The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Your Call: How much snow in D.C. this winter?

By Dan Stillman

Last winter - the year of Snowpocalypse, Snowmageddon and Snoverkill - the D.C. area couldn't buy a break in the snow department. This winter, while places like London and western New York are off to a fast start, our first snow chance seems fairly certain to miss the area well to the south.

Will this winter bring anything like last winter's record-breaking 56 inches of snow at National Airport (and 73" at Dulles)? Or will it be much closer to or below the average annual snowfall of 15 inches at National (and 21" at Dulles)? We've already given you our forecast. Now, it's your turn...

Bonus questions: When will National Airport record its first snowfall of 1 inch or more (average date: Dec. 28)? And exactly how many inches of snow will National end up with for the season (extra credit for including a Dulles forecast as well)? Log your responses in the comments section below. We'll take a look back at your predictions after our first inch of snow has come and at the end of the season, and promise to give credit where credit is due.

By Dan Stillman  | December 3, 2010; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Latest, Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Awesome satellite loop of hurricane season
Next: PM Update: Cold weather is here to stay

Comments

12 inches of snow with first inch not until January 5th.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | December 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

10 at DCA (first inch - why not - Dec. 25) and 20 at IAD (first inch - Dec 13). Have a feeling that we'll see that rain/snow line right thru Fairfax County this year.

Posted by: DullesARC | December 3, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

My vote for how much snow: Too much. Any more than a decorative 2 inches is too much, and it's likely that we will in fact end up in Too Much territory.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | December 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I voted for 11 to 20". As long as we don't have 'geddons, 'pocalypses or overkill this winter, I'm good. My Subaru says "bring it on".

Posted by: natsncats | December 3, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to wait for Walter to make his guess for first snow, but I voted for 11-20, maybe two storms of 5-6 inches (at best) and a bunch of nuisance snows.

Posted by: eric654 | December 3, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Back to a more reasonable snow season. 8.5" at DCA, 13.1" at BWI and 17.7" at IAD (first 1" snowfall in all locales on Dec. 14). And yes, some dreaded ice along the way.

Jamie Y (Potomac) aka Weather Checker

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | December 3, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

hahaha, eric, tryin' to "price is right" me, again huh? i go for dec. 14 for our first snow, and a total of "more than 40".

why not 40+? i mean, i'm not really basing it on anything. along those lines, i find jamie's 3 significant figure predictions pretty funny. the rational part of me would just look at the averages, maybe read a few "winter outlooks" and so forth, and predict 11-20 - that's would be logical.

but...having said all that, i guess 42.35" at my house - i don't really care about how much it snows at the airports... unless...i could talk them into piling all that runway snow into giant sculptable piles... (voice trails off as i drift into reverie....)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 3, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Five to ten inches at National airport.
20+ everywhere else.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | December 3, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Predictions: 15" at DCA, first inch 12/11/2010... 28" at IAD.

Current conditions in Blue Ridge Mtns east of Front Royal... 31F and snow flurries

Posted by: spgass1 | December 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Predictions: 1st inch - December 22nd 1:00 PM (I know this because my flight is already booked) DCA Total - 14" IAD Total - 26"

Posted by: melanielmcconnell | December 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Hi SP, you forgot to list your current snow depth. Thanks Walter, for your information. Since snow always falls on a weekend and I'll have to go with Dec 12th for the first inch at National (3.1 inches at Walter's house).

Posted by: eric654 | December 3, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

15" DCA
1st inch: December 24

22" Dulles
1st inch: December 24

A truly averagely winter. Might have gone lower on the snow & later on the date, except for the cold start in December.

Posted by: TRM1 | December 3, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

DCA: 11.1"
IAD: 15.2"
BWI: 14.6"

1st inch DCA: Dec 16

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | December 3, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

18" at National
34.5" at Dulles

Sunday, Dec 19th for first inch of snow at both airports.

Posted by: technomuse | December 3, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Even if it's only 3", Ike Leggett will say that it's yet another factor in the budget shortfall and he'll cut funding for libraries, schools, and public safety by another $100 million.

Posted by: postisarag | December 3, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

1st Inch DCA: 12/20
DCA: 32 inches
IAD: 44 inches

Yeah, it's going to be another bad one.

Posted by: wahoo2x | December 3, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Eric, I guess I spotted enough specks this morning on the deck to register "trace" accumulation.

Current snowpack depth: 0.00"

I will continue to closely monitor the situation.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 3, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for 40+. Last year snowfall was perfect... no work... no night school. I was able to just relax and enjoy my free time.

Posted by: tm28 | December 3, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

5.4" DC
1st inch Jan 19.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 3, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

5.4" DC
1st inch Jan 19.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 3, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

DCA - 1st inch - December 15
DCA - Total - 18 inches
Dulles - Total - 24 inches

I think we might be suprised this winter - but not too much.

Posted by: MKoehl | December 3, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

1st 1": Dec 24th obv
Total for season: a very sad 3.5" comprised of 3 trace amounts, including Dec 4th, 2.5" on Dec 24th, & 1" on Feb 2nd.

Altough I'll be hoping for back-back record breakers.

LET IT SNOW!

Posted by: caphillse | December 4, 2010 4:33 AM | Report abuse

Snow fascinates me! I can watch snow falling for hours, on TV, as long as it is in far-off places like Europe, Siberia...!
(With apologies to, and admiration for, Jerome K Jerome, 'Three Men in a Boat'!).
Favourite songs: O Sole Mio!, Here Comes the Sun,...!
All the best to everybody!

Posted by: chatpk | December 6, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse