The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:55 PM ET, 01/27/2011

PM Update: Overnight freeze, then light snow

By Ian Livingston

Icy spots tonight into morning as slush turns solid

updated at 11:05 p.m.

It was a decent day for digging out and making that slow return to normal. Thankfully, temperatures were a help. Highs mostly reached the mid-30s and now clouds are rolling in ahead of a weak system passing through tomorrow, which could bring a few more snowflakes and a light accumulation for some during the morning into afternoon.

Through Tonight: Mostly cloudy and chilled (thanks in large to the snowpack). Clouds help keep temperatures up just a bit, so lows fall to the low-to-mid 20s in the suburbs to the upper 20s downtown, which means slushy spot will freeze up and be a hazard tonight into the morning. Some snowflakes are also possible by morning, especially western suburbs.

SchoolCast : (D.C., P.G., and counties to the S&E)
SchoolCast : (Fairfax, Arlington, Montgomery, Howard and counties to the N&W)

Tomorrow (Friday): A weak clipper system passing through currently looks to take an 'ok' track for a little snow here from early-to-mid morning (west) to early-to-mid afternoon (east/south), though the daytime timing limits the accumulation potential due to filtered sun shining through cloudy skies, temperatures trying to rise above freezing, and a potential mix with rain. Still, there's some risk for accumulation up to about a 1/2", mainly on existing snowpack, but a light coating can't be ruled out on roads if snow is briefly heavy enough. Highs should reach the mid-30s, maybe some upper 30s later in the day.

See David Streit's forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Name the Storm: No, not tomorrow's dusting to half-inch potential. But yesterday's thumping of rain, sleet, snow and thunder. Leave your suggestions in the comments section below, and later this evening tomorrow we'll put up a poll asking you to vote on a selection of the suggestions received. (As we've mentioned before, we promise not to name every storm for the rest of time, but it seems warranted for the biggest and highest impact. Anyone caught in yesterday's afternoon/evening commute knows just how high impact this storm was.)

Storm sets records: The 1.52" liquid equivalent at National was a record for the date, as was the 1.31" liquid at Dulles. Baltimore-Washington set records for both liquid and snowfall at 1.82" and 7.8" respectively. Further north, the storm helped catapult New York City, Newark, Hartford and others to their snowiest January on record. The nearly 57" of snow in Hartford this month is also their snowiest calendar month ever.

By Ian Livingston  | January 27, 2011; 3:55 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: And the awards for 'Best Snow Comments' go to...
Next: Forecast: Some snow showers today. Flurry Sat?

Comments

For the name, +1 for Thumper

Posted by: davidcc | January 27, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I definitely have to go with Snowprise! for yesterday's storm.

Posted by: nsogkgb | January 27, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Thumperstorm

Posted by: jimfergusonj | January 27, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I definitely have to go with Snowprise! for yesterday's storm.

Posted by: nsogkgb | January 27, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hi all. I've been a long time follower of CWG, but have never been able to post because everytime I tried it would crash my system. I'm going to try again in hopes that some patch will have fixed it. I think Snlock would be a good name for this one, short for snow gridlock.
I want to add my thanks to you guys. Because I follow your blog, I suggested to my husband on Monday, when I read of this possibility, that he switch his telework days from Tues/Thurs to Wed/Thurs, which he did. This allowed him to be and efficient government employee while watching the flakes flutter merrily yesterday. Thanks again CWG... I recommend you to everyone. You are truly committed and awesome!

Posted by: cyinstafford | January 27, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

A blog in Reston coined the phrase "Thundersnowprisingpocalypsmageddon." I like it.

Posted by: pencilname | January 27, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Snowlock

Posted by: getjiggly1 | January 27, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I think I will have to suggest the storm be named "Sue Palkapalooza".

Posted by: kosumosu | January 27, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

How are the road conditions in Arlington? I am thinking they are probably fine and school will start on time tomorrow, but I'd like some info from somebody whose in the area. Thanks in advance :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 27, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think SnOMG captures it well.

Posted by: Rjmw | January 27, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

My suggestion is "Slushpocalypse", but I think that "Thundersnow" seems to be the most popular

Posted by: artandcarly | January 27, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I like Thumper as a name for this storm.

Really didn't get too much here in Northern Calvert. The corgi still has ground clearance!

Posted by: SubRosa2 | January 27, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thundersnow will probably get the most votes, but as a CWG "inside joke" my pick is Thumper.

Posted by: Duodenum | January 27, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thumpocalypse!

Posted by: paperball | January 27, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Great job with the forecast and keeping us well prepared and informed. Question: I have a 7 am flight out of National tomorrow. With the predicted re-freeze, do you anticipate any problems driving to the airport in the AM?

Posted by: LeilaL | January 27, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Thumpocalypse!

Posted by: paperball | January 27, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Love SnOMG.

Posted by: redskirt_ | January 27, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

PEPCan't 2011

ThumpDump, 2011

WTF, 2011

Those are my top 3.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | January 27, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the duplicate post - browser trouble.

Posted by: paperball | January 27, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

commuteageddon !!!

Posted by: jeffreymays | January 27, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Snowmergency" because everybody flocked home at 3pm to avoid but alas it evolved to "Snowlock."

Posted by: SanDieganLostinDC | January 27, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sticking with Dvorak9's "Thumpty Dumpty."

Posted by: dottie_b | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ Sue Palkapalooza! I'm sure Brad would love that one!

I think my favorite is Gridlocalypse (courtesy of @lowrieses); it will help us to remember just how much gridlock this storm created.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Trafficjamageddon!

Posted by: FultonStSnowLover | January 27, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Storm name: Stormstill (like standstill)

Posted by: BRC6C | January 27, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I like the name 'Thumper'.

I got a laugh when some said "Here comes Thumper!"

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 27, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

CARnage

Posted by: nymomma | January 27, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

There are really only two options...

SLOWMAGEDDON

SLOWPOCALYPSE

Posted by: joshwilcox | January 27, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

the foursquare checkin for baltimore was "ThunderSnowcalypse"

Posted by: gothaggis1 | January 27, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I love commuteaggedon from above. But based on the consistency, especially the grey stuff in the streets, I go with snowarrhea

Posted by: juliusc91 | January 27, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

National Towing Company Day. :-)

Posted by: saraestewart | January 27, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Snunder Storm

Posted by: ADmom | January 27, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Clusterslush

Posted by: esnodgra | January 27, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: juliusc91 | January 27, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I like "Thundersnowprise".

Has anyone been out sledding today? I'm headed out after telecommuting, hoping conditions are favorable for some fun! According to my friends it is childish, but the little kid in me couldn't be more excited to zoom down the hill in rock creek park again. Enjoy, everyone!

Posted by: snowbunny370 | January 27, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"Thumpageddon" or my leftover suggestion from last year, "Pepcopalypse"

Posted by: DOG3521 | January 27, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

+1 for CARnage

+1 for Slowpocalypse

Posted by: lrpfeifer | January 27, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Snowdammerung because of the dramatic thunder effects.

Posted by: 2IPAs | January 27, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Given that the storm's biggest impact was primarily on those who drive long distances in their cars, not those who live close to where they work and use public transport, "Suburban Sprawler," "Artery Choker," or "Commuter's Worst Nightmare."

Posted by: sciencegrrl | January 27, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Clusterslush

Posted by: esnodgra | January 27, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Travalanche (Travel + Avalanche)

Posted by: mbj3j | January 27, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I recommend, "Thorgasm"

Posted by: lkburgoyne1 | January 27, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Snowprise" gives the false impression that, if one was paying attention to forecasts and acted accordingly (like leaving the office early or teleworking), one still got ambushed by the weather. How about "Satansnow"? Or "Chuck Todd" for his whining about traffic, mindless of what happened to thousands of evening hourly workers who got on a limping subway to find buses off the road by 930pm.

Posted by: bigolpoofter | January 27, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@snowlover2 and LeilaL:

Arlington is clear and moving. Side streets were plowed twice today and there should not be anything to prevent the schools from opening on time.
As for DCA, the only issue will be that ramp off of Route 1, which may still be icy that early in the morning.

Posted by: StevenMark | January 27, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I recommend, "Thorgasm"

Posted by: lkburgoyne1 | January 27, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

SnowWayDidThatJustHappen.

Posted by: arosie | January 27, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hi all,
I love CWG! We got stuck getting home from West Falls Church Metro's parking lot to our house in Tysons Corner. I kid you not - it took 5 hours and 15 minutes to go a distance of 5.7 miles. Something that should have taken 15, maybe 20 minutes max in traffic.

Anyway, with that - the name has to reflect the intense traffic jams, abandoned cars and sheer gridlock. I like the Snow-lock suggestion above. I also like: SNOW-JAM...just because it sounds more impactful than the snow-lock.

I'd never heard the term 'thundersnow' until yesterday but definitely that seemed to be the buzz word of the day.

Thanks!
Sahar

Posted by: saharJT | January 27, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

The great grid-snow, The great gridlock snow.

Also gang i have a flight out of Dulles tomorrow morning, will there be delays?

Thanks - Dan from Centreville

Posted by: snowlover31 | January 27, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Escape for Thundersnow

Posted by: cassidymullen | January 27, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

The great grid-snow, The great gridlock snow.

Also gang i have a flight out of Dulles tomorrow morning, will there be delays?

Thanks - Dan from Centreville

Posted by: snowlover31 | January 27, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

(correction) Escape From Thundersnow

Posted by: cassidymullen | January 27, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

My suggesttion for the name is: "WhyDidn'tYouListenToCWGAndStayOffTheRoadsFrom4-7LikeTheyToldYouTo,Morons."
Or, you could omit the "morons," but it's true.

Posted by: StevenMark | January 27, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

ooh or how about: SNIDLOCK?

Posted by: saharJT | January 27, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Or GangBuster since the CWG seemed to be the only folks calling this thing right.

Posted by: mbj3j | January 27, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It was defined primarily by it's effect - the commuting nightmare. Call it simply "The Commuter Storm" of 2011. No mistaking which storm that is.

Posted by: rowland1 | January 27, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I've been calling this storm "thumper" in my head since late Tuesday, when the phrase "thump of snow" come up somewhere on this blog.
The trees sure are thumped. They are thumped right to %#@*%*&.

Look at that graphic for tomorrow; the classic white cloud with snow image. Snowlovers, we are in the zone.

"Some snowflakes are also possible by morning, especially western suburbs. "
Hmmmm....such things always bear watching.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Max Gridlock: Beyond Thundersnow

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The great Big ClusterThump

Posted by: jrodfoo | January 27, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Snowstall 2011

Posted by: THIZZY1030 | January 27, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Thank you CWG for the proper warnings yesterday. Based on your forecast, I left Bethesda at 2:00 (instead of the normal 5:00) and made it to Germantown before 3:00. You saved me!

Posted by: rowland1 | January 27, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

LOVE CLUSTERSLUSH! Because it truly was a huge cluster.

Posted by: NatinFallsChurch | January 27, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Ditch the Car Nite '11

Stay warm folks!

Posted by: eabgarnet | January 27, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

ThunderThump

Posted by: MaxPowerDJ | January 27, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Thumpocalypse.

Posted by: angelicat | January 27, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

ThunderThump

Posted by: MaxPowerDJ | January 27, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Gridlocalypse! (But I like some of the others, too).

Posted by: lowrieses | January 27, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"Some snowflakes are also possible by morning, especially western suburbs. "
Hmmmm....such things always bear watching.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 4:38 PM
-------------------------------------

So does Thursday's storm.

Hopefully if that does materialize, it isn't this heavy, wet stuff that is ruining the trees in my neighborhood. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, it's also hard on my back since we have a very long driveway to shovel. The neighbors were out of town, so I couldn't borrow their snowblower.

I love snow, but I prefer it to be light & fluffy. I also prefer that it doesn't trap people inside their cars on the GW Parkway for 13 hrs.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

So it wasn't the Knickerbocker but I think it was the Knickerknotter as so many knickers got knotted up for so many happy/angry/frustrated reasons.

But Thumper also works.

Posted by: lilymama | January 27, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Clusterslush was my favorite from the Facebook posts, hah.

Posted by: skysplitter | January 27, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Slushmageddon

Posted by: AdmiralX | January 27, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I saw "Clusterslush" at another blog, which I think is perfect.

Posted by: DCChicago | January 27, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Thunderslush

Posted by: chrisduckworth | January 27, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Though I'm partial to SNOWPRISE!! given what happened

Posted by: AdmiralX | January 27, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Snowstopper

Posted by: KDaniel1 | January 27, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

How about SNOWDOWN?

Posted by: DianaJeaninArlington | January 27, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Max Gridlock: Beyond Thundersnow FTW!

Posted by: SnoCoLoCo | January 27, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

BobMiller - Mother nature decrees that we have to take the bitter with the sweet in these situations.
You aren't the only one hurting from heftin' today.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

For your consideration:

SNOWTENSITY Version 1.52

Posted by: bodyiq | January 27, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Storm name: Snowdown (traffic slowdown, downed power lines, snow came down fast, etc.)

Re: next Tuesday's possible storm: During her 4 p.m. slot, Veronica J. said it could be signficant. What's the take on this one?

Re: Sue Palka, she's a very good weather forecaster w/ a warm, friendly on-camera presence. We're very fortunate to have Sue (and Veronica J.) in DC.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 27, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

snOPM

or

Snowgestion

Posted by: DLO1975 | January 27, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I like:

Snowjam
Snowlock
sNOwarning

Posted by: dantebouchot | January 27, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I vote for ClusterSlush!

Posted by: lauraonthego | January 27, 2011 5:04 PM | Report abuse

SnowJam because of the massive traffic jam it brought - 13 hours to get home for some???

or

ThumpityDumpity for the thunder and heavy snow amounts

Posted by: rwalker66 | January 27, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Love Knickerknotter, suggested by lilymama! Thumper and Snoprise tie for second.

Posted by: --sg | January 27, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Gridlocalypse, with Clusterslush as a close second.
So many funny suggestions!

Posted by: kathyb39 | January 27, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Gridsnopolas????

BTW-
A lot of snow here west of Leesburg. And it is very, very heavy. Had we not had someone show up today we would not be able to get out.
I am wondering if anyone else is still stuck because of long driveways and no plows to get them out??

Posted by: moo1 | January 27, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

18Z GFS still likes the storm Wed-Thurs next week. Stay tuned!

Posted by: bdeco | January 27, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL yeah, Gridlocalypse would definitely be my #2 vote.

Posted by: angelicat | January 27, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I vote for snowprise since so many people didn’t seem to get that it was going to snow again yesterday.

Posted by: kmill67 | January 27, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"Getting Snowwhere"!

Posted by: DCChino | January 27, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

According to NWS, Central Park has had 56.1" so far this winter. Exactly the same total DCA reported for all of last winter.

One more name suggestion for yesterday's storm:
Snowstopper.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 27, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

ClusterSlush!! SnOPMgate???

Posted by: SPS1 | January 27, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I think we should call it a "Junker Thumper", in honor of Wes getting "excited" and the Thump we got.

Posted by: annapyr | January 27, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Pandesnownium!

Posted by: WM2009grad | January 27, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

The only reason I couldn't go for "Clusterslush", is because we didn't have any slush out here! The Max Gridlock name is awesome!!! If not that, then Snowmotion.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | January 27, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I find it surprising that some of the local mets are already talking about next week's **potential** storm. Doug Kammerer said, "Mid next week, we may be looking at yet another snowstorm". Normally they don't talk about stuff like that this far in advance. Hopefully the temps will be VERY cold so that whatever snow we do get is light & fluffy.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Looking at this weekend & next week, does anyone think this winter has turned a corner in terms of snow drought? The interesting thing about "the trend is your friend" is that sometimes, your friends can change. At some point, the trend is not there any more.

Posted by: petworthlad | January 27, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Gridlocalypse is brilliant.

Posted by: Dexterinreston | January 27, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

It was a total SNOWGLOMERATION!

Posted by: tambouret17 | January 27, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Gridlocalypse!

Posted by: Dexterinreston | January 27, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2

Yes, lets hope that we get fluffy snow. And that it also comes Thursday so I don't miss it while in Florida.

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 27, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

SNO-one told me!?

Sno-it's-not (it's gonna rain)

Posted by: mudbucket | January 27, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Or

Snow...what?

Posted by: mudbucket | January 27, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller, Doug Hill was very circumspect about next week's snow, since it's still five days away. As noted in a previous comment, Veronica said it had the potential to be significant.

I also vote for light and fluffy. Not into 18-hour power outages (no heat, no cooking, no hot water and of course no internet). My iPod stayed tune to 103.5 to get the news.

I do feel for those folks who were stuck in traffic for many hours or showed up at Metro stations (e.g., West Falls Church) only to find the busses weren't running or were very late. Privations are relative.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 27, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Thumper Cars!

Posted by: aaf314 | January 27, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Or

2011 Slowbacle

Posted by: tambouret17 | January 27, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

ThumperLock

Posted by: ajfishman1 | January 27, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Clusterslush! Love it.

Posted by: jenniej | January 27, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

APS is closed tomorrow!!!!! VERY surprised!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 27, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

STOP ALL THE NAME-CALLING

Posted by: tlpeople | January 27, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Gridlocalypse (suggested by a couple people above) is my favorite storm name suggestion so far.

In other news, we stayed below freezing today in the Blue Ridge Mtns east of Front Royal and I tried some front yard skiing.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 27, 2011 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I would call yesterday's storm: "The Great Snow Jam"

Posted by: tbs24 | January 27, 2011 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Another vote for Thumper. Man, did we have a great day today.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | January 27, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Looks like theres a chance for snow everyday/night next week. Looks like the potential for more accidents, power outages, deaths, etc, etc due to snow. And just think, there are people out there who actually like this stuff?.... Crazies!

Posted by: KRUZ | January 27, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the tvs at the gym just now, and ALL of the Baltimore stations are hyping the potential for snow both tomorrow and next week. Some of them were putting the potential as high as 50% (!!). I guess they were all reprimanded about yesterday, but wow, that seems early for a storm that doesn't have agreement on all of the models.

Posted by: bachaney | January 27, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

How about Whallopaloozoa?
Otherwise I like CARnage and Slowpocalypse.

Posted by: gracenotec | January 27, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

The "Traffic and Weather Together!" storm.

Posted by: violindan | January 27, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1: If you watch the TV weather clowns as entertainment, fine if Sue, Veronica, et al have a nice camera manner and are attractive.

But in terms of getting people accurate weather information, forget it. Either they hype up minute amounts of snow (usually) or they totally downplay a serious situation, as they did this time.

Problem is most people are taking them seriously rather than as entertainment. And apparently OPM and the COGs are among them. Or people all over the DC metro area would've been home safe in their houses at 4PM yesterday rather than getting stuck in their cars for many,many hours!

Posted by: concepcion611 | January 27, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

this is a side bar and apologize

someone the other day was referencing deer grazing longer out west and the geese heading east for just rain. Today saw some squirrels "getting to know" each other today. Is this early or normal time frame? In essence any indicator of an early or late spring?

Again sorry for the sidebar just find all the aspects of weather and forecasting fascinating

Posted by: VAresident2 | January 27, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@ VAresident2, I think it's because Valentine's Day is around the corner.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 27, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

snowlover2

thanks for the laugh!

Posted by: VAresident2 | January 27, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Sno-pression

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I support Thunderthump. That "th" sound just rolls off your tongue and it makes the name sound ominous (just like the storm): THUNDERTHUMP! (said with a Norwegian accent, like Thor the god of thunder).

The name incorporates all the defining characteristics of the storm.

The "thunder" part accounts for all of the thunder and lightning that occurred.

The "thump" part accounts for the blow this storm had on the metro region, from the nightmarish traffic conditions to the downed trees and blown transformers.

LONG LIVE THUNDERTHUMP!

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 27, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Storm name? ThunderStuck

Posted by: SCinVA | January 27, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Love Gridlocalpyse & Thumpty Dumpty. LOL!

Posted by: paperball | January 27, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I like ClusterSlush a lot and SlushHour SnowDown (a la rush hour slowdown)

Posted by: CuseFan07 | January 27, 2011 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Snow-way Home

Posted by: lyssa919 | January 27, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I love seeing all the stranded motorists and hearing their stories! Im here LOL at these people! These are probably snow lovers who paid the price for their love! hahahahaha!

And hundreds of thousands of ppl without power?.... Hey, it may be cold inside, but at least you can go outside and play with your beloved snow LOL... You got it!

Posted by: KRUZ | January 27, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

TheLongWalk

Posted by: KPosty | January 27, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

slush-hour

Posted by: jps300 | January 27, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

TheLongestYard

Posted by: KPosty | January 27, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

HOTEL SNOWED-IN-WERENT-YA

I can't go with the thunder concept since only a very small percentage of the area heard or saw the thunder and lightning

Posted by: shenvalley | January 27, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

ClusterStuck

Posted by: KPosty | January 27, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Stop already with criticizing snow lovers on a weather blog!

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 27, 2011 6:41 PM | Report abuse

HOTEL SNOWED-IN-WERENT-YA

Posted by: shenvalley | January 27, 2011 6:41 PM | Report abuse

SnoadRage

Posted by: Fish_Vandalism | January 27, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about a snow storm name.

But there are plenty of themes for the storm:

I prayed for snow but all I got was this tree on my house

Who needs electricity when we have SNOW!

Snow lovers stranded

Snow lovers, left out in the cold

Who needs electricity when we have SNOW!

Snow hates FORD vehicles: Found On Roadside Dead

Posted by: KRUZ | January 27, 2011 6:46 PM | Report abuse

With regards to thunder, I spent a few hours using a pole to whack snow from my numerous evergreens to lessen the damage, and the whole time the sky was flashing blue and green (might have been transformers blowing?) and there was some thunder and a few flashes of lightning early on

Posted by: KPosty | January 27, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

"Bombothumper!"

Posted by: brookeenglish | January 27, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

petworthlad, historically I think the latter stages of a mod/strong nina winter tend to have the most favorable snow patterns. This winter is not really classic nina in all ways probably because of the continued tendency for north atlantic blocking. You know, this last storm was not very easy for us to get (though computer models should get a lot of props on their placement of the upper level features for days and even a week ahead) but it came at the perfect time of year -- when avgs are the coldest. So, maybe it will be considered "bonus" when all is said and done.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 6:48 PM | Report abuse

First choice is Thumper.

-------------------------------------------

The "Traffic and Weather Together!" storm.

Posted by: violindan | January 27, 2011 6:08 PM

That one's good, too.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 27, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

KRUZ, as a snow lover I was glad not to be driving yesterday even after getting on the Metro soaked then being stuck for half an hour for smoke in some station. One long-timer on the weather boards follows these things like none other and ended up "missing" the whole thing stuck in his car for 8 hours. He's already onto the next though...

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Variation on a suggestion above: Snowbacle!

The name will remind us of the bungled mess most of the area found itself in.

Administrative calls + commuting headaches + icy roads + weight of the snow + power outages + other-than-CWG forecasts + timing of the heavy onset snow during rush hour = Snowbacle.

Posted by: snowcat | January 27, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

VAResident2, according to Mammals of the Carolinas, Virginia & Maryland, gray squirrels produce 2 litters per year, mating in midwinter and in June... so what you saw sounds normal. Baby squirrels are born after 45 days.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 27, 2011 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Brakin' 2: Brakelight Boogaloo

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

spgass1

thank you very much for the info.

Posted by: VAresident2 | January 27, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

CWG folks......On ABC7 Weather segment tonight Doug Hill mentioned the possibility of a big storm next Tuesday night/Wednesday time period. CBS Evening New and ABC World News Tonight mentioned the same potential storm for the same time frame. Could you guys give your preliminary take on the storm for that time period. Could it be a stronger storm that what we experienced yesterday evening? Thanks

Posted by: Novalife49 | January 27, 2011 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Whatever snow we get tomorrow will likely be trivial, as it should. No more piling on one storm right after another like last winter, please!

But for next week, weather.com says a "Light wintry mix" for my area on Tuesday and "snow showers" a possibility on Wednesday. Doesn't sound like too much, but I remember some big storms (including at least one of last years) being forecast as "snow showers" closer to the event. (And the highs for both days are currently supposed to be sub-freezing.)

While this will probably change umpty-ten times over the next six days, the Feb. 1/2 GFS shows an odd (for this winter) pattern--a massive wave of precipitation for this area and some points south (especially downstate VA), but much less to the northeast. Time to give NY/NJ/New England a break and start hitting DC/MD/VA?

Posted by: mkarns | January 27, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Quick note: We'll hold off on the name the storm poll until tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Snow and Ice by the Dashboard Light

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Rush Hour 2011: Thundermix!

Posted by: kperl | January 27, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I kind of like SnowJam, its short and direct, kind of like the storm, and reminds me of toe jam, which makes it kind of funny.

regardless, I think yesterday would have made been a great opportunity for a CWG ad campaign. im thinking people stuck in their cars saying "Wow, I should have listened to CWG!!!" Hmm, on second thought, maybe they wouldnt have been very cooperative or enthusiastic (or known what CWG was). will have to do a re-enactment.

Posted by: apeirond | January 27, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank You OPM for the generous 2 hour early releases-POCOLYPSE?

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

We lost power for 12 hours but have it back now. PLEASE BE CAREFUL if you do not have power. In Prince George's County there has already been 5 house fires related to this weather event, 4 of which involved homes with no power. If you use candles, please do not leave them unattended.

Posted by: 1Reader | January 27, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

SNOW.me.the.way.to go.home

Posted by: Rjmw | January 27, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Rush Hour 2011: Thundermix!

Posted by: kperl | January 27, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Loving all the names! Brian, you are coming up with some good ones.
Anyone heard from Walter yet? Looking forward to whatever he must be working on.

Posted by: kathyb39 | January 27, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Novalife49, right now next week looks more like an "overruning" situation with a juicy low traversing the south and nice high pressure to the north with us in the middle. There is fairly good agreement that it is possible. I think it's been a while (several years) since we've had an event like that currently advertised.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Snarlmageddon

Posted by: crewpay | January 27, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

SNor.Washington.Parkway

Posted by: Rjmw | January 27, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Snarlmageddon

Posted by: crewpay | January 27, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

concepcion611 & JerryFloyd1,

There sure have been a lot of [negative] comments posted on here about Sue Palka the past few days and I have to say, I agree with them (for the most part, anyway.)

Sure, she's fun to watch and I'm sure she's a very nice person. But, she can never seem to make up her mind. Sometimes, she over-hypes storms and sometimes vice versa. This storm, she under-predicted, as did many other mets.

But to think that even on last night's 10pm news, she STILL made it sound like no big deal, now that's just unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I recall her saying, "accumulations here in NW are around 3 - 4", and that's a pretty good representation of the metro area. Seriously, Sue?

Keep in mind, she said that as thousands of people were stranded on area roadways for 10+ hours in a raging snowstorm. Most anyone DC & West got buried in 6"+; many of whom are still without power as I type this.

Last winter, however, I remember her being overly excited about snow, snow, snow; even calling DCA a "can of worms" for its low totals and she was pretty much on board with everyone else. I thought for sure she was a snow-lover then.

I don't know what's up with her this winter, but she needs to get with it. Once again, I stress, I enjoy watching her because of her charisma and all, but just not during major weather events like this. For most of this storm, I relied on CWG, along with Doug Hill and Bob Ryan. Quite frankly, I think that's all I need to get the real forecast.

As for Veronica Johnson, well that could be a whole different rant, so I won't voice my opinion of her.

Long story short: I like Sue Palka as a person, just not as a forecaster.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

No school for MCPS! 6-day weekend all the way!

Thanks again though CWG for all the updates you provided before and throughout the storm, it really saved us from a probable 4+ hour drive to Rockville =D Anyways, I still look forward to next week and whatever mother nature might throw at us!

Posted by: Hockeyfan28 | January 27, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The apples should be higher for N/W. Moco, fairfax, and loudoun already closed :)

Posted by: samdman95 | January 27, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, CWG, what do you mean, "it's been a while since we've had event like that currently advertised"? Type of precipitation? Length? Strength? How far out it's being 'seen' by models?

Posted by: superseiyan | January 27, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm no walter, but thought i'd share my first foray into creating something with my nephews that was not a snowman.

Posted by: crazer | January 27, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

crazer....awesome!

Posted by: kathyb39 | January 27, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't think I've seen this posted yet...Prince William County schools are closed Friday on Code Red.

Posted by: meta2 | January 27, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

s'NOw hole

Posted by: arcdfire | January 27, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

KRUZ! I missed you! I mean, I AM a snow lover, but the snow haters seemed to disappear last night :-( (You had an excuse, obviously, but where was ThinkSpring???!?!)

I approve of "Snow and Ice by the Dashboard Lights."

Posted by: megamuphen | January 27, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@hockeyfan

6 day weekend? wed + thu + fri + sat + sun =5

or was it closed tuesday also? or you have a premonition about Monday?

maybe we need to re-open those schools (kidding, kidding)

Posted by: apeirond | January 27, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

superseiyan, more in the sense of a feed of moisture running up and over cold high pressure to the north rather than a big coastal. The Feb 2003 (Presidents Day II) storm is of course a top-end example of that type of situation. Right now there is some look of long duration, at least periods of lighter activity before the main batch which would then want to last like 24 hours. It's not *that* far out there at this point, but maybe that's coming off the recent general success of computer guidance rather than the 'failures' of previous storms.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Ian, so what does that mean? I realize you can't talk specifics yet, but in general that rare overrunning produces ____ for us?

Timing couldn't be worse - I have friends flying in on Wed. :(

Posted by: rumbly45 | January 27, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Loss-of-Power-Ageddon

Power never blinked last year, and we lost it for 22 hours for this one. More than during Isabel, and colder too.

Posted by: sage234 | January 27, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

"HammerTime"!

Posted by: meta2 | January 27, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Timing couldn't be worse - I have friends flying in on Wed. :(

Posted by: rumbly45 | January 27, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

crazer - very impressive!

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | January 27, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Eek, double post! Sorry.

And Feb 03 is NOT what I wanted to hear. Maybe I'll suggest we cancel the visit here and head to Key West. Ha...

Posted by: rumbly45 | January 27, 2011 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Walter- Is it a rabbit?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@apeirond, Fairfax Co school students will be having a 7 day weekend due to already scheduled teacher work days 1/31 and 2/1.

Posted by: kirom | January 27, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@crazer-nice Teddy Snow!

Posted by: kirom | January 27, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I like JerryFloyd1's idea: Snowdown

Great one Mr. Floyd!

Posted by: celt1 | January 27, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@rumbly45

I know, timing couldn't be worse. I have a flight from back here Wednesday night. Hoping if we get the storm it will hold off until Thursday so I don't miss it or if not just not happen at all.

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 27, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

rumbly45, more often than not any storm has the best shot at being light to moderate or less. ;) I would not even be confident the storm stays how it looks right now though it has been somewhat consistent thus far. This last one (to be named) briefly looked similar and there is a definite tendency for storms to want to be coastals lately. Though this could ultimately be both overrunning then coastal (or neither). Right now the models have been spitting out up to around 1" liquid as snow but quickly less as you head north. We'll see... very early to even think about numbers.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Just read that a man in Carroll County died from shoveling snow. Terrible.

Posted by: 1Reader | January 27, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

if we get another one of these miserable storms next week, I will do whatever it takes to increase my carbon footprint, and transform global warming from a fashionable Upper West Side theory, into an actual, everyday reality

Posted by: tgt111 | January 27, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Whatever you name it maybe should pay homage to the bizarre and spectacular phenomenon we witnessed in the Kensington/Wheaton/Silver Spring area last night. Silent lightning started happening and then the entire sky light up like daylight and stayed lit for what seemed like 10-15 seconds. We thought we were in a sci-fi movie. Happened 2 or 3 times within a few minutes time. Never seen anything like it!

Posted by: B2O2 | January 27, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

You guys can call it what you want...I know whatever it was was definitely "sNOw Joke!!!"

Posted by: NE_DC-native | January 27, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NE_DC-native | January 27, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Walter, what kind snow masterpiece have you created this time?

We're all very anxious to see it!!!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: B2O2 | January 27, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Just read that a man in Carroll County died from shoveling snow. Terrible.

Posted by: 1Reader | January 27, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

call it thumper

Posted by: tleckey15 | January 27, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of next Wed., it's Groundhog Day, and the NWS is calling for clouds in Punxsutawney, PA, meaning that ol' Phil might not see his shadow and spring could be coming soon, according to tradition.

However, it's also supposed to be in the low 20s there with possible snow showers, so he might go scurrying back into his warm hole anyway and hibernate for six more weeks.

Posted by: mkarns | January 27, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

" Fairfax Co school students will be having a 7 day weekend due to already scheduled teacher work days 1/31 and 2/1."

and if you add in next week's storms, 8? 9? 10?...

Posted by: apeirond | January 27, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Walter,

What snow sculpture masterpiece have you created this time?

We're all very anxious to see it!

Keep up the good work, and who knows, you could become famous some day! ;-)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

and if you add in next week's storms, 8? 9? 10?...

Posted by: apeirond | January 27, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

ACPS announced a 2 hour delay. Think they're hedging on throwing in the towel for Friday because Monday is a teacher work day.

I like "Snoprise". Because thanks to the TV clown mets it was for a lot of people--and not in the good sense.

Posted by: concepcion611 | January 27, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Ian.......

Thanks for explaining next week's potential weather maker.

Posted by: Novalife49 | January 27, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@Sue Palka criticizers, I didn't see/hear anything on her 5 p.m. appearances last evening that led me to me think she wasn't on top of the storm.

I can't address what happened after 7:30 p.m. because that's when we lost juice.

I've heard a couple of male OCMs praised on CWG that I think are dreadful. But I'd rather communicate my feelings privately, rather than bashing professionals (or other individuals) on Internet chat forums.

But as for DCA being the official measuring station for DC weather records: baaaaad!. Using DCA numbers in the Jan-Feb 2011 issue of Weatherwise's 2009-10 snow roundup, with no mention of IAD, provided a very incomplete picture of what occured here last winter.

For accurate, solidly researched DC/Baltimore regional coverage of 2009-10, the "Snowmaggedon" book is far and away the best source.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 27, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: concepcion611 | January 27, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Max Gridlock: Beyond Thundersnow FTW! +1!!!

Posted by: quinalty | January 27, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@Celt1, thanks for the HT; DianaJeaninArlington suggested Snowdown, while I was typing my post re: this name. So I was snow to the punch.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 27, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"Snow Big Deal"

Posted by: nosnow1000 | January 27, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

CWG: I noticed some of the same lightning as B2O2, and I've seen it before in previous thundersnow events around here. I wonder if the amount of reflective snow in the air causes the lightning to seem like it comes from different directions, and possibly reflects it around for a longer time?

Posted by: petworthlad | January 27, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

First, many of the names on this board are GREAT.
It was "snoprise", b/c the CWG telegraphed this days out, and then yesterday predicted it spot-on. Being from the Northeast my wife suggests:
SNOPIDITY
because, this is just ridiculous. In NE-US, such storms are so common that school *may* have been delayed today - and we pick this name b/c people who waited (in spite of numerous warnings) until the snow started to fall were just "snopid". Finally, the esteemed OPM director in his infinite witlessness sent everybody to work today - to perform "road slalom" with all of the abandoned cars. Good times in NoVA.

Posted by: fedemployee2238 | January 27, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

@ JerryFloyd1: I think the funniest thing about almost all the TV mets today is that, suddenly, the models are their best friends, and they're talking about next Tues/Weds as if it's an actual possibility.

Posted by: petworthlad | January 27, 2011 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Storm name: "Going Snowhere" (for the excruciating gridlock).

Posted by: dkosnett | January 27, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Storm name: "Going Snowhere" (for the excruciating gridlock).

Posted by: dkosnett | January 27, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Storm name: "Going Snowhere" (for the excruciating gridlock).

Posted by: dkosnett | January 27, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the triple post. Balky laptop.

Posted by: dkosnett | January 27, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

+1 for clusterslush!

Posted by: msgumby | January 27, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

B2O2, I'm not sure if it's the case but that could be a transformer exploding. Sometimes they will flash out for a longer period and if it's far away it could look like lightning. I was out after the biggest bands started collapsing (and at the point where we had quite a bit of snow) and I saw several flashes that lasted longer than a second that I don't believe were lightning based on radar at the time.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1

I can definitely agree with you (and Sue Palka) on the issue of DCA being the official weather reporting station for DC.

Quite frankly, I find it embarrassingly and utterly disgusting that DCA is supposed to represent Washington DC. Last winter, during the blizzards, parts of downtown Washington picked up AT LEAST 24" while DCA got a measly 16"??!! What's up with that??

I still think they record their weather data on the tarmac, right behind jet engines...not to mention those warm breezes coming off the Potomac. Even in those conditions; their totals seem low.

I don't know why they don't move it so say, the National Mall, Lafayette park, etc. I absolutely hated the fact that several national newscasts (i.e. NBC Nightly News) used DCA totals when reporting on the storm last year. That doesn't give their viewers the whole picture.

I wonder how many calls from irate snow lovers the NWS receives every year?? Thousands?? Well, I wouldn't be surprised. I think someone needs to start a petition to get the Washington DC reporting station moved...AND QUICK!!

I can tell ya one thing: I live near IAD and last winter, I measured 31.9" of snow during Snowmageddon (just a bit less than IAD's 32"), so I KNOW they aren't making anything up.

DCA's warmer temps and lower snow totals will never cease to amaze me. Next blizzard, maybe I should go down there myself and take a measurement right outside the airport and I would bet my car it would be higher than the "official" measurement at DCA.

CWG, why hasn't the NWS changed the official reporting station yet? I've heard some local mets on TV mention that they were considering moving it into the District.

Anyway, sorry for all the rants tonight - - this is the last one. I promise :)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Snow White and the 7 hour commute.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 27, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Flake 'n' Brake 2011

Posted by: klik-klik | January 27, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Flake 'n' Brake 2011

Posted by: klik-klik | January 27, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

@ JerryFloyd1

It doesn't matter if you're on top of the storm while it's going on. You've got to be on top of it 48 hours in advance. Fact of the matter is a day before the storm she told everyone to expect around 1-3 inches, and we got that much in an hour. The forecast models were in agreement 48 hours prior to the storm showing heavy snow for our area that could fall 1-2"/Hr. There's no excuse. You have to at least let people know there is a good chance for significant snow. Especially when it's expected to come through right during rush hour.

Posted by: MVPlaya8120 | January 27, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The Great Slushie

Posted by: nlcaldwell | January 27, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Your friendly neighborhood 911 dispatcher checking in, after finally arriving home around 7 tonight. I'm too tired to think of a name for this storm!

My shift got held over last night until 11 PM when most of the night shift people had finally made it in (with anywhere from 4 to 7 hour drives being the norm). The traffic conditions were still so bad that most of us elected to stay put at work. We went upstairs to bunk down wherever we could, mostly on cots that are stored on site. Needless to say, nobody slept very well.

This morning we hit the floor again around 5:30 AM to start relieving the night crew, and worked another day shift. Now we are off for the weekend! And I am NOT gonna leave my house tomorrow!

zzzzzz.....

Posted by: natsncats | January 27, 2011 9:16 PM | Report abuse

The Snow-muter (like The Commuter)

Posted by: jb41477 | January 27, 2011 9:21 PM | Report abuse

>I'm no walter, but thought i'd >share my first foray into >creating something with my >nephews that was not a snowman.

crazer, that is super cute. Nice work.

Posted by: RoseVA | January 27, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Ice Capades
Snow Follies
WMATA on Ice

Posted by: hrking6 | January 27, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@B2O2 and Ian

Yeah, Apparently what we all witnessed was an actual transformer exploding and catching on fire in Kensington. It was extremely spectacular, just brought me a little down once I found out it wasn't lightning.

In any case, this storm's lightning+thunder was still incredible, but it quickly put an end to our (short-lived) snowball fight! =P

Posted by: Hockeyfan28 | January 27, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

continuing the piscine theme:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 27, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@walter

Great sculpture! Just wondering, how long do the sculptures usually take to melt? I would hope they don't melt for as long as possible.

Posted by: cubscapsfan | January 27, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I say we call it "Clusterflake"

Posted by: naivasna | January 27, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

My name for the storm, VaTechBob eats roasted crow storm. This storms intensity really surpised me, & I admit I was way wrong; although I only got 3" in NW Spotsy.
Headed 4 Central Pa. Fri. 4 a Super Bowl party weekend, so no snow on Fri.
Off to 301 Bridge for some striper fishing 2morrow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 27, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

How about Thunderjam; for the rarity of winter lightning and thunder and the unbelievable traffic jams the snow caused.

Posted by: chadborman | January 27, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chadborman | January 27, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

How about Thunderjam; for the rarity of winter lightning and thunder and the unbelievable traffic jams the snow caused?

Posted by: chadborman | January 27, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I like "WhyDidn'tYouListenToCWGAndStayOffTheRoadsFrom4-7LikeTheyToldYouTo,Morons." because all totally called it!

Posted by: suefun | January 27, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"WhyDidn'tYouListenToCWGAndStayOffTheRoadsFrom4-7LikeTheyToldYouTo,Morons." says it all because you all totally called early in the day! CWG rocks!

Posted by: suefun | January 27, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Walter,

It looks great! Keep up the good work.

I know you must've worked very hard on that.

I bet lots of people drive/walk down your street just to see the sculptures. I'd like to echo cubscapsfan's question: how long do they take to melt?

Are you ready for more snow next week? ;-)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

cubscapsfan,
how fast it melts really depends on sun and temperature. a sunny day with 30 degrees is as bad as a 40 degree cloudy day. this one will probably be recognizable for 4-5 days, maybe?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 27, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

@walter - So cool! It is awesome. I can't wait to show this to my 5 year old who is all about serpents and dragons right now. After making a little snowman today, he will appreciate the time and patience you must have spent to make it. So, how was sculpting with this snow?

This snow was really wet. Would snow totals have been higher if it would have been colder? Or, how does all that work? (Another newbie question)

@BobMiller2- good points

Posted by: holly6 | January 27, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow walter, just awesome as usual!!

Posted by: wadejg | January 27, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

In honor of the poor cars that watched their owners abandon them:
- SnoWayHome
- Going Snowhere
- Snowedblock (as opposed to roadblock).

Posted by: CapitalB | January 27, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Snowmania 2011. See my note on Facebook about a song immortalizing the storm - "They're Impassable"

Posted by: timsabin3 | January 27, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I came up with snoPRISE, so that's my vote. But I also like clusterslush.

Posted by: homertuckumd | January 27, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I came up with snoPRISE, so that's my vote. But I also like clusterslush.

Posted by: homertuckumd | January 27, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

SNOfu!

Posted by: simonecoyle | January 27, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timsabin3 | January 27, 2011 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I have now turned my attention to the storm next week.

I'm hitting the sack for now, super tired after digging out my entire long driveway.

Haven't been looking at the models too much for next week's storm. I've decided to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to really get excited about it.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 27, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timsabin3 | January 27, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

SnoWayHome is hilarious! Although I also like Travelanche.

Posted by: kbtilley1 | January 27, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Walter - very intimidating & as usual fantastically executed.
I'm curious as to what you call it.
"Toothy"?
Your kids must be delirious with joy to have that to play with on their front lawn.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Ha, great you all. Really great. You make me smile with all these ideas -- thanks too for participating here, in addition to our Facebook!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Snow-thanks

Posted by: aj99 | January 27, 2011 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Awesome Walter! I'd heard about your snow sculptures for a year now but this is the first time I'd been through your flickr stream. What a treat!

My favorite wasn't even a snow sculpture, though. I choked on my coffee when I saw the "sad Redskin" pumpkin!

Posted by: AsymptoticUnlimited | January 27, 2011 10:35 PM | Report abuse

snowlover31 - doesn't look like you got a response, few if any delays in the morning at our airports. They've caught up with the above-freezing temperatures today -- safe travels! Enjoy.

I like Going Snowhere & The Great Slushie

Wow our commenting readers are really creative!....

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

my storm name is "Cartastrophe"

Posted by: hirubin | January 27, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

crazer,
nice!

holly6,
this snow was PERFECT last night, when it was fresh. if i had the energy, i'd have started working then..... overnight it iced up. it still got to be pretty darn good packing snow today, as temps rose back above freezing. we got 6" here, but a shovel-full felt like 12" or so. this was as heavy a snow as we've had since the feb 07 5-6" of sleet...

FIREDRAGON,
my daughter likes it... the even younger kids on the street really love them. earlier i literally heard squeals of delight from one. that's ear candy if there ever was any. regarding your guess earlier of a rabbit: maybe we're thinking of the same thing? - you know, thumper.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 27, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

hirubin - good one. I heard, but haven't confirmed, that cars were abandoned by the dozens on GW parkway last night? eesh...

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

thanks everyone

@walter your sculpture looks fantastic as always

Posted by: crazer | January 27, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Name: sNOw Voltage

And yes, power still out, 27 hours and counting at last check. Was 54 degrees when we left earlier today for warmer accommodations, giving up on Virginia Dominion Power's "Restoration Efforts."

Why is this weather so fantastic again? It's blatantly obvious that this region CANNOT handle it. And god help us all if there ever needs to be a "mass evacuation" of DC. Find a bar and get yourself a drink and enjoy the fireworks, because you're never getting out.

And, I love the radio announcements saying "be prepared! Have a flashlight! Have a battery powered radio!" - I can heat my house with those? Apparently a backup generator is required equipment here in this third-world country of NoVA.

Posted by: nocando | January 27, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope everyone recovered today from any/all post commute trauma syndrome. Though my walking commute has not been pleasant either, it isn't like the gridlock on the automotive roads last night. My gosh.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 27, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

+1 for "Sue Palkapalooza"

Posted by: JAO413 | January 27, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Walter GREAT sculpture! Loved seeing the pic!

Crazer's snow bear was really cute too :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 27, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"Carpocalypse"
"Dude, where's my car"
"Cartastrophe" is good, too, hirubin.

Posted by: ChaseLuray | January 27, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I laughed at Ian when he did the live blog on storm models Monday night. Thought he was just throwing some chum to the desperate flake freaks.
I can't promise I'll be less skeptical of snow forecasts, especially those more than 48 hours out. Living here through so many winters just makes me that way.

Time for some rest, because tomorrow it's back to work, back to work, work work work work work work.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 27, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Slush Hour

Posted by: MattG1 | January 27, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

how many can we vote for?... i have no creative ones to add, but i love
Max Gridlock..... +1
SnoMG +1
and "traffic and weather together" +1

Posted by: ashleyba | January 27, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

sNOw idea

Posted by: MattG1 | January 27, 2011 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Lots of good ones here, but I have to enthusiastically second "Traffic and Weather Together!"

Posted by: vvf2 | January 27, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Tire salesman's wet dream

Posted by: djm-01 | January 27, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Tire salesman's wet dream

Posted by: djm-01 | January 27, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

"NoGoSnow"

Posted by: wesleydwilson | January 27, 2011 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll throw "snowgnarly" into the name contest. I so do not miss the 25 years I put up with this regularly while living in Buffalo...

Posted by: cdklktr | January 27, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Enjoying reading everyone's name suggestions. I still didn't see a place to find local snow totals... can someone point me in that direction, please? Thanks!

Posted by: batsandgates | January 28, 2011 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Thundergeddon!

Posted by: Michael_Nguyen | January 28, 2011 12:43 AM | Report abuse

@batesandgates

Here's a link to snow totals submitted by CWG readers: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2009/03/storm-reporting.html (you can zoom in to see totals by region/neighborhood - the wide view is pretty cluttered). Also, here are totals from the National Weather Service: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/events/snowmaps/

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2011 12:49 AM | Report abuse

SNOW-brakes?

Posted by: PALADIN7E | January 28, 2011 12:55 AM | Report abuse

SNOW-brakes?

Posted by: PALADIN7E | January 28, 2011 12:56 AM | Report abuse

My suggestion for the storm name reflects how thousands of people must have felt sitting stranded in their cars wondering if they'd ever get home - Snowpless.

Posted by: aacuna | January 28, 2011 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Snowheretogo ('S nowhere to go)

Toldya Snow! (as in: We told ya so!)

Posted by: Xlnt | January 28, 2011 3:43 AM | Report abuse

concepcion611- Do you think ACPS might change it to a cancellation? Only school system open!

Posted by: icecubedownthetoilet | January 28, 2011 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Look! Up in the air! It's rain! No, it's sleet! No, it's....heavy, wet, downpouring snow

Posted by: kolya02 | January 28, 2011 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so it's been more than 12 hours since someone else has posted here...

I'm for Snowstopper - gotta have a name that reflects the commuting nightmare, and I think it flows better than some of the other stopped-in-traffic-for-way-too-many-hours names.

Posted by: MKoehl | January 28, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Not planning on winning with it but it is appropriate for me and hundreds of thousands of my closest neighbors:

"sNOwGenerator" - can't track CWG or make storm name suggestions if I have no power for 24 hours....

My other thought, after the thunder snow/sleet, the speed of the storm, the intensity of it, the suddeness of it starting and stopping and the damage it left is the "WhamBamThankYouMaam" storm.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 28, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Snowcone.

Posted by: fsudia | January 28, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I sent this on twitter last night, but just in case it was missed, here's my wit:

Pepco-bysmal.

Posted by: seanoduill | January 28, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

My favorites:

Snowjam (nice, simple, & catchy)

Gridlockalypse & Clusterslush (perfect but they don't exactly roll off the tongue so they might not catch on)

Travelanche (perfectly captures the two main elements: commuting and freakish snow speed)

Traffic & Weather Together Storm (I LOVE this one! It's a long title, though, but luckily its acronym is also fitting. TWTS sounds like Tweets!)

The Longest Yard (Maybe not the best name for a storm, but the best name for the way it felt to *experience* it. I could have driven to Florida in the time it took me to get home!)

Every time I heard "Live from our glass-enclosed nerve center" I thought: So are we all! Here we all sit in tens of thousands of mini glass-enclosed nerve centers, voluntarily traveling distances that expose us to grueling weather, staying connected in our little bubbles via technology, trying to figure out exactly when old-school methods like walking become the better option. I pictured a time-traveling cave-man looking at us like we were all insane and saying simply, "Go to cave."

Posted by: saraestewart | January 28, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse