

By Jason Samenow  | December 31, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Mild New Year, before cold returns
Next: Sat update: Weather delays Winter Classic til 8 PM

Comments

First to comment!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 31, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

12z Euro shows a potential wintry weather system to watch for the Thursday/Fri of next week (not GFS). Development looks awfully similar to 12/26 storm with DC on western fringe... Could be another nail biter. Not SLCB time, but could be soon...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 31, 2010 1:50 PM |
-------------------------------------
Can you do an update this evening and give us an analysis of this potential winter storm next week?

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 31, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year everyone!

Here is the hour-by-hour forecast in case you're going out tonight:

5PM: 45° F
6PM: 45° F
7PM: 44° F
8PM: 43° F
9PM: 42° F
10PM: 41° F
11PM: 40° F
12AM (happy new year!) :40° F
1AM: 40° F
2AM: 40° F

P.S. - Stay safe out there on the roads!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 31, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

52° F sure feels nice!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 31, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

BobMiller you must have drunk a lot of coffee.
I thought about washing my car today. But then I decided I liked that wintery salted look.
Everyone be safe out there tonight. Happy New Decade.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 31, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@FIREDRAGON47

The coffee I drank today was decaf! I just enjoy commenting on this site!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 31, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The 12Z euro does not have much support from its ensembles but they do show lots of spread suggesting that all forecasts in that time range are suspect.

Posted by: wjunker | December 31, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2

No more updates tonight. It's New Year's Eve... Happy New Year!

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 31, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason-CapitalWeatherGang-

That's okay... I won't be home tonight anyway...

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 31, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Firedragon47: I washed mine yesterday as soon as the thermometer hit 45. Grime, grime, grime. It sparkles now.

Posted by: tbva | December 31, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Safe evening to everyone.

Posted by: tbva | December 31, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Some may remember the big New Year's Eve snowstorm of 1970-71 (40 years ago!), which started in the afternoon and lasted until the next morning. I don't recall exact storm totals but in College Park where I was living (and partying), about 10" fell. That was a fun, rather dry, drifty snow.

A few years earlier, in 1967, there was also snow on New Year's Eve in D.C. and temps plummeted overnight. The same air mass that had settled over Green Bay during the famous Green Bay-Dallas Ice Bowl game on Dec. 31 froze Washington on Jan 1, 1968.

There was a more recent New Year's Eve snow but I don't recall which year. Just that it shut down a lot of parties.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 31, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Living on a gravel road, I've pretty much given up on having a clean car... but maybe I'll turn the outdoor faucet back on and wash my wife's car tomorrow...

Jerry, to continue our stinkbug discussion... I sometimes use the flush 'em down the toilet method, but the only problem is, without fail, every time I flush the toilet I immediately find two more.

Currently 41.4F after a morning low of 31.6 and an afternoon high temp of 55.9.

Happy New Year.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 31, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Remember both 67 & 70 snows. Drove home in the snow without getting killed or injuried. The dumb things we do in our youth.
Go Hokies beat Stanford.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 31, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@Spgass1, gotta flush fast because the little stinkers can crawl out of the toilet! The heat and drought are gone but the stinkbugs linger on. (Well, I'm not so sure the drought has been completely effaced.)

@VaTechBob, yes, in that 1970 NY's Eve storm, we were out on the Beltway for a couple of hours, looking for party favors. Risking our well being for what? Now, on NY's Eve, I won't even to to the 7-11 for a slurpee.

Anyway, here's hoping 2011 brings snow and lots of it. The ground can use the moisture.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 1, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse