The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 01/13/2011

PM Update: Cold holds, winds diminish

By Jason Samenow

Today marks the 10th day of 13 this month with temperatures at or below average. And chilly weather continues for at least the next several days. On the plus side, winds should gradually slacken tonight into tomorrow, taking an edge off the chill.

Through Tonight: This could be the coldest night of the winter. With clear skies, light winds, and lingering snow cover, temperatures tumble. Lows range from near 10 in the colder suburbs to around 20 downtown.

Tomorrow (Friday): Skies are partly to mostly sunny, but it's still cold. High are probably around where they were this afternoon - in the mid-to-upper 30s. Mercifully, winds are fairly light - out of the northwest at 5-10 mph.

See David Streit's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Record snow in Hartford, Connecticut: Yesterday, Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Ct. (near Hartford) set a record for both its greatest snowstorm and daily snowfall total . The snow total reached 25" by the time the storm concluded. NOAA's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center has an impressive list of snow totals from the storm that impacted the Deep South through New England.

By Jason Samenow  | January 13, 2011; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Does snow cover extent debunk global warming?
Next: Weather forecast delivered by toothpaste?

Comments

Oh gosh, I just found a stinkbug in my house. I hadn't seen any since the fall; I thought they were gone!!! I was hoping that the cold weather would get rid of them. I absolutely despise those little pests.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 13, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Possibly the coldest night of the winter.
Oh joy.
Maybe the extreme cold will terminate the local stinkbug problem.
That's what winter is for; sterilization & sledding.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 13, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@FIREDRAGON47

I agree. I HATE stink bugs with my whole heart. Those little good-for-nothing pests are horrible. Like you said, maybe tonight's low of 10°F will kill 'em all.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 13, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2

I though they were gone too, until one landed on my hand yesterday. Too bad next weeks storm looks to be rain. 2 things I hate during winter- stinkbugs that come out when it gets warm, and cold rain.

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 13, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, not thrilled by the idea of a bitter cold night, but if it means the weekend will be milder I guess it's an OK trade.

Posted by: angelicat | January 13, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

The comment section of this website sure is quiet tonight... I haven't seen it this quiet for several weeks.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 13, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

yeah it is quiet in here. I know how to liven it up!

Fox 5 said we have to watch the snow saturday as the track still isnt certain and a bit if snow may make it a little further south. NWS is saying sprinkles or flurries though. Anything more CWG can share about saturdays snow chances. Can the track change to get us a bit more than showers or flurries or is this gonna be conversational snow at best on saturday?

Posted by: KRUZ | January 13, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I just finished looking through my photo album of snowmageddon. What an amazing storm that was! I measured 31.8" here in NE Loudoun, just a few miles N of Dulles, which recorded 32".

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 13, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Already 23.9°F here in Sterling. Looks like we're well on our way to that low of 10°F - 20°F.

CWG: is there even a remote possibility Of next week's storm being all snow??

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 13, 2011 9:10 PM | Report abuse

A few colleagues and I were discussing today: we haven't really seen those periods of cold where the lows are much below 20 or the high teens. In my memory, we usually have a few bouts of really low temps, like 10 or below, overnight. But this year, it seems to be just a steady Highs in the 30s, winds 5-20mph, lows in the 20s, winds 5-20mph. No super swings in the temps, just generally cold and below average with that darn cold winter wind.

As for stinkbugs, a recent phenomenon, don't get me started on the introduction of another non-native species and its impact on our environment. No natural predators here. The Post had a good write-up on them last year. The new bane of farmers.

Posted by: bobosnow | January 13, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Gee, knock on wood, I haven't smote a stinkbug since Sunday. I wish they'd get the message that when I spot one, it's a royal flush.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 13, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I love a light snow on a Saturday.
As for those little Stinkers, well, they are just not very bright.

Posted by: moo1 | January 13, 2011 10:24 PM | Report abuse

25 inches at BDL, that's alot -- but still less than the 38.5 inches received in Savoy, MA (actual NWS estimate). Wow!

Posted by: jantos2 | January 13, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@bobmiller2

any updates on that storm you were eying? ;)

Posted by: bobdello01 | January 13, 2011 11:05 PM | Report abuse

the GFS and NAM both look waay different for saturdays little event. On the NAM it basically nothing not even close to a flurry. On the GFS is maybe a flurry, but prolly not.

On both models theres a chunk off to the west that is destroyed by the mountains in the following frames of the runs. Looking like not even any conversational snow.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 13, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

CWG what is this, rain or snow MLK day?

I see we are right on the 540 line and thats alot of precip there. So if we are on the 540 line, whoch precip type will win out, looks like it could be quite a bit of snow if that were the type.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 13, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

KRUZ,
it's so irritating to me that when the moisture comes in the warmth comes in. it's been so cold and dry for so long, then moisture comes in and it warms up. must be connected, darn it.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 13, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Walter,

I can understand your frustration but being a snow hater im hopeful this is the trend the rest of the winter. Im not at all excited at the concept of snow, any snow, at all.

Really hope CWG gives us a good update on saturdays possibilities as well as monday/tuesdays possibilities and what they think and see in the models.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 13, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse