The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:20 PM ET, 01/17/2011

Icy conditions likely last into morning commute for D.C. and points north and west

By Dan Stillman

Scroll below for live updates

Tonight & Tomorrow: A dusting (south & east) to 1" (north & west) of snow/sleet this evening, then becoming mainly sleet and/or freezing rain overnight into early morning, except turning to plain rain south & east of D.C. Icy road conditions in the District and to the north & west probably don't improve until 8-9 a.m., when temps warm slightly and precip goes to all rain before ending by afternoon. The exception is Frederick, central Loudoun, northern Fauquier counties and points north & west, where ice lingers even later into the morning.

If ice builds up enough, some power outages are possible by early morning, mainly in the northern/western suburbs.

Detailed forecast & SchoolCast by zone (***updated!***) | Forecast through the weekend

Stay tuned for live updates to appear below...

11:20 p.m. Update: This will be the last update for the night. Radar shows a solid area of moderate (a few pockets of heavy) wintry precipitation across the entire area. It's going to be a long, icy night in most places. And as our latest forecast suggests above, a likely difficult morning commute with significant icing and school delays/closings possible, especially from D.C. to the north and west. (Note, SchoolCast for immediate north/west suburbs updated to 2 apples.) Sleep well and check back with us in the morning.

10:50 p.m. Update: The National Weather Service has now upgraded Montgomery, Frederick, Howard & Carroll counties, as well as Baltimore City and County, to a Winter Storm Warning in effect until noon Tuesday due to the substantial icing expected (around .25").

10:20 p.m. Update: The latest model data is in, and confirms what we've suspected and is mostly implied in the forecast above. Which is that as the precipitation turns to mainly sleet and/or freezing rain tonight, temps are going to have a lot of trouble rising to and above freezing in the immediate north and west suburbs (e.g., Montgomery and Fairfax counties) until at least an hour or two after sunrise (so, maybe not until 9 a.m. or so) and even later further north and west (e.g., Loudoun and Frederick counties). That means the possibility of significant icing well into the morning commute for those areas. Even in D.C. proper, icing could be an issue into the first part of the commute before daylight has a melting impact by, say, 8 a.m. or so.

9:30 p.m. Update: A wintry mix continues throughout D.C. and vicinitiy - with precipitation liable to change from snow, to sleet, to freezing rain, from one minute or one mile to the next - and many roads have a light but slippery coating of snow and ice. Parts of western Fairfax County and into Loudoun County have actually seen a bit of a gap in the precip. That should fill in shortly, though may reappear from time to time through the night with those areas being toward the western edge of the main slug of precip. Temperatures everywhere in the area are in the upper 20s to near 30, and it seems unlikely they'll reach the freezing mark north and west of the District until after sunrise.

8:15 p.m. Update: Radar has blossomed nicely with a mix of precipitation types - snow, sleet and freezing rain - being reported across the area. A light coating of snow or snow/sleet has formed in some places, especially north and west of town. A Freezing Rain Advisory has been issued through midnight for St. Mary's and Calvert counties in Southern Md. and just to the west in King George County, Va., where NWS expects a few hours of freezing rain before changing to plain rain.

7:15 p.m. Update: Reports of flurries, light snow and/or light sleet starting to come in around the area. A more organized area of precipitation, probably in the form of snow and/or sleet, likely arrives in the metro area from south to north between about 7:45 and 9 p.m. Icy patches may develop quickly once precipitation arrives, with most everyone right now at or a little below freezing.

What's happening where you are? Leave a comment below...

By Dan Stillman  | January 17, 2011; 11:20 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Updates, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wintry mess expected tonight
Next: Forecast: Very icy morning, unsettled week

Comments

Any update to your snowcast prediction for schools, especially Montgomery County schools? If we are going to get ice all night, it seems unlikely the ice will melt and the roads will be safe well into tomorrow. Or am I misreading your forecast?

Thanks for your efforts!

Posted by: MidcenturyModern | January 17, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Flurries in NE Loudoun. But yikes, you mentioned that ice could persist into late morning in Loudoun. I think I'm going to stay off the roads.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 17, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

CWG great information as usual. Seems like the freezing rain to rain changeover is tricky to forecast.

Posted by: VAresident2 | January 17, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Moderate snow coming down in North Silver Spring (Bel Pre/Layhill). Car windows are already white.

Posted by: Hanz1 | January 17, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't see any precipitation here in Laurel (northern PG county), but if I stick my head out the door I can HEAR it.

Posted by: megamuphen | January 17, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Light sleet/freezing rain in Georgetown now, just started a few minutes ago

Posted by: prickles1009 | January 17, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Light snow here in Eldersburg. Temp is down to 26 now. Dewpoint is 16.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Quick question to anyone who can answer: what's the difference between sleet and freezing rain? Thanks!

Posted by: ali123 | January 17, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Freezing rain indicates temps below freezing at the surface. Sleet is snow that melts and then re-freezes as it falls. Someone will give you a more precise definition though I'm sure.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I live in damascus/gaithersburg area where it is currently 26 degrees. It is currently sleeting outside. CWG are you guys hyping the storm up enouph..I think this is going to be a real bad storm as everyone said it was going to start out as snow (its not). My feelings are the cold air will stick around untill 11:00 am in northern montgomery county, frderick ect. and we will get a lot of ice. Were close enouph to the storm (were just about in it) that you can look at the radar and see that huge dark green stuff heading towards us. If all this precip. falls as seet/ice until 10 or 11 this could be a MAJOR ICE STORM...whats your feelings on this ?

Posted by: danrusso10 | January 17, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ali123 | January 17, 2011 7:42 PM

Sleet freezes before it reaches the ground. Freezing Rain freezes on contact with the ground.

Both start with warmer air at the upper levels and have cold air at the ground level.

Posted by: Shiipon | January 17, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Light freezing rain in NW Spotsy. 32.0.
As I posted in the last blog in more detail, the av prec. at Reagan Dec-Feb is 8.88" of which 15-16" is snow, snow =18% & rain 82%. Most prec. in the winter is rain. People shouldn't get so excited over models showing snow more than 48 hrs out. Most of the time it's rain. Just the nature of the beast 4 this area.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 17, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Still sleeting here in NW, Thomas Circle area.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | January 17, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Light snow is falling and it is 30*F here in Centreville, VA.

Posted by: oriolesfan2323 | January 17, 2011 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Oriolesfan I am also in Centreville off of Centreville Farms Road in Faircrest condos. I have sleet.

Posted by: teebyrd86 | January 17, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Gross sleet snow mix in Centreville.
Hate this type of weather. It satisfies no one.
Well, maybe the kids will be happy with the end results tomorrow.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 17, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

reporting light sleet-snow at IAD, a dusting on the ground.

You are exactly right FireDragon47... even i don't like the weather, but i LOVE the 2-hour delays.

Posted by: SnowDreamer | January 17, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sleeting here in North Arlington, already a coating on the ground. If we've got all night of this, I have a feeling tomorrow morning will be worse than expected....

Posted by: SteveinAtown | January 17, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

For a good explanation of differences between winter precipitation types, see:

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Light sleet/freezing rain started around 6:45 in Woodbridge/Dumfries area. Just enough to make you need to turn on the windshield wipers. Now the roads are getting shiny, but I wouldn't call it covering the ground. It will be interesting tonight and tomorrow morning, to say the least.

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 17, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Light snowfall here in Frederick. Street looks wet.

Posted by: eabgarnet | January 17, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

The deck is completely white in silver spring.

Can someone tell me what is the difference between sleet and snow? When they accumulate, isn't snow the same as sleet?

Posted by: SNOWLUVER | January 17, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Orioles fan I am also in Centreville seeing Sleet

Posted by: teebyrd86 | January 17, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I love @BobMIller (both 2 and 3)

Flurries in Leesburg for the last hour or so. I have a 6:30 AM flight out of IAD, but I DO NOT request that CWG provide me a detailed forecast of all side streets and highways between my home and runway 18L.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 17, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

ali123,

Freezing rain: rain that falls as a liquid but freezes into glaze upon contact with the ground.

Sleet: precipitation in the form of ice pellets created by the freezing of rain as it falls

Definitions courtesy of Dictionary.com

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 17, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I am in Manassas. As of a few minutes after 8 p.m., I can't see the precip (except in the headlights of vehicles), but I can HEAR it. In the headlights, it's coming down thickly, but when I reach out my hand, I can't feel anything. The roofs of all the parked vehicles are coated with solid white.

Posted by: MeganO | January 17, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

along with us teachers

Posted by: VAresident2 | January 17, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Sleeting moderately in clifton :/ maby no school:)

Posted by: snowlover31 | January 17, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

sleet here. i don't think there was any "changeover" from snow to sleet. it just started out as sleet.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 17, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

AsymptoticUnlimited,

If you are in Leesburg, look outside; It's nearly moderate snow and there is a light coating on everything.

Posted by: 4seamed | January 17, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Me too Walter, started as tiny sleet

Posted by: tbva | January 17, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

teebyrd86 -

It is still snowing at my house in Sully Station in Centreville. Driveway is turning white.

Posted by: oriolesfan2323 | January 17, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

26.5F and light snow in Ashburn.

Posted by: natsncats | January 17, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

@danrusso10

Dan and I were just talking about how this could turn into a pretty nasty ice storm, esp north and west of DC. We'll be providing updates each hour.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Dusting of snow out here, and it's still falling.

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 17, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Bull Run Mountains has a light snow sleet mix that started about 8:10

Posted by: HaymarketDV | January 17, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

@4Seamed

No sooner had I posted that I looked outside and am now observing light snow (upgraded from flurries). Nowhere near moderate where I am but I do concur with very subtle accumulations beginning on my sidewalk.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 17, 2011 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Walter,

If it falls hard and fast enough (which it might), the downward motion of the precipitation can downdraft the colder air aloft with it as it passes through the warm cone in the mid levels, keeping it all snow. Not for certain, but don't rule out snow just yet.

Posted by: 4seamed | January 17, 2011 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Moderate snow in Southwestern Frederick County, MD. A very slight coating on the ground.

Posted by: rmm999 | January 17, 2011 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang,

what are your thoughts about the back edge of the precip. It seems as though if the precip keeps moving northeastward we may be stuck in a dry slot as the storm move up the coast. But at the same time it seems to be gaining some energy from the precip west of the mountains.

Any thoughts on this?

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 17, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Precip has picked up in intensity in Dumfries. You can now hear the sleet hitting the windows (as I sit in my family room, tapping on the laptop).

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 17, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

In my neck of the woods in Centreville (north of 29/the IAD side), was just out there around 8pm, looked like snow, but when I opened the front door, nope. The little tinkling of sleet. Not cool. But, the ice melt product I put down several days ago is still working. Just added a bit more.

Now, this is the typical winter I remember. Sunny, windy, cold - and then the occasional "wintry mix."

Posted by: bobosnow | January 17, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@CWG

I still insist that you DO NOT provide me with any assessment of my flight out of Dulles in the morning.

It will be fine.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 17, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Sleet here in Falls Church for the last hour or so, just switched over to snow/sleet mix.

Posted by: Bworl | January 17, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

CWG: How is the multi-colored radar picture put together? Is it an interpolation of ground temps and temps aloft or is it actually based on echoes? Also, does the radar color change from green to red when liquid rain is falling onto subfreezing surfaces?

Posted by: petworthlad | January 17, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

light sleet west of 210 in ft washington, never saw any snow here

Posted by: ftwash | January 17, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

It's bad news for the areas where this is beginning as sleet/freezing rain. Having that 0.5-1 inch of snow as a buffer is much better than having the rain freeze directly to the ground.

Posted by: bdeco | January 17, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

snowing nicely near leesburg

Posted by: mandarb77 | January 17, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Snow definitely tailing off in Leesburg, as supported by radar. Now light snow bordering on flurries again. Sidewalks have a dusting, street has very little. Of course, the main event is still to come tonight.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 17, 2011 8:27 PM | Report abuse

A light coating of freezing rain and perhaps some small sleet pellets in Silver Spring near the Takoma Park border.

I'm hoping that it will warm above freezing soon. I so do not want freezing rain all night long.

Posted by: Murre | January 17, 2011 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Snowing out here in New Market, MD (eastern part of Frederick County). Everything coated with snow.

I love BobMiller2, BobMiller3, and even Q! Whatever happened to him? I always enjoyed reading his debate with Andrew Freedman -- always learn much more when hearing both sides.

And nice job with the zones. You should consider going premium. Charge visitors. You've already got the public hooked, no?

Posted by: JSTF | January 17, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

CWG, Thanks for the good coverage!

It's snowing on the Arlington/Alexandria border, though the ground isn't white so maybe it's more sleet. I'm not going out to find out!

Hoping for at least a delay to school tomorrow!

Posted by: icecubedownthetoilet | January 17, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

It does look like a dry slot is on our doorstep. Doesn't look too serious though as more precip. isn't far behind.

Posted by: bodyiq | January 17, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Flurries and 27.5°F here in NE Loudoun. The worst is still yet to come. I just hope I don't wake up to a glaze of ice in the morning. Any chance it stays primarily snow??

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 17, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

light to moderate snow in the Ellicott City are (Eastern Howard County), really hoping that the roads won't be too bad tomorrow, I really don't look forward to slipping, sliding and cursing my way to the bus stop.

Posted by: DelMarVaStormTracker | January 17, 2011 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@petworthlad

The radar colors are only an approximation of precip type. It uses an algorithm based on temps and observations.

@birnbau

We'll probably see radar back edge early to maybe mid-morning. Don't see a dry slot.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Sleeting steadily here in eastern Howard County. We have ~1/4" of white on sidewalks and streets.

Posted by: Phils-in-Columbia | January 17, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in East Baltimore. Started about an hour ago.

Already not looking forward to the commute tomorrow.

Posted by: bachaney | January 17, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

We've got sleet and it's pretty slick out on the sidewalks and stairs here in Greenbelt.

Posted by: ana_b | January 17, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Let's not think about AsymptoticUnlimited's flight out of Dulles at dawn tomorrow.

Posted by: Hoyas4Ever | January 17, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Been snowing in Reston, VA for the past hour; however, looks like a break is about here and after that could be sleet. Looks like it could get warmer, quicker than expected, to me. Temp did drop from 30 to 29 though...odd.

Posted by: parksndc | January 17, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interactive graphic that shows how a winter storm can produce snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain.

Posted by: dsrice1 | January 17, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

About a 90% sleet/10% snow mixture here between Old Town and Mt. Vernon. Pavement and driveway is slippery and the grass is becoming nicely covered.

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | January 17, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Moderate sleet here, cars and grass covered, streets beginning to get white. .

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | January 17, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Snow in Rockville... But a weird kind of snow. It's hard, but not sleet, at least not right yet. It's coating the parking lots pretty well now.

Posted by: salf | January 17, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Stepped out on my balcony in the Carlyle area, Alexandria...the metal rails have a thin coating of ice.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 17, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Not bad out there yet, just got back from Clarksburg to Bethesda, Roads are in good shape thus far, I guess it will gets worse as the night progress....

Now I'm confuse WTOP is saying this MESS will end by midnight for the WTOP Listening area, I guess the warmer air is filtering faster then expected, which is good to me, don't like this freezing rain thing...

So, I'm wondering how the morning commute will look like??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Cant believe in Sully station its snow and covered the side walks like one poster said while just a half mile down the road here we are getting sleet. Cars are slightly covered and a couple spots on the ground but still dont see evidence of snow :-\

Posted by: teebyrd86 | January 17, 2011 8:54 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing pretty hard in western Frederick County, MD (Myersville, to be exact). We still have an inch or more of snow from the last go-round, but the streets, sidewalks, and windshields tell me that it's sticking and starting to accumulate.

Posted by: jcgarwood | January 17, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Freezing rain/sleet at the intersection of Little River Turnpike and Braddock Road. There was quite a buildup on my windshield when I went out an hour ago to put the car in the garage. If this keeps up, we'll have a real mess tomorrow.

Posted by: ejutte1 | January 17, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Light to moderate snow here in Eldersburg. The temp has dropped to 25 degrees and the dewpoint is at 21. As of 9PM, there's a litte more than 1/2 inch on the ground.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting I'm on Facebook, and I'm a fan of Justin Berk, but he's a Meteorologist based in Baltimore, and he just posted something that might catch some ppl attention, I think.. He stated:
"Water Vapor Satellite 2 hour loop @7:30pm. Watch the storm wrap up in the gulf and head north. The Storm Prediction Center confirmed my thinking in their evening update. The deep layer of cold air is colder than models indicated. There will be more icing than expected. What are you seeing now *8pm and beyond? It will turn to sleet and freezing rain, but cold air will hold longer = more morning icing. If you 'LIKE' this, I will post another and more video clips in the morning. Help me push the limits of fb and remember to check in with ABC2 in the morning for the storm update and school situations..."

But not sure if meant the Baltimore Area, or the Baltimore/Washington DC AREA....

CWG, what do you think about Justin Berk statement or everyone on this thread, what do you think??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a dry slot is developing west of DC. Is there any chance that this completely misses us here in NE Loudoun?

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 17, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

@Michael_Nguyen Justin Berk is talking about the whole area in general, but the icing will be far worse to the north and west of I95.

@BobMiller2...the dry slot is already filling in. As previously stated by the CWG guys, the precip should be around through mid morning tomorrow.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Manassas. It's coming down heavier now, cars, sidewalks (except mine) and grass covered, road starting to get that way. Can hear it, can feel it now. Seems to the touch to be melty but the sound says it's frozen. Somewhere between sleet and freezing rain? So glad I salted earlier.

Posted by: MeganO | January 17, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Moderate to heavy sleet here in DuPont. This looks like it could get pretty mean....especially if it continues over night.

Posted by: valises2210 | January 17, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Cold air at the surface is going to win in Zone 3. Should have been a WSW, an advisory won't do it justice, don't think. Thanks for an excellent day of tracking and updates.

Posted by: Gooddogs | January 17, 2011 9:13 PM | Report abuse

At 8:50 we had small snowflakes in place of the earlier ice; now it is sleeting.

Posted by: Murre | January 17, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be mostly sleet falling here in Laurel.

Posted by: megamuphen | January 17, 2011 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Mix of mostly sleet with snow & rain here. Freezing has began on all elevated surfaces. Temp has gone down a degree in last hour to 31.
Which school district will cry "Uncle" first?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 17, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Just walked from Woodley Park metro to my apt in Mt Pleasant and it went from clear sidewalks to a slippery mess. And the sleet is particularly pointy and projectile-like when it hits you. I wouldn't recommend walking around tonight unless you have spikes. The roads looked okay though - wearing through the inch of salt. I'm also curious about tomorrow morning given how quickly things are deteriorating out there - even in the hot-island of the city.

Posted by: dotyt | January 17, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Fine snow just west of Leesburg. Can't believe it will rain later on!!!

Posted by: moo1 | January 17, 2011 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope OPM considers all the suburbs in making decisions about liberal leave and unscheduled telework tomorrow (unlike last week). The conditions north and west of DC should be far worse than in the city.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

With accumulated ice on the roads, there is no chance that any local school system opens tomorrow on time.

Except DCPS, which will open on time as usual.

Posted by: alertcitizen1 | January 17, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Argh!!! Come on warmer temps!! You can do it.

I complained a lot last week about winter wind. Mmmmm...no, ice tops wind.

Despite my strong desire for seeing the rest of this winter through with temps in the high 30s/low 40s. I know better. Once we're through February, that will be a bit more realistic.

Hey, so glad to see next week's temps and precips change enough to be okay. Have family coming in town and the big one: my old kitchen gets demolished and something really nice and new is somehow supposed to appear. I think I dread the kitchen remodeling more than an ice storm.

Posted by: bobosnow | January 17, 2011 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I left work in NE D.C. at 8 PM. There was sleet on my car. Driving home to Crownsville something was falling on the windshield most of the way -- I think rain, but a few times it started freezing on the glass, despite having the heat coming out the defrost vents. When I got home it was sleeting. Now I'm tucked in bed and won't be keeping track of what falls from here on out.

Cheers

Posted by: ChickenLady | January 17, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Holding around 31 with moderate sleet in Springfield area - nice sleety glaze has built up on pavements and metal surfaces, which will provide an ALL too-convenient foundation for any freezing rain to follow. If cold air holds longer than expected, tomorrow morning's commute is going to be a train wreck.

Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 17, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Moderate to heavy sleet now mixing with snow in G'town

Posted by: prickles1009 | January 17, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in North Bethesda. Ground has a thin covering of snow. Cars on Old Georgetown are travelling a bit slower than usual.

Posted by: snoisgud | January 17, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

25 degrees in Olney, snowing lightly for the past 90 mins or so. Cars and ground covered. Just went out on the porch. If there is sleet coming down, I neither heard nor felt it. The snow is "wetter" than last week, not so powdery. But it's not icy or slippery here---not yet anyway.

Posted by: lilymama | January 17, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

A nasty mix in Tenleytown. The front walk is slick!

Posted by: mjwies11 | January 17, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

ToBeBlunt - What a gradient we have with conditions around DC. I am 26 near the DC Convention Center downtown. And all snow. Fascinates me! But hope you are being safe! And hope you have semi-flexible work entry tomorrow morning...

I am enjoying reading everyone's reports. Keep them coming! Thanks for commenting, always.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

So, not sure if the temperature will rise anymore tonight, but let's say what most area temperature is right now, how much ice accumulation are we suppose to get??

Because if things don't plan what models are saying, I'm just worried things will get worst then expected?, but I guess we have to wait and see how this storm play out, I see the current temperature in Chevy Chase is 30 degrees and overcast according to the NWS website...

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Temps hovering just under 28 degrees at my home in Friendship Heights. Actually dropped a degree or so the last 2 hours. 50/50 freezing rain and sleet. Getting slick.

Posted by: dhb2 | January 17, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Nothing but a dry slot now in Reston...boring...bleh. I'm sure it'll be rain in the morning as forecasted.

Posted by: parksndc | January 17, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

27 according to my Centreville temp - that doesn't sound good. But I'm off to set the alarm just in case it's 38 and rain at 6am.

Posted by: bobosnow | January 17, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I just posted about the temperature in Chevy chase, it's not 30 that the Airport Temp, it's actually 28 degrees, but I'm trying to understand this, but it's not comprehended in my brain, but maybe some of you weather geeks will translate or even CWG... here is the link

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Steady freezing rain in Bailey's Crossroads. Coating looks like 1/4 an inch or so. Be careful out there!

Posted by: jochpo | January 17, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Arlington, Drafthouse area, never saw snow, sleeting the whole time from the sounds of it, there's now a dusting of sleet on the roads and ground.

Posted by: debiguity | January 17, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

The temp has dropped to 24 here in Eldersburg. Probably an 80% snow and 20% sleet mix here. Closing in on an inch.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna need an update on AsymptoticUnlimited's flight before I turn in.

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 17, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm in pretty much the same area (Bel Pre/Layhill) as Hanz1, who posted at 7:30, and now we've got sleet coming over a dusting of snow from before. I did see two salt trucks go by within 5 minutes...

Posted by: skidge | January 17, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Looks like sleet is taking over the radar!

Posted by: parksndc | January 17, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Now starting to sleet pretty hard in NE Loudoun. This isn't looking good for the morning commute.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 17, 2011 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Surface temps are still dropping (according to my sensor anyway) but we've changed over to sleet here in Columbia, pinging nicely on the windows

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Bob - the quicker we see warmer air, the better the morning commute, sleet this early could be a good thing.

Posted by: parksndc | January 17, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Very light sleet here in Ellicott City. Looks like a slight lull in precip for the next half hour to forty five minutes before the main batch begins to move on through.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 17, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Grosevenor-Strathmore: There's a thin layer of snow and it's now sleeting. Cars don't seem to be having any trouble on Rockville Pike, however, the sidewalks and side streets are covered.

Posted by: marie_d1 | January 17, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I just flew back from Jamaica this evening. I went from summer to winter in a 2 hour and 50 minute flight. It is currently hot and humid in Jamaica and we had some awesome beach weather this past weekend.

The drive from BWI to Oakton, VA was slippery only on the side roads, the highways were not yet icy. It may change fast, however. Most of the drive had either snow or sleet falling until I neared Tysons Corner when I hit some freezing rain. There is snow and sleet now falling in Oakton in a heavier burst.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Just a bit of snow here - just west of Leesburg. A nice layer of snow. Looks like we hit a dry patch for a bit though. Going to look at radar now.

Posted by: moo1 | January 17, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Moderate to heavy sleet and freezing rain just south of Old Town Alexandria - for about an hour now. My dog went outside and slipped on the sidewalk! It is coming down hard, if this continues for any length of time we are in for a much worse ice storm than predicted.

Posted by: squirrelgirl1 | January 17, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Manassas. About 4 mm of white stuff on surfaces including the subdivision roads. Seems to be sleet and/or freezing rain, still. It's going to be nasty tomorrow morning, if it doesn't warm up.

Posted by: MeganO | January 17, 2011 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@CWG - (Camden)

Are you really all snow? The whole time? I'm literally 4 blocks from the convention center and I've had nothing but sleet. Interesting.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | January 17, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

So I have a question. Trucks are out there trating the streets. Is it easier to have the streets nice and ready for the schools to open with snow or with "whatever" we are currently experiencing.

Posted by: RJ16 | January 17, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@Kevin. You just wanted to rub in that you were somewhere warm this past week

Posted by: Camacho_for_President | January 17, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Still nothing but sleet here in Laurel.

Posted by: megamuphen | January 17, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Frozen precip in Beltsville coming down hard.

RJ16 - In my opinion this stuff is much worse than just snow. Ice is difficult to treat, especially when you consider side roads and sidewalks.

Posted by: CYork1 | January 17, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering now that most area have change over to sleet and/or freezing rain, let's see how long it will take for a complete change over to rain!.....

I'm wondering if we don't change over to rain sooner if NWS will re-issued some new advisory and/or warnings....

Any word on the NWS discussion about this storm or the latest??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 10:28 PM | Report abuse

some pretty good sleet has been coming down here in clarendon... looking at the radar I wonder if they were expecting it to be this heavy

Posted by: finger11 | January 17, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

@Hoyas4Ever

I'm heading to bed pretty soon with my alarm set for 4:15. I'm fairly confident that the roads will be slipperly when I leave the house at 4:45, but that the light volume of traffic will make travel safe with due caution.

In addition, I am feeling good that whatever aircraft American Airlines intends to use for my flight has already arrived at IAD and is sitting at the gate slowly accumulating snow and ice. The, at around 5:45 AM a couple of trained pilots will walk on board, turn on the master switch and start running through their pre-flight. On schedule at 6:30, we will taxi across a well-salted ramp and be de-iced, as necessary, priot to an on-time departure.

All is well, people, just a little frozen precip.

Cheers,

Asymptotic

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 17, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

10:35 pm. Snow and sleet now in the Bel Pre/Layhill area with more snow than sleet coming down. I'd say there's half to 3/4 inch of wintry mix on the cars. I hope the warm temps come in sooner than later to melt all of this away by morning. Otherwise, people will be in for a rude awakening.

(Hi Skidge!)

Posted by: Hanz1 | January 17, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm in downtown Warrenton. We've had mostly sleet/freezing rain. No snow. Want to chime in and say that I loved the zone forecasts-very helpful.

Posted by: Warrenton540 | January 17, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse

MAJOR pingers hitting the skylights and side windows here in Springfield, all sleet from the look of it in the backyard spotlight now, down to around 30 degrees - perhaps about 1/8 to .25 of sleet accumulation everywhere. Getting glazy out there.

And yes, Camden, the precip gradients did seem to be all over the map within past hour, although a fair amount of immediate metro area seems to be firmly entrenched in icy "pink" on the most recent radar returns. You can bet I'll be teleworking for at least the first couple of hours of the day tomorrow...

Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 17, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

In NW DC near Chevy Chase, we had a mix as of about 9-9:30 pm. It was coating the street (a side street) and sidewalks, but grass was still poking through. Now inside, I hear an occasional ping on the window; not sure what it's doing now.

Posted by: batsandgates | January 17, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

26.1 degrees in Arnold, MD....didn't expect the temp to fall this much....Sleet is falling and a good glaze of ice all over the cars, walkways, and road.....Wonder when school systems will begin to give delays and cancellations.

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | January 17, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Sleet and freezing rain here in Dumfries. Has been this way for a couple hours now. Not sure if we'll make it up our hill in the morning or not. Will be interesting...

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 17, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Snowing heavily in Ashburn at 10:42!

Posted by: kdvols1 | January 17, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

coming down hard in Falls Church....pinging away... road is now covered... hoping there is a 2 hour delay in the morning..I guess it will depend on when this ends..

Posted by: jrodfoo | January 17, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

@moo1

Whereabouts in Loudoun are you? I'm in Philomont.

Snow turned to sleet here in the upland areas of western Loudoun, but haven't checked in the last 30 minutes to see what's new. Car windows white but not 1" at all.

Posted by: celt1 | January 17, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

In Georgetown, it's been a nice soft blanket of freezing rain coming down for about an hour. The accumulation's not insignificant -- footsteps replaced by crunching and nobody's driving anymore.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | January 17, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

WINTER STORM WARNING POSTED FOR HOWARD COUNTY

I don't even think we're going to see rain out of this one up here in northern HOCO. I'm pretty confident precipitation will move out of the area before temps get above freezing after 9am or so tomorrow.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 17, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-
SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...
GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE
1037 PM EST MON JAN 17 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR FREEZING RAIN...WHICH
IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN. FREEZING
RAIN WILL HAVE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT IMPACT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...ONE INCH OR LESS OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION.
TWO TO THREE TENTHS OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION. ICE
ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE HIGHEST ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN
SUBURBS OF BALTIMORE.

* TIMING...A MIX OF SNOW AND SLEET THIS EVENING. PRECIPITATION IS
EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN BETWEEN 11 PM AND 2 AM...AND
CONTINUE OVERNIGHT INTO THE RUSH HOUR COMMUTE TUESDAY MORNING.
FREEZING RAIN WILL CHANGE TO RAIN FROM SOUTHEAST TO NORTHWEST BY
LATE MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...MID TO UPPER 20S TONIGHT AND EARLY TUESDAY
MORNING...RISING TO THE LOW 30S BY THE MID MORNING. HIGHS
TUESDAY AFTERNOON IN THE UPPER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH TONIGHT. BECOMING NORTHWEST 10 TO
15 MPH TUESDAY.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | January 17, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

NWS Issues Winter Storm Warning for Montgomery County!!

Posted by: kdvols1 | January 17, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, things might get worst WINTER STORM WARNING FOR MONTGOMERY COUNTY ALSO, I'm wondering if the DC, Fairfax, Loundon will be expanded...

CWG, or someone please explain to me, what's going on??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Alexandria city schools 2hr delay

Posted by: jackson.barnes | January 17, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

It's been snowing/sleeting just about everywhere in the DC/Metro area for several hours now. The temps have been steady in the mid 20s or in some case have even dropped. There's no indication that the precipitation will turn over to plain rain before daybreak...or even by mid-morning north and west. I look at all that information and would be shocked if schools in most places open tomorrow. Schools sometimes close in this area for a dusting...to open under these conditions would be downright crazy; not worth the risk at all.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Also in Ashburn -- the sleet changed back to snow while I was putting ice melt on the driveway. Very pretty. Meanwhile, my husband is sitting on a plane at Dulles...waiting. They may be taking off now because of the changeover to snow.

Posted by: LoudounMom | January 17, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@AsymptoticUnlimited:

Send us an update when you're taxiing down the runway.

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 17, 2011 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA It's a sleetstorm garnished with freezing rain & little snowflakes.

Enjoy the freak weather. Sleet makes an interesting noise; much different from a rainstorm. And stay home if ya can; I know I will.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 17, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the light snow is continuing in my part of Ashburn (north of RT 7). So glad I'm off tomorrow! Everyone, please be careful in the AM.

Posted by: natsncats | January 17, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@ CWG....What are the chances the WSW will be expnaded?...Here in Arnold (AA County), the temp just dropped to 25.9 degrees? This storm appears to be playing some tricks on the local meteorologists.

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | January 17, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

light-moderate snow here in Ellicott City. At least about half an inch already on the ground. Going out for a nice walk before it changes to sleet/freezing rain. See you guys in a bit.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 17, 2011 11:00 PM | Report abuse

seems like some heavy snow falling steadily in ashburn!

Posted by: bobdello01 | January 17, 2011 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Well, this is weird stuff. It was snow, but it sounds like freezing rain. Not icing anything, b/c our surface temp is 26. It's all white and snowlike on the surface, but if you rub it between your fingers, you feel tiny round pellets.

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 17, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@bobdello01 -- yep, I just peeked outside and it is definitely snowing much heavier here now!

Lots of Ashburn folks here tonight...

Posted by: natsncats | January 17, 2011 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if the WSW will changed to an ICE STORM WARNING, if thing get worst..... Be honest I wouldn't be surprise if some of the advisory will change over to a WARNING......

I guess this storm is playing tricks with some, but not sure what's going on??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Healthy sleet here in Hyattsville. Been coming down for a few hours. This is how I remember winter from growing up in the area: ice, ice, and more ice.

If temps don't climb past freezing by morning rush, it won't be pretty.

Posted by: random-adam | January 17, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

yes there are! i would expect loudoun county to shut down for tomorrow and not risk it.

Posted by: bobdello01 | January 17, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

@DLO - good luck with OPM. Most of their folks live in Arlington. I remember an issue recently where the power was out in most of Montgomery County, and they had no idea, because they got into work just fine.

@CWG - I know this is an odd request, but could you consider posting a map in the morning of what fell where, or at least what form(s) of precip? I am in MoCo, trying to drive south and west towards Lynchburg in the morning, and with these tight gradients, one route could be totally different than the next!

Thanks as usual for staying on top of this.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | January 17, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse

@CWG The Winter Storm Warning also includes Carroll County. Didn't see that mentioned in your tweet/post. All snow here in Eldersburg again. Temp is holding at 24 degrees.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 11:12 PM | Report abuse

With apologies to Edgar Allen Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my storm window.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my storm window -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak January,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Snowmageddon-
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Snowmageddon -
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my storm window -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my storm window; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my storm window,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the window; -
Freezing rain, snow, sleet and much more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the noise was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, ` Snowmageddon!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, ` Snowmageddon!'
Merely this and nothing more.

Ah, for the memories of last winter…

Posted by: djm-01 | January 17, 2011 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Just stepped out on the balcony here in Silver Spring to see what's going on out there - everything is covered in snow / sleet with more sleet coming down right now. 16th Street looks reasonable from what I can tell, not many people on the roads. If all of this solidifies and ices over, I'm in big trouble cleaning my car off in the morning!

Posted by: CuseFan07 | January 17, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Also - been sleeting for a solid 90 mins as of 11:15p here in Four Corners. Fortunately, I don't see anything sticking to the power lines (yet.)
I have to give MD SHA credit - I took a look at the traffic cameras, and saw salt trucks at almost every beltway exit. They were ready, even with the changing forecast. DC & VA roads look to have buildup between the lanes.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | January 17, 2011 11:27 PM | Report abuse

In NW DC near Van Ness, it's pretty heavily sleeting out now. I think it started as either freezing rain or sleet (not sure) then a bit of snow/mix, now it's gotta be straight sleet. Lots of crunching on my balcony & I can hear it when I go outside. Part of the beauty of snow is that it's quiet. This isn't quiet and it's definitely not rain.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | January 17, 2011 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Prince William County Schools- Code Red 1/18/2011

[If those who make the decisions are reading this, thank you for calling this early!]

Posted by: aquarnnr | January 17, 2011 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Snowing moderate to heavy in Lovettsville VA, up to 1.25" of snow and adding up steadily. Have not seen/heard any sleet or freezing rain yet. Temp's holding steady at 26 degrees.

Posted by: TopperTed | January 17, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Prince William County Schools- Code Red 1/18/2011

Posted by: aquarnnr | January 17, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@djm-01 -- nicely done!

Posted by: natsncats | January 17, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Prince William county schools closed. Don't see how fairfax, loudoun and montgomery are going to open.

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 17, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Solid sleet here in Ellicott City. 25 degrees.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 17, 2011 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow/sleet is about to move into Carroll County from the south. Bright red on the accuweather professional radar!

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Just walked the dog in Howard County. It's sticking. The road is covered and because I went out in old sneakers with worn treads instead of my nice lug soled boots, I was sliding all over the place. It's around a half inch, measured on my driveway.

Posted by: Sanya2135 | January 17, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I really don't see the RAIN LINE inching toward the Region, well we can say we are experiencing our FIRST MAJOR WINTER SOTRM, but unfortunately it's not SNOW, it's more a ICE STORM....

I'm curious if PEPCO is prepared for any power outages since there will ICE BUILDING up on Power LINES.....

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 17, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Manassas: Took a step outside just now onto my "heavily salted" front step, and skidded. It is definitely sleet out there. I'd call it about half an inch, and it was pelting my face as I looked around. Louder than before. Roads, vehicles and sidewalks covered, plus a good coating on lawns.

Posted by: MeganO | January 17, 2011 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow has now mixed with sleet here in Carroll County. We'll see what things look like in the AM.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 17, 2011 11:58 PM | Report abuse

27 degrees with a mix of freezing rain and sleet here in St Margaret's just east of Annapolis. About 1/10" or more of ice on everything (just took the dog out on his leash). Lots of green transformer flashes to the northeast of me. Hoping the power stays on here. With the temps staying colder looks like more of an icing event.

Posted by: deusxmach | January 18, 2011 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Hi Hanz! Weird mixture of accumulating sleet/snow now in Bel Pre/Layhill, only half an inch or so on the sidewalk where I am, but slippery. Not sure about the roads. Going to bed now and glad I don't have to go anywhere in the morning...

Posted by: skidge | January 18, 2011 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Seems like it's sleeting out here in Ashburn, could hear it hitting the windows. Not going outside to verify though!

Posted by: natsncats | January 18, 2011 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Moco is in winter storm warning until noon? Yep, those schools will be as closed as a nun's legs on Tuesday.

All major school systems in a winter storm warning will close. Dc will open on time, but charter schools will be closed.

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | January 18, 2011 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | January 18, 2011 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | January 18, 2011 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | January 18, 2011 12:44 AM | Report abuse

just getting my 1st break since i started working around 630 last nite. its has been icing.sleeting all nite and is still going at 145am. Just no point in salting this anymore its just not working.

Hope all you winter wx lovers have fun out on the roads and sidewalks tomorrow! I'll be working untill about 7am this morning (about 13 hours of OT!) hopefully it is raining by then to make things a bit easier. ABC7 11pm broadcast with Bob Ryan was a huge fail, the stupid "futurecast" showed us in rain at 1am, total failure. Still icing/sleeting hardcore out here just east of dc.

Ok back to work for me, I cant believe theres ppl who like this stuff,some of these drivers out here arent at this point, ppl slip sliding away all over kenilworth avenue in MD!

Posted by: KRUZ | January 18, 2011 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown is a skating rink right now...pouring rain and 29F.

Posted by: prickles1009 | January 18, 2011 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning! Time for me to go catch my flight. Appears to be a tad icy, but I still predict I will arrive safely at IAD and my flight will depart on time.

If anyone would like to check up on me it's American 1083 from IAD to DFW, departing 6:30am. I'll wave to you from above!

-Asymptotic

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 18, 2011 4:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey, AsymptoticUnlimited, be careful when out and about, it's very slick on my street in western Fairfax County!

Also, a heads up, FCPS is closed for the day! So are all of the surrounding systems, except for Alexandria's 2 hour delay (No word on Arlington yet).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | January 18, 2011 4:49 AM | Report abuse

finally done salting these roads, been at it since around 6pm last night. my town is looking great, more than i can say for county roads (PG). im off to sleep now! to all those who enjoy winter weather, have fun out on those sidewalks and/or roads!!!!! I'll be rooting for you all ;)

Posted by: KRUZ | January 18, 2011 6:56 AM | Report abuse

KRUZ, you said,
"...to all those who enjoy winter weather, have fun out on those sidewalks and/or roads!!!!! I'll be rooting for you all."

oh, brother... now come on KRUZ... maybe you're just testy after staying up all night. we who "enjoy winter weather" aren't talking about this crap, and you know it. "winter weather" is a broad brush. we're SNOWlovers. i daresay there are very very very very few people who are happy with this crap, and the only reason anybody's happy about it is because they're missing school (as teacher or student). this has nothing to do with pretty scenery or playing outside then coming in and having hot chocolate or even building a snowman - or snow woman - or any of that. i DO NOT consider this a day where we evil snowlovers got our wish.

anyway, i'm sure local residents appreciate your plowing/salting efforts - whether they express it or not. btw, did you do that out of the goodness of your heart? or did you get paid money to do it?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 18, 2011 7:57 AM | Report abuse