The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:15 PM ET, 01/ 4/2011

International look-up available on Post Weather

By Jason Samenow

Help us improve our weather offerings...

international-weather.jpg
The forecast look-up tool at washingtonpost.com/weather, pictured above, now accepts international city, country searches.

On our new weather page launched last month at washingtonpost.com/weather (read more about it here), you can now get seven-day international forecasts for hundreds of city, country combinations around the world.

Speaking of this page, we'd love to hear about your experience using it so far. So please help us improve this page by responding to a few questions...

If you can spare another couple of minutes, keep reading to answer a few more questions ...

We welcome any specific feedback or ideas for this page in the comment area below. In the coming months, we hope to gradually improve the content and experience at washingtonpost.com/weather.

Thanks again for your feedback...

By Jason Samenow  | January 4, 2011; 6:15 PM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang, Latest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: A dry winter chill
Next: Forecast: Cold to gradually tighten grip

Comments

To be quite honest with you, I had never used your new weather page until today. I spent about 10 or 15 minutes checking it out. Firstly, let me just say I'm CWG's biggest fan. However, I do not especially like the new Washington Post weather page. Why? Because it seems that those forecasts are computer generated. That's why I've never been a huge fan of sites like weather.com because it's not a real person generating the forecast, it's a computer. The main reason I like CWG is because several times throughout the day, you give us an in-depth non-computer generated forecast. And when there's a big snowstorm, you are here, day and night to answer our questions (in the comment section), to explain all the possible scenarios in detail and to tell us what we really want to know. Unlike weather.com, you guys are from DC; you know the region, you know everything there is to know about DC weather, whereas weather.com may say something like "90% chance of snow, 5 - 10 inches, winds 8 - 10 mph, and that's it. Try comparing that to what you guys give us! :)

My main worry is that this new WaPo weather page will just be another weather.com or accuweather.com.

RATINGS (OUT OF 10):
CWG: 10
WaPo wx page: 3 or 4

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 4, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances of including a futurecast graphic on the Weather Wall? Thanks!

Posted by: chatpk | January 4, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mobile friendly CWG page would be great!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 4, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

chatpk and Snowlover2,

I like both of those ideas... especially the mobile friendly suggestion!

CWG: I'd also love to see a CWG iPhone app!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 4, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

On the print weather page, pls considering adding snowfall totals for DCA, IAD, & BWI. Saves having to look it up on the NWS weather site.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 4, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I haven't used the new page; like others above, I need a mobile-friendly site...but I need an Android app.

Posted by: --sg | January 4, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

As a stand-alone product for general consumption, I think the weather wall is well-done. But I think if you ask folks who regularly visit your blog, most, like me, prefer your unique blog as the go-to source for local weather and the interesting weather-related topics you address. And yes to a CWG mobile app! Thanks for the continued high-quality product and all your innovations.

Posted by: novajeffc | January 4, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

i love the CWG and WaPo in general but I wish the pages were more widescreen like the NYTimes page. The WaPo pages are all indented to the right with an enormous amount of empty space on the right side

Posted by: mkbf26 | January 4, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the comments so far. The main Washington Post Weather page is intended to be a place where you can get quick snapshot weather info for any location because we can't provide detailed, customized forecasts outside of D.C. We also want it to be place where you can interact with tools/maps/info we can't pack into the blog. Ideally, both resources are complimentary and useful... that's at least what we're working toward.

And we definitely plan to expand our mobile offerings...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 4, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see precip totals. Maybe a running tally against what's normal for the month/year?

Posted by: jenniej | January 4, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Jason Samenow/Capital Weather Gang,

What do you think about the idea of a CWG iPhone app? Even if you charge $0.99 for it, I think it would be very popular. It's kind of hard to use this site when I'm away from my computer. In fact, I'm writing this very comment from my iPhone, and it's kind of hard.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 4, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I've been checking the Post Weather page for the past couple of weeks only because I haven't been able to access CWG from work (I can get the CWG header, everything under and including At A Glance, and the ads, but not the blog itself - sigh.) However, if I had a choice, I would absolutely head straight to CWG.

Also, a little amused/puzzled by the number of people who want to see more detailed forecast info - I thought CWG gave a lot of that already? Feel free to clarify...

Posted by: MKoehl | January 4, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd gladly pay for an iphone CWG app...

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 4, 2011 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@MKoehl

I think people are referring to only the new Washington Post weather page (not the CWG blog) when wanting to see more detailed forecast info.

@BobMiller2

To echo Jason, in time we'll be focusing a lot more on mobile when it comes to CWG/WaPo weather. And presumably mobile app(s) would be a part of that.

-Dan, CWG

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | January 4, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Would like to see u add a wind for4 for a couple of days out. Would help in deciding if I should go fishing on the Potomac. Nothing worse than fighting the wind on the river.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 4, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

On the 7 day graphic, I think that the words "Lo" and "Hi" should be in a column on the left side with "Lo" on top, then the corresponding numbers in a column on the right. The way that it is now is not how a left to right reader's eyes move across a page. I'll try to give an example below, but don't know if it will format correctly.

Lo: 20
Hi: 42

Posted by: midanae | January 4, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

i think the weather wall is a nice idea, but its kinda similar to what you can generically find elsewhere. what you can't find elsewhere is the passion and expertise the CWG brings to their blog - and that's the only reason i visit the Post when it comes to local weather. the few times i've ended up on the weather wall, i immediately clicked through to the CWG blog to find out what's going on.

as someone who wants to understand what's happening and why, this blog is my main source of weather information in DC. if there was anything else i'd use, it'd be more specific/interesting nuggets about our local weather.

for example - if there are weather-nerdy details we can look out for in a particular storm that the CWG could highlight and readers could identify, i'd eat that up. stuff like: "keep an eye out for greenish looking clouds just before the rain arrives...that means this, etc"...

otherwise, please keep up the great work! and more snow please.

Posted by: whateva1 | January 4, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

For mobile, I follow CWG on Twitter. I can get stats, maps, etc on my blackberry from any site, frankly.

What I enjoy most about CWG is the detailed forecast analysis and the interactive discussion.

Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Bworl | January 4, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Bworl | January 4, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I mainly go straight here, but you could add mountain and beach forecasts to the weather page. The snow/ski tab is nice.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 4, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

CWG iPhone app!! I'm a huge fan of CWG's weather discussions.

Can't say I'm particularly enamored of any part of PostLocal--I find the layout irritating, and *hate* it when links from the national home page go to PostLocal instead of to the article I want to read. If I'm on it, it usually was a mistake on my part.

Posted by: KSVA | January 5, 2011 3:45 AM | Report abuse

My "jumping off point" is the weather page in the back of the Metro section, because (fires up geezer bus) I'm a print subscriber and read the Post while eating breakfast. In the summer I really appreciate the tide times, as that is useful to know when surfing.

When I get online I read CWG. Never bothered to look at the Post's online weather page. Agree that an Android CWG app would be nice, but Weather Channel has a decent one that has all the info I want at a glance.

Posted by: wiredog | January 5, 2011 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree. CWG is my go-to place for weather because of the detail and the local expertise. Combine that with the at-a-glance column on the left and we don't really need anything else. If you want to provide the 7 day forecast for somewhere else, put a link somewhere on the CWG page and leave it at that. The new page isn't necessary.

Posted by: readerl | January 5, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all of the comments and for voting. This is all helpful input. If you haven't voted, you're still welcome to (until the poll closes) and any more comments are welcome. We read these carefully.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 5, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The website sometimes locks up (Safari, Mac) and shuts down the browser as a result of the maps.

I'd LOVE there to be a mobile site so that I can look at it from work or school.

Posted by: ChaseLuray | January 6, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse