The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:25 PM ET, 01/29/2011

Another midweek storm to track

By Dan Stillman

With one midweek storm in our rearview mirror, another may loom up ahead. This one may end up more wet than wintry. But it's too early to say that for sure, and some snow and/or ice are possible, especially during the storm's early-to-middle stages and especially the further north and west you go.

In terms of timing, a bit of moisture out ahead of the main storm could bring light snow or a light wintry mix Monday night or Tuesday with limited accumulation potential. Steadier, heavier precipitation likely arrives Tuesday night and Wednesday, which is when the question of precipiation type becomes more important and also more challenging to answer.

Keep reading for a model discussion...

MODEL DISCUSSION

After the chance of light snow or a wintry mix Monday night and Tuesday out ahead of the main storm, both the GFS and European models bring a more significant area of precipitation and gradual warming to the area Tuesday night and Wednesday as low pressure passes to the west.

Yesterday, the GFS was showing a colder start and slower warming (both aloft and at the surface) than the Euro, suggesting a snow-to-ice scenario. But last night and this morning the GFS has trended toward the Euro, which has been showing a warmer start and faster warming, suggesting more of an ice-to-rain, or possibly even primarily rain, scenario. The higher-resolution NAM model, which currently has maps available out to Tuesday night, also hints at a warmer solution.

GFS forecasts from this morning's 12Z (7 a.m.) run. The blue line that progresses across the D.C. area from southeast to northwest is an approximation of the surface freezing line. Graphic provided by Wes Junker.

Yesterday's colder runs of the GFS had high pressure to the north in a positiion conducive to cold air damming - with winds from the northeast, circulating clockwise around the high, wedging the cold surface air against the Appalachians - while and after the precipitation moves in. It was also forecasting development of a secondary surface low off the Delmarva coast, which would also help to pull down colder air from the north. Today, the GFS has mostly lost both the coastal low and the cold air damming.

Here's the latest take from our winter weather expert, Wes Junker:

The pattern showing up on the models for next week looks much more like a typical weather pattern associated with a La Nina. Arctic air plunging into the Northern Plains, a storm track aimed towards the Ohio Valley and a ridge building over the southeast are all typical of a Nina.
All the models are now forecasting a major snowstorm for parts of the Midwest from Missouri northeastward into Michigan. The pattern is not very favorable for getting a significant snowstorm into our region with the storm towards the middle of next week. We need the cold air to get more firmly entrenched before we have potential for a significant snowstorm.
The 12Z gfs is a little colder than the nam or last night's European model and suggests the precipitation might start the precipitation as brief period of snow before changing to freezing rain and ultimately rain but even it now has a more rainy than icy look for most of us during the majority of the storm. However, the valleys north and west of the cities still have ice potential as low level cold air is often more tenacious than forecast on the models.
Therefore, while I think the odds are higher that the bulk of this storm will be more wet than snowy or icy, this early in the game, it's still too early to say for sure. Tomorrow, I'll make a more detailed analysis of the storm.

With more than three days to go before the brunt of this potential storm would arrive, there's of course still time for the track to shift east a bit, which would increase the chances of wintry precipitation. So stay tuned for forecast updates and Wes's analysis tomorrow.

By Dan Stillman  | January 29, 2011; 3:25 PM ET
Categories:  Latest, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A snowstorm montage from January 26-27, 2011
Next: Forecast: A pretty pleasant Sunday

Comments

First......Glad to here this storm may be mostly a rain event.

Posted by: Novalife49 | January 29, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

As pretty as ice can make things, from a practical standpoint I would much rather have rain than ice! What does this all mean for Bombo's Tuesday night dance?? (it is Tuesday, right?)

This winter though, this far out, I don't think there is much point at staring at the models. (Other than that it is your job to do so!)

Posted by: megamuphen | January 29, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Too early to start hysteria & hyperventilation, but I'll lay in another extra stash of chocolate for the week.
I'm thinking prepare for at least a few hours of icy gridlock. And there are still a few upright trees to be felled left in our neighborhoods.
At least I don't have to whine any longer about how dry it is. The big wet thump took care of that problem for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 29, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

FCPS was off W/R/F of last week, and Teacher Workdays on M and T of next week. If this turns to a snow event T evening, our alcohol consumption will be increasing dramatically.

Posted by: joemktg1 | January 29, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's all hope the models magically flip and give us a snowstorm. I'd rather be buried under 2 feet of snow than get an ice storm.

You non-snow lovers can have all the snow you want in the spring. Winter is for snow; not rain. You could consider moving to the amazon...lots of rain and no snow. Or maybe the village of Mawsynram. It is a town in India and it is reportedly the rainiest place on earth. 467.4 inches per year. Then again, there's always Saudi Arabia...temps consistently above 100°!!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 29, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Novalife49 - a little present JUST for you...

Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 29, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Aw, I thought Mt. Waialeale was the rainiest place on earth! (on Kauai)

Posted by: megamuphen | January 29, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, in the post above, I accidentally said, You non-snow lovers can have all the snow you want in the spring. I MEANT TO SAY, You non-snow lovers can have all the rain you want in the spring.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 29, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking it's going to be wintry because my birds are going nuts at my feeders - way more than last week.

Posted by: duhneese | January 29, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Boo ice! More snow would be cool, but sounds like ugly mixing ice instead will wash away our sledding snow.

Posted by: biketraveller22 | January 29, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Though I'm indifferent to the whole snow vs. rain discussion in winter (we are in a moisture deficit right now, so I truly DON'T care what form it comes in), but has it occurred to you, @BobMiller2, that there are plenty of folks that live in this area and across the country who do not necessarily associate winter with snow, and who grow tired of your blithe recommendations to move somewhere warmer?

Let me paraphrase YOUR comment from last evening: "It's really a shame that some people [on previous threads] have been using the comment section as a way to attack others...99% of the people who post on here always follow the guidelines, but there are a select few who post demeaning and downright rude comments whenever someone else's opinion doesn't perfectly match theirs."

Really? Aaaannd, you don't think your suggested travelogues describing warmer/wetter climes don't grate on the nerves of those folks whose opinion don't perfectly match yours on this particular subject?

Here's a recommendation for you: Why don't YOU consider moving to Valdez, Alaska, the supposedly snowiest city in America (http://bit.ly/ghCy8l) and then you could be in frozen nirvana? Only trouble for some of us forced to read past your happy, peppy diatribes peppered with "Yay's!" and "Yippee's!" is that you MIGHT still have internet connectivity up there...

Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 29, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Getting a little sunshine here before another long cold night.
YAY!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 29, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Going by past storms this winter and other winters look for the cold air to keep it ice longer than it's forecast to be, especially in the northern and western suburbs. Remember what happened the last ice storm: ice was supposed to change to rain before morning rush hour, when in reality rain never came and the temps never climbed above freezing until 12:30pm in some places. Cold air has a way of hanging around (getting dammed up) in the northern and western suburbs.

Posted by: rwalker66 | January 29, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I see NWS has wednesday as 70% rain now, the gfs did show a warm storm. Only ? is what to make of the 2 storm idea all the models now agree on.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 29, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Even after last week's adventure, I can still like snow... But my ONE WEEK of vacation in sunny Caribbean warmth starts Wednesday night... So I am definitely in the rain camp for this one and am rooting for ever-more-westward development of this system! Sorry, no snow dance this time. Bring on the rain!

Posted by: dr-mary | January 29, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Y'all play nice.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 29, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Since i was on the short end of the last 'storm' i would be very happy to welcome some snow this coming week! As long as we are properly prepared, sledding and hanging with my family make the snow days pretty special. Freezing rain, on the other hand is a menace to everyone! I would rather 2ft of snow than freezing rain.

Posted by: lisajulia | January 29, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Bobmiller the 2nd. So that being said, Winter = Snow for EVERYONE in the US. EVERYONE. So snap out of it and join us.

Posted by: RJ16 | January 29, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@ToBeBlunt

Thanks for the reccomendation. But I'm perfectly happy residing right here in Northern Virginia.

Besides, whats so bad about moving to Mawsynram, India? I'm sure you could find some delicious authentic Indian cuisine there! ;-)

Hooray for snow!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 29, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ megamuphen...There is no Tuesday night dance this week...the Clarendon Ballroom cancelled it and the attendant swing dance classes for some sort of "private event"...so I was sort of hoping for a "Snowmageddon" this Tuesday evening! Dances and dance classes resume on Tuesday, Feb. 8 on a weekly basis.

What IS happening is a dance at the Elks Lodge tomorrow evening from 6 until 10 PM. This dance was supposed to have been last night; it was cancelled and rescheduled to Sunday the 30th. Apparently the parking lot at the Elks Lodge was still too icy yesterday...and the little clipper system didn't help too much. Fortunately the weather tomorrow evening looks fine.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 29, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with ToBeBlunt...I read this blog because it's the most thorough and accurate source of weather information, and I learn a lot from the scientific discussions. The giddy cheerleading for snow and basically rooting for people to suffer and be inconvenienced is a huge turn off. I don't root for weather one way or the other, I just need to know what it is so I can plan accordingly. Oh, and by the way, even though summer heat kills more people, no one is on here chirping like an under medicated third-grader about how great it is that the heat index is 115 degrees. End of rant. To the Post, how about a "block commenter" feature? Then everybody on all sides can be happy.

Posted by: Efren3 | January 29, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

People want different things in weather. Me, I love snow and shoveled my drive plus sidewalks of three neighbors (1/3 acre lots so not terribly short). Just love being out in it. I have proper tires (snow tires) and FWD or AWD. Even no power (had that last Feb) is an adventure in using the fireplace, candles, and creative cooking (grill, etc). Admit the cold shower, less fun. :-) But that's just me. I would hate a hurricane and then the outages and being warm, but others would think that was cool. To each his own. The weather is what it is. Be happy or sad about it, but we shouldn't bash each other for our reactions to the weather. I'm new here, but it seems like that is picking up.

Posted by: biketraveller22 | January 29, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that the weather doesn't look to interfere with dancing much next week, at least! Even rain isn't good, right? People get lazy about going out in the rain?

Posted by: megamuphen | January 29, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Tuesday's graphic changed to a snow and ice mix. (I know that the NWS graphics are not the best weather tools, but its a great visual!)

Posted by: megamuphen | January 29, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

We seem to have a pattern of storms moving gradually west this winter.

Posted by: DJMDJM | January 29, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Mon. is the best chance 2 fish next week. Don't mind fishing in the snow but wind, sleet & ice yuck.
Tue.-Wed. looks like the dreaded snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain scenerio for this area that we all know & love. Headed to Central Pa. Fri. 4 Super Bowl Sun, so no snow on Fri.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 29, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Commenters can be blocked by us, yes; however, so far everyone is abiding by the rules by maintaining respect and not using profanity. We try to monitor. Hate blocking and deleting--but we don't do that as long as there is civil discourse. We are all allowed to express our opinions on here, even if they conflict.

As always, let us know if you have any questions. I like answering questions about the weather ;) And listening to your local weather observations! Speaking of which.. who saw any snow today? I didn't see any flakes downtown in DC.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 29, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

an ice storm?! really?! that's no fun for anybody. can you weather historians think of occasions when we were promised ice/sleet etc... but got snow instead?

what has to happen in terms of storm track or cold air damming or whatever for this to hit us as snow?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 29, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not one for alot of "conflict" and I will put it out there that I am a snow LOVER not HATER. That being said, I think it's so ridiculous to think that people who get excited about the possibility of snow are actually wishing misfortune on others! I seriously doubt anyone on here is thinking "oh yes, please snow...and do it RIGHT at rush hour so as many people as possible have their days (and nights??) ruined!!! I hope the power goes out, trees fall on people's cars, and everyone slips on ice!" uhhh hello? maybe we just like snow and think it's pretty. Sorry if your commute sucks (on a sunny day for that matter). I guess we could complain the same about people that hate on snow. As far as BobMiller2 goes, I like him and like what he has to say. If I'm in a rush I skip over the fluffy stuff and go right to the facts. If you can't skip over the comments you don't want to read, don't read a BLOG! or don't read the comment section anyways. Ok, done....will begin wearing jammies inside out and doing my snow dance tonight, a few extra nights of it will only help our chances....

Posted by: elizabethk611 | January 29, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

A few flakes in Baltimore today, plus I saw some snow. :-)

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | January 29, 2011 6:49 PM | Report abuse

We had snow today - Light volume of medium sized flakes/blobs about 1:00 - driving from Urbana to Monrovia. Didn't even need our wipers.

Posted by: monroviawthr | January 29, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2 @elizabethk611
we're on the same wavelength
something about snow just makes me happy and warm inside. in addition to pjs inside out and a snow dance don't forget your white crayon in the freezer and ice cubes in the toilet. Let it Snow!

Posted by: thinksnow | January 29, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't notice any snow here in Laurel. LOOKED like it was going to, but didn't see any flakes.

In other news, a bird seems to have plucked the berry-eyes out of my snowman!

Posted by: megamuphen | January 29, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

@Camden-CapitalWeatherGang

We had a short period (30 minutes or so) of flurries here in Sterling. Have your thoughts on the storm changed at all since this was posted?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 29, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

We had very light flurries on and off over several hours here in northern AA County. Not enough even for a dusting.

Posted by: allagar | January 29, 2011 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I saw only the tiniest hint of a flurry when I was in the parking lot of an Aspen Hill grocery store around 2:00 this afternoon. A stranger asked me "Is it snowing?" We spent a moment trying to decide...

Posted by: skidge | January 29, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

@Camden, we saw flurries driving from Olney to NoVa around 1pm today.

I like some of the NWS At A Glance graphics. Snow balls, white lollipops, cloud fangs . . . . it's interesting to see each time I check the blog.

Posted by: kirom | January 29, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

What is the amount of precip we are expecting from this event?

Posted by: aaf314 | January 29, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I am thinking (hoping) a slight eastward shift is not at all out of the question. Did last week's storm shift east from earlier forcasts?

Posted by: Kairos123 | January 29, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Camden - No flurries in Centreville.
Very little sun; not much melting.
Heard a lot of chainsawing noise in the neighborhood.
It's wise to get that all cleared away before the next weather disaster.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 29, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@megamuphen: I'm in Laural (sorta, it's actually Scaggsville - the HoCo part of Laurel). We saw light flurries for several hours this afternoon. No accumulation at all.

Posted by: biketraveller22 | January 29, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Partly cloudy and low 40s tomorrow.

Get ready for a lot of melting (and re-freezing).

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 29, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

CWG is sort of like a small indie band that grew to mainstream success. In the old days of capitalweather.com, there was always great weather discussion and a lot of knowledgeable insight (not that there isn't now, it was just the norm for the message board). However, with new fame comes new fans and we are forced to sit through everybody using the ridiculous @ and "first." To me the message board (not specifically here) has ruined online media, because everybody says things they wouldn't normally say in person. I can honestly tell you BobMiller2 and ToBeBlunt, it's the hackneyed back and forth’s between people like you that have turned me off from reading the message boards on here, and it's a shame because it's where you get the majority of the updates and good forecast talk. You have to sift through the bs, fortunately the CWG writes in bold so I can just go to that and read from there.

If the majority of people who post silly crap would take the time to read what was really being said in a weather sense, and took the time to learn about the maps and terminology, you also wouldn't have to ask "if I have a flight in June at 9am on the 6th, will it be cancelled?"

Posted by: TheMot | January 29, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I love this blog and besides CWG; I love Bob! he gives me hope about the snow, love his comments, spirit, and he gives good info as well!

Posted by: 882181 | January 29, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

TheMot,

I started reading CWG in December, 2002- pretty sure that was the date. Definitely the following winter, 2003. Posters always used 'first' back then. As for @NAME, that is widely accepted usage on internet forums.

But I get what you are saying. I'm particularly tired of the snow hate/snow love debate.

The blog belongs to everyone, however, and I just skip comments I don't want to read.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 29, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

TheMot

Well said and I agree totally with your comments.
BOLD PRINT is where it's at.

Posted by: bodyiq | January 29, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, those dates are wrong- must have been after 2004, because I was in a different place then... I swear, I can't remember anything theses days- but the point is, 'first' was used way back when

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 29, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind a cold, soaking rain. That might be a blessing - melting all this white concrete sticking to both evergreen and deciduous plants and trees.

However, the last thing this area needs is a major ice storm, which would cause additional damage to area landscaping, which is already weakened by last week's storm. The reality is that this area could use a major infusion of moisture into the soil, which has been desiccated by dry, cold winter weather since before Christmas, and has also featured windy conditions which have exacerbated the dryness.

I'm a snow lover, but this winter does not appear to be very accommodating. Cold, soaking rains have always been a normal occurrence in the DC area, and it is probably time for such an event. I'm all for a major rain system with about an inch of precipitation, and a warming trend to loosen the soil to allow it to soak in.

Our plants would benefit from it this spring.

Posted by: MillPond2 | January 29, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Some history... I started CapitalWeather.com in early 2003 (maybe even 2002-I can't remember), but it was initially just a set of links and I would post discussions for big storms. One of my friends from graduate school also contributed occasionally in that first year.

The group blog itself (with about 5 contributors) was launched in winter 2004 and the archive is available at capitalweather.blogspot.com . We were absorbed by the Washington Post in January 2008.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 29, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Since we have seen so many different forecast models this winter can we be certain that even though the models seem to agree on a wetter scenario that we won't be blindsided onTues/Wed? I also want to add that last weeks storm finally made me pack a winter survival kit in the car as well as leaving a small bag in the office with more sensible clothes for winter. I doubt my shoe guy in London can do much to fix a pair of handmade shoes that have trudged 1.5 miles in the snow. Same with my suit guy in Italy. From now on it's off the rack on snow days!

Posted by: Bobmiller3 | January 29, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

@aaf314

It's hard to speculate about amounts this early. But the way it looks now, the amount of frozen precip (snow and/or ice) looks to be light and liquid precip (rain) - moderate to heavy.

@kairos123

We would need a radical shift east for next week's storm to be a snowstorm- whereas last week we just needed a slight shift. I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope if you're rooting for snow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 29, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@Bobmiller3

I got caught without my "go kit" last week, never dreaming how bad the traffic conditions would be -- thereby keeping the night shift from arriving on time, and us from going home, and having to spend the night at work. Never again!!

Posted by: natsncats | January 29, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

enough already! please please rain! My kids need to get back to school (and Ffx County is off Mon/Tues!)

Posted by: mchristinaw | January 29, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Axel2 | January 29, 2011 11:15 PM | Report abuse

As I'm sure (or at least hope!) The Gang knows, there are so many of us out here who are just soaking up the info, loving your professionalism, and really not caring about the personal/bloggish-commentish stuff (yes I just invented those words) that appears in these comments. (And as a 50 year-old who was born in DC and has lived in this area ever since, I just so love to see the weather history here...as well as to watch these new-fangeled media evolve!)

Posted by: skidge | January 29, 2011 11:22 PM | Report abuse

The latest GFS would indicate an intermittent light mix late Monday into late Tuesday- with milder temps and rain on Wed. However, I wouldn't be surprised if cold air is stubborn to erode Wed meaning iciness might last longer than the models indicate.

In the longer range, may have to watch a coastal system in Fri/Sat timeframe.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 29, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, PLEASE, let's not have more snow so soon. Rain, rain, rain and *no* ice, please, o Weather Gods. I couldn't take another run of cold nights in a dark apartment with no hot water or way to cook anything...and neither could the cats.

Posted by: angelicat | January 29, 2011 11:44 PM | Report abuse

@CWG
So cold now. Can't believe models shifting so much to west for the low. Then again I couldn't believe the changeover on the last storm. That was amazing!!!
No ice. Please.

Posted by: moo1 | January 29, 2011 11:54 PM | Report abuse

@Jason-CapitalWeatherGang: What form of precipitation do you think the coastal storm will take this weekend? I'm giving up hope for snow to be a significant part of Wednesdays main event.

I love snow and I think sleet is pretty cool for about 5 seconds before it becomes ultra-hazardous, but I'm very anti-rain during the winter. I moved up here from Florida, so I'm sick of rainy winters and I'll be rooting for snow. Heck, I'm rooting for an El Nino to develop in time for next winter so that hopefully I can enjoy an encore of what I (apparently) missed last season.

Posted by: Zenith2 | January 30, 2011 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I was giddy about last week's snowstorm too, but just like no one predicted the Spanish Inquisition, no one could have predicted that a storm that dumped a moderate amount of snow (compared to last winter) would have closed schools for three days and tied up traffic for over 12 hours. As much as I enjoy a good snowstorm, I do prefer if they hit after the evening rush, so that the road crews have time to work on the roads before morning. Getting out of school was fun as a kid, but it's putting a serious dent in my PTO that I really can't afford. So I'll hope for snow to happen, but at a more convenient time of day. ;)

Posted by: jaradel | January 30, 2011 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Alright, @BobMiller2 - you had me at "authentic Indian cuisine." Those magical words take the fight and discourse right out of me, and turn me into the equivalent of a teenage girl at a Justin Bieber concert. Good LORD, that sounds good right now. (The Indian food, NOT the Biebs concert.)

That said, I almost wish next week's storm would just go out to sea - all of this back and forth drama on the models is killing me. Sure don't want ice. Plus, my kids NEED to go back to school - FfxCo has teacher workdays on Mon & Tues, and if they have a delay or cancellation on Wednesday because of whatever incoming slop is on the way, they may be in school until NEXT Labor Day...

Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 30, 2011 12:42 AM | Report abuse

For me, the CWG comment board is kinda like the office water cooler where we all meet to talk about the weather. And just like in an office, it takes all kinds.

I like hearing from the snow lovers and snow haters. What I don't like is the name calling and personal attacks. If you don't want to read it, skip over it for heaven's sake. Would you have us tell Walter not to post his sculptures anymore? I hope not.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 30, 2011 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree re: the comments. This is a great board sans the the clueless who come on here asking if their kids will have school. That is so lazy and drives me nuts, this is not the place for that.

Posted by: davis_renee | January 30, 2011 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work CWG, I'm a fan of both snow lovers and snow haters. TO TOBEBLUNT and EFREN3: NO ONE SAYS YOU HAVE TO READ EVERY POST--YOU CAN GET YOUR NEWS AND GET OUT--SHEESH, GOOFBALLS!

Posted by: sng1 | January 30, 2011 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Blunt - take it easy - direct your anger at Obama! Hopefully repubs will pass a bill that makes snow illegal because it costs too much to plow! LMAO I suggest you buy some skis and enjoy the weather!

Posted by: DontGetIt | January 30, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DontGetIt | January 30, 2011 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Arguing about the weather always reminds me of the old guys on the bench outside the county courthouse - passes the time, but not to be taken too serious. On the other hand, I do check the CWG as one of a few places where folks with training and actual models discuss in more detail what actually makes it into the public forecast.
As a long time serious fisherman, weather can be an important factor distinguishing a good day on the water, from one where your safety is an issue. As for the snow, no snow - I like four distinct seasons and for me snow defines winter rather than just the cold. FWIW, ice storms are the worst - not as pretty as snow, often much worse at bringing down the power grid, and the driving is really dangerous.

Posted by: Flyover_Country | January 30, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"PLEASE let this next storm be all rain! My wife is due to give birth in the next few days and would really like to make it to hospital :)"

But Axel, don't you understand it's far more important that Bob and Elizabeth get their snow because it's "pretty," and ThinkSnow can wear PJs and feel warm inside.

Everything else is trivial.

Posted by: mhardy1 | January 30, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

All things being equal, snow is good.

It's good for farmers. Rain will run off quickly, but snow melt penetrates the ground. Plus, snow is "poor man's fertilizer", and it keeps your plants dormant until they are ready to emerge in the spring.

That being said, a snowfall of 4 inches or so at any one time is adequate.

Posted by: MichelleKinPA | January 30, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Snow lovers seem to be an immature bunch, don't they? Snow is a big hassle but they'd realize that if they had grown up.

Posted by: fakedude2 | January 30, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

When last week's storm was first forecast as a biggie, some posters immediately responded with, "We all know nothing will happen." Didn't hear from them afterwards. Yes, forecats can be wrong. But they're still accurate more than they were a few years ago.

Posted by: Sutter | January 30, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"The only thing we have to feah --is another lousy forecast by the Weather Gang!"

Posted by: kinkysr | January 30, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Excuse my ignorance but What is GFS? Geological Forcast __________?

Ice is the big equalizer when it comes to SUVs and 4WD. I hate ice more than snow. Snow, at least you can get SOME traction.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | January 30, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Pepco and BGE customers are praying for a mostly rain event. Ice is more devastating to urban forestry and power lines than sleet and dense snow. Moreover, ice contributes to more automobile fatalities than does snow. It is next to impossible to "prepare" for an ice storm. If one looses power what good is stocking up on grocery items? Who wants to walk about in the dark, and cold?

On this storm, we should hope for rain. What is "pretty" is more "dangerous".

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 31, 2011 6:24 AM | Report abuse

This article was written Saturday afternoon and is still being posted as the latest, breaking news. You guys can do better.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 31, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I hope we get 2 feet of snow. It's exactly what this city needs.

Posted by: dcp26851 | January 31, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope we get 2 feet of snow. It's exactly what this city needs.

Posted by: dcp26851 | January 31, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Our roads here in the 20906 area of Montgomery county still have tree limbs on them from the last storm. Any more downed limbs and it will be impossible for us to get in and out of our neighborhood. Five days and counting since the last storm, and no tree trucks in sight.

Posted by: samsara15 | January 31, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BobMiller2
__________________________________________
I'm all on board with you BobMiller2. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Anything but ice!!!

Posted by: seaduck2001 | January 31, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm with BobMiller2. To heck with this ice crap. Just dump a bunch of snow. I'll take any amount of snow over ice.

Posted by: ksu499 | January 31, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse