The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:35 PM ET, 01/28/2011

PM Update: Cold tonight, few flurries Saturday

By Jason Samenow

Possible slick roads tonight due to refreezing

(originally posted at 3:35 p.m. updated at 10:00 p.m.)

Today's heavy coating to inch and a half of snow put a fitting cap on our wintry work week. No snow tonight but falling temperatures pose a refreeze threat. Saturday is cold with a chance of flurries which likely amount to even less than what we got today.

Through Tonight: Skies partially clear and temperatures slowly fall. By late this evening most areas are near or below freezing so be careful walking/driving. Overnight, temperatures drop to near 20 in the colder suburbs to the mid-to-upper20s downtown.

Tomorrow (Saturday): We may see a little morning sunshine, but fast on the heels of today's disturbance, another one drops southeast toward the region increasing clouds. This one, however, passes just slightly to our north placing us in a less favorable position for snow. The best chance of snow is in the northern suburbs during the afternoon where a dusting is possible. Elsewhere, accumulation isn't likely with just some flurries or light snow showers. Highs are in the upper 30s.

See Camden Walker's forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Wednesday storm imagery: NASA has put together a page with awesome satellite views of the Clusterslush storm (second top vote getter, vote now). An amazing video beautifully captures the storm's evolution.

By Jason Samenow  | January 28, 2011; 3:35 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What made Wednesday's storm special?
Next: Forecast: A flake or two today, nicer Sunday

Comments

Not sure if I've missed or not, but will you be issuing a grading/retrospective of the prediction process? I really enjoy that.

Posted by: eddiedog2 | January 28, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

so when halfway through, the video suddenly goes from almost calm to almost totally white, that's the "thump"/explosively developing clusterslush thingy? wow.

Posted by: ashleyba | January 28, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@eddiedog2

I'm working on a piece that looks at how well the storm was forecast not just by us but other outlets. Will run over the weekend or Monday latest.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This brings snow sculpting to a new, more dangerous level.

Posted by: CuseFan07 | January 28, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Snow showers on a Saturday works for me.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 28, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@ CuseFan07 - That Snowzilla snow sculpture takes it to a whole new level. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 28, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Loving the NWS at a glance up top...60% chance of lollipops on Wednesday! Even better than the clouds with sharp pointy teeth 2 or so weeks ago.

Posted by: kmill67 | January 28, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

kmill67 - you are too funny. The lollipops are actually NWS computer models outputting "sleet" as the precip type for Wednesday--but you knew that, right? ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

No lollipops from the sky next Wed.
Sleet instead. Probably not even flavored.
Rats.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 28, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

CuseFan07,
wow a multi-media presentation! sort of the "die hard with a vengeance" of snowish sculptures...

kmill67,
i like those lollipops too. i noticed how the cloud has changed from ugly rain-gray to pretty snow-white. now, if only the lollipops can lose their sticks...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Jason, an awesome satellite video of the evolution of the storm. (I would have named the storm SnoSlushApocalypse

As I've noted before, what's most unusual is development of the secondary low which caused the problems behind, not ahead of the primary - something which the sat shows so well.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Camden, I did, but the graphics without text explanation leave room for creativity :)

Posted by: kmill67 | January 28, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there, Walter. I just have a feeling that we'll get all snow. Hopefully, come tomorrow, the models will come into agreement that we'll see a snowstorm.

If only that beautiful, beautiful precip map on the GFS could be all snow :)

Hopefully the snow ratios will be more favorable this time around. I'd like to see 1:20 ratios!

But if those lollipops don't lose their sticks soon; I'll go crazy! An all freezing rain/sleet event would be a true and utter nightmare.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

It's really a shame that some people [on previous threads] have been using the comment section as a way to attack others.

Get a grip! Didn't you ever learn that if you don't have anything kind to say, don't say anything at all??

99% of the people who post on here always follow the guidelines, but there are a select few who post demeaning and downright rude comments whenever someone else's opinion doesn't perfectly match theirs. I've never commented on this issue before, but the name-calling has really gotten annoying.

Maybe they could learn a lesson or two from KRUZ. He isn't a snow lover by any means, but he respects the opinions of others just as I respect his.

It is really just a distraction and I'm glad Jason and the gang are taking steps to put a stop to it.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 28, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The roads are already starting to get slick, and in Eastern Prince William we have some fog as well. Went to Quantico Commissary after taking my 7 yr old to Urgent Care (suspected a broken nose, but was ok). When I left the commissary, I had fog setting in, and the car thermometer went down 3 degrees before I got thru the back gate to US-1.

If you go out tonight, just be aware of the possiblity of ice, be careful, and have fun (yes, you CAN do all 3!). :)

Posted by: southbridgemom | January 28, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

lol, "sleet on a stick"!

Posted by: petworthlad | January 28, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I have 2 dogs and have to go to work some of you snowlovers should be wary of wishing for a lot of snow as some folks had a terriable commute.Other people had no power for days and some had no heat. the other night and do not have to shovel or walk dogs in this weather.
Please think of all of the folks that bad weather effects

Posted by: baileydog1 | January 28, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but wishing for snow did not cause all of the mess on Wednesday. If I had that much power I would be living in a much nicer house and have a personal assistant and chef. Obviously it was a horrible situation for a lot of people, but you can also take the view that it was a lot of fun for snow lovers.

Posted by: redsoxgirl | January 28, 2011 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Folks .I like snow but not what happened the other night. The commute for some was a nightmare. The loss of power and heat for others was also a nightmare. I have to work,shovel, and walk 2 dogs and that mess was a nightmare. People need to think some snow is fine but a lot of snow is like rooting for a hurricane. This is a not an attack at a snowlover as I like snow but think about the bad things that happen in a storm like the other night and the loss of life and it will make you think twice about a storm like this one.

Posted by: baileydog1 | January 28, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Great day of striper fishing at 301 Bridge, snow started about 9:30, just as I started fishing & lasted 3hrs. Fishing was great, caught 72, 19 23-29 lbs & 5 31-35 lbs. Got home & had 2" at my house in NW Spotsy. only an 1" less than Wed.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 28, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I notice one of the lollipops is stabbing the cloud...it's clearly an effort to get the snow out! :o:

If the sticks go and the jawbreakers stay, it's blizzard city. If the jawbreakers go and the STICKS stay, it's six inches of solid ice. This is my official forecast, people. I'm saving everyone a lot of time. So ditch the forecasting and weather models. Remember, jawbreakers = snow. Sticks = ice.

Posted by: NewbreedSE | January 28, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller

Too early to tell if it will be an all rain event. no? It would be nice to see some nice 'moderate' snow. Odds are it won't be like the last (to be named) -- now that was something!!!

Posted by: moo1 | January 28, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller

Posted by: moo1 | January 28, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

cwg,

I know everyone is moving on from the storm on Wed, but we just got power back! I wanted to share a video I took of the light show from pepco's substation collapse in Kensington. It was truly amazing, forgive me if this has already been mentioned in other posts but I havent gotten a chance to read through the hundreds of comments,

Posted by: jaredf | January 28, 2011 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Jared,

Creepy! Reminds me of strange encounters of the third kind. You're lucky you didn't get abducted by little green men.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | January 28, 2011 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else seen the lightning/flashes of light tonight on the horizon? Between 1130-1145 est from College Park..... looking SW I imagine....several bright flashes occurred within 20 minutes.

Posted by: GMorg11 | January 28, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Just courious since im new to the area.HOW much snow/and timing of the event does it take to SHUTDOWN the DC area??

what I mean by shut down is:

Schools closed...
90% of buisness closed( even the Grocery store and gas station are closed)

Almost no one is on the roads except V dot and police..fire..etc...

I was told one of the storms last year was like that for maby 12 hours.

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 28, 2011 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Since when does wishing for snow make it so? How can wishing for snow or enjoying the event make a snow lover liable for the difficulties caused by winter weather?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 29, 2011 12:21 AM | Report abuse

If next weeks BIG GFS storm hits and is indeed mostly ice, its going to be 10 times worse for snow lovers than this past snow we just had!

Here's hoping it is 100% RAIN. Wouldnt it be nice to wash the salt away!?!

If it does indeed mostly ice next week, all i'll be able to do is salt but it will have little effect if that storm is as big as the gfs shows it. Lets hope the warm air scenario not only happens but actually controls the precip this time around.

Posted by: KRUZ | January 29, 2011 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I feel about snow the way i feel about national healthcare....

Only those who want/like the snow should feel its effects of traffic, accidents, downed trees, no electric, etc! Just the same as those who want/like government run healthcare should have to pay for it, not those of us who dont!

But in both cases, we have no choice but to accept them and feel their unfortunate effects :(

Posted by: KRUZ | January 29, 2011 1:16 AM | Report abuse

KRUZ,
wtf?! i get the feeling you're looking for a way to blame snow on obama...

but...we all know that's not logical - i mean there's no connection there. just like it would be preposterous to blame sadaam for 9/11 and then derail the post-9/11 war on islamic jihad by settling the score w/sadaam. oh... nevermind... we did that...

so, to apply your thoughts about health care to iraq: i should be able to deduct the portion of my taxes which have been used support bush's crazy escapade in iraq - since i thought it was a distraction and a terrible idea.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 29, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse