The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 12/30/2010

When weather is art: "Man in a Blizzard" video

By Jason Samenow

Many people love snow due to its visual beauty. Watch this inspired, must-see short video of the December 26-27 New York blizzard shot in Astoria, Queens by filmmaker Jamie Stuart.

Big tip of the hat to film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times, who provides the back story for this video. Ebert states the film should win an Academy Award for best live-action short subject.

Keep reading for a wonderful Snowmageddon video we posted last year shot in Washington, D.C. which this instantly reminded me of...

Washington, DC Snow Storm from Es Video! on Vimeo.

See also: Other beautiful Snowmageddon photos and videos.

By Jason Samenow  | December 30, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Latest, Photography, Snowmageddon, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heat top 2010 weather story says Weather Channel
Next: PM Update: Ringing in 50+ degree weather

Comments

Which of the above two videos do you like better? The NY or DC? Do you agree with Ebert that the NY film is Oscar worthy? I took a film class once, but I'm better equipped to analyze weather maps than short subject films...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 30, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This made me really nostalgic for last year.

Posted by: bbirnbau | December 30, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

If you are posting these for the deprived snowlovers I have to ask, are you trying to make us feel better or worse?
Because when I look at these it's a little like watching other kids play with their Xmas presents, while I sit here with my lump of coal.
It's a very cold, dry & windy lump of coal.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 30, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

IMO the Stuart video is better.
The DC piece is very happy & neighborly. The focus was on people not the snow. I found the music vocals to be a little distracting.
Stuart shows a powerful spooky nighttime snowstorm. The bundled humans struggle against the elements.
FYI there are fabulous shots of a dog's butt.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 30, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I really love the NY video. Idiot with a tripod? Genius with a tripod, I say. Brilliant work.

Posted by: natsncats | December 30, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

The NY video is a bit more arty and abstract in both photographic style and editing while the DC video is more documentary style. Both videos have some truly gorgeous photography, though I favor the style of the NY video. It's more art photography as opposed to the documentary style of the DC vid. While I like the song a lot I've never thought the music in the DC video was a good fit, though I like the mood of it. The music in the NY piece is perfect for its style. Just this former film student's two cents. Love 'em both. Wish there was a higher quality version of the NY video. The compression really kills some of the low light blowing snow shots.

Posted by: Chip_M | December 30, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse