The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 01/31/2011

Forecast: Light wintry mix tonight

By Jason Samenow
Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Not much to like: cloudy, cold, and wintry mix tonight

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy. Chance of afternoon flurries or freezing drizzle. 29-33. | Tonight: Light wintry mix developing. 27-31. | Tomorrow: Morning mix, then cloudy. 33-37. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Wintry weather is back in the forecast but no need to panic. The light, scattered mixed precipitation possible mainly tonight into tomorrow morning's rush hour may cause some slipperiness, but won't be crippling. Then we catch a break tomorrow afternoon before the next round of precipitation late tomorrow night and Wednesday. That round probably brings rain in most spots, but we'll have to watch temperatures - especially in the far north and west suburbs.

Snow Potential Index: 5 (→) - Maybe a dusting tonight before mix. Rain or snow chance Saturday.

The SPI is a daily assessment of the potential for accumulating snow for the next week on a 0-10 scale. Get the 'SPI' on Twitter

Today (Monday): The combination of cloudy skies and a cold wind from the northeast hold temperatures more or less steady. Highs range from the upper 20s in the northern suburbs to the low 30s downtown and to the south. A few flurries or even some very light freezing drizzle are possible during the afternoon, especially west of town. Major commuting issues are not anticipated, but use caution if any light precipitation is falling. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: Prior to midnight, we have a slight chance (30-40%) of some light snow flurries or even some freezing drizzle. After midnight, the chance of a light wintry mix of precipitation increases to 60-70%. We may see a little snow, but it probably changes over to sleet and freezing rain as the night wears on. Lows are in the upper 20s to near 30. Snowfall amounts may only be a dusting (if that) around D.C., with a little more possible as you go north and northwest. Light icing is a bigger possibility throughout the region. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through next weekend...

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Light sleet and freezing rain is probable (70-80% chance) through 10 a.m.-noon or so. So the morning's commute may be a tricky one and some school delays or closings are possible. Precipitation tapers off in the early afternoon when temperatures may inch slightly above freezing especially from D.C. and to the southeast. For the remainder afternoon it's cloudy and raw, with highs 32-35. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Skies remain cloudy with rain or freezing rain likely after midnight. The best chance of freezing rain will be in the northwest suburbs (northwest Montgomery and Frederick counties) where temperatures hover near freezing. Elsewhere, it's a close call, but temperatures are probably warm enough for mostly rain (we have to watch this carefully, though. Temperatures are steady in the low-to-mid 30s. Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Rain or possibly freezing rain (especially in the colder suburbs) is possible early Wednesday morning. Everyone should (not a definite) go over to plain rain by mid-morning - which may be briefly heavy by mid-morning before it all shuts off by early afternoon. It gradually turns windy with highs ranging from near 40 to well into the 40s depending on how much the cold air erodes (probably more so southeast, and less to the northwest). It's quite blustery and turns sharply colder Wednesday night, with lows 22-27 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Low

Thursday may be the most tranquil of the work week albeit cold. It's partly sunny and breezy with highs in the mid-to-upper 30s. Clear and calm Thursday night, with lows in the teens to near 20 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

Clouds may slowly increase Friday with a chance of snow or rain Friday night as a storm may approach from the south. Lows are near 30. The chance of snow or rain continues into Saturday, with highs in the 30s. Confidence: Low

Saturday night and Sunday probably see gradual clearing (unless the storm from the south is delayed), with lows around 20 and highs in the 30s. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Jason Samenow  | January 31, 2011; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Big Midwest snow looms, wintry mix & rain for D.C.
Next: Commutageddon: could we all have done more?

Comments

What would be the conditions that would allow more cold air to take hold in the District and turn this storm into sleet or snow?

Posted by: thecavs1 | January 31, 2011 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Well in the good news category rain, even the frozen variety, tends to help wash away any snow on the ground. I for one am anxious to see all that go. Even if it does look like I will be working from home a day or two this week especially since I live in upper Montgomery County.

Posted by: McCarthy911 | January 31, 2011 6:22 AM | Report abuse

@thecavs1

There's nothing that's going to turn this into a snowstorm for us. Storm track is way too far to the west. If the precipitation gets an early start tonight, we may see a few more flakes than forecast - but I don't see a scenario we get more than a dusting to half an inch and we might not get any snow. This is more of a light icing event and then rain.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I have a doctor's appointment at 10am in Baltimore Tuesday. I will be heading up from N Bethesda - do you think it will be safe to drive up then or should I look to postpone it? Thanks!

Posted by: TerpzFan | January 31, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Last day of January. Good riddance!

With a colder than normal December and January, this has already been a long winter.

The good news for me is only 48 more days til spring!

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 31, 2011 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Doug Hill on WTOP was saying the freezing rain will be mostly North of the metro area. Good. Snow is OK, but freezing rain is bad all 'round.

104 days to beach season.

Posted by: wiredog | January 31, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

No weather advisory for this aft???
Sounds like we need one only if lite precip.

Posted by: moo1 | January 31, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I want to hear more about the snow chances friday/saturday. Hoping....

Posted by: nolagirl67 | January 31, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

"Wintry weather is back in the forecast but no need to panic."
Reading today's forecast from Jason is like taking a modest dose of Valium.
It's just for today. I'll need more for a severe case of ice anxiety tomorrow.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 31, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

No weather advisory for this aft???
Sounds like we need one only if lite precip.

Posted by: moo1 | January 31, 2011 8:02 AM | Report abuse

How much freezing rain can we see ?

Posted by: RJ16 | January 31, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

TerpzFan - you might want to postpone yes. I am worried about traffic as you leave Bethesda around 830am, slightly cooler temperatures in Baltimore, and overall slipperiness even near your home. It may not fully warm above freezing until the 10am-noon timeframe.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

RJ16 - Light icing being the possibility throughout the region, it could approach 1/4" if we are unlucky. But at least temperatures will get above freezing by midday tomorrow.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Okay thats nice. I hope that applies to Damascus where I am at! I hope MCPS does not cancel school again.

Posted by: RJ16 | January 31, 2011 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Capitol Weather gang,

First thanks for all your hard work. I have a question how does the current flooding and cyclones in Australia effect our hurricane season this coming Summer and early Fall?

I was just wondering if there was any correlation between their summer Cyclone season and our Hurricane season?

Posted by: sheepherder | January 31, 2011 8:18 AM | Report abuse

BTW some friends and I were discussing folks problems driving in the snow this past Wednesday. We came up with a few ideas since we all either race or teach high performance driving and accident avoidance for various car clubs. Take a look at your tires. Are they summer or All Season? All seasons are really no seasons but they can get you home of you take it easy Summer tires forget in the snow. Winter tires are the answer. All of us have at least one vehicle with dedicated winter tires. All terrain tires on your SUV or pick up are slightly better but dont have the tread or tire compound to deal with winter precip or temps.

Another consideration is change out of your boots into a running shoe or deck shoe. made a big difference for my girlfriend changing out of her stiletto thigh high boots to her workout shoes. My throttle and braking control suffers if I am wearing my work boots. I have to be more careful. Remember the gas pedal is not an on/off switch but can be modulated and deck shoe allows you to use your toes to modulate. More gas doesnt mean you will get unstuck. My friends and I drive hipo RWD cars set up for the track and with our winter tires have no problems in the snow. Shifting from drive to reverse to rock the car gently may get you on stuck.

And ice unless you have studs forget it. Even though modern winter tires have tire compounds and tire tread design that help on ice they still have issues.

Two final thoughts slow and steady will get you home and look where you want to go and like magic your hands will steer you there.

Posted by: sheepherder | January 31, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Frederick - more ice or rain? I see we have a Winter Storm Watch now that says a possibility of 1/4 inch or more of ice through Weds AM. What's the CWG opinion?

Thanks in advance! You guys are the best. :)

Posted by: lily2905 | January 31, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

sheepherder - Thanks for the tire recommendations. You sound like an expert!

regarding cyclones in Australia, the warm waters associated with La Nina in the Pacific are promoting cyclone formation and it is most unfortunate. Two cyclones will have impacted Queensland this week. More flooding likely. Ugh.

Correlation really can't be drawn between Australia's cyclone season and our Atlantic hurricane season. We likely won't have the same phase of La Nina/El Nino once our hurricane season starts on June 1. Colorado State hurricane experts & NOAA will probably re-evaluate global circulation conditions and water temperatures, through the Pacific & Atlantic, a couple more times before June 1. Those reports will detail variables important to Atlantic hurricane formation that, each season, may be weighted differently.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

any thoughts for any major snow events around here in February? We're usually good for at least one.

Posted by: garyolney | January 31, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

any thoughts of a major snow event around here in February? We're good for at least one.

Posted by: garyolney | January 31, 2011 9:15 AM | Report abuse

lily2905 - be careful in Frederick. More ice than in DC. Slightly colder and thus the ice very well could meet or exceed 1/4".

garyolney - hard to speculate on the entire month, but we appear to be cold and stormy at times this winter. February portends some more cold air could invade. And it only takes one storm to track appropriately into/around our cold air to create some wintry precip for DC. I say chances for a moderate snow are above the long-term average for our typical February.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys,
What was the rain equivalent of last week's snowstorm @ DCA? I know everyone said it was a wet snow, but didn't know if this translated to more liquid.

Posted by: jojo2008 | January 31, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I love this site! It is my only source for DC weather.

However, I am travelling to Portland, ME this week and they don't have a similar site. I am curious what site (or sites) people most recommend for getting good, reliable forecasts for other east coast cities...

Posted by: pxw22 | January 31, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I remember the old days of switching tires for winter. I even had studs on the 67 Camaro...wish I still had the Camaro. Virginia only allowed studded tires during the winter months b/c they tore up the roads. I have all season on the little race car I have now. I usually elect to stay home and make soup in bad weather.

Posted by: tbva | January 31, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@Camden-CapitalWeatherGang Looking for a best guess in terms of the weather tomorrow night after the CAPS game. Not just DC, but headed north into Carroll County, MD. Icy or just wet?

Thanks.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 31, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 31, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I've been afraid this might be happen (it often does) - but the latest NAM model is trending colder for Wed morning - as it's picking up more cold air damming. This may mean a bigger icing threat - especially north and west. I'll have more in an update around midday.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I live in Hagerstown, MD where the NWS has issued a Winter Storm Watch from late tonight through Wednesday morning. The NWS believes that in Hagerstown we will have freezing rain through Wednesday AM with no change over to plain rain on Tuesday. CWG, do you agree with this? Thanks.

Posted by: msmith2131 | January 31, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Should we be worried about school delays or closings in MD (Montgomery County) on Tuesday and/or Wednesday morning? My daughters have field trips they're looking forward to :)
Thanks.

Posted by: lkusmin | January 31, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Like the above poster, I'm interested in why the metro area isn't at least under an advisory for tonight?

It seems, according to everything I've read, that there's a pretty prolonged period of (light) frozen precipitation.

This reminds me a lot of two weeks ago...

Posted by: NickG32 | January 31, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I grew up on Oregon's Mt. Hood and frequently drove a '69 Mustang in far more challenging conditions than DC experienced last week. The key is tire chains. For $60-100 you can throw a pair in your trunk for such situations. They restrict your speed to 35 mph but that's a heck of a lot better than being stuck.

I carry the SAE class "S" low-profile chains (restricted wheelwell clearance) for my AWD Honda Element (even though it has Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires and goes effortlessly through a foot of snow). Tire chains are insurance, especially for less capable cars and any vehicle without winter tires.

Posted by: Gidgmom | January 31, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The sound of chains on cars brings back old memories of helping my father back over them and secure them in evil ice and snow, it was no fun.

Posted by: tbva | January 31, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Heads up, CWG--whoever is designing the WaPo's front page is still linking to the "Another midweek storm to track" discussion from the 29th. While that was a great discussion, it isn't the latest word on the weather.

At least it's not as bad as classical WETA, where someone looked at the headers for northern Maryland and deduced (and announced on the air) that the region is under a WS Watch. Ugh.

Posted by: jkuchen | January 31, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eric654 | January 31, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Of course the NAM is trending colder. Always does. It's the pattern that never stops.

Guess I should give up trying to get to work until April. So aggravating.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 31, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I thought tire chains were illegal in this area, as they destroy the roads?

Posted by: CYork1 | January 31, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

What a lovely forecast for the week (sarcasm).

So if you live in the western suburbs like me, here is your forecast for the week:

Monday - cold, maybe freezing drizzle
Tuesday - ice ice baby
Wednesday - ice ice baby
Thursday - cold but no precip
Friday - snow or rain
Saturday - snow or rain

And people wonder why I hate winter.

BTW look for all western and northern schools to close both Tuesday and Wednesday. They usually do closings, not delays, for ice since they err on the side of caution and no one can accurately predict when temps will get above freezing. Last time they didn't get above freezing until 12:30pm here, well past a 2-hour or even 3-hour delay.

Posted by: rwalker66 | January 31, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm stalking the weather as we leave for Disney on Sunday morning the 6th. Any thoughts as to how bad a potential Saturday into Sunday storm would be? Likelihood of delays/cancellations? When will we know more?

Fingers crossed that I don't have to tell our little girl we can't go see Mickey...

Posted by: steveandkaryn | January 31, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I thought tire chains were illegal in this area, as they destroy the roads?

Posted by: CYork1 | January 31, 2011 10:13 AM
_____________________________________

DC law is silent on the subject, Virginia and Maryland allow them subject to snow emergency or need.

People seem to confuse chains with studded tires that have in the past been left on cars all winter. No one leaves chains on or wants to use them on bare pavement (top speed 35mph, noisy and bumpy).

Posted by: Gidgmom | January 31, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

just got back from "snow hunting" in GFS la-la land.

saturday looks to be a near miss. possibly flurries at the end? we stay plenty cold. the problem seems to be that if the storm track improves (moves northeast to increase precip), it would bring the warmth with it making everything stupid rain.

there's a possible 2" snowstorm 192-240 hrs out (he laughs then cries)... and there's a big 1-2 punch mostly rainstorm from 348-384 hrs that would be 8-10" if it were snow... (laughs then cries some more)
--------------

rwalker66,
speaking of "ice ice baby"

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 31, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Jason - Hmmmm, my 8-month-pregnant wife has to drive into MD (from NoVA) for work on Tues and Wed...she usually doesn't get much sympathy from her boss when there's snow/ice...are we thinking dangerous event tues/wed or mainly rain and not that big a deal? Your forecast doesn't worry me...your comments do!

Posted by: parksndc | January 31, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: parksndc | January 31, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Greetings all! This is my very first post to ANY blog.

I am not a snow lover by any stretch of the imagination, but the excitement of those who were anxious for snow last week was somewhat contagious! Somewhat. :o)

But sadly, this is a gloom and doom week. :o(

CWG rocks!

Posted by: ThinkWarm | January 31, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Our roads are already at or near capacity during rush hours, many with long commutes. It doesnt take many accidents or drivers who have trouble navigating the conditions to cause rippling and crippling effects throughout the area.

Posted by: apeirond | January 31, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

walter,
I remember seeing that back when it aired. In case you were wondering whatever became of old "Vanilla" he's doing some "stars dancing on ice" show in the UK where ice fought the ice and (real) ice won:

Nice dragon btw

Posted by: rwalker66 | January 31, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

@parksndc

I'll have more in update around 12:30 p.m. But I think biggest threat is NW suburbs for freezing rain early Wed a.m. Tues a.m. may have a light glaze, but precip amounts very light.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 31, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to ThinkWarm! I, for one, hope you get hooked on posting merely for the amusument of seeing your handle during an August heatwave.

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 31, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, ThinkWarm! I, for one, hope you get hooked on posting merely for the amusement of seeing your handle during a brutal August heatwave. ;)

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 31, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason, I'll pass that on and look forward to reading your update.

Posted by: parksndc | January 31, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

ThinkWarm, welcome. I like your name.

Are you related to ThinkSpring? I like her name too! LOL

Posted by: rwalker66 | January 31, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@CWG
While I agree with you on the Atlantic Hurricane Season, here is an interesting analysis between the current Atlantic temperature deviations and potential for hurricanes hitting the east coast:

Posted by: jb41477 | January 31, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey CWG,

Am i gonna get reamed out tomorrow morning by "nothing else to do" council members, if I pretreat the roads and nothing happens tonight/tomorrow as far as ice is concerned. Im just east of DC inside the beltway in PG county?

I understand this will be an isolated event tonight, some here, some there. You guys gonna do a ice zone map for tonight/tomorrow?

Posted by: KRUZ | January 31, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@CWG

Posted by: jb41477 | January 31, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

KRUZ - Personally, I'm all for you all salting the roads, just in case.

Posted by: parksndc | January 31, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The last La Nina forecasts I saw predict La Nina conditions which weaken slowly until Sept. 1, 2011 at which time the ENSO index goes neutral.

Based on this forecast, the Atlantic hurricane season should begin generally in an active phase until September at which time it may become less active as the season winds down.

In a more near-term forecast I checked the NWS' MJO Power Point presentation for the next two weeks. Right now the MJO is active Phase 8 which correlates generally with cold temperatures in the Eastern U.S. As February proceeds, the Kelvin wave is supposed to weaken and the MJO will go inactive, which may translate into milder conditions in the next two weeks.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 31, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

AsymptoticUnlimited and rwalker66, thank you for the welcome!

Alas, last August was even too much for me! LOL! I think I’ll jump on the ThinkSpring bandwagon! :o)

Posted by: ThinkWarm | January 31, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

No interest in ice. BTW, I believe studs are illegal here. I had them on my truck in Alaska from Oct 20 (I think) to May 1. They're rather expensive, so I didn't bring them with me just to waste space and not use them. They helped, but they're no magic winter driving potion. I learned to visually clear any intersection I came across, because there was always someone sliding through uncontrolled.

Posted by: HappyArmyWife | January 31, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

So nice to see some more snow haters on here! ThinkWarm and ThinkSpring, ill just be happy when March 1 gets here! At least we know spring isnt far off!

WUSA 9 just showed us getting 0.13" of an inch of ice. That spells disaster for wed mornings commute and many sleepless nights for yours truly out salting this BS.

Feb is shaping up to be such a bad winter that even the SNOW LOVERS will be waving the white flags for mercy by the time winter is over.

The only upside for this winter is the schools. I know the kids love the days off and quite frankly i like them getting alot of days off because it just means they will have to make up the days this summer!!!!! So kiddies, keep rooting for the snow so i can be kid free this spring and summer when i take my vacations!!!! Maybe we'll get enough snow so that kids will be in school until august LOL ;)

Posted by: KRUZ | January 31, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

lol Kruz. Kid free vacations are the best! :)

Posted by: HappyArmyWife | January 31, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I have been following this blog for a few months now and am addicted. CWG you absolutely nailed it last week while everyone else seemed to hesitate to pull the trigger so to speak. Maybe people will pay more attention next time. Fantastic job!!!! Wish OPM would use your guidance or at least read your comments. maybe that could alleviate long commutes and bottlenecks when this weather hits. Took me ten hours to go 26 miles from Herndon area to Leesburg.

@KRUZ- didn't WUSA 9 downplay the last tstorm as well saying only a little snow? Guess we should expect an inch or so of ice.

Posted by: Novice1 | January 31, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Can we all agree that Pepco should indeed be panicking already/still, even if the rest of us can relax?

Posted by: public-washingtonpost-com | January 31, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Winter Storm Watches now up for Montgomery and Loudoun.

Posted by: kdvols1 | January 31, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Winter Storm Watch now???? eerily similar to last week.

Posted by: lee478 | January 31, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm supposed to be on a flight at 6pm on Wednesday to Miami - any chance on me getting out? Thanks!

Posted by: ChristinaS2 | January 31, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

OPM has already announced unscheduled leave/ telework for Tuesday

Posted by: McCarthy911 | January 31, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Long time reader, first time poster! (I've always wanted to write that!)

I'm in Baltimore City, and have a 8:20 am flight out of DCA. I was going to try to leave in the 4:30 am range, but wonder if I should even bother. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by: baltoellen | January 31, 2011 6:28 PM | Report abuse