The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 PM ET, 01/10/2011

Snow hole? No Weather Service advisory for DC

By Jason Samenow

Actually, we/they still expect accumulating snow

dc-snow-hole-jan102010.jpg

The Weather Channel reports (via Twitter) 39 states and one third of the U.S. population have either a National Weather Service winter storm watch, warning, or advisory in effect .

close-up-snow-hole.jpg
Close up of National Weather Service advisories in region at 5 p.m. Monday; winter storm watches and winter weather advisories surround the region.

But not Washington, D.C. and its western suburbs. (Our eastern suburbs are under a Winter Storm Watch)

That may change this evening (I expect a winter weather advisory will be posted for the region for tomorrow), but I had to post this map for its comedic value in light of the well-known December 26 snow hole...

Repeating: We're still forecasting 1-4 inches of snow. See our latest snowfall map, timeline and frequently asked questions....

By Jason Samenow  | January 10, 2011; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  Humor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Waiting on tomorrow's snow
Next: Winter in DC: nothing longer than waiting for snow

Comments

LOL (and yes, I literally did laugh out loud)

-Katie

Posted by: ThinkGreen | January 10, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Not funny. Snow holes are just not funny.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 10, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I had to laugh, if I didn't I'd have cried.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 10, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

When I first moved here I was told there was a kind of bubble over DC that stopped it getting much snow. After last year I thought they were joking but it would appear to be true looking at the above map. It is rather disappointing, I want snow!

Posted by: MichaelaK | January 10, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

That makes me sick to my stomach.

Posted by: dannythe357 | January 10, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I want it to snow. or at least rain. We are beginning a drought, and that is the most important news to share

Posted by: pvogel88 | January 10, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I just saw this map and thought the exact same thing.

Posted by: JTF- | January 10, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I live dead center in the snow hole (in the center of Warren County). The map makes sense considering what we have is a practically dead southern stream low that will be too far off the coast, plus a clipper going north of us. Sometimes that combination can still bring snow, but usually the coastal has to be a lot stronger than it is right now.

Posted by: eric654 | January 10, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, I am pleased that the web site seems to be getting a wee bit faster.

Posted by: eric654 | January 10, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Gang - while this storm is different from the Dec 26th storm (no two storms are exactly alike)...you have to admit, this sure is shaping up to dump snow, proportionally, in the same areas as the Dec 26th storm (again, not saying the same amounts but locations are very similar and the locations with the most precip is very similar)...I can't remember (in over 30 years of tracking weather) seeing such common patterns during winter months two years in a row. It’s really amazing. My prediction, a trace to an inch in Reston, VA.

Posted by: parksndc | January 10, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

The world's worst golfer could hit that large of a hole, even putting from from the very edge of the green.

Or, in football terms, if the Redskins offensive line had been able to open up holes that large during last season, they would have made the playoffs, probably as the No. 1 seed.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 10, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

i GUARANTEE this is a product/coding or internet error at WFO Sterling. The ENTIRE surrounding area - all the bordering counties from State College, Pittsburgh, Charleston, Blacksburg and Wakefield offices - have Advisories in effect. I doubt there's a REAL snow hole that JUST affects Sterling's area... and at the same time NOT affecting the Winter Storm Watch to the east....

Posted by: TheBorg | January 10, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I just freaking hate the sky......
Last year ruined me. Snow expectations are all out of whack. All right then, I expect NOTHING.
But I'm taking my boots in to work with me tomorrow. Just in case.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 10, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

TheBorg - Wanna bet? Take a look at the snowcoverage map after the Dec 26th storm...it'll look familiar.

Posted by: parksndc | January 10, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I am too, FIREDRAGON. Maybe that's what we're doing wrong. No snow boots = snow? No... that can't be. Last year I got new boots before the winter- and look what happened? I'm heading to Zappos now.. (yes, I am hanging onto superstition- at this point I'll do anything. Snow dancing coming up, ice cubes readied for the toilet)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 10, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

TheBorg, you could not be more mistaken. If you understood the way the storm will work that's exactly what's going to happen. Not saying it to be crude, just that with these type of miller b's forming so late up the coast you're going to get areas where the snow just circumvents.

Posted by: bbirnbau | January 10, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I decree that whenever CWG posts a "snowhole" map, they shall also post a map of last year's Snowpocalypse and Snowmageddon.

Posted by: DOG3521 | January 10, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Penance for last year no doubt. This is hilarious

Posted by: AdmiralX | January 10, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the next event will be a snow/mix/rain --- OMG freezing rain???? Tell me it isn't so. Please.......
It is scary enough to get down my driveway.

Posted by: moo1 | January 10, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@bbirnbau: what's a "miller b?"

and that still doesn't explain why we wouldn't get (at least) an Advisory. oh well. :-(

Posted by: TheBorg | January 10, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Ice cubes for the toilet? What am I missing here?

Posted by: HappyArmyWife | January 10, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse