The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 01/25/2011

AM update: Winter Storm Watch for N & W suburbs

By Jason Samenow

10:20 a.m. ALERT: The National Weather Service has posted a Winter Storm Watch for the north and west suburbs from Wednesday afternoon through late Wednesday night. Counties in the watch include Frederick, Carroll, northern Baltimore, Harford, and Montgomery in Md., and Rappahannock, Loudoun and northern Fauquier in Va.

The watch indicates the potential for five inches or more of snow starting just after noon east of the Appalachians and toward late afternoon in the Washington/Baltimore suburbs continuing through around midnight. I think this timing is more in reference to the accumulating snow - lighter mixed precipitation may begin earlier than that. I would not be surprised if this watch is extended east later today to cover the entire metro region.

From 10:00 a.m.: Our winter weather expert Wes Junker is working on a storm analysis that I'm going to try to post by around noon today. In the mean time, here are some notes...

* The latest NAM model (run at 7 a.m., 12z) continues to advertise a heavy thump of snow starting tomorrow afternoon (from northwest to southeast) and continuing into the evening after a variety of mainly light mixed precipitation depending on where you live.

* Although we've been saying the best snow potential is north and west of town due to colder temperatures, the models are really starting to indicate the heaviest precipitation may fall along and east of I-95. As a result of these compensating factors, snow totals may not vary as much as we've been indicating.

* One thing the models have been very consistent about is the track and intensity of the upper level area of low pressure - which is quite favorable for snow here and impressive. On the other hand, temperatures remain uncertain and marginal for snow - especially early on in the storm. The uncertainty in temperature and the fact that small variations in the storm track and intensity could still significantly impact the forecast make predicting amounts really challenging.

* Due to the energy associated with this storm, it's possible localized heavy banding of snow may develop tomorrow late afternoon and evening. It's very difficult to pinpoint where this would happen - but where it does snowfall rates could be very heavy with the possibility of thundersnow.

* The National Weather Service is waiting to issue Winter Storm Watches for the region until it reviews this morning's model suite.

* Wes will discuss snow accumulation probabilities more in his update, NOAA has already issued some: probabilities of 4", 8" and one foot of snow Wednesday.

* Meteorologist Dave Tolleris at WxRisk.com has issued an accumulation outlook which seems pretty reasonable - although you'll see some differences in what we produce in our noon update.

* Andrew Freedman, Steve Tracton and I are here in (sleepless in) Seattle attending the American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting. Over 3,000 meteorologists are here - including some of the country's leading minds in East Coast storm prediction. I've sent Andrew out to interview some of them about the storm and we'll post their thoughts later. Though we're tracking/analyzing the storm remotely, we still have a good chunk of our stable of CWG meteorologists in D.C. who will be able to report from the scene tomorrow. (For snow lovers, that Steve Tracton is out of town is a good sign, - big snows always happen when he leaves town. He swears he's cursed)

By Jason Samenow  | January 25, 2011; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts, Latest, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Warm before winter storm
Next: Odds increasing for heavy, wet snow late Wed.

Comments

Jason...this post is impressive. Thank you. You rock.

Posted by: parksndc | January 25, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm literally addicted to this blog. I don't even really care about the weather that much, but the technical analysis is certainly intriguing.

Waiting on those afternoon models. :)

Posted by: dmackerman6226 | January 25, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Thundersnow.... oh my, how agonizingly ominous.

Posted by: lingering_lead | January 25, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Great post. These were the "probability" maps I was looking for earlier.

Posted by: biketraveller22 | January 25, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Glad to know about the AMS meeting Jason. That explains the absence of a bunch of the TV mets too.

Posted by: petworthlad | January 25, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I have not felt this good since last year. :p

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm still lost in dreams of thundersnow. Sounds like things are starting to shape up nicely for a half-a-footer or so.... give or take an inch or two.

Posted by: lingering_lead | January 25, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Thundersnow??... Are we expecting thundersnow?? If we are isn't that like 2-3 Inches per hour??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 25, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm ready for a good thumping. Bring on the thumpage.
And am also ready for an all rain winter weather bust.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 25, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

So, wxrisk calls for 2-5 and "accu"weather 8-12. That probably means we're getting 5-7.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 25, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The accumulation outlook map shows our area in the B and D areas, so that's 1-5". I realize that's way more than we've had so far, but not really a major storm, is it?

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | January 25, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Asympt,

Where do you see Accuweather predicting 8-12?

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | January 25, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Interesting WSW been posted N and W, I'm wondering if the NWS going to expand it towards the East for the DC/Baltimore Area??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 25, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

..And there's the Winter Storm Watch posted, at least for the Cloverly hood - for 5+ inches

Bring it!

Posted by: MDDem2 | January 25, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

CWG- is there any chance that the trailing upper level Low combines with the Surface Low right over our area, providing us with an intense transitionary band of snow. Here is the NWS Discussion- "WHAT WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED ESPECIALLY IS THE POSSIBLE BRIEF PHASING BETWEEN THE STRENGTHENING OFFSHORE LOW AND THE UPPER SYSTEM AS IT NEARS THE CHESAPEAKE BAY REGION."

Posted by: jac8949 | January 25, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

LWX is confident about the N&W areas getting to advisory level snow...I am sure that they are waiting on the GFS to verify the colder temps before they bite on the rest of the areas to the east. Correctly done, IMHO. Here. We. Go.

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@thecapsfan79

I was quoting DLO1975 from the prior thread. (See below). I did mistranscribe his 6-12 as 8-12 for which I do apologize. (Also note my quotes around "accu").

________________________________

Bastardi is getting more bullish. The Big Dog is up and running and he intends to up totals for the big cities from DC to Boston. Calling for 6-12 in those areas and up to 15 inches just north and west. Says there will be a period of 4+ hours tomorrow night when it could snow 2+ inches per hour in the DC/MD area.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 25, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 25, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

DullesARC, I agree with you. I think temp concerns must still be the issue. Though I'm honestly perplexed why they would not issue the watch in this range. I would expect it soon if the rest of the midday guidance holds and it's been fairly steady on the important features.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

So when will we get our TPA (Toilet Paper Alert) that's what I wanna know?!?! Is this a 3 roller or a 6 roller? :-)

I'd prefer better timing as a lot of us will be at work while it's really falling heavily, but it's better than rain or nothing!!

I'm doin' my LOTSA Snow Dance in my chair at work for ya walter!!

Posted by: wadejg | January 25, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Oh, ok. "Accu" weather seems to be playing down accumulations for this storm, which is strange considering they are always over-hyping accumulation estimates...

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | January 25, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

How am I supposed to get any work done when words like "thundersnow" are being thrown about? I have no choice but to repeatedly refresh the page!

Posted by: allagar | January 25, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Thunder is a possibility. If someone gets caught in the convection, thats 3-4 inches before you finish shoveling the driveway. Fanastic turn for us. Lets monitor the temps today and see if they really get mid and upper 40s...we'd be in a slightly better place if we undercut that by a few ticks.

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

wadejg - please have a couple rolls of toilet paper on hand. Always? on hand...

allagar - thanks for following us. Yes we still have to hit refresh to make sure latest comments are up. Ah well. I bet that while I am typing this, 3 more comments will show up after your comment?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

THUMP THUMP THUMP!!! That's my heart beating excitedly. Can't help my love of snow =)

Posted by: lisajulia | January 25, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yay! I'm in Sterling, so I'm included in the Winter Storm Watch!!!!!!!! 5"+ possible; says the NWS!!!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Ian - not sure totally about the dynamics involved with a warming ground temp, but the areas N&W were in the mid single digits about 24 hours ago...that has to play into accumulations beginning earlier out my way. I was 6 in the LoCo bootheel at 6am yesterday. Not sure it was THAT cold in the eastern burbs, even the colder spots. Has to make a difference...even if we hit 45 today, it will only be for a short time. The majority of the daylight hours will likely be in the upper 30s to low 40s, and thats only if the highs progged for today verify.

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday evening, I believe NBC's Chuck Bell mentioned that Veronica Johnson was at the conference receiving an award.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 25, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@ allagar: I am right there with you!

Come ON Snow! Snow! Snow!

Posted by: mjwies11 | January 25, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

CWG -

Is Thundersnow possible or let's not carry ourself @ this time?? Hearing on here "THUNDERSNOW"??

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 25, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

My husband makes fun of my obsession with CWG. Good to see from the comments that I'm not the only one!

Posted by: JCR7 | January 25, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Is the link to the wxrisk guy's chart an outdated one? It has a date of January 10th on the top right and doesn't match the chart that he just posted on Facebook a few minutes ago.

Posted by: capsfan5 | January 25, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Is this snow supposed to be on top of, or in place of, the early morning ice that has been in the forecast for several days now for those of us in Montgomery county?

Posted by: McCarthy911 | January 25, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I want to encourage everyone to remain rational and calm -- know that we will have a more full update for you by our Winter Weather Expert, Wes Junker, around noon today. The trend is leaning toward a more snowy scenario, but nothing is a done deal yet. It can still chance. But confidence is growing.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@allagar

You better be careful. Your boss probably wouldn't be too happy if he found out you're spending your day at work looking at the weather! ;)

@lingering_lead

Did someone say THUNDERSNOW?!?!?!?!?! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!

@thecapsfan79

I say just disregard accuwx's forecasts in the first place. They mean nothing.

@MDDem2

I know it! I'm sooo excited! 5+ inches would be AMAZING!

@weatherwatcher1

It's better than nothing, eh?

@Michael_Nguyen

I think that if the models conntinue to point to more snow & less rain, then YES, the watch probably WILL be extended S&E.

@AsymptoticUnlimited

6 - 12 would be brilliant, but that's coming from Joe Bastardi, isn't it now?? :)

@ FIREDRAGON47

All rain??!! I thought you were a snow-lover??

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If this baby happens, I'm calling it snoPRISE because no one knows it's coming...

I'm in Rockville and we're in the winter storm watch area...

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...MAINLY SNOW...BUT POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SOME
SLEET...FREEZING RAIN...OR RAIN WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...STARTING JUST AFTER NOON EAST OF THE APPALACHIANS...BUT
CLOSER TO LATE AFTERNOON IN THE WASHINGTON BALTIMORE SUBURBS.
ENDING AFTER MIDNIGHT FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST WEDNESDAY
NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 30S WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...DROPPING TO THE MID
TO UPPER 20S WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...BECOMING
NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Posted by: homertuckumd | January 25, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@Camden

What's the fun in being calm and rational? I've already abandoned my car in anticipation.

;-)

In all seriousness, my wife is scheduled to work tomorrow night (she's a nurse). She'll be driving in from eastern Loudoun County around 6 PM or so...is it looking like she is going to have a tough drive?

Posted by: Deakor | January 25, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm in Rockville and we're in the winter storm watch area...

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...MAINLY SNOW...BUT POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SOME
SLEET...FREEZING RAIN...OR RAIN WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...STARTING JUST AFTER NOON EAST OF THE APPALACHIANS...BUT
CLOSER TO LATE AFTERNOON IN THE WASHINGTON BALTIMORE SUBURBS.
ENDING AFTER MIDNIGHT FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST WEDNESDAY
NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 30S WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...DROPPING TO THE MID
TO UPPER 20S WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...BECOMING
NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Posted by: homertuckumd | January 25, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2 While you need the quotes around "accu" in "accuweather", you don't need the quotes around _____ in "Bastardi"

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 25, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!!! Please, please, please snow! Ugh...this blog is so addictive! Ok, I seriously need to get some work done...

Posted by: WxProcrastinator | January 25, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, its growing. That .89 qpf at IAD is in a 6 hour period at 36 hrs...GFS is absolutely, positively money. Triple 7s on this run. Plenty cold enough.

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The GFS is just beautiful.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

No school Wednesday and delay Thursday. Schools will not want to send kids to school knowing we'll be getting mix of ice, freezing rain, and then to top it all off 8 inches of snow. NICE.

Posted by: RJ16 | January 25, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@ CWG

What could be expected out in the Winchester, Frederick County VA area?

Posted by: kylef1 | January 25, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I think temps will be higher overnight and for much of the early part of the day tomorrow than forecasted. We've seen this before. If highs make it to mid and upper 40's today and cloud cover rolls in before sunset, they act like a blanket and keep temps up. Again, there is no strong high pressure to the north to cool things off rapidly.

Also, I'm wondering why there's no mention of the possibility of the upper level storm transferring its energy to the coastal and dry slotting DC. That's something else that happens quite often in these parts.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 25, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

+1 lisajulia

... must tear myself away from this blog.

Posted by: OsnowO | January 25, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Time to bust out my "Freak Out and Buy Milk and Toilet Paper" shirt!

Posted by: georgieporgie1 | January 25, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring, if you look at any major storm around here it has a 500mb signature similar to this one. And that signature has been present on the models for days and days.. the main issue has been temps. We might not get any extra "overruning" with the warm air advection on the front but with this setup it should not matter much. It's almost perfect at the mid-levels.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Snow lovers never fear. My parents are scheduled to arrive from So Cal on Thursday and have a grave dislike of snow....pretty much guarentees snow in my mind. Why they planned a trip to NOVA in Jan is a whole nother conversation!

Posted by: allie220311 | January 25, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Double digits look possible in the western burbs with the GFS on board...heck its actually a little wetter than the NAM.

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Deakor - yes a tough drive tomorrow night. Very funny about abandoning your car preemptively, ha!

kylef1 - out in Winchester I think you have a very good chance at staying all snow. A moderate accumulation is to be expected, I believe.. confidence still not high, but that is my quick reference for you.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Oops, wrong shirt. That guy has a couple of variation on the theme.

Posted by: georgieporgie1 | January 25, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@RJ16 I hope you're right!!

I think I'm addicted to this site!

Posted by: BG347 | January 25, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Please do NOT tell your friends and neighbors.

At least not until I can get to the grocery store for the milk I need this afternoon. :D

Posted by: concepcion611 | January 25, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

How does this storm set-up compare to the February 2006 storm?

Posted by: DOG3521 | January 25, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

TWC STILL has Dc and the local area as a mainly rain event . When are they gonna catch up?

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@JCR7- Oh, I definitely spend more time with CWG than I do with my own family. My husband doesn't get it either. He pays no attention to weather at all.

@BobMiller2-it is better than nothing, but I'd prefer something really clear so I can make a call on my commutes for the next two days.

@Camden - "I want to encourage everyone to remain rational and calm." I don't know why, I just find this hilarious. I picture all of at our computers frantically hitting refresh every 10 seconds, our hearts racing, waiting for the next update, and spinning increasing exciting snow scenarios.

The one problem with this storm is that it will really disappoint my daughter if school is canceled. Normally she'd be happy for a day off, but this week she has a break from regular classes and they do fun special interest classes instead.

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | January 25, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Add me to the list of people who would absolutely love an Android app. I actually just searched the market for one the other day and was very sad to not see one. My accuweather app and my weather channel app just aren't doing it for me. You guys are way more accurate and informative.

Posted by: Eroq95 | January 25, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The 12z GFS is amazing. The recon info went into this run, no? Also, props Ian you have been spot on all winter over @ American.

Posted by: MVPlaya8120 | January 25, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

*Snow dance * snow dance* snow dance! Glad I'm not the only CWG addict. You guys ROCK.

I've been following this blog for 2 years and you never disappoint. Thanks for the thorough analysis.

Posted by: WxProcrastinator | January 25, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Ian. Understood.

Time will tell I suppose.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 25, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jac8949 | January 25, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@BradFinWoodbridgeVA

They'll catch up as soon as they bring in Mike Seidel. He knows what he's talking about!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry snow bunnies, actually, the latest weather forecast from NWS and Accuweather for the District of Columbia this evening calls for light rain after midnight with a chance of it mixing with sleet/snow early Wednesday morning and changing to all rain around early. The temperature at midnight tonight is expected to be around 37F and 34F by 6AM. The high Wednesday is 45F and the low is 29F. The rain is expected to change back to snow after 7PM Wednesday evening and could accumulate 1-2 inches before ending after midnight Thursday.

Fox5 weatherman Tony Perkins predicts 1-3, but he SPECIFICALLY said it was a range and that he DID NOT say 3 inches. It appears that he presumes it will be closer to 1-2.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 25, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

As of 10:45, the NWS is saying my area (22191) might not even get an inch of accumulation. I don't have any love in my heart for the NWS right now.

Posted by: lisajulia | January 25, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Question for CWG and CWG fans: my other half is flying back from Toronto to DC through Philly tomorrow night. Since he's the meteo buff and I just like watching snow fall, what are the chances of his flight making it home?

Thanks!

Posted by: museum_lady | January 25, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

new GFS is strong too! wet and cold. breathe in.... breath out....etc...

AsymptoticUnlimited,
thanks for the zone 4 thought, but surely there will be complex forecasts (maybe this one) with 4,5 zones... i'll be zone zero.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 25, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

TWC just changed there mind. They are finnaly saying we COULD be an all snow event for DC. ABOUT TIME!!!!

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Big juicy flakes, we want big juicy flakes!!

Posted by: jaybird926 | January 25, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow,lots of very snow-positive postings being made now by CWG members.

If this pans out we'll have a terrible PM rush hour. The schools probably won't cancel Wed classes because the precip won't be snow/won't be heavy until the afternoon.
Troubling logistics aside, I need to prepare the household for the event.
Oh wait, we've been reved up & ready for snow since November.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 25, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

My Refresh button is wearing out!

Posted by: HaymarketDV | January 25, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Is CWG going to do a "best of the snowstorm comments" post this year like they did with snowmageddon?

like this,

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 25, 2011 11:03 AM |
--------------------

This one's a head-scratcher for sure....

Posted by: lingering_lead | January 25, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

THE SNOW IS COMING. WE MUST PREPARE. GO AHEAD, RUN TO THE GROCERY STORE. STOCK UP. HUNKER DOWN. THIS IS SERIOUS.

But in the mean time, let it SNOW, let it SNOW, let it SNOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It's very interesting how "Accu"Weather show's a .2 differnce of snow by just about 10 miles from Arlington, VA to DC. Will this come down to about one 20 mile band of intense thundersnow?

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: weatherwatcher1
*************************************

**looks for weatherwatcher1's camera behind her desk at work**

Nope, I guess you're just psychic! :-)

Posted by: wadejg | January 25, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Everyone who is freakin out about the NWS and TWC forecasts - it takes time to ingest the new info, re-formulate a forecast (which is done by a conglomerate of pros via Skype, phone, email...) and takes time to physically post on a website. Hold your horsies. Relax...they are going to take care of you. And remember, this run has the "special" info from the flight into the storm by NOAA in the Gulf. Its looking - good. But be patient with these specific media outlets. Better yet, wait for WES in about an hour or so, right Ian?

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm also wondering weather to tell the kids that we could get 12 inches at max? What are you guys gonna tell them?

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

DullesARC, I hear rumors Wes is "excited". That's good enough for me.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Wes? EXCITED! WOOO HOOO

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Is Wes "bullish"?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 25, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clos82 | January 25, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Based on the 12z run of the 18z GFS 850mb predicted position and zero degree temp line at 850 mb, mixed precip and the snow line should move eastward across the area during Wednesday afternoon. This senario usually results in more snow accumulation north and west of the metro area and less south and east.

So head west you snow lovers!!!!

Posted by: Jimbo77 | January 25, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Must...hit...refresh...button...faster!

Posted by: GenerationYforChange | January 25, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I love Ian. My husband said it's okay. I might love Wes too in about 45 minutes!

Posted by: lisajulia | January 25, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"What are you guys gonna tell them?"

Posted by: mscofield1 | January 25, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wes Excited = Bad for ThinkSpring/Good for Walter's sculpting

Posted by: DullesARC | January 25, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@mscofield1 Awesome idea!

Posted by: HaymarketDV | January 25, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

this makes me very unhappy but nonetheless im prepared. but im still not buying into these models. with forecasters all over the place i feel confident in a bust! its happened before, heres hoping it happens again!

i mean just a couple days ago this was a rain storm now models are showing a possible blizzard and with thunder snow :/ ill believe that when i hear it.

patiently awaiting Wes' update! Heres hoping he sees the bust potential and im not alone in thinking (hoping) it will bust.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 25, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@mscofield :Do thier homework and leave me alone I need to hit refresh. I might teach the 2 year old which one is refresh incase my refresh finger fails.

Agreed. My son is home sick and looking over my shoulder and is like, "A FOOT OF SNOW? THAT WOULD ROCK" Please let this not be a bust.

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

So much excitement!!! I am predicting 1" of rain.

Posted by: AlfromAlexandria | January 25, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone want to give me a good forcast for NW Arlington?

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Is it noon yet???

Posted by: HaymarketDV | January 25, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@mscofield1 - "Do thier homework and leave me alone I need to hit refresh. I might teach the 2 year old which one is refresh incase my refresh finger fails." I love this. I am way more excited about snow than my kids, so I imagine they would just wander off after awhile and forget to refresh. I wonder if I can train the dog to do it?

I mentioned the snow tomorrow to my daughter to warn her that her basketball game might be canceled and she just glared at me, so I'm not saying another word.

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | January 25, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

12z NAM showing 9" total at National... damn. 6" in 3 hrs down in Fred, VA at midnight tomorrow - 3am WOW.

Posted by: finger11 | January 25, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

BobMiller2 - let's hope this event rises to the level where CWG needs to pull together a "best of the commenters" post

BTW, if you've got some time to kill pull up the archived posts from the week leading up to the storm last February. You'll laugh at the guys calling "bust" as the storm rolls in and also find that even 24-36 hrs out there was uncertainty about how that event was going to end up. Great stuff.

Posted by: MDDem2 | January 25, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Keep gettting a Http/1.1 Service Unavailable error when I try to view the weather.com story about the snow... must be updating or something....

Posted by: jrodfoo | January 25, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@kruz, I feel for you man, I really do. Being from Florida originally, I love snow. But the people in DC drive bad enough without snow (especially on the beltway!), but throw in some snow and suddenly people throw logic out the window and assume 4x4=I can still go 60mph with snow covered streets. But I'm still doing my snow dance though... ;)

Posted by: dcg35 | January 25, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

is it a good thing I get a error message when looking up the forecast on TWC for dc?

Posted by: 882181 | January 25, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Folks-I know everyone is itching for Wes's update but it may be delayed until around 12:30 p.m. (hopefully not too much later) We're working on graphics, figuring out amounts... lots of balls in the air!!!

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 25, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

My computer model is still showing mostly a rain event for area south and east of DC. Once again, Philly, New York and Boston get hammered! Hey, even the Outerbanks has had more snow than DC has gotten this winter!

Posted by: Firedude | January 25, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey Capital Weather Gang! Great job as always.

Brandon Oland from the Carroll County Times checking in. I know you guys are busy. Is there any way you can link to our Weather or Not blog? We've been tracking the storm for folks in Central Maryland and regularly link to the Capital Weather Gang blog.

Here's our latest update complete with what conditions might be like in Frederick, Carroll, Baltimore and Howard Counties Wednesday: http://tinyurl.com/49rs47y

Posted by: brandoncct | January 25, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Don't dog the 4x4 enthusiasts too much. Some of us know how to use our machines properly and respect the conditions. That said, it is mighty satisfying to drive up an unplowed street with ease when all the cars are parked at the bottom or in ditches.

Posted by: kwojciec | January 25, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Went ahead a took a Vacation day tommorow. That was I can chill out at home no matter if its a bust or not..LOL!!!

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm a relatively new reader, but I've been reading you guys obsessively in the past few weeks (possibly because I'm a snow lover and have been unimpressed with the lame storms we've gotten lately and have been coming here looking for good news).

I logged in just to say that it's really impressive how interesting the posts are (and easy to understand for people who know nothing like me), but it's even more impressive that the comments are lively and positive. Too many blogs these days are filled with people using internet anonymity as a licence to be a tool; you guys are awesome. =]

Posted by: bwowen1 | January 25, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

IF ACCU Blunder is going 8-12 for DCA they are DELUSIONAL. Folks need to slown down here. The Fierce VVS on the 12z NAMare great but the roads ill be soaking wet and teps will be above freezing at the start.

MY last map is from 1am .. new one out shortly

Posted by: wxrisk | January 25, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Jason-CapitalWeatherGang and Wes:

Take all the time you need.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

yeah ppl with 4x4s are the worst. they think they are superman/woman when driving. 4x4s are usually the one smashed into a phone pole or tree.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 25, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

TWC is gettin a little excited now. the lady just said 1-3 for Dc but some of there models show 10inches....its gettin crazy aint it...the fun is finnaly starting..lol

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Firedud: "To telework or not to telework that is the question for tomorrow. Any prediction on the evening rush tomorrow I-395/I-95 South to Springfield/Lorton." That's my question too- although I'm heading north. I'm thinking of getting really early and heading out around 2:30 or 3, but I still don't have a good sense of when the snow will really start. It may make more sense to stay home, but then what about Thursday?

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | January 25, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

WSW up now for across the bay bridge.

Posted by: mscofield1 | January 25, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Folks, keep in mind snow is measured on a board (or series of boards) - not on roadways. Yes, accumulation on pavement will be difficult with warmer temps and hours of rain, but that's not how the official measurements are taken.

Posted by: Steve-wxtalkwordpresscom | January 25, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

i really like twc take on this storm! hope they stay strong with the rAin forecast and in the end are the only ones right!

Just say NO to sNOw!

Posted by: KRUZ | January 25, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I have chocolate, therefore I am ready for any snowstorm.

Posted by: WickedRose | January 25, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Now again the SNOW HOLE for DC/Baltimore, I see the NWS has issued a Winter Storm Watch for Phladelphia, and our Eastern Shore, then I see NWS prediction snowfall is about 2 Inches through the city, but piling up north... I know it takes a while for the new data....

What's up with the SNOW HOLE...

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 25, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@wxrisk, gotta love your blog post about the "ass-worshipping of the GFS" and how it needs to stop. I always thought the Canadian weather models were not generally accepted as good solutions but it's interesting to read different opinions.

Posted by: dcg35 | January 25, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Cripes! Could Mother Nature PLEASE make her mind?! I'm going to jinx this whole thing... going to Safeway for milk, bread and toilet paper.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 25, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

How are temps looking at Noon around the area compared to forecast highs today. Could be important. 32 degrees here in Eldersburg, MD. Forecasted high is 44. have a feeling we'll stay a bit under that. We'll all look forward to another live blogging model watch event tonight.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 25, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Well if they are predicting 8-12 inches at DCA, as typically measured on the solar-heated tarmac next to jet engines, complete with warmer than average air blowing off the Potomac, then we can all rest assured it will be a storm of a lifetime.

Posted by: rocotten | January 25, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@ Kruz ---> TWC website states they are adjusting the website since they see the new model looks to be more snow then rain....

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 25, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

41 and holding in Gaithersburg.

Posted by: snowstalker | January 25, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

My computer models are now showing this as a non-event for DC. Very little accumulation 1" - 2" if that. More North and West, again!

Posted by: Firedude | January 25, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

1) jac8949, your "Holy Moly" link doesn't work.
2) Bob Miller, did you note that light blue over NOVA kinda looks like a heart? It's a sign.
3) Every time I read "thundersnow," I hear ACDC's "Thunderstruck" in my head, but they're singing about snow instead.
4) EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I am SO giddy about the possibility of even 2 inches of snow tomorrow (I'm Arlington/downtown DC so I'm keeping my expectations very low)

Posted by: kmill67 | January 25, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@Firedude which models exactly?

Posted by: dmackerman6226 | January 25, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Curious what the CWG feels about School/Fed Casts

Posted by: Bious | January 25, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

kmill67:(I'm Arlington/downtown DC so I'm keeping my expectations very low)

I'm sitll looking for 3 inches, maybe a foot. (Big differnce, I know) Arlington was the place to be last year, and I hope we'll get slammed again!

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

kmill67:(I'm Arlington/downtown DC so I'm keeping my expectations very low)

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"Jason-CapitalWeatherGang and Wes:Take all the time you need."

How about until Thursday morning???LOL

Posted by: BlackHill | January 25, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

All the models looks so beautiful..canadian/GGEM included

Posted by: finger11 | January 25, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Washington, D.C.:

•Precipitation begins: Early Wed AM (may start briefly as rain)
•Heaviest snow: Wed late afternoon/evening (including rush)

•Precipitation ends: Late Wed night
•Snow accumulations: Most likely 2-5". However, a slight chance of in excess of 8".

Thats TWC... That's better from a lot of rain. So a little west would be about 3-6 and a little east would be about 1-4. GO WEST!

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Washington, D.C.:

•Precipitation begins: Early Wed AM (may start briefly as rain)
•Heaviest snow: Wed late afternoon/evening (including rush)

•Precipitation ends: Late Wed night

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I second what BobMiller2 said- please take your time guys! We know there's a lot to look at for the update.

"my only question is regarding the timing of this storm. I think schools will close on wednesday in fear of the storm, but what about federal workers? What do you see coming with that? "

Yeah- my big question too. APS didn't close with the last storm and icy conditions when everyone else, except DC, did. So, I think it's pretty likely we will head out tomorrow morning as the roads will be fine (as of my thinking now- might change with Wes' report). Then, if it starts after 12, we won't be released early (as was the case with the afternoon snow before that when all the school systems- except APS and DC, closed early)- and if the snow starts after 5? I will have to go to my night class at UVA. There is a high factor I will be on the roads at an undesirable time.

KRUZ, I try my best not to drive when its snowing, but if schools don't let out, I don't have a choice. It's all in the timing.

That said- BRING ON THE SNOW!!! I can work the timing issues out later :D

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 25, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Great job as always CWG. I am sitting here at my desk hoping my patients don't show so I can follow all the updates. I think I have memorized the times when new models come out.

Posted by: snowdentist | January 25, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

If we need to wait till 12:30ish can you at least drop us a hint to let us know if Wes is still excited =)

Posted by: lisajulia | January 25, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

We have had so many bust and let downs this winter i can see why myself and alot of folks are getting excited. So cheer on everyone!!!!

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, it looks like we're going to be snowed in and I was wondering, at what point should I resort to cannibalism? I know I should go grab milk and bread to avoid doing this, but who am I kidding, I probably won't.

Posted by: travischilders | January 25, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

T-minus 13 minutes until 12:30...

Productivity so far today = nil.

Posted by: GenerationYforChange | January 25, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Love this blog. I learn so much! it's 38 degrees and holding in Montgomery Village. Maybe there's a cahnce we won't reach the forecasted highs. If so, the cold should help with snow totals. I am trying not to get too excited but I do keep hitting refresh!

Posted by: soleil2000 | January 25, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@benzachr
"I'm still looking for 3 inches, maybe a foot. (Big difference, I know) Arlington was the place to be last year, and I hope we'll get slammed again!"
---------------
I know! I loved it last year! I'm ready for something serious tomorrow, but I keep the expectations low so I won't be disappointed.

Posted by: kmill67 | January 25, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@DullesArc -

Thanks for your concern, but I'm not worried. I still see no evidence of a high pressure system to the north being in position.

It may snow, but a "big" one is unlikely, in my relatively uneducated humble opinion.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 25, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@kmill67
@benzachr
---------------

Yeah... 1 minute till 12:30. I'm ready for a good 2-10 inch WIIIIDE estimate. Keeps hopes high!

Posted by: benzachr | January 25, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

TWC Surface looks nice, all that moisture coming this way! :)

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 25, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Howard Bernstein just showed his accumulation map and had most of Montgomery and all of Loudoun county in the 6 - 8"+ range.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What's Charlottesville looking like in the latest runs?

Posted by: carrerascott | January 25, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it 12:30?

Posted by: ash10 | January 25, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

43 in Gaithersburg now...

Posted by: snowstalker | January 25, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I almost never post here, but I've got to say I love reading this blog when a snow event looms. My husband is a total snow-skeptic (he knows something about modeling, as do I, but he refuses to believe the models more than 48-36 hours out). So CWG is my home away from home, safe in the virtual arms of my fellow snow lovers (mostly).

When I read that Wes was "excited", combined with the THUMP word---well, words can't quite express the burst anticipation I felt. The little bubble of inner joy is welling up, ready to burst.

Posted by: annapyr | January 25, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

12:41 TICK TICK TICK

Posted by: lisajulia | January 25, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

WJLA says...

ABC 7 Forecast

We're now tentatively predicting a more significant snowfall tomorrow with 4 to 7 inches north and west of the city, and 2 to 5 in the city, and south and east.

Posted by: Showmethesnow | January 25, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 25, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is I work for a Federal Agency that starts with an "N" and ends with an "A." I use a hybrid that combines a couple of different models. Was just inputting the latest update and running a couple differenct scenerios through the model. Should have results in a few...

Posted by: Firedude | January 25, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

North and west..south and east....

What about south and west? fredricksburg..stafford..dumfreis..woodbridge??? what are we looking at?

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@lisajulia, patience young grasshoppa. Don't rush genius or he'll cancel the snow.

Posted by: kmill67 | January 25, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

wait 3 sec
wait 3 sec
wait 3 sec
wait 3 sec
wait 3 sec

Posted by: Bious | January 25, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

When I enter my home location (Lorton) into the model its pinpoint forecast is showing accumulations of 2" of wet snow into Thursday morning. When I input my agency address into model, (NW DC) it shows a pinpoint forecast of 2.25".

Posted by: Firedude | January 25, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

TWC just called for 4-8 for DC..im glad they got on board finnaly

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@Bradfinwoodbridge

You are not really west you are just south......2-5 inches with some rain enjoy....

Posted by: inthemiddle2 | January 25, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

no work

Posted by: maestrojmk | January 25, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Forecasts like "4-8" always bug me. While I understand the uncertainty, there should be some kind of meteorological code of honor that the upper range can't be double the lower range, perhaps with an exception for 1-2 and 2-4.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 25, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@Firedude - please bring your sanity to this blog. I am hearing the same talk from the same folks who went gaga over the last two non - "snow events".

Posted by: AlfromAlexandria | January 25, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the forecasts and comments. This is one blog I read daily and enjoy the commentary as much. & yes I would like a good snowstorm this winter!

Posted by: mmsq | January 25, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

im pretty close to mannasas..right down the parkway..My zip is a woodbridge zip for some reason.

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 25, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Snowfall will be 3-12 inches or less with temps in the 20's or higher.

Posted by: snowbucks | January 25, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

WS Watch up for entire DC metro area now

Posted by: jshaffer54 | January 25, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I just got my WSW.

Posted by: mscofield1 | January 25, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Um, this is what I just found on NWS for 20002 (Capitol Hill)...not promising:

This Afternoon: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. Light south wind.

Tonight: A slight chance of rain between 9pm and midnight, then a chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday: Rain and snow, becoming all rain after noon. High near 37. North wind between 8 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 9pm. Low around 29. North wind between 11 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Posted by: PerfectlyCromulent64 | January 25, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@PerfectlyCromulent64 --- Noooooooo. I am a long time lurker but I just couldn't stand it anymore. What have we done to the snow gods to make them so angry with us snow lovers. I just need to get up and open my window, brew my pot of jo, and take it all in. Why of why?

Posted by: gmcash3yahoocom | January 25, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Interestingly, the normally "big blizzard is on its way" guys at Accuweather are only calling for maybe 1-3 inches for D.C./Baltimore. I just don't have a good feeling about this one.

Posted by: jdtdc | January 25, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Ummm - are they ever gonna update this?????

Posted by: snowbucks | January 25, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I lived in Boston in 1978 and they predicted 6-12"; then, they changed the prediction to 12" - 18" and off to the store we went. NET RESULT: 48" and plowing/rescue by the National Guard who took our snow away to the beach...So much for predictions but it was amazing!

Posted by: carolineC1 | January 25, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse