The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 PM ET, 01/19/2011

PM Update: Today's warmth transitions colder

By Ian Livingston

11 p.m. Update: A look at this evening's model data regarding the potential snow Thursday night (probably between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.) largely supports what we suggested this afternoon, which is that a dusting to an inch or two seems the most likely scenario. One of the primary models we look at (the NAM model) would actually suggest the low end of the range, around a dusting to a half-inch, especially for areas south of town. Check back tomorrow morning for further updates. -Dan Stillman

From earlier: When I stepped outside this morning into sunshine, little wind, and milder temperatures, I thought of spring. Those feelings continued into the day thanks to readings rising up near and past 50 most spots. Sadly for those wanting more mild weather, it's pretty short lived, and we're back below average tomorrow as a risk of snow pushes in late.

Through Tonight: It's partly cloudy this evening and into the night, with clouds probably on the increase by sunrise, especially to the west. Lows mainly dip to the mid-and-upper 20s.

Tomorrow (Thursday): We should see some peeks of morning sunshine, though clouds are on the increase on and it's pretty cloudy by midday/afternoon. Highs should be held back a bit, likely mid-and-upper 30s. During the evening, the chance for snow (or rain) showers enters the picture and a risk of snow increases around midnight.

How much snow Thursday night? See Dan Stillman's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

No more plows? Engineers, including Scott Brusaw of Idaho, are developing high-tech solar roadways that would melt snow and ice so plows and de-icers are not needed. So called "smart pavement" could not only save billions a year on snow removal, but it could also bring power to homes and businesses. Read more about the smart roads at CNN.

By Ian Livingston  | January 19, 2011; 11:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Huge Pacific storm to bring high surf to Hawaii
Next: Forecast: Wintry cold by day, flakes by night

Comments

I would absolutely LOVE smart pavement but it prolly wont happen around here in my lifetime. looks like we have to make our way through "Green Streets" before we can get to high tech streets :(

Posted by: KRUZ | January 19, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

A blowtorch-ish 49 degrees currently at Fort Belvoir, with lots of clouds and negligible wind. I have to admit, though, that as much as I enjoy the occasional light snowfall, it was *SO* nice to walk outside today and NOT have to jam on the gloves and tightly knot my scarf around my neck. When we get a day like this in midwinter, "spring" suddenly doesn't sound like such a dirty word...

Posted by: ToBeBlunt | January 19, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sure, solar roadways might save on snow removal, but how many times more will they cost to design and build? Spend a dollar to save a penny much?

Posted by: alusiv | January 19, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Heat wave!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 19, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Boy oh boy is it ever warm out there! (relatively speaking, of course) Just being above 40°F is amazing. When I left the office this afternoon, it felt pretty balmy! After this, though, I'm ready for more snow!

Current reading on my deck here in NE Loudoun: 46.3°F

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 19, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nice day gang! Glad to hear tomorrow evening/Friday morning will be just a passing snow shower. I hate making up school days in Summer (teacher)but I'd like to get one nice 4-8 inch storm one weekend and then call it a winter. My bet is that we don't see much this year if only because we normally don't. Having lived here 35 years one 6 inch storm a year makes a good snow year. I'm not sure where some folks on this blog get their expectations from........we dont live in Canada here!

Do your homework kiddies!!!

Posted by: inthemiddle2 | January 19, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

inthemiddle2, I'm sure last winter has something to do with current expectations from some at least. But we have gone back to what is more or less "normal" around here snowwise.. feast or famine!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 19, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Interesting idea about the heated glass roads... they are welcome to use my road as a prototype.

Related, in the old days, railroads built many miles of wooden snow sheds to protect tracks from big snows near mountain passes out west.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 19, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Hurry up summer!

Posted by: fakedude2 | January 19, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope you can try the zone approach again, loved it last time.

Posted by: tbva | January 19, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Already focusing on next week chances for snow. Any word?

Posted by: Kairos123 | January 19, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

OK. Moving right along... My sights are set on next week's snow. What are the chances for an "event?"

Posted by: Kairos123 | January 19, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@Kairos123

Odds are good we have some sort of threat in the Mon-Wed timeframe...and probably at least some snow to start with given cold air in place. From there...open question...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 19, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

does next week look like a possible decent snow??

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 20, 2011 12:48 AM | Report abuse

@BradF -- go back to the SLCB/glancing blow thread, left a comment for you there...

Posted by: natsncats | January 20, 2011 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Im from SC..last summer up here was a humid nightmare..im not looking fwd to it...i hope the cold stays around for a while,,back in SC we wear shorts for easter...i hope its a little cooler up here.

Posted by: BradFinWoodbridgeVA | January 20, 2011 12:56 AM | Report abuse