The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:35 PM ET, 01/26/2011

Exhale - it's over; refreezing possible overnight

By Jason Samenow
What a remarkable, volatile day weatherwise. Mercifully though, the thundersnow, the thundersleet, the rain, the hail, and the lightning are all over. The winter storm warnings have been discontinued.

Overnight, skies should gradually clear, but that may allow the sloppy snow to refreeze, especially in the colder suburbs. Overnight lows are 25-31 (suburbs to city). Be very careful in the morning. Tomorrow, it's partly sunny but windy and cold with highs in the mid-30s.

Briefly reflecting on what happened today...

Commuters who got stuck for hours in today's heavy, icy snow will long remember it not to mention the hundreds of thousands who lost power and for whom it may take a while for it to be restored.

Many are no doubt fuming about the city's lack of preparedness and the Federal government's failure to get people home before all of the stormy chaos. The fine writers for Post Local will be no doubt be taking a critical look at these issues over the next several days.

From a forecasting perspective, I feel pretty good about this and actually think this was one of Capital Weather Gang's best efforts. We pretty much got it right and had it right since Monday. We did have to make one minor adjustment to increase amounts modestly earlier today, but I think we were very clear in recognizing and communicating the potential hazards of this afternoon and evening's incredible snow "thump." This was a team effort - so kudos to all of the CWG contributors but especially Wes Junker, our winter weather expert, and Ian Livingston - who helped me anchor our coverage.

We'll have a lot more post-storm coverage tomorrow and Friday. But for now, good night and thanks for all of your comments, feedback and engagement during this storm...

By Jason Samenow  | January 26, 2011; 11:35 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High impact snowstorm slowly winding down
Next: Forecast: Snow long gone but windy

Comments

Do you think the U. of Md. will at least have a delay??

Posted by: BH99 | January 26, 2011 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Nice job today - recommend changing posting to state "hundreds of thousands" instead of "tens of thousands"

Posted by: shackleton | January 26, 2011 11:44 PM | Report abuse

surprised to still see a temp of 36. When should temperatures drop to freezing? Well after midnight? 300+ posts earlier..feel like I'm the only one here now!!

Posted by: BH99 | January 26, 2011 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought you guys were crazy. You called the storm days ago when everyone else -- including Weather.com -- weren't saying anything about snow.

You nailed the time, the accumulation, and every aspect of how the storm unfolded.

Thank you! From now on, I promise I will get all of my forecasts from local meteorologists.

Posted by: JM12 | January 26, 2011 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your hard work. I planned my travel today around your forecast and am comfortably home tonight because of it.

Posted by: Buffalogrrl | January 26, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Bravo gentlemen! Job well done and much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

I hope OPM considers the wide geographic area rather than just DC proper when figuring out tomorrow. It is a severe mess outside the city from the reports on CWG.

Posted by: TheU | January 26, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

You guys nailed this one. If only it had been nailed sooner. Like, a week ago.
Big storm. Lots of damage. Lots of p*ssed off commuters & anxious family members. Lots of people in the dark & cold. Ain't winter great.
I wonder what Walter's making?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 26, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Attention looney tunes:
OPM did exactly what they were supposed to do... most of the work day was totally fine today... just rain. The 2 hour early dismissal was announced early in the day and federal employees had ample time to get out of respective offices. Additionally, each employee makes his/her own base schedule, with many working a regular workday that ends by 4 or 5 or even earlier in some cases. Most of my office was totally empty by 3:00PM. Folks who chose to stay until 4 or 5 and then leave have noone to blame but themselves. OPM does not control the weather or the traffic and today's storm was quite an anomaly as far as the burst of heavy precipitation and speed from totally fine to unpassable conditions... again, not OPM's fault. Pick another scapegoat.

Posted by: snowhole | January 26, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse

CWG-
Great job. Like it was scripted. I really feel bad for the people stuck out there. OPM should really take the hit here. And not to name anyone but the tv mets were incredibly irresponsible.

Posted by: Bobmiller3 | January 26, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice job CWG - you guys did your part to try to get people to take this storm seriously. Unfortunately, i think the NWS reducing the storm watch to a winter weather advisory really gave people a false sense of security. Regardless, OPM really blew it. I live in Adams Morgan and just took the dog for a (long, happy) walk. The snow is extremely packed and is melting very quickly. There should be no problem getting to work tomorrow for people in the district, but that's likely no solace to those just now getting home in far exurbia.

Posted by: fatherhennepin | January 26, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

You want to stay safe, stick with CWG. You'll be one stop ahead of the others.

If OPM had given a 3 hour early release I think it would have made a world of difference. Also, keep in mind that not all managers (Federal or Private Sector) give a hoot about employees. It's not that easy to get an additional hour of leave for some folks, even if they have the leave to use.

An unscheduled leave/telework day would have also helped.

But hindsight is always 20/20, and all we can hope at this point is that 'the big cahunas' in charge will LEARN from the problems others had today.

Good night all!

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 26, 2011 11:55 PM | Report abuse

@BH99

If we busted one thing about this storm is that we were a little too low on the temps. It didn't ended up mattering in most spots because the precip rates made up for it. I thought we'd drop below freezing tonight but this storm had so little cold air to work with.

We're going to need it to clear out to drop much tonight, but I think we should that should happen eventually as northwesterly flow whips up behind the storm drying us out.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 26, 2011 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to all the police, firefighters and rescue crews out tonight still dealing with downed trees, power lines, fires and accidents. This will be a long night after a very long day. Fairfax scanner radio gives you another glimpse of the storm and the poeple we don't appreciate nearly enough. Thanks.

Posted by: Rjmw | January 26, 2011 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Amazing job on this one, CWG. You guys nailed it. Just got back in from shoveling and helping late arriving neighbors get their cars into their spots. It's a mess. That is some seriously heavy snow!

Posted by: Chip_M | January 27, 2011 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey snow hole....no you idiot if OPM did it right they would have gotten all federals out in time...
They did not...if most people who left at 3spent 5 plus hours in traffic things were WRONG!!!
Stop protecting their failures....

Posted by: SkinsForever22044 | January 27, 2011 12:03 AM | Report abuse

@Rjmw - Agreed. Thanks to all those working through this mess tonight and tomorrow. And that includes the Capital Weather Gang. ;)

Posted by: bluegreensardine | January 27, 2011 12:04 AM | Report abuse

6 to 8 inches out here. CWG did an awesome job predicting! Glad to report, we have weathered the whole thing awesomely.

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 27, 2011 12:06 AM | Report abuse

OPM can't force anyone to do anything, including leave at a reasonable time. Individuals needed to use commone sense and leave early, as they were provided said opportunity. I'm sick of reading all of the whining... a bunch of crap.

Posted by: snowhole | January 27, 2011 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Btw CWG ROCKS!!!!!

Posted by: SkinsForever22044 | January 27, 2011 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Will be interesting to see how quickly Dulles recovers tomorrow....United has cancelled at least one LHR (London Heathrow) to IAD flight scheduled to land at 3:22pm.

Posted by: TheU | January 27, 2011 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I look forward to the review of this storm. In particular, what exactly happened between Wed & late last week when a significant snowstorm was considered the long shot among a choice of outcomes.
It was supposed to be too warm. Apparently in a few places it was. But most people got thumped.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I have to give big ups to the Capital Weather Gan crew. You guys did a fantastic job and I believe you guys deserve a round of cold ones. I've been following this blog since the 2009 winter storms and you guys saved me big time today. I used your forecasts to plan my exit from VA into MD and I was able to hit the sweet spot in terms if the commute. Cheers guys!

Posted by: IvantheTerrible | January 27, 2011 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Let me add my sincere thanks and congrats. I don't mess around once the Gang says "jump." Cut and pasted several bits to a friend who, for whatever reason, delayed leaving DC until after 3pm and is still, last I heard at 10pm, stuck somewhere on Route 50 before Fairfax. Not even remotely close to home. I don't even know what to say.

I'm not an alarmist. Years ago, I got caught in a similar mess from Annandale to Chantilly - long before we had such incredible access to good, solid information. I vowed I'd never go through that again if I could help it. It's times like these that I totally give in to selfishness and my own personal comfort - I leave early, I get home, and stay home. It's served me well ever since, and the guidance from CWG over the past several years has been invaluable in my calculations. Sometimes being a classic control freak has its upside. I had the day off for other reasons but when I got up at 7am and checked the old CWG, I knew I'd have stayed home today anyhow. A real no-brainer.

Posted by: bobosnow | January 27, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I am due to fly back tomorrow at about 3.20 on United from mexico and am worried it'll be cancelled. Any educated guesses on if they can get the runways open in time for the afternoon?

Posted by: britinva | January 27, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Snow hole, you seem to be taking it way to personal...no one can force anything....BUT...They could of had people leave prior to the storm as a precaution..

Posted by: SkinsForever22044 | January 27, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Trusted CWG's call all the way.

Many at the office in DC did not see this coming. This tells you people in this area are weary of false snow hypes. Got on a Loudoun county bus at 4pm and did not get to Dulles until 8pm. For a long while it was stand still on the Dulles Toll Road. By 10pm was told 38 of the 40 Loudoun county buses still are on the road! No bus service Thursday - drivers need their rest.

My deck measured 7-8 inches.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | January 27, 2011 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Really sweet storm for a snow lover. First time I was awake for or actually noticed thundersnow. Let's do it again soon (minus the headaches of course).

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Snowhole, go to bed. You're obviously tired and grouchy (to say the least).

CWG did a yeoman's job today (and for the past several days) in providing their expertise that probably saved a lot of lives. Others pointed out problems they saw and experienced.

I for one was NOT whining, and stating my opinion. If you have a problem with it--oh well.

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 27, 2011 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Gotta say, awesome predicting. Right on the money. 6-8 inches (New Baltimore). Great job!

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 27, 2011 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I normally disagree with OPM a lot, but not this time. I think they were fantastic in giving employees a 2 hour grace period early to get home. Whether you took that seriously or not is not their problem. OPM can only do so much...Federal Workers are adults...not some students in a county school system. I was able to leave at 2:30pm. I waited a little longer to pick up my wife in Tysons. It took about 40-mins...maybe 15-20 mins than usual. But, if I had left at 2:30PM...no problem. I sent my staff home at 2:30pm and they all got home on-time. And let's be honest people, if it rains here...traffic crawls. If this were Spring...would you blame OPM??? NOW...I have my feelings on tomorrow as well. As I see it...no way should the fed gov't open. And if they open...I'll be on your side. But be grateful...OPM gave you 2 hours of paid leave to get home early. If you were scared to ask your manager for a simple signature for more time than that...than blame your him/her - not OPM.

Posted by: schrute | January 27, 2011 12:18 AM | Report abuse

hey Jason. Thanks for the response. Yeah...the temps were a bust, but no one seems to notice that too much! As for precip, amounts were as predicted yesterday (3-6 in and around town 4-8 N and W). Good job!

Posted by: BH99 | January 27, 2011 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Just got in from shoveling/pushing cars up rt.29 in Centreville... That road is a mess. Heading towards Fairfax it is a sheet of solid ice and heading towards 66 it is a nice ice/slush/snow and stranded car mix. Quite an event.

Posted by: fitzcarraldo | January 26, 2011 11:36 PM | Report abuse
*************************************

Where in Centreville? I walked from my home to the 7-11 at 29 & Stringfellow with my roommates, and we stopped on the way home to push people through that intersection. For every car we pushed, two more got stuck :) We must have been there two hours and pushed at least 50 cars. What a night! 29 south was still gridlocked up until an hour or so ago. We got a $20 tip, which got us an 18-pack of Corona at the 7-11. I know what I'm doing the rest of the night...

Posted by: thepostischeap | January 27, 2011 12:24 AM | Report abuse

@thepostischeap,

I must have helped about 10 stranded motorists along Colesville road and I didn't get any damn tips. lol

I was just happy to see people get on their way. I've been stuck in the snow before and I know how lousy that feels.

Posted by: IvantheTerrible | January 27, 2011 12:27 AM | Report abuse

15 minute, 5.25 mile, bus ride in VA along rt 50 became 2.7 miles in just over 2.5 hours. Ended up walking the last 2.5 miles along RT 50 in Falls Church/Fairfax in 54 minutes.
Didn't have to help anyone since nobody was moving going west and the road east had no cars.

Posted by: MadiganT | January 27, 2011 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame OPM but I do blame the TV mets. Especially bemused by Fox 5, which continued to downplay the storm and then gab us wide-eyed saturation coverage once it blew up. I watched it from the comfort of my home, forewarned and forearmed by CWG.

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | January 27, 2011 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadiganT | January 27, 2011 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame OPM but I do blame the TV mets. Especially bemused by Fox 5, which continued to downplay the storm even today and then gave us wide-eyed saturation coverage once it blew up. I watched it from the comfort of my home, forewarned and forearmed by CWG.

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | January 27, 2011 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Ullr finally shined down on metro DC with a big snowstorm. Great storm for snow lovers. For snow haters...pitchers and catchers report in a few weeks.

Posted by: TheU | January 27, 2011 12:44 AM | Report abuse

For what its worth, at 12:50 am the traffic on Toll Road (267) eastbound from my balcony at Spring Hill is STILL bumper to bumper. I wish more had listened to CWG when they warned about the onset during the evening rush.

Posted by: alcw1 | January 27, 2011 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I went out for a pleasant walk around my neighborhood at around 10:45 here in Burke, VA, and boy,it looked like a severe thunderstorm came through. There were numerous medium to large branches down everywhere. I even saw a medium-sized tree split down the middle. The main roads looked good, but the side streets and sidewalks were still covered and needed some plowing/shoveling. I talked with a man who had just arrived home after leaving his work at 8. He tried to get home on side streets, but they were impassible. So, he had to take I-95, which was crawling at a snail's pace according to him. He got stuck on the little hill leading up to his driveway, which was only a few feet away. When I got there, he had just finished shoveling the snow in front of his car. He was then finally able to drive his vehicle up to his home. I took some pretty good pictures of the damage I encountered. I think this storm may be worse than the ones we got last year in terms of the damage it did to the trees and all of the power outages. While I was out there, transformers were blowing all around me, with blue flashes followed by booms. My neighbor thought it was lightning, despite the partly cloudy skies. The street lamps in my neighborhood periodically went out, but always came back on a few seconds later. The neighborhood across from mine had no electricity. Thank you Mother Nature for sparing my neck of the woods! I could also hear trees creaking as their limbs snapped in the wind. If only 7 1/2" of heavy, wet snow can do this, then I can't imagine what is happening in the areas that got a over a foot of this. Shudder. Despite all of this, I still love snowstorms. : )

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 27, 2011 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Nice call on the timing. I normally work later and don't like to leave right when fed workers are dismissed, but your "don't be on the road after 4" advice sounded serious, so I left at 3:30 and was most of the way home before the road got slippery.On my section of the beltway the sleet turned to snow at ~3:50. Thanks to your advice accuracy, I got in the maximum time at work and still got home without problems!

Posted by: luna17 | January 27, 2011 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Finally done plowing and salting now home! Where I live hasnt been touched. Hope all the snow lovers out there had fun in traffic! From seeing a truck go into a ditch to seeing a car try to drive on a sidewalk, id venture to say it was a pretty fun night tonight!

Still dont understand why adults get siced for this stuff, but i know one thing for sure, there was some adults tonight suffering in traffic, broke down, stuck, etc.

Funniest part of the night, watching a minivan try to go up a hill. And when I rolled down my window to tell her to back down the hill and i will pass by and plow.salt it, she gave me the finger! She may not have heard what i said granted, but there was this huge plow on the truck that shouldve gave her the hint. I backed up and turned around wasnt gonna risk goin head on in oncoming traffic with people coming down the opposite side of the hill.

95% of all people should never drive in the snow.period.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 27, 2011 1:10 AM | Report abuse

BTW, this wet snow is my favorite kind of snow to plow, so easy to push! Doesnt take much salt afterwards either!

Posted by: KRUZ | January 27, 2011 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | January 27, 2011 1:20 AM | Report abuse

I'd say you all pretty much knocked this one outta the park. Cheers. *raises glass to CWG*

Posted by: SpeedLimit186000 | January 27, 2011 1:27 AM | Report abuse

A friend left Rockville at 3:00p, she's still not home (Damascus). She has a 4x4 but that doesn't do a lot of good when the cars around you aren't moving. Her husband got caught in the Leesburg Route 7 mess -- he's still over there somewhere taking a nap at a gas station.

Her daughter-in-law is 8 months pregnant, driving alone with a non-functioning cell phone. No one has been in touch with her for seven hours.

I love snow and was pleased to get a storm but am terribly sorry for all the people suffering in this horrendous gridlock. And we'll probably hear stories of others not in traffic who had 911 situations arise and emergency responders also got stuck in traffic.

Good luck to everyone still struggling to get home. Best wishes and kindest regards to all the good samaritans, emergency responders, road crews and power company personnel working hard in this disastrous situation. I'm very grateful to be home with my heating pad and an already shoveled sidewalk.

Posted by: Gidgmom | January 27, 2011 1:35 AM | Report abuse

CWG, you are the only source for accurate weather in the area. Absolutely amazing job on predicting this storm -- kudos to all of you!!! You rock my world

Posted by: jnypny | January 27, 2011 1:37 AM | Report abuse

CWG - You're my heroes! When I got up this morning, I saw the snow on the ground, just as you predicted - so I knew it would rain and then thump. So, I worked from home today and saved myself the horrible experience that so many had. You guys were spot on when everyone else was acting like nothing was coming. Thank you!

Posted by: nichoftime | January 27, 2011 1:55 AM | Report abuse

I think it was some brilliant forecasting. I was telling everyone I knew about the "storm" and no one believed me. Boy were they in for a surprise. I ended up leaving town a day early for a road trip I had planned because of your precise forecasting. My original plans would have had me leaving work during the beginning of the heavy snowfall -- it took my coworkers 6-7 hours to commute home. That's how long it takes me to get to my destination. Lucky for me I left early and only got a little rain as I got into Tennessee.

As long as I live in the DC metro area, I will swear by the CWG. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: jbrickey | January 27, 2011 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to see how slow snowhole/schrute is at logging in/out of his accounts to be arrogant, indignant, and just a jerk because of the horrible job he and others at OPM did today.

Posted by: TheJoeGreene | January 27, 2011 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Took me 7 hours to get home today THANKS A LOT

Posted by: jiji1 | January 27, 2011 2:08 AM | Report abuse

thanks for your awesome forecasting and reporting. I hope Post reporters will be stressing that much of the evening rush misery could have been avoided by telework, something many bosses continue to resist, even in situations like this where it's clear that an impending storm will create havoc. I pointed out to my husband that he could have worked a full day and avoided spending five hours commuting (instead of his usual two and a half or so), if only his workplace was more open to telecommuting (which he is totally set up to do). And to the poster complaining that those who were stuck in the mess should have left earlier, many workplaces follow the federal government and don't allow leeway beyond that. So if you work until six, you were at the office until four with no choice to leave earlier.

Posted by: Restonmom | January 27, 2011 2:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope you guys receive wide local, regional and national recognition for the incredible job you've done over the last few days, and the genuine public service you provide to DC and beyond. Take a bow!

And get ready for lots more 400+ comment posts - you'll be getting a lot more popular, and some of us will be able to say "we knew them when..."

Posted by: matthew_lawlor | January 27, 2011 2:20 AM | Report abuse

@RedCherokee

thx for posting that! I hope all those stranded motorists were snow lovers! they wanted it, they got it!!!!

Posted by: KRUZ | January 27, 2011 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Even though I now live out of state, I still follow CWG. I started last year during Snowpocalypse and Snowmaggedon and haven't stopped. For any weather geek, they are a joy. Always looking at stuff from many angles, weeding through the info with an enviable precision. You guys kick a**.The problem is that folks in DC suffer from Groupthink and don't search for info, rather they just do as they are told. Also, even living in this post 9/11 digital age, workplaces are too lame to institute telecommuting on a REGULAR basis, i.e. part of their business plan. It's pathetic.

Posted by: davis_renee | January 27, 2011 2:38 AM | Report abuse

There's a slight problem with your snow reporting map. When you zoom in, instead of resizing the location markers and spacing them out, it grows the markers, too, so that you get a big mess and can't see the individual locations.

Posted by: adiseker | January 27, 2011 2:52 AM | Report abuse

@adiseker

Good point. I noticed the same thing and asked our tech guru to see what he can do.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 3:14 AM | Report abuse

2 Hrs Delay Arrival for Fed this AM

Posted by: santanaf | January 27, 2011 4:06 AM | Report abuse

If anyone is still up, or starting their day...how are the roads? Hospital worker here and have to make my way from Alexandria to Fairfax Hos.
We are still without power as it seems a lot of people are. Husband is gov't and 2 hrs early is 12:30 for him, but had told him to leave anyway bc of reading CWG.
Thanks guys!!!

Posted by: motherrunner | January 27, 2011 4:25 AM | Report abuse

CWG - I'll add my thanks to the tons of others who heeded your advice. I left at 3pm and barely avoided the carnage. If I had to do it again, I would have taken 90 mins of leave and left work earlier. I hope many area residents learn the same lesson and, IF ABLE, opt to leave a bit earlier so the roads are clearer for those who can't and the plows.

Posted by: LRaydellMundo | January 27, 2011 4:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LRaydellMundo | January 27, 2011 4:59 AM | Report abuse

Friend of mine just got home from work. He got off at 9:30 last night! He started to go home ( he works at the capitol)and saw how bad things were and went back to work, slept a few hours and then went home. He says the roads are mostly clear of undrivable snow but there are HUNDREDS of abandoned cars all over the place. Many in the middle of the roads. Without an early rush hour it may be okay to travel without too much trouble, at least close into the beltway south of town.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | January 27, 2011 5:00 AM | Report abuse

Took a long time to post my other one....we do actually have power! Whoo!

Posted by: motherrunner | January 27, 2011 5:02 AM | Report abuse

Everthing is frozen and lost power and OPM wants 2 hour delay? Are you kidding?

Posted by: paulnolan97 | January 27, 2011 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Metrorail is still running "normally". That's a big factor in OPM's decisionmaking.

Posted by: ajfroggie | January 27, 2011 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I just want to say thank you! Once again CWG nailed it, and that means I was prepared. I would have been on the roads at 6pm otherwise; instead I was able to cancel my afterwork appointments and was safely at home.

I remember Jason posting "once you see the first snowflakes, it will get bad fast" and that was certainly true out here in Fairfax City.

Posted by: waltraud82 | January 27, 2011 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I live near two major arteries in mclean.
Both were gridlocked for 5 hours last night.
I felt so sorry for those people; as they must not have know about the snow thump.
You guys nailed it totally. I shared ur forecast with friends and family (ahead of time) thanks to you my family made it home safe.
I'll keep spreading the word how good you guys are. Maybe more will be spared in the future

Posted by: tryingtochill | January 27, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

For those flying today, both Logan and Dulles are open. United 860 to Boston left on time. That means my Boston to Dulles flight later today will be fine. Not looking forward to digging my car out at the Douues parking lot.

Posted by: seahawkdad | January 27, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful forecasting, CWG. You made it clearer than any other news outlet that the onset would be fast, messy, and dangerous.

Posted by: kersl | January 27, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse