The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:40 PM ET, 01/27/2011

And the awards for 'Best Snow Comments' go to...

By Ann Posegate

Tree branches down last night in snow-covered D.C. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

For the past few years, I've compiled the 'best of' comments from the first major snowstorms of the season for the D.C. area (see posts from March 2009 and Snowmageddon 2010). Every year, the range of emotions exhibited here on Capital Weather Gang never cease to amaze me. You guys crack us up ... and keep us going. CWG fan GtownG said it best in his comment yesterday:

"The fact that we can use technology to report the weather as it happens by us, the everyday person, with the reaction and color that only we can provide and then having the professionals (like the CWG gang) comment on our observations is really what characterizes a successful blog."

Thanks! We couldn't 'weather' these storms without you. You've expressed yourselves candidly. You've voiced your concerns and questions. And hopefully, you've learned more about the world of weather. Thank you again for your participation. Here's a sampling of your snow comments - there were more than 2,000 posted on the blog yesterday! - that stood out during this winter's first major snowstorm.

And snow it begins ...

Keep reading for the 'best of' snow comments from our blog and Twitter pages. Think we're forgetting one? Post your favorites in a comment below.

Most skeptical:

Soo basically, it could rain or snow and we have no clue how much precipitation we could get. Sounds like a pretty good forecast to me! (sarcasm)
Posted by: SNOWLUVER | January 23, 2011 2:17 PM

I predict ABSOLUTELY NO SNOW WHATSOEVER. Sigh. We all saw this coming, though. After all, this IS the winter of 2010-2011, isn't it?
Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 23, 2011 5:33 PM

Good forecasting going on here at CWG (and it's much appreciated) as usual, but the snow skeptic in me won't believe it until I *see* the flakes piling up this time this afternoon. Been burned way too many times by the weather in these parts ...
Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 25, 2011 5:43 PM

Biggest Snoptimist:

Snowlovers out there - RELAX!! Take a deep breath. And you've gotta' believe. The models are flip-floppin' all over the place from run-to-run. Ye of little faith! That 'perfect track' will happen, you bet it will, and we will all be celebrating in the blizzard conditions that the DC area will encounter Tues night and Wednesday. You heard it here first!
Posted by: johnnierat | January 22, 2011 8:03 PM

Most excited/emotional:

BRING ON THE WHITE STUFF MOTHER NATURE!!! WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS DAY!!!
Posted by: SNOWLUVER | January 24, 2011 4:18 PM

**Hallelujah!!** **Hallelujah!!**
Posted by: southbridgemom | January 26, 2011 4:30 PM

!!!!! oh boy oh boy oh by oh boy !!!!
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 24, 2011 3:56 PM

The past 72 hours have been such a ride of emotion ~ WOW! ... I haven't been this excited for snow in about 30 years! (Didn't know I still had that inner child so close to the surface, and thank you for that too!) ...
Posted by: GiveIn | January 25, 2011 10:52 PM

Most Zen:

I love snow. It forces us to calm down, slow down, sip the cocoa, read a book, and take it a little easier for a day. Stress kills more Americans each year than snow, so I'm always grateful, especially in this area, when we're all forced to respect nature's power, appreciate its beauty, and take a day or two to just BE.
Posted by: celt1 | January 24, 2011 7:47 PM

Best intuition:

This is nothing more than a hunch, but I think some cold air will wrap back into the storm. There are no upper air measurements over the Atlantic AFAIK. The surface measurements (buoys) will show the usual warmth from the water, but the arctic air that is currently heading out to sea will still be up above a few thousand feet and the models won't know about it. That will get pulled back toward us by the big storm to our south and produce wet snow on Wednesday rather than rain. It will be warm enough at the surface to have trouble sticking, but that won't be a problem once it gets heavy enough.
Posted by: eric654 | January 24, 2011 8:13 AM

Most likely to have a hangover:

Beer has begun to changeover into mixed drinks. Pajamas holding steady for the moment.
Posted by: bboyneko1 | January 26, 2011 3:01 PM

Best analogies:

What stinks about winter in DC is that she over performs when it doesn't count, like now, and under performs when it does, like this Wednesday...She's like an athlete who plays like a superstar in practice put can't score on game day!
Posted by: kolya02 | January 24, 2011 8:34 AM

Mother Nature is such a drama queen this winter. The last month has been like a Lady Gaga show. A little flash, and then a dash to NYC and Boston.
Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 24, 2011 12:35 PM

hcwoodward
@capitalweather Thundersnow is the narwhal of weather. I am getting really excited.

Most poetic:

When does it start?
Snow or rain?
How much?
When does it end?
Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 23, 2011 7:22 PM

A ThunderThump haiku:
It's finally snow!
Ready for some thunder snow!
No work tomorrow?
Posted by: Myndiera | January 26, 2011 3:55 PM

joliveri
by the window watching the winter storm steal in. my snowy heart adores these moments...track storm @capitalweather

Most lyrical:

So we're watching, and we're waiting, clickin refresh buttons anticapatin... It might start as rain but then dump snow and go away, ayyy. We're keeping our ears peeled for the sound of thunder-snow. If it doesn't start soon then to Charlettsvill I go! Is it still raining, should I go get more food? So we're watching, and we're waiting, watching, and waiting, waiting, waiting.
Thats my very sad song.
Posted by: benzachr | January 26, 2011 1:50 PM

Best memory:

While we await for the next turkey (or snow goose), anyone recall the last time we had a good snow during the State of Union address?
Last one I remember was Jan. 20, 1978, the beginning of a one/two whallop that wasted central NJ-->Boston. We officially had about 6" in DC (and of course more elsewhere) and it was definitely snowing during Jimmy Carter's SOTU speech.
Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 23, 2011 2:48 PM

I've seen a storm setup like this once before. Right before the Blizzard of '47. Two days prior weathermen were calling for mostly rain and a little snow mix. Then it hit. Big time. Be afraid, everyone, be afraid. But mostly be warned. As for me, I'm headed towards the grocery store for about a week's worth of food, and then the hardware store.
Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 24, 2011 2:32 PM

Please don't.

I hate to bring up the National Airport issue again ...
Posted by: rocotten | January 24, 2011 8:26 AM

Most likely to start an online dating site for weather fans:

snowluver I luv you can we get married! YAY FOR ALL SNOW IN NOVA!!!!!!!!
Posted by: teebyrd86 | January 23, 2011 2:35 PM

@teebyrd86
I would love to marry you! Lets get married Wednesday in the 10 inches of SNOW!!!
Posted by: SNOWLUVER | January 23, 2011 3:22 PM

Least likely to be heartbroken:

clynn886 Charity
If @capitalweather is wrong about us getting a real snowstorm tomorrow night, I'm gonna be heartbroken.

Most dramatic:

ratykay
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE RT @capitalweather Snowfall rates for this evening's commute may be extreme- travel potentially hazardous, crippling.

Most Gnarly, Bro:

muffiy831
@capitalweather You're totally bumming me out, dudes. Words like 'extreme' and 'hazardous' are not welcome in my weather forecast.

Most likely to write a New Farmer's Almanac:

Well, I'll tell you what I do when the models don't agree and the meteorologists can't afford to make guesses: I watch the local wildlife.
They can predict earthquakes and tsunamis--why not snow or ice or rain?
Clue #1: The deer in western Loudoun were out in force this morning, far more than usual, as they were before our ice showers last week.
Clue #2: I saw several flocks of geese flying straight east today.
My guess, based on these facts: Snow in the western areas, rain in the eastern areas, as a few other fellow amateurs here have predicted.
Posted by: celt1 | January 24, 2011 10:51 AM

Best tongue-in-cheek:

i've installed a webcam so you can follow my reaction(s) to forecasts/snow throughout the day:
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 26, 2011 11:22 AM

I digress.

A punch, huh?
How about "Below the Belt(way)"? ...
Posted by: Groff | January 26, 2011 12:16 PM

Speaking of...

Will the snow affect my pants?
Posted by: spdawson1 | January 25, 2011 9:53 AM

Why thank you. We try.

isitdinneryet
That's some sexy wording, @capitalweather: "But a major, potentially remarkable thump of snow is coming later today."

Best suggested storm name:

This might be "Thumpty Dumpty"
Posted by: dvorak9 | January 26, 2011 12:27 PM

From #snowpocalypse to #snowmageddon to...wait for it...#snowthump @capitalweather http://j.mp/fLUr9p

MicheleWalk
Thundersnowpocalypse! http://wapo.st/fMGDZY (@capitalweather) #everyonepanic

Best new words:

I have snenvy ....
Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | January 26, 2011 4:45 PM

Will we see a Snownado???
Posted by: Langway4Eva | January 26, 2011 1:52 PM

Sort of flurrying with the drizzle here in the Gaithersburg Airpark.
I'd say it's snizzling!
Posted by: wadejg | January 26, 2011 1:58 PM

Most likely to become a salesman:

ATTENTION DIRECTV PEOPLE!
My satellite reception is out, too -- the first time that's happened in ages -- BUT! You can get DirecTV to send you an AM21 Off Air Tuner that picks up the local channels off of the air. They gave it to me for free. It plugs into your existing DVR and once you scan the channels, you get not only the primary WRC et al feeds, but also their alternate feeds, including the awesome real time Doppler on WUSA (channel 9-3).
Posted by: Georgetwoner | January 26, 2011 7:39 PM

Most likely to patent new technology:

so, this just got me thinking... i know certain salts lower the melting point of water (i.e., snow) so as to prevent it from accumulating. so.... theoretically... is there any substance i could put on my driveway/sidewalk to encourage accumulation...?
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 25, 2011 8:29 AM

Most likely to be hungry:

Ate grouper in the Bahamas last week. Delicious! It was breaded (grouper fingers)
and delicious with some tartar sauce and a side of fries. But that was a week and a half ago.
Posted by: BH99 | January 24, 2011 8:22 PM

Earliest onset of cabin fever:

It is snowing so hard that the snowflakes have now turned into little mini Sue Palka heads...
Posted by: SA-Town | January 26, 2011 5:58 PM

Ouch.

cpfuchs
you're more shameless than breathless Fla TV weathermen in hurricane season "@washingtonpost @capitalweather http://wapo.st/hO2rrc"

Aw, thanks!

CWG you guys rock. Best weather source I know of. You guys let us know what you know and that's the way it should be ... I understand explaining this stuff to a regular everyday person is like teaching a foreign language. Keep up the good work and lets hope this new trend keeps rollin!
Posted by: MVPlaya8120 | January 25, 2011 12:38 AM

I gotta tell you I've been checking out this "Capital Weather Gang" for several weeks now and they seem to be spot on. This is the way ALL weather media should present the weather. Must say this seems to be the best thing since Doppler radar.
Posted by: rikkirat | January 26, 2011 2:15 PM

jellomania jellomania
I LOVE @capitalweather because of their awesome, detailed forecasts! "Odds increasing for heavy, wet snow late Wed." - http://wapo.st/eMbxcv

Cutest:

I got the wine, a frozen pizza and my snuggie.
Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | January 26, 2011 1:22 PM

True, very true.

You know it's gonna be bad when Jim Cantore is covering it. :)
Posted by: MVPlaya8120 | January 26, 2011 1:57 PM

timlyden Timothy Lyden
@dcsportsbog I thought Blog fans comments were crazy, but nobody touches friskyness of @capitalweather readers comments. Quite snarky

Now you're making us jealous:

Still sunny here in Lihue, Kauai. No sign of snow yet.
Posted by: wanker16 | January 26, 2011 4:41 PM

Best advice:

Please don't drink & sled. Dangerous. You need all your wits about you when hurtling down a steep icy slope on a scrap of plastic or some wooden slats.
Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 26, 2011 5:24 PM

The best tip I remember from last winter is to oil your snow shovel - it makes such a difference when the heavy wet snow slides right off with every load rather than sticking to the shovel ...
Posted by: Etta- | January 26, 2011 5:43 PM

Kindest

Just chucked a stinkin stinkbug right into this mess! Horray!
Posted by: worldtraveler83 | January 26, 2011 3:02 PM

Best squirrel update (there were many):

A squirrel! On my 7th floor balcony!
Posted by: 3seasons | January 26, 2011 3:09 PM

Good question.

WHY DOES THE WEATHER SERVICE TYPE IN ALL-CAPS?
Posted by: blablabla | January 26, 2011 3:06 PM

Most analytical:

Slightly off topic (but about the author of this post): Every time I read the name [Jason] Samenow, all I see is S(ame)now. Ame is french for soul, and that word is stuck in the middle of snow. Cool!
Posted by: casa_wasabi | January 26, 2011 1:59 PM

Little did they know ...

I'm officially off the snow wagon (and am putting the milk back on the shelf at Giant). This "storm" has all the earmarks of being a dud. Maybe February will be kinder to snow lovers.
Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 26, 2011 8:57 AM

My hunch is we probably won't get much if any snow from this latest "storm" either ... It's NOT gonna snow tomorrow!
Posted by: montana123 | January 25, 2011 3:11 PM

Most reflective:

I have to say, I miss the mystery and anticipation of the unknown ... Nigh four decades ago when I was a kid, weather forecasting was not nearly so accurate ... Back then, if a snowfall happened to make it into the forecast, one really never knew what to expect ... Now, we demand to know exact depths, hour by hour, and even the consistency of the snow, days ahead of the storm. If it does not come to pass as predicted, we feel ripped off and demand an accounting of where our snow went ... I do miss the unknowing anticipation and the rare joy of finding a white world no one expected.
Posted by: OsnowO | January 26, 2011 8:47 AM

Best connection made:

Another Houstonian?!?! Wow, we should start a "Houstonians Snow-Lover Club"!
Here's who we have so far:
BobMiller2
holly6
serenefallschurch
Is anyone else here from Houston?
Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 25, 2011 8:27 PM

I'm from Houston as well!
Posted by: agunn3 | January 25, 2011 8:32 PM

Your secret's safe with us.

map408psu
Is it wrong I'm more interested in the @capitalweather live blog breaking down tonight's forecast models than I am in #SOTU? #Dcweather

Anytime.

tiredkate
isn't quite sure what it is about snow that makes her a weather junkie. Thank you @capitalweather for fixing her up!

chrisduckworth
@capitalweather - I love it when you say "thundersnow." Thank you.

Umm ... yes.

loveisblonde loveisblonde
Hey @capitalweather peeps, should I reschedule my Wednesday night flight to DCA? :)

raphiesaid raphaele l
@capitalweather ~ I am doing snow dance !!!!!!!!!!! Is it helping ?????? :-)

Umm ... no.

Other than the CWG, anyone on this blog getting any work done?
Posted by: djm-01 | January 26, 2011 4:20 PM

Shucks (*blushing*):

CarolineSheedy Caroline Sheedy
I think @capitalweather is so cute.

We'll have to get back to you on this one...

candacearm candacearm
i think i need a tutorial on how @capitalweather works. #confused

@CWG, you forgot one question. Will the Wizards ever win a road game this season?
Posted by: RJ16 | January 25, 2011 6:05 PM

What does the mayan calander call for today?
Posted by: mscofield1 | January 26, 2011 2:39 PM

Thanks again, everyone!

By Ann Posegate  | January 27, 2011; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Humor, Latest, Posegate, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Recap: Snow, thunder put on a memorable show
Next: PM Update: Overnight freeze, then light snow

Comments

That wasnt a snowstorm, that was a terrorist attack from Mother Nature.....

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks so much for putting this together! I was hoping you would!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I liked the reproachful goldfish. (My goldfish always look at me with reproach; they take issue with my irrational refusal to empty an ENTIRE jar of fish food into the tank.)

Posted by: Groff | January 27, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I know there is anti-nickname sentiment here but even the great knickerbocker storm against which all are measured has a nickname. It's a way to help us remember a storm besides just a date, which is just numbers. Because of the massive traffic jam caused by this one, maybe one of the worst ever, I think this one should be nicknamed "Snow Jam". That's an easy way for people to recall when you bring it up in the future and they go "ohhhhhhhhh right, that one where it took me 13 hours to get home, a snow jam indeed".

Posted by: rwalker66 | January 27, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

This is my favorite:
------------------------------------------
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 26, 2011 11:22 AM

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Do I get credit for witnessing thundersnow if I only saw the whole sky strobe light flashes but heard no thunder?

There was a number of those in Centreville VA between 6:00 - 8:00PM last night.
When I came inside & checked the blog posting the were multiple postings on local t-snow in that timeframe.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy nicknames and I believe Snoptimist was stolen from me :)

Posted by: parksndc | January 27, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone heard from Walter today?

Posted by: wiredog | January 27, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic. We need these kinds of post-mortem posts before the real post-mortem. Walter was definitely using his snow-attractor last night...My 10 inches in the LoCo bootheel have compacted to about 6 or 7 already. This is the heaviest and wettest snow Ive seen in my 20 years in DC. BTW, once Wes and Ian jump aboard, the ship is safe...and they did so 24 hours ahead of the tv mets and LWX. Very, very well done.

Posted by: DullesARC | January 27, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Floyd's comment re: Lady Gaga made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the retrospective, CWG!

Posted by: serenefallschurch | January 27, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

haha those are great. CWG you guys are the best.

Posted by: tivelp | January 27, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I have every confidence that Walter is working on another flaky labor of love at this very moment.
What's my prize? ;-)

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

CWG and all the commenters kept me sane last night as I pondered traffic maps and the whitening world outside my office window. Finally made a break for it at midnight and it still took nearly 2 hours to get home, but that was far better than sitting in traffic all night! Thanks for keeping me company last night, CWG!

Posted by: jaradel | January 27, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

OMG are we being evaluated?I'll have to try harder next time.

Posted by: mikeyva44 | January 27, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for making me chuckle. Threw another stinkin stink bug out in a giant snow pile this morning. I figured he/she would enjoy the weather with all the others I've thrown out. Maybe they are sledding or having a stink ball fight,. (cabin fever?)

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | January 27, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaradel | January 27, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice! Had two comments that made the list. See you guys in a couple days covering next week's potential threat!

Posted by: MVPlaya8120 | January 27, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

lol best post ever. the thundersnow and these hilarious comments have been the highlight of an otherwise dreary, downer month (i.e. January). Thanks, CWG, for keeping us all informed (and entertained - particularly if you're a snow lover like me).

Posted by: meteorolinguist | January 27, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

CWG made yesterday that much more fun. Informative AND entertaining.

I wonder how the squirrels are holding up...

Posted by: BusyMom1 | January 27, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all your great forecasting on this (and others) storm. You guys nailed it. I feel sorry for those that listened to other sources and got stuck in horrid commutes home...someone seriously needs to clue them in to you guys.

I spent the entire day yesterday snowcrastinating and am paying the price today...but at least the power, my cell service and now my satellite are all back on :)

Posted by: mudbucket | January 27, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I definitely vote for dvorak9's "Thumpty Dumpty"!

Posted by: dottie_b | January 27, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

OK CWG, that was fun!... sing with me "ain't no stopping us noooooooooooow"...

what's the deal for the next couple of snow threats? This weekend and Tuesday (I think the forecast hinted at)...

Posted by: Pat_E | January 27, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Funniest comments on Tuesday in anticipation of the storm by fellow snowlovers/weather junkies Deakor, mscofield1, and ennepe68:

=======================
Thanks Wes regarding t-snow.

With words like "convective parameterization scheme" you can just take me on the kitchen table.

Posted by: ennepe68 | January 25, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

===========
@Camden
What's the fun in being calm and rational? I've already abandoned my car in anticipation.
;-)

Posted by: Deakor | January 25, 2011 10:51 AM
=============
I'm also wondering weather to tell the kids that we could get 12 inches at max? What are you guys gonna tell them? Posted by: benzachr

"What are you guys gonna tell them?"

Do their homework and leave me alone I need to hit refresh. I might teach the 2 year old which one is refresh in case my refresh finger fails.

Posted by: mscofield1 | January 25, 2011 11:18 AM |

Posted by: jnypny | January 27, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The squirrell comments were hilarious, and the Lady Gaga one cracked me up too!

@Groff, today the goldfish is giving me the stank eye. Honestly, I don't know what I did for him to have such a problem with me.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 27, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm still partial to "Gridlocalypse" as the name for this storm. Pronounced "Grid-LOCK-a-lipse". Like that.

Posted by: lowrieses | January 27, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Walter....are ya out there creating a masterpiece? Post pix please. I have a pile in my driveway about 5 feet high, self serve only.

Posted by: tbva | January 27, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

All fcps schools will be closed Friday, January 28th. It's not online, for some reason, but it is on red bulletin channel 21.

Posted by: SnowDreamer | January 27, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@lowrises, you get triple credit. Grid-lock-lips. Who knows how much of that was going on with the traffic slowdowns.

Posted by: tbva | January 27, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Best songs ever right here! I torture the kids with them soo much!

Posted by: benzachr | January 27, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Just FYI, Bob Ryan and Doug Hill are hosting a live chat on TBD.com right now:

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

hi guys... lost power about 18 hours ago. kinda takes some of the fun out of it. nonetheless we went on a great walk. cooked breakfast on our camping equipment. just now got power back.very pretty. very very heavy snow. i'm calling it 6" here!

can't talk. very busy. might have something tonight.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 27, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree the goldfish comment should have won an award. That one made me laugh the hardest.

Posted by: bboyneko1 | January 27, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Q14. Why are NWS text products typed in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

A14. It is not because we want to scream at you! This practice goes back many, many years and relates to international requirements for message dissemination. Some of our international partners still use low-tech dissemination technology which requires the continued use of ALL CAPS. Since the U.S. is an international member of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), we follow those guidelines that still exist for the benefit of all nations. That is why TAFs, AIREPs, Marine Forecasts, etc. are typed in ALL CAPS.

Posted by: oriolesfan2323 | January 27, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Seriously...Frodo had an easier time getting the ring to Mordor, then I did getting home last night...

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

s(NO)w hole

Posted by: arcdfire | January 27, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Regarding next week's storm, Doug Hill just said on his live chat:

"I think the GFS shows a storm for next week. It will probably change several times before then BUT given the storm track history this month, we will have to be alert to the possibility that it could be a more significant system.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Best Intuition" eric654 is one of the few screen names I look for when I'm scrolling rapidly through hundreds of posts. It's good to know CWG thinks he's worth reading.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | January 27, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

This made the nerd inside of me laugh out loud. Just saying.

Posted by: HokieTerp | January 27, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Fun! This was the first time that I followed a storm with you guys all the way through, and I learned lots and laughed too.

I have to share my newbie geek goofiness! How not to measure snow! I thought I would be sooo clever and I zip-tied a wooden yardstick to the railing on my deck so I could "measure" the snow accumulations by just looking out the backdoor. Yeh, I didn't really have a clue that wouldn't work. I have not been around snow very much! The blowing wet snow stuck right on the ruler and I couldn't see a thing. Later it fell off in a big blob and made a mound under it. Oh well, it was fun anyway. A weather goof...

Posted by: holly6 | January 27, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Walter, sorry to hear about no power. So I have a question, is the sculpting taking longer because you can't use your power tools?

Thanks for the vote of confidence CWG and tinkerbelle, but I must say those posts are speculative. I tried to look for my hypothesized arctic air pocket in the IAD sounding around 5k feet or so on Wed, but alas there was none to back up my theory. It's possible that there was some influence but I can't prove it.

Posted by: eric654 | January 27, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Love the analysis!

Now a weather question-what's on tap for tomorrow that FCPS is choosing to be closed yet another day (when the kids will be off next Monday & Tuesday for end-of-quarter teacher workdays anyway)?

Posted by: kirom | January 27, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

And now round three (or is it four) of this cruel cruel storm. Giant snow bombs falling from the trees

Posted by: labs4m3 | January 27, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

First squirrels and now RATS? Uh oh

Posted by: BusyMom1 | January 26, 2011 2:59 PM
-------------------------------------------------
This, along with all the other squirrel comments really cracked me up!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

BobMiller2 - You're welcome. Glad to know these posts are anticipated.

Groff, Snowlover2, bboyneko1 - I agree. I thought about including a goldfish comment but couldn't think of a catchy category/title. Most paranoid? Most fishy? Lol. Got any other ideas?

rwalker66 - Good one! Certainly appropriate.

FIREDRAGON47 - Definitely.

meteorolinguist - Thanks! These are fun posts to put together. And obviously extremely entertaining in an otherwise dreary month.

jnypny - Those are hilarious! Somehow I missed them -- thanks for posting.

walter - Good luck!

oriolesfan2323 - Thanks for the explanation.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Couple of mins back I saw this new post, which is no longer available???
Posted at 3:25 PM ET, 01/27/2011
PM Update: Some more flakes tomorrow?
By Ian Livingston

Who stole the post?LOL

Posted by: BlackHill | January 27, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If there is one thing I have learned from my first full snow trip with CWG, it is if you want to know the truth, come to CWG. You went out on a limb when others played it safe. I rather be told it will be 10 inches and it turns out to be a dusting than be told it will just be rain and get plummeted while trying to make it home!

Posted by: luvhh1 | January 27, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Can we please get a schoolcast in your next post?

Posted by: skinsfan214 | January 27, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

National Towing Company Day. :-)

Posted by: saraestewart | January 27, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Bob Miller

Saw that ABC 7 chat. Looks like they're following suit with CWG. I think it was Doug Hill that brought up the idea of a confidence index for future events. Wonder where they got that idea from? CWG thank you guys for leading the way!

Posted by: MVPlaya8120 | January 27, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to all of you for the EXCELLENT forecasting of yesterday's snowstorm. There should be absolutly no complaints for anyone. The timing of the various precipitation type was well forecast as was the very unusual possibility of thunder. Again, everyone should be very proud of this difficult forecast situation.

Ernest Paroczay

Posted by: ErnoParoczay | January 27, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to all of you for the EXCELLENT forecasting of yesterday's snowstorm. There should be absolutly no complaints from anyone. The timing of the various precipitation types was well forecast as was the very unusual possibility of thunder. Again, everyone should be very proud of this difficult forecast situation.

Ernest Paroczay

Posted by: ErnoParoczay | January 27, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention I too had a stinkbug in the house for the first time in at least 2 months. Another omen of stormitude.

But seriously, there's scientific evidence that animals CAN predict weather:

Anyhow, as a followup: The day after posting that, I saw geese go south. A few hours later, I read on the CWG site that the rain in the east was now supposed to be snow instead, but areas southeast of D.C. would have rain.

It's not magic, it's that animals have physical sensitivities we don't develop in our sedentary, indoor lives, or simply never evolved in the first place :-)

Posted by: celt1 | January 27, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

No squirrels were harmed in the making of this post.

The stinkbugs however . . .

Posted by: DelMarVaStormTracker | January 27, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

celt1 - great info.

Thanks again, everyone!

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse

CWG folks......On ABC7 Weather segment tonight Doug Hill mentioned the possibility of a big storm next Tuesday night/Wednesday time period. CBS Evening New and ABC World News Tonight mentioned the same potential storm for the same time frame. Could you guys give your preliminary take on the storm for that time period. Could it be a stronger storm that what we experienced yesterday evening? Thanks

Posted by: Novalife49 | January 27, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I really love the snow (not so much the commute in it, of course), but I think I may love the CWG blog even more.

Posted by: runnergirl03 | January 27, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

The comments a couple of days about the two dudes suggesting marriage and then realizing it wasn't legal (in Virginia?) was fun. Amazing CWG traffic, 2,000 comments in one day. Double the Snowmaggedon comments. Congrats! Now on to next Tues-Wed...

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 27, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Gosh you guys, you make me blush... :)
My first 'best of'!! I'm speechless...

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 27, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Heard a lot of "face saving" by a lot of the local mets this morning. Definitely underestimated by most of them. I think next Tues/Wed will outperform yesterday's "Snarlmaggedon"

Posted by: Kairos123 | January 27, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the recognition. I certainly didn't get much work down.

Posted by: djm-01 | January 27, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@Kairos123

That would be so rad.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 28, 2011 12:45 AM | Report abuse

ErnoParoczay, Hi Ernie, I thought of you and Vern prior to this storm. This was a big win for the models. I'm not sure in the old days, such a forecast could have been made. The only problem with the storm as I lost power for 30 hours and couldn't blog during it and right after it.

Posted by: wjunker | January 28, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back online, Wes. By the way, excellent job keeping us updated before the storm hit!

Posted by: RedCherokee | January 28, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse