The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:00 PM ET, 12/12/2010

Snow shower chance around a.m. commute

By Jason Samenow

Radar & lightning: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

An energetic upper level disturbance trailing the cold front moving through this evening may spin up some snow showers late tonight into Monday morning.

The chance of snow showers is only 30-40% but should they develop, icy spots could form on roadways as temperature fall back to around 30 late tonight (upper 20s in the colder suburbs to 32 downtown) - mainly after 2 a.m.. If it's snowing when you awaken tomorrow morning, exercise caution on the roads. Locations that see snow could get a dusting.

Prior to midnight, temperatures should generally remain above freezing. So travel should not be hazardous on area roadways this evening. Mainly well north and west of the District, spotty showers could begin to mix with or change to snow starting around 10 p.m.

Refer to Brian's full forecast for the outlook for the next several days...

By Jason Samenow  | December 12, 2010; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Incredible video: Metrodome roof collapses
Next: Winter weather advisory expires

Comments

Note: The link to "Brian's full forecast" is misspelled; it should be http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang#forecast

Posted by: the2belo | December 12, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Thanks to you and the gang for keeping on top of this. You all have helped a nervous Mom w/a 'still rookie' teenage driver to make the best decisions possible for her driving safety. We'll be in touch in the morning, hoping eastern PWC and the I-95/I-395 corridor doesn't turn into the largest skating rink/parking lot. :)

Posted by: southbridgemom | December 12, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

This tired educator is really hoping for a two hour delay!

Posted by: icecubedownthetoilet | December 12, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Icecube....I teach in AA County and I would love to wake up to a 2-Hr delay as well....I think I have a better chance growing hair atop my baulding head though!

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | December 12, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how many educators are looking for apples? I know I was :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 12, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

My late wife taught 1st grade 4 28 yrs & loved the 2 hr delays, made 4 a nice short day. B surpised if there's enough snow 4 delays, except the far W & N areas.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 12, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Not enough snow in the forecast nor a high enough probability for apples...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 12, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Some snow as far S as Southern Ala., & possibly N Fla, while it's raining in Caribou Maine. Doubt that's something that happens very often, maybe once every 30-40 yrs.
Great day, Steelers win, Skins lose & Hokies win a basketball game. Now if it would only snow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 12, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

CWG...has the Crystal Ball been brought out and dusted off? Maybe just put up the hollow outline of the 4 apples, just to show us they're ready. This teacher needs some delay too, but I think we're not going there until after break.

Posted by: joshvt | December 12, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

radar showing snow out around Winchester.

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 12, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys have any estimate of timing? I want to make sure I see this snow (if it happens) since I missed the one the other day!

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | December 13, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Last weekend I was at 271 Lbs. After starting the plan, I am now at 263Lbs within 7 days thanks to "Hypersonic Weight Loss" find them online

Posted by: mistylegg | December 13, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

@BruinGirl2001

Any time from 2 a.m. through tomorrow afternoon some flakes could fly.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 13, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Well, my school will be closed for the next 20 days. ;-) I love college! (Especially college in Vermont, where snow isn't something you have to cross your fingers for.)

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 13, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

ALERT! FIRST WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WASHINGTON AREA! ALERT!

Posted by: Yellowboy | December 13, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Well, look what the NWS has to say for McLean:

"Overnight: Snow showers. Low around 31. Northwest wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible."

How 'bout them (lack of) apples?

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 13, 2010 4:00 AM | Report abuse

Waking up to a winter weather advisory indicates to me that a ball (a snow ball?) seems to have been dropped on this one.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 13, 2010 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Well, now the NWS is only predicting an inch or so for McLean. So even if snow does fall (which seems likely), it's not going to be a big event.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 13, 2010 4:27 AM | Report abuse