The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 2:30 PM ET, 12/26/2010

Flurries, light snow continue; windy

By Jason Samenow and Dan Stillman

4:55 p.m. update: As some of us squint our eyes to see flakes here in the D.C. area - though a band of light to moderate snow is now trying to move toward the District from the northeast - they're getting hit hard up in Philly, NYC and Boston. Take a look at the intense radar returns headed due north toward Boston and points south as we speak. NWS predicts 12-20 inches for Boston, which along with NYC remains under a Blizzard Warning. Around here, snow lovers continue to pin their hopes on a dusting to an inch through evening.

4:20 p.m. update: In an interesting twist, there's now more snow north and west of I-95 than there is to the east, at least until you get to the western shore of the Bay. That trend will probably eventually reverse course as the storm continues to pivot and ultimately pull away to the northeast. So as we head toward evening we should start to see the east-to-west moving bands of snow shift to west-to-east. All of the snow continues to be light, so it'll be hard for anyone in the metro area, except for right along the Bay, to see more than 1" before the snow moves out later this evening.

3:45 p.m. update: Precipitation on radar is blossoming some, so up to 1" or so is a possibility in a few spots, even west of D.C. This snow, accompanied by gusty winds and subfreezing temperatures, should continue, on-and-off, for the next several hours.

Almost lost in the shuffle of everything happening (or not happening) is the fact a wind advisory was issued for the far western suburbs, including Loudoun, Frederick and northern Fauquier counties for gusts over 45 mph between 9 p.m. tonight and 9 p.m. Monday.

3:10 p.m. update: This storm is now pushing snow well west of I-95 all the way into Loudoun county. Snow is pivoting back to the southwest as the "comma head" develops. This is a process often seen in maturing coastal storms. A lot of the snow is light, but the storm no longer looks to be a shutout for the far western suburbs.

Well to the east, I'm hearing reports of 7" already in Salisbury. A blizzard warning is now in effect for the Delaware beaches (Bethany and Rehoboth) where 12-18 inches of snow may fall when all is said and done, accompanied by wind gusts to 40 mph.

2:30 p.m. update: As the coastal low intensifies and gets closer to our latitude, we're starting to see bands of snow pivot back from east to west. If a light accumulation is going to occur in the metro area, it's most likely to occur over the next several hours as these bands do their best to push westward (although they're fighting dry air). We expect the western cutoff for the snow to be around I-95 although some snow could certainly sneak a bit further west than that at times (and appears to be doing so in a few spots). As the snow and wind pick up and temperatures remain steady or slowly fall toward through the upper 20s, slick spots are possible on the roads.

By Jason Samenow and Dan Stillman  | December 26, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Latest, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow struggling to stretch west of D.C.
Next: Slick spots possible as winds gust

Comments

Centreville VA Got a little snow shower going on here.
I can now say with honesty that we've had almost as much snow here today as yesterday morning's semi-dusting.
I suppose a "trace" still seems possible. Woo-hoo!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 26, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

When we go to bed tonight, we must all pray and pray to God that the next storm will give us at least 4 feet of snow! After all, God does have control over all weather on Earth!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Watch that band on the western edge. Radar has gotten really interesting last hour or so.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

So maybe I will be able to eat my hot turkey sandwich without shovel duty interrupting .....I like it.
Tina in Falls Church

Posted by: tbva | December 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Manassas finally getting some flurrying and the radar is finally showing some batches of snow holding together a bit west of DC.

Looks like we might actually get a little bit out of this.

Posted by: TheJoeGreene | December 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Some nice flakes starting to fall in Ashburn...

Posted by: bodyiq | December 26, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Some snow falling west of DC in Ashburn, eh? Ian's observation of the snow band west of DC is proving accurate! Everyone playing it safe? I like the idea of staying inside and eating a turkey sandwich, haha

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Light to moderate snow falling here in Eldersburg for the last 10 minutes. Dark green band has formed on radar over Carroll County. 27 degrees and windy...starting to stick a bit.

Posted by: DLO1975 | December 26, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Flurries have been steady in Cheverly for a while and ground is slowly turning white. Sure is pretty from inside my warm house.

Posted by: jo_in_cheverly | December 26, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Silver Spring, MD, just west of 95. It has been flurrying here since about 11:30, and now it finally appears to be coming down hard enough to stick a bit.

Posted by: AshleyD11 | December 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Big flakes in sterling but they stopping already...

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Funny weather here in Old Town Alexandria. Abundant tiny flakes, but nothing sticking. Unless something changes we're going to have zero accumulation. Weather channel has us dipping a few degrees to ~26F overnight, so there's hope.

Posted by: eliwho | December 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Pretty pathetic, but what do you expect from La Nina! Even with an apparently perfect UPA setup (BBB(Baffin Bay Block), 50-50 low, and sharp ridge to the west) we still can't get a decent DC snow! If this was last year (El Nino with a strong ST jet in the southern stream) I think the storm would have tracked further west and DC would have been crushed! Let's hope the current La Nina rapidly dissipates!

Posted by: buzzburek | December 26, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Snow is blowing like crazy in Herndon. I don't see how any of it could stick to the ground, seeing as how it is flying sideways. Maybe it'll stick to walls?

Posted by: HokieTerp | December 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

It is flurrying at a good clip here in Burke. I decided that I am going to make the best of this situation and enjoy the nice flakes coming down. : )

Posted by: Yellowboy | December 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Sandwichs with mashed taters, gravy and a pumpkin pie for dessert. Even though hubbay and I did the family dinner yesterday we always miss leftovers...the solution was to make a turkey just for us. We had double veggies yesterday so all carbs today.
Tina in FC

Posted by: tbva | December 26, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Extremely light snow in North Arlington - my walk isn't even wet. We're not even up to the dusting we got on Christmas around here. If we're going to get any accumulation at all, it's going to have to get cooking.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | December 26, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

We've got a few flurries in the air west of Martinsburg, WV. I'm surprised the storm is even hitting this far west!

Posted by: 9nine | December 26, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Steady flurrying in Laurel/Beltsville, nothing to write home about, but it's beginning to add a thin coating to cars and grass. Roads and sidewalks are clean.

Posted by: MikeinDC2 | December 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

HokieTerp - yes there could be some sticking to vertical surfaces. There have been a few items/walls coated here in Fredericksburg.

tbva - sounds like a plan!

Thanks to everyone for reporting on their local conditions.. keep it coming! Stay safe too.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's all make the best of this situation: Turn on the fireplace, have some eggnog and hot cocoa and as Bing Crosby would have said, "dream of a white boxing day!"

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

We've been getting light flurries for an hour in Northern Gaithersburg. No sticking. Just big fluffy flakes blowing by.

Posted by: Weathergeek | December 26, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It's fun* to watch snow blowing sideways.

*best chance for fun experience would be in warm house with lots of cookies.

Continuing show showers here. I suppose that Centreville now probably qualifies for "trace of snow" status. I feel so proud.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ok... Another IAD. Update. The snow that is falling is now more like a very light storm or a (pardon the pun) category 4 flurry. The type of snow that is falling is extremely light and fluffy.. The flakes are approximately .5" across. Current temp. Is aprox. 28F, according to my highly accurate porch thermometer. There is also a good enough amount of wind that the flakes look more like streaks across the sky than actual flakes.... If we can maintain this rate of snowfall, we actually get some accumulation(crosses fingers)

Q: am I actually helping anybody, CWG, or oth., w/ my updates of weather at IAD, or am I just doing it to serve my own thirst to feel so?

Please reply,
SnowDreamer

Posted by: SnowDreamer | December 26, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Heavy band of flurries here in Ashburn for the past 15 minutes or so. Nothing sticking yet.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 26, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Too livid not to double post this.

I'm going to have to say I agree with those in the camp who complain about the forecasting. It's one thing to say something is uncertain, but highly another to say it's uncertain and then have one of your mets get pretty "bullish" about the forecast less than 24 hours out (cough, Wes Junker).

How can forecasters seriously be excused when AMATEUR weather hobbyists can see, clear as day, THE NIGHT BEFORE THE STORM, that the precip is OBVIOUSLY moving south and east of us. Like someone posted earlier, precip does not stop on a dime and turn, the movement is far more gradual along a curvature. I texted my friends last night at midnight assuring them we would receive little to no snow and that all advisories and warnings for the area would be canceled.

I DID A FAR BETTER JOB THAN ANY "PROFESSIONAL" IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND.

My friends, for years, have been relying on my INTERPRETATION of forecasting, because they know I will be objective, unbiased, and more accurate.

The organization is terrible, with forecasters staying tuned to models and updating us within minutes of their output, but then completely disregarding these models once the warnings and watches have been posted. Last night the GFS clearly backed off totals significantly, while the NAM, the Canadian, and the UK models had been supporting this all along. Where were the adjustments following the.se readings? Minimal at best

This isn't about who wants snow and who doesn't. Our predilections don't change the weather. But a lot of people are depending on this forecast and if hobbyists are more accurate with their information over 15 hours before professionals, well I'm sorry, that is a HUGE embarrassment.

That being said, CWG, for what it's worth, has been more effective than the other forecasters in our area. Still too bullish in the face of an obvious bust for my liking, but at least I could sense some objectivity coming from this camp. You guys did a great job until the final hour, then bias and fear of dissonance in forecasting finally got the better of you. If some uneducated 22 year old behind a laptop can make a better short range forecast than there is no way in heck I can call our current system acceptable.

Well, that's it from me. This was my last shot. I'm moving to Seattle soon and this winter is going to be downright balmy from here on out. See you guys in a couple years.

Posted by: bbirnbau | December 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

i came back early for this? what a joke! it is nothing!

Posted by: Canton55 | December 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

BobMiller2 - good call :)

Weathergeek - regret that you will be right on the line of little to no accumulation. Hope you aren't a snow lover?

FIREDRAGON47 - great sarcasm :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"A thousand probabilities do not make one fact."
--Italian proverb
What distinguishes the CWG from other forecasters is that they deal in probabilities, not certainties.
They did so with this storm, always noting the chance of NAM verifying, which it did.
So keep your heads held high, Weather Gang, you're the best!

Posted by: mtpeaks | December 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

That western band is exciting....until you look at the Philly radar....

Posted by: DanOwingsMills | December 26, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how it's always the sane peoe who leave comments on this website - they should let others have a chance!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

bbirnbau, please sign me up for your weather texts.

Posted by: hawknt | December 26, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

As I said in the last thread, I have am 110% satisfied with how CWG handled this storm. The explanations of the uncertainties, differences between models, and changes in the model predictions as time goes on are why this is my primary source of weather information.

Posted by: Murre | December 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@Camden -- looks like I was wrong -- here is hoping for an inch or two in north central AA county!

Posted by: snowlover | December 26, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Disregard my above comment - there are two typos: Here is the correction:

Interesting how it's always the same people who leave comments on this website - they should let others have a chance!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@SnowDreamer, please keep your updates coming. I enjoy them.

Posted by: Murre | December 26, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Look, weather is weather and models are models. As far as I'm concerned, the CWG guys' jobs consist of two parts: Know what all these fancy models mean, and think out loud as they read them to us. As far as I'm concerned, they've performed admirably and I'm extremely grateful for their coverage and hard work.

Posted by: eliwho | December 26, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Now that there's a blizzard warning in DE...I am so glad we left there early this morning and drove home. The roads were bad with blowing snow before it even started to get bad. I can't imagine how bad it is now.

Posted by: bachaney | December 26, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Took 84 to 81 to scenic back roads (to bypass Harrisburg) and back onto 81. Saw barely a flake until I pulled into my driveway (SW of Front Royal). Snow seems to be off and on now, but very light and still don't have an official trace yet. Breezy too, the way it usually gets when a storm is wrapping up and/or departing.

Posted by: eric654 | December 26, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

In Silver Spring, snow is now sticking to windshields and roofs on parked cars, as well as bare ground and blacktop parking lots. The accumulation is not very deep, surely no more than 1/4 inch right now.

Posted by: Murre | December 26, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

A quick update from Alexandria, VA: Snow is really coming down now, but flakes are still incredibly tiny. If they were bigger this would be considered more than a flurry. It's starting to stick to our windowsill, but still nothing sticking on the roads; it seems like the moisture from earlier snow that failed to stick is preventing there from being the nice dry cold surface that snow needs to stick, especially these tiny flakes. So, snow is definitely here, but I remain skeptical that we'll get any accumulation.

Posted by: eliwho | December 26, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@snowdreamer, keep those reports Coming!

the storm is just starting to get going, so just as people 5 hours ago were sure they'd go flake-less, in a few hours many in the area will be seeing minor accumulations. Not the 6 inches many hoped for, but save for last year, dc is tough for snow. The minor shift east that many warned could have disastorlous effects for accum. came to pass. Let's see if the bands rotating through now can overperform and salvage a storm.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

While eating dinner...

"Is that a dusting I see? OH MY GOD, Centreville has a dusting. It's official. Must report this at once!" *runs upstairs*

So yeah, Centreville has a dusting, and I think the current conditions qualify as "light snow".

Posted by: cleombrota | December 26, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@ murre. Thanks

I would estimate that the snowfall is about 1/2 of what it was when I last posted. There is now a very light coating on the ground. There are far more flakes now, but they are maybe 1/20 of an inch across. Will continue to report.

Posted by: SnowDreamer | December 26, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I am down in Rehobeth now and there is about 8 inches on the ground now and it's still coming down at a blistering pace.

Posted by: Fiskea | December 26, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I am down in Rehobeth now and there is about 8 inches on the ground and it's still coming down at a blistering pace. And with the wind whipping around, the conditions are not pleasant!

Posted by: Fiskea | December 26, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I will now provide my in-depth analysis of the storm:

I had been tracking this system for about 15 days prior to Christmas. By last weekend, it became increasingly clear that the DC area could be in for a blockbuster monster snowmaggedon. The Euro model had been pumping out about 15 to 20 inches across the board. Some meteorologists took this more seriously than others. The Euro continued in that trend for a few days, but then Wednesday night, I believe, it joined all the others in predicting a glancing blow. By then I had lost hope.

For the next few days I didn't give the storm any thought. I don't think any of us did. When I head the meteorologists say that they'd be watching every model closely, I thought it was a joke. But then on Christmas eve, things started to change. By Chrismtas morning, the GFS was pumping out 16" for the metro area and even more to the east. But then, of course, things to a nose dive. Again. By yesterday evening is became increasingly clear that we wouldn't get much.

I must say, however, that I truly appreciate the Capital Weather Gang being here for us 24/7/365. Even at all hours of the night early on Christmas morning CWG never failed to keep us informed. Like I've said before, don't they ever give you guys a day off? This is without a doubt, a city in which the weather is very hard to predict. This storm proved it. Up until this storm, I only checked CWG periodically, but after seeing their remarkable performance this time around, I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed. The snow totals, on the other hand, aren't as impressive as I was hoping they'd be.

Oh well, there's still two full months of winter left for a good old fashioned blizzard. My hope is that the next one will be measured in feet, not inches!

P.S. - CWG: When will our next best chance of precip. be. I know this next weekend might have some, but it looks like it'll be in the form of rain. Also, how long will this apparent warming trend last? Thank you and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Fiskea - I am impressed you have 8"...stay safe!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Reston off and on for the past 3-4 hours...however, no accumulation what-so-ever. Definitely don't need to "play it safe" tonight, here...planning on going out to drown my snowrrows with friends :)

Posted by: parksndc | December 26, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bob, I thought you were going to give some others a chance to post?

Posted by: hawknt | December 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2 |
HAven't really looked much beyond this storm. I do know the pattern looks warm for around New Year's day!

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Conditions in Philly have postponed tonight's Vikings-Eagles football game. Seems like someone on the east coast got a Boxing Day Blizzard, it just wasn't us.
Too bad; I would have watched that football game just for the snow factor.

Very light snow in Centreville. The wind seems to have really quieted down from earlier this afternoon.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 26, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

What is the risk of accumulation on the roads in the next couple of hours in Fairfax City? I was planning on heading out for dinner but don't want to take any risks (will have a baby in the car).

Posted by: ViennaHokie | December 26, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't make any sense to have a snowstorm when school is out.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 26, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@ViennaHokie

Radar shows some light snow..you may have a dusting there, but if you use caution, driving should be ok.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Go to www.wboc.com.

Salisbury, MD station.

Posted by: grunk | December 26, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Snow is flurrying steadily here in Wheaton, north of the beltway. Ground is dusted as of 4 pm with no signs of slacking off. Bitter cold and strong winds nearly sandblasted me into dust when walking to the store earlier.

On a side note, I wanted to say that you guys have the best weather blog on the Internet. This is coming from someone who fancies himself a weather geek and worked with some pretty bright people back in Atlanta at the Weather Channel not to mention travels all over the continent. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: DCMacNerd | December 26, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Pivot snow is like sloppy seconds.

Posted by: ennepe68 | December 26, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@BadMommy1 - You got anyone to watch those flurries with?

Posted by: ennepe68 | December 26, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Just in case anyone's interested, here are some worldwide temperature readings:
DC:28
Rio:79
Paris:32
Sydney:64
Moscow:25
Hong Kong:48
Sao Paulo:72 (with 95% humidity - ouch!)
Montreal:16
El Paso:56
Nairobi:63

Posted by: BobMiller2 | December 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

cut christmas vacation short by day and a half to avoid snow. kind of harrowing driving up from south. here in chuck county it looks like about 1.5 to 2 inches

Posted by: luvhh | December 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

has this storm been named already? if not, my suggestions are

the sNooo!!ItsNotStorm
sNOTStorm

the hoax has also been exposed at
snopestorm.com

Posted by: apeirond | December 26, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tom Sater from WUSA9 said there's another storm he's watching next weekend. I thought it was going to be 50 degrees next weekend? I'd rather have a snowstorm though.

Posted by: oriolesfan2323 | December 26, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Savage, MD, Howard County

Snow stopped, we have a dusting. Weather.com's hourly is still showing about a 45-60% chance all evening through overnight, though.

Posted by: orangelauren | December 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@apeirond I like snopestorm. Other suggestions:

SnowBigDeal
NoStorm
White Miss-mass
The Defense Contractor (because it dances around the beltway making promises, but comes in beneath scope and behind schedule)

Posted by: eliwho | December 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I vote for what someone said earlier, Snowtease. :)

Posted by: orangelauren | December 26, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Getting the advertised 'dusting' in SE Loudoun County... Or you can call it 'heavy flurries'... Visible on roof and driveway, not even that much on roads!

Posted by: BoaterVA | December 26, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

About to leave work here in Herndon and grass is starting to regain some of its snow cover. Sidewalks and streets are still basically dry and snow remains light and fluffy.

Snowtease, for sure!

Posted by: HokieTerp | December 26, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

BoaterVA - it sounds like you wanted more snow? At least your driving conditions sound safe!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"..there's now more snow north and west of I-95 than there is to the east, at least until you get to the western shore of the Bay. That trend will probably eventually reverse course as the storm continues to pivot and ultimately pull away to the northeast. So as we head toward evening we should start to see the east-to-west moving bands of snow shift to west-to-east."

Please, oh please, neither you nor any of your offspring should ever consider a job as an air traffic controller.

Posted by: tslats | December 26, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Steady flakes falling here for the past two hours in Purcellville, VA, where I'm visiting my parents. Looks pretty, and is sticking in some spots on the roads. Nothing too major though- I was hoping for more!

Posted by: MasonPatriot1 | December 26, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's the irony. Watch the Evening News tonight. They will say something like, "From DC to the Northeast snow piled up and ruined plans."

But hey, the Redskins played and won and folks will get home ok.

Posted by: jaybird926 | December 26, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Beach Blizzard-Beltway Bust

Lol-Its so sad CNN is still scrolling "Winter Storm Warning for Washington DC 6"-10" expected by Sunday Night"

Posted by: caphillse | December 26, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Blizzard warning now for Worcester, Somerset, Wicomico, Dorchester, Accomack, and Northampton Counties through 5 AM.

Posted by: Murre | December 26, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

It's been snowing lightly since 2 here in Spotsy., have about 3/4".
Still a Dolly Parton storm in his area.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 26, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"precip does not stop on a dime and turn, the movement is far more gradual along a curvature."
Posted by: bbirnbau | December 26, 2010 3:09
***NOT NECESSARILY TRUE***
The weather is a highly non linear phenomenon. While I am in general agreement with bbirnbau's post, things can happen suddenly. I've been an NWS forecaster and seen sudden dramatic changes in winter storm intensity and precip development/intensity/movement over a few hours or less. But as I posted earlier, once the precip movement did not change from NE to N by midnight, it was past the point of no return. The warnings and accumulations should have been scaled way back at 4am issuance time and cut out completely after daybreak. The slowness to do this cost the counties a lot of money keeping road crews on overtime until early this afternoon. Ah, but its easy to pontificate when one is not in the "hot seat." I've been there, and there is a lot of pressure from the EMs, DMVs, press, public etc on the NWS forecasters.

Posted by: ronbcust | December 26, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The NFL network, CBS, Fox Sports, and ESPN keep saying Philly is expected to get 20 inches of snow tonight. I talked to my parents in Philly and they said they have a few inches and don't expect more than 8-10...anyone know where this 20 inch mark is coming from?

Posted by: parksndc | December 26, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@parksndc I was wondering the same thing re: the reports by the stations carrying the NFL about the 20" they're supposedly expecting in Philly. It's almost as if they are hyping the snow to justify the NFL's decision to postpone the game tonight...

Posted by: Louise9 | December 26, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@ennepe68, a whole family of disappointed kids, LOL! And a bunch of roast beef sandwiches, some tomato soup, and an apple crisp. Because it's a shame to waste the last day of the holiday moping! Perhaps a jolly fire later and a board game. I'm thinking we should play for Christmas candy.

We're up to a dusting here in N. Arlington, and it is starting to stick just a bit. Tiny, tiny flakes.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | December 26, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

bbirnbau, I certainly did say I was bullish, a big mistake for a winter weather expert. I wish we would have done better.

Posted by: wjunker | December 26, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

While it is interesting to know weather conditions in other parts of the country such as the shore, Salisbury, MD, etc., I think most people are looking for weather conditions in Washington DC - not NYC, not Philadelphia, etc. There is the NY Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, etc., for other news, can the Washington Post focus on Washington news?

I think the smart thing would have been to report DC area forecasters were wrong and just say, we were wrong, and move on. The effort to keep this obvious non-story alive but talking about weather in other cities looks very desperate and unnecessary.

DC does need someone who cares about accurate DC local reporting.

Posted by: responsiblepublic | December 26, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I think CWG did the best job they could on this. They did better than any other mets in or around the DC metro!

Although I will say this, I made a prediction on a post here on wednesday saying that this storm would follow a similar path of the last storm and give us 0-3 inches. As it stands right now, I was correct.

Furthermore, speaking about the last storm, I made a prediction 2 or 3 days out that that one would miss us. I even tweeted to @capitalweather that the storm was OTS, from my twitter @kruz8er and they replied to me in a DM saying yeah looks that way we may go public with it tomorrow. But they didnt and waited till the day before to say OTS.

Posted by: KRUZ | December 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@wjunker
Don't fall on your sword too much. Your posts were highly informative/educational for this old retired NWS guy.
Ron

Posted by: ronbcust | December 26, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Call it 0.2 inches on my deck in Centreville.

Dusting - check! Measurable accumulation - check! Next step - half an inch!!

Posted by: cleombrota | December 26, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh,goody-and here's me heading to Maine in about 1/2 hour.

Posted by: doubledog1 | December 26, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I've just measured a whopping 1/8" snow here in Linthicum, northern AA Co. What an epic bust!

Posted by: allagar | December 26, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing steady here in Annapolis, MD... about 2-3 inches on the ground in my back yard using a ruler. The grass is mostly covered. Hoping for another 2 or 3 inches by morning!

Posted by: KastleDonovan | December 26, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey CWG-

Why does Dover radar show green banding coming in, but Sterling shows it as blue? Distance from radar? Which is correct?

Posted by: DanOwingsMills | December 26, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey, jolly guy in a red suit just landed in my Crofton neighborhood. Guess his GPS is affected by the storm.

Posted by: magilla | December 26, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse