The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:20 AM ET, 01/28/2011

Snow winds down

By Jason Samenow

Coating to over an inch falls

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

1:45 p.m.: Radar indicates most of the snow is over except for light, scattered activity to the north and east. This will end in the next hour or so with little or no accumulation. This is the final update on this minor event but watch out for refreezing after dark.

12:30 p.m.: Snow is decreasing in coverage and intensity in many areas. The activity has become more scattered although some steady snow is occurring in the southeast and northern suburbs. From the District and to the south and southwest, accumulating snow is largely over although scattered snow showers and flurries may continue for the next hour or so. Because of the relatively light intensity and moderating temperatures at or above freezing, roads should be mostly wet with the exception of the far northern suburbs (Frederick and Howard counties) where some modest sticking could occur and to the southeast (Charles county) while it remains snowing moderately. Continue to use caution.

11:45 a.m.: I'm watching the back edge of the snow advance to the east and northeast - so the snow should taper in the western suburbs in the next hour. The heaviest snow has fallen south of town this time with reports of 1" or so in parts of Prince William county.

Keep reading for earlier updates...

11:00 a.m.: The next one to two hours probably bring the peak impact from this event around the metro region as we get some moderate snow which may fall fast enough to stick to (particularly untreated) roads. It does look to end everywhere before 2 p.m. and probably between noon and 1 p.m. in the SW suburbs. This is not going to be a repeat of Wednesday so don't rush home now during the worst of it. Wait it out.

10:20 a.m.: In a few spots, this little event may overperform. Radar to the southwest shows some moderate to even heavy snow in Fauquier county headed toward northern Prince William county, Fairfax county and the District. A few spots could end up with a bit more than an inch. This is a fast mover and should wrap up between noon and 1 to the southwest to around 2 p.m. or so northeast. How are road conditions where you are? Let us know.

9:30 a.m.Light snow is overspreading the metro region from the west and southwest. A few bursts of moderate snow are possible with accumulations of 0.5-1". Snow may continue through mid-afternoon. The worst conditions will probably be over the next few hours while temperature remain near freezing. By early-to-mid afternoon, temperatures should warm above freezing around the District and to the southeast.

Here's a statement from the National Weather Service - which is on point, except that the snow has already started in the District as of 9:30 a.m.:

SLIPPERY CONDITIONS POSSIBLE THROUGH MIDDAY...
A period of snow will move through the washington and baltimore metropolitan areas as well as eastern west virginia... North-central Maryland ... Central Virginia ... and lower southern Maryland into early this afternoon. Snowfall will likely start by 10 am in Washington DC and Frederick Maryland ... And by 11 am in the Baltimore and Annapolis.
Snowfall accumulations up to an inch are expected during this time.

By Jason Samenow  | January 28, 2011; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Latest, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Some snow showers today. Flurry Sat?
Next: What should we name Wednesday's storm?

Comments

First? Snowing at 301 Bridge.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 28, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This winter is getting a lot more interesting. That's a decent band coming in right now. Nice backbuilding too.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 28, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Glad this went up, I was about to mention it looked like we might get a decent coating from this. Not much more than a nuisance however.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Snowing in Alexandria just in time for the kids to head off for school. School officials may get flack from parents over having a 2 hour delay instead of a closure. Certainly my kids are pissed :D

Posted by: concepcion611 | January 28, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I think up here in the 'burbs we will get an inch or more. The radar looks like it has some decent energy.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 28, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Heavy flurrying/light snow here in NE Loudoun. There is a dusting on the ground.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Tiny flakes of light snow falling in Manassas...coating the concrete areas and deck, just starting to accumulate and expand the white edges of icy areas on the pavement.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I have class this evening at the UVA center.. right now they are on, but they generally follow FCPS' closing schedule.. so, we shall see. I did my homework :)

I will certainly be careful driving home after (9PM), there will be slick spots on the road.

I feel badly for those ACPS kids! The snow is coming down beautifully here in Alexandria.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 28, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Started snowing at 8:45 AM in Fairfax City and it is falling pretty well now. The driveway and sidewalk are covered.

Posted by: figgy_va | January 28, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Love it. LOOOVE it. It's really coming down in Rosemont Alexandria and looks lovely. TGIF! DDR143.

Posted by: casa_wasabi | January 28, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

down in Fredericksburg, it's been snowing for a good hour and it's only gotten stronger. Could sneak out an inch-1.5 out of this deal.

Posted by: krg3m | January 28, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

It's lovely seeing this light snowfall coming down outside my office windows in downtown DC. A real life snowglobe :)

Posted by: redskirt_ | January 28, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Snowing to beat the band in Old Town - nothing sticking except to the snowpack - little flakes.

My coworker had me going for a second - I commented that it was really coming down and she said "Yea, we're supposed to get 3 inches." I was like "What??" and then she laughed...

Posted by: MKoehl | January 28, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It's been snowing for about an hour. We've got almost 1/2 inch out here ...

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 28, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It is beautiful to see light snow flakes arriving; beginning to sick to the wood deck, and "coat" the fur or our cats. [Herndon] Like others, I am looking forward to the potential for more white flakes next week.

Posted by: sullivanva1 | January 28, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I think I'll take my vehicle home and abandon it in my drivway.

Posted by: mikeyva44 | January 28, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I love the snow, but it's gonna be a while before bike trails (Mt. Vernon) are usable. I had to walk half my commute because of so much ice! Since the weekend is coming...don't really care...so let it snow :)

Posted by: pzkpfw | January 28, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Light snow here in downtown Baltimore.

Posted by: adurante | January 28, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

It's been snowing for over an hour here in Frederick, MD. Can't really guess about accumulation so far, but it's definitely coming down at a good clip.

Posted by: dettiot | January 28, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Since it came in earlier, will it leave earlier? Is it moving faster than expected?

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 28, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

How will these flurries affect my pants?

Posted by: spdawson1 | January 28, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

wow... this is so cool. 32.0 degrees and still snowing very nicely here. on the last thread, we were (are?) talking about snow ratios. well... i'd sat this current snow had a pretty low attention:snow ratio.

i remember storms where we've agonized over every model run, live-blogged the night before, issued an SLCB and a high SPI, ran to the store three times for "provisions", etc... and recieved 1/2"...

i know this was mentioned, but just as flurries etc... this is like "free" snow!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Very light micro-flurries in Olney. Nothing sticking to cleared areas or cars yet.

Posted by: lilymama | January 28, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. 51 days til spring.

Posted by: ThinkSpring (on previous thread) | January 28, 2011 10:06 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And 51 more snow opportunities ;-)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Just back from about an hour and a half run. Started to see flurries about half way through as I passed the Wash Monument. Snow does not appear to be sticking except on previously existing snow/ice, especially crossing Key Bridge.

Posted by: marathoner | January 28, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Snowing at our house, about 2 miles from the Howard/Montgomery line in Howard Cty. Starting to barely cover the sidewalk and driveway. 2 hour delay for us also.. concepcion611 - my kids are pretty pissed too!

Posted by: kathyb39 | January 28, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I think everyone should get drunk and play in the snow...it's Friday, and darn it...we earned it!!!

Posted by: SA-Town | January 28, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

History says there is a nice probability of snow even in Spring.LOL

Posted by: BlackHill | January 28, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm sitting in Civil Procedure at GW Law watching the snow gently falling outside, and wishing I could go play! I'll second Redskirt's comment about it being a "real life snowglobe."

Also, I just started reading this blog a month ago, and you guys are amazing! I love learning about different types of snow systems and prediction models.

Posted by: Zenith2 | January 28, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Come on, you said yesterday this would be only a dusting. Now it could be an inch??! What time will it stop? I want to get out of the house, please.

Posted by: pxl4 | January 28, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

From the flakes going by the window in Rosslyn it looks like anywhere from several to a dozen of the 6-sided flakes glommed together, plus some pelleting. Might be a few individual flakes there too, someone needs to collect them using the stuff Walter spreads to chill his driveway, then snap a close-up picture. Otherwise they melt quickly.

Posted by: eric654 | January 28, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

It's snowing moderately in Baltimore. It doesn't seem to be sticking to anything other than the snowpack though.

Posted by: bachaney | January 28, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Spdawson1, maybe you should wear a skirt when it snows and then you wouldn't have to worry about it!

Posted by: WickedRose | January 28, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@WickedRose

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: spdawson1 | January 28, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Very light snow in Ashburn, and I'm enjoying watching it out my windows (and so is the cat). Even better, I'm off for the weekend and don't have to deal with it!

Posted by: natsncats | January 28, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This is some pretty heavy snow in Manassas for a clipper.

Posted by: rocotten | January 28, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I just drove from Bethesda to Chantilly and it was snowing on me with uniform consistency the whole way. It was only barely starting to accumulate on overpasses/ramps/shoulders, though; nothing on the actual road.

Posted by: VKapur | January 28, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Steady snowfall now here in Bowie MD

Posted by: lsaffell | January 28, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

we had this in cville this morning, it was about an hour or two of pretty moderate snow. since it was early this morning, a lot of it stuck (~1 inch). roads/sidewalks are all clear now. Shouldn't be much in the way of anything, esp later in the day up there.

Posted by: danuva | January 28, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

How will these flurries affect my pants?

Posted by: spdawson1 | January 28, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, spdawson1...how much are you panting now? ;)

Posted by: Annetastic | January 28, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

My nephew was born in April, 1987. There were about 4 inches of snow on the ground that day. Didn't last long but snow in April is not unusual.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | January 28, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Steady flakes still coming down in Manassas. Will the temps stay cold while the clipper is still in the area?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@manassasmissy

I think most spots get above freezing this afternoon. But a quick refreeze tonight.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

To those of you above who used the word pis*ed, get off this blog.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 28, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

coming down steadily and beautifully here on the southern end of charles county... we're up on a hill that looks over the cobb neck peninsula and we can usually see across the potomac river to virginia-- but right now all i see is a swirling snow globe of white and the occasional V of geese flying about!

Posted by: jboastfield | January 28, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

already have 3/4 inch in spotsy

Posted by: panthersny | January 28, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

already have 3/4 inch in spotsy

Posted by: panthersny | January 28, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

steady snow in Fairfax, flakes coming down heavier than the previous hour. can we do a second snow dance today?

Posted by: Fairfax-Snow | January 28, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Been snowing for about an hour in the Gaithersburg Airpark area.

Not sticking to anything but the snow that's already there & the unoccupied parking spots.

Posted by: wadejg | January 28, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Where's WALTER? Has he posted a picture yet?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Coming down nicely here in Crystal/Pentagon City, at least since I woke up about 45 minutes ago (downtown office has been without power for 2 days. Woohoo!!!!). It’s just now starting to accumulate in the court yard at my apartment.

Posted by: kmill67 | January 28, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@Blackhill

La Nina also says it's possible we could get an early spring.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 28, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Snow doesn't appear to be accumulating on cars or roads very well, but it is "cleaning" the dirty snow left over from Wednesday.

Posted by: rocotten | January 28, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I would love to hear more about the next potential storm Tues/ Wed of next week. This winter's getting crazy!

Posted by: qazwsxedcrfv | January 28, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Walter's site:

Thanks for the great sculptures Walter!

Posted by: ladderlassie | January 28, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

still snowing nicely here. temp's going up, though...

regarding the storm naming. i hope CWG is serious in their promise to NOT name every storm that comes along from last winter's december 19th storm to the end of time...

wednesday's storm should be called "jan 26, 2011 snowstorm"...

but, if there must be a cute/fancy name, it can't be anything so long that no one will ever use, and it should be descriptive.

a CWG writer was the first, to my knowledge, to warn/promise of a "thumping" of snow coming our way. so, an acceptable, useable, descriptive, worthwhile name would be "jan 26, 2011 thumper". "thumper" is the best name imo because of how short/fast/intense it was. another noteworthy feature of the storm was the thunder. so, maybe, "jan 26, 2011 thundersnow".

SA-Town,
come on over... we can have a (sea?) monster mash.

manassasmissy,
he has.... ;-) there's a link on the previous thread. (or are you being funny, expecting a pic/sculpture already from today's snow?)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Moderate snow in McLean. Already about 1/2 of inch of accumulation on existing snowpack. And rocotten, you're right, it is doing a good job at cleaning the dirty snow. Just saw a squirrel digging under mulch to reach its store of nuts. I think that why I'm seeing some holes in my backyard.....

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 28, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

oops... now i see there's a link above... thanks ladderlassie.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

officially 1 inch at my house in spotsy

Posted by: panthersny | January 28, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

about 1/2" at IAD medium snow falling steadily, nothing like wednesday, MAYBE .75" per hour?

Posted by: SnowDreamer | January 28, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

thanks, helpful weather channel website, for letting me know we won't see more than half an inch before 4:30 here in frederickburg - where, as panthersny notes above, we already have close to an inch. quite slippery on my neighborhood roads as i took the kids to school - delayed opening - but younger daughter's preschool is now also going to close early. hopefully by the time the first grader's bus hits the roads around 3:30, they will be just wet, and safe! eesh.

Posted by: ashleyba | January 28, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Been snowing since just after 9 in Fairfax. Nice coating over everything - really light and fluffy, but is definitely sticking. It's probably about 1/2 an inch, but a little hard to tell because of the snow already on the ground. It's definitely very slick - fluffy snow on top of a layer of ice - but my daughter had fun playing in it!

Posted by: redsoxgirl | January 28, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

After getting dumped on here in Chantilly on Wednesday (at least 7") and the increasing accumulation right now, I will never complain about the snow hole again.

Posted by: jat2 | January 28, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Just a trace? Hmmm? Definitely beginning to stick in Silver Spring. A pretty steady rate is coming down now.

Posted by: Kairos123 | January 28, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Snowing in Woodbridge and Dale City since about 9. Looks like we can hit about an inch if not more if it is steady over the next hour.

Posted by: tressoleilgoddess | January 28, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful snow, but alas going to Florida today where the high tomorrow will be a nice toasty 73 degrees. Hopefully the storm next week can hold off so my flight can land on Wednesday night. Hoping for snow, just not while I'm gone. Get the best of both worlds-messing around in the snow one day, in shorts and a t-shirt the next! :D

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 28, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh, CWG. I trusted you about today's minor storm, drove a long commute before it, expect to leave well after it's gone and cleared. I do hope you're right.
Some of my co-workers didn't come in, and I'm starting to wonder if they made the right choice.

But the light snow sure is pretty!

Posted by: DrMeglet | January 28, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

snow just about tapering off in spotsy. measured 1.2" ....want more

Posted by: panthersny | January 28, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Moderate snow in Crofton Md. Starting to stick here on the sidewalks. This is performing pretty much like a standard clipper system nothing to be concerned with. What does that next tues/wed storm look like?

Posted by: Terrapunz | January 28, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Excellent sea serpent, Walter. How do you decide what to make and how long did that take you?

Posted by: WickedRose | January 28, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Why have other systems that have come thru and dumped and inch of snow been called 'storms' while this is called a 'shower'? It's been snowing pretty hard for hours here in Arlington.

Posted by: CAROL_KILROY | January 28, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

You really have to squint to see the flurries here in Olney. Nothing sticking. Nothing like what others are describing. And the sun looks like it's trying hard to come out.

Posted by: lilymama | January 28, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Has been snowing pretty steadily here in Edgewater MD for the past 2 hours or so. Not sticking to cars, streets, or sidewalks....not sure of any accumulation. Ready for a big one next week though....trying not to get my hopes up too high, but definitely crossing my fingers :)

Posted by: elizabethk611 | January 28, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing in Frederick, MD and it's just starting to accumulate on surfaces other than snowbank, like cars and sidewalks.

Posted by: dettiot | January 28, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Snow tapered off here in eastern Warren Co. Picked up 1". Temp now up to 33.1F.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 28, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

35 degrees and still snowing politely here.

WickedRose,
i don't know how i decide. when the snow starts falling i start wondering/musing/panicking about what to make. i try to think of something i haven't made before. of course it has to be G-rated. the amount of snow affects it in that i try to make something life-sized or larger. whenever i shovel, i put everything into piles. this one came to me as i looked at the one pile i had at the top of the drive and another at the bottom.

this one took about 6 hours: 1-2 hours of piling up snow, and about 5-4 hours of shaping (which includes a few breaks to rest my old back and knees...)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I think a drunk squirrel took out our transformer. Still no power in Rockville. Being out of power for the second day kinda takes out the fun of the snow. Happy to have family close by though to stay with on these occasions. Picturesque snow today.

Posted by: larryn703 | January 28, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great sculpture, Walter! I love the sea serpent!! Yes, I am now anxiously awaiting today's addition? Hmmm?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Only a stray flake or two left in Manassas.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Shout out to the Capital Weather Gang and some more Bethesda photos at http://www.bethesdaactually.com/

Posted by: SnowLover1 | January 28, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Awesome sea serpent, Walter!

Posted by: serenefallschurch | January 28, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@Annetastic

Hilarious! Not that kind of pant, silly....

Posted by: spdawson1 | January 28, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The snow was dying down here in Silver Spring but a few minutes ago it has slightly picked up in intensity. It's still accumulating everywhere, our street hasn't been plowed due due to 2 down wires, so the road is still a mess....Certainly a nice surprise for it staying around this long =D

Posted by: Hockeyfan28 | January 28, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Weak secondary forming off of North Carolina: http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_3pres.gif Pretty weak and too late to do anything for us.

Posted by: eric654 | January 28, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@Annetastic

Hilarious! Not that kind of pant, silly....

Posted by: spdawson1 | January 28, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey CWG, what are the tea leaves starting to say about next week?

Posted by: Kairos123 | January 28, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Snow seems to have picked up again on 16th and L NW. My co-workers keep getting increasingly worried, to which I say, "just read Capital Weather Gang, there's nothing to worry about."

Posted by: redskirt_ | January 28, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I think we should all take some time to kick back, relax and watch the beautiful snow fall (yes, it's still flurrying here in NE Loudoun). We should take some time to appreciate what mother nature has given us.

I don't know about you folks inside the beltway, but here in Loudoun, everything is beautiful. Little/no snow has melted today. There is a field near my house where the deer, foxes, birds, and other wildlife gather and the snow just makes it even more picturesque.

So I'm just going to sit in my living room, look out the window at the wildlife, appreciate this beautiful gift from mother nature and drink some hot chocolate.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Picked up in intensity here in Crystal City as well but still not sticking. Time to head out to buy additional provisions (scotch and vodka).

Posted by: kmill67 | January 28, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Reston, VA - Moderate/Light Snow stopped for about 40 mins around noon, but we're not back to Moderate snowfall in the town centure. We're only at 32 degrees approaching 2pm. This thing is getting interesting.

Posted by: parksndc | January 28, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Still getting flurries in Laytonsville, pretty much all day with periodic breaks. No accumulation on non-snow covered surfaces. Roads are wet, but fine.

With these non-accumulating (Road surfaces) flurries and a bright landscape of fresh snow, can you think of a better time to take the kid out and play? I'm outta here.

May everyone remain safe.

Posted by: dprats21 | January 28, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I think the snow is kinda pretty here in Laurel but seems to be winding down. Maybe some more "mini" snow events here will teach people that an inch of snow isn't a huge problem *if* you have the right tires and vehicle (aka not bald tires and not rear wheel drive) and understand physics.

Posted by: biketraveller22 | January 28, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2 - maybe you and your snow-loving friends should invite those of us who STILL don't have power in our (currently) 48 degree homes over to enjoy the "beautiful gift" from Mother Nature, eh? Fantastic to drive out and check on the house over STILL unplowed and untreated neighbord streets after having to find somewhere else to spend the last two nights and have to worry about frozen pipes, etc. Really, this is AWESOME.

And for all of you cheering for more "feet and feet" of snow next week - can we let the people still without power recover first, and maybe warm their homes back up? Not to mention those who had 12 or 13 hour treks home.

I can't decide if you're all a bunch of immature children trapped in adult bodies, or if you just do it to troll commenters like me.

Posted by: nocando | January 28, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@nocando

We can't "let" people recover. Bob and Walter (who was out of power for a while) and the rest of the snow lovers can't change what may or may not happen next week.

There are starving people all over the world. That is tragic. But I'm not going to let it stop me from enjoying my lunch. If snow lovers stopped snow loving, your power isn't going to magically turn on.

Posted by: megamuphen | January 28, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice the long range forecast for snow/mix next Wednesday just jumped to 60%? I know it's probably computer generated, not controlled by CWG, but it makes we wonder what model data just showed up to make that change. That's a pretty high % for 5 days out.

All I can say is, Bring It (again)!

Posted by: MDDem2 | January 28, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Still flurrying in Old Town Alexandria. Guess it's trying to squeeze as much out as it can! Nice coating on all the grey snow, wet otherwise.

Posted by: MKoehl | January 28, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Nocando - Do you think that Skippy is only making peanut butter to 'troll' people with peanut allergies?

Some really unfortunate things have happened over the past few days, i'll agree. However, you ARE on a site with a column entitled 'the snow lovers crystal ball.' Chances are, there are a lot of snow lovers on this site...they're probably not trying to 'troll' you. If comments that are pro-snow frustrate you, you probably should not be reading the comments...

Posted by: amerikajin777 | January 28, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@nocando

I thought the previous poster summed it up pretty well. Snow lovers aren't excited about your misery. They are excited about the weather.

I suffer from terrible allergies in the spring. Medicine, shots, acupuncture, all are no help. I'm miserable from April through June. But, I don't think that ThinkSpring is enjoying my misery.

However, if it was cold and snowy right into July, that'd be fine with me. Just like if it was warm all winter, it'd be fine with you.

Posted by: maymay1 | January 28, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@megamuphen - I simply meant let them recover before the cheerleading begins for yet more snow. I'm well aware that no one controls the weather, but the unbridled, over-the-top enthusiasm gets a little bit grating after a while. The fact remains: This area is NOT equipped to handle snow of the magnitude we saw last winter, and obviously the power companies haven't had enough time to minimize the problems snow causes. (And don't get me started on VDOT's utter ineptitude.)

However, enjoy your lunch. :-P

Posted by: nocando | January 28, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

nocando-

1) Go to Home Depot.
2) Buy a kerosene heater.
3) Stop being pissed off and miserable.

Posted by: mason08 | January 28, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse