The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:15 AM ET, 12/29/2010

The No-mageddon D.C. snow hole from space

By Jason Samenow

We showed you a crude illustration of eastern U.S. snow cover Monday after the "Beach Blizzard, Beltway Bust." Now see it from space in high-res, courtesy NASA's Terra satellite. Where there's no white, there's no snow. Some of the thicker whites on the north and northwest portions of the image show where cloud cover is obscuring the satellite's view of the ground.

no-mageddon-snow-hole.jpg

(The image was captured at 10:45 a.m. yesterday)

By Jason Samenow  | December 29, 2010; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Humor, Latest, Science, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Wind is gone, warmer times ahead
Next: Where did Sunday's forecast go wrong?

Comments

Gorgeous. But I know this will fuel the flames of angry snow lovers ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I take high exception to my product being labeled a "crude illustration". Other than that, I freaking love MODIS!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 29, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think I see my house.
It doesn't make me mad.....just perplexed once again by DC metro area winter weather weirdness.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 29, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Shazam Sergeant Carter, and thank ya, thank ya, thank ya!!

Posted by: jaybird926 | December 29, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Talk about a "DC split". Sheesh. But the picture is amazing...

Posted by: southbridgemom | December 29, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

It's made me mad all over again.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 29, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse