The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 01/ 8/2011

Snow ends, drops quick half inch or so

By Jason Samenow

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Snowfall total reports from National Weather Service

For those who were awake, the snow this morning put on quite a show. A narrow, but intense squall line raced through the metro region between about 7 (western suburbs) and 10:00 a.m. (eastern suburbs), dropping anywhere from 0.25-0.75". The snow was in and out of most spots within 30-40 minutes. Reader kygurl94 aptly called it a "snow-n-run".

It's over now (except for some scattered activity in Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's county which should wind down in next 30 minutes) and winter weather advisories have been dropped from D.C. and to the northwest and should be dropped to the east shortly. For the rest of the day, we should expect mostly cloudy skies with the possibility of a peak of sun or two this afternoon. A flurry can't be ruled out, but accumulating snowfall is most likely over. Temperatures probably won't rise a lot today (mid-30s for highs), but any sunshine we get will quickly eat away at our meager snow cover. Look out for some pretty brutal winds though, which may gust over 30 mph. See Ian Livingston's forecast for the outlook through midweek.

Keep reading to watch a video of the snow...

Amounts were less than the 1-3" forecast by the National Weather Service for the north and east suburbs, while CWG's forecast for a dusting to an inch for the region was more in the ballpark (although our mention of the *possibility* for more than 1" to the northeast didn't pan out).

Now all attention is on the Tuesday snow threat. We'll have an update on that in the early afternoon.

If you slept through this morning's show, here's a short video taken from Cleveland Park by CWG's Ian Livingston:

By Jason Samenow  | January 8, 2011; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Latest, Updates, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Snow ends. More Tuesday?
Next: Decent chance for at least some snow Tuesday

Comments

Nice job with this forcast. Between this and the storm that missed us a week or so ago you have quickly become my first choice for weather information.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | January 8, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to the Tuesday storm update. Annoyed at TWC for focusing on it being a southern storm and not saying much about the storm potential for us...

(I know, it's not the CWG channel, but still...) ;)

Posted by: MKoehl | January 8, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Will we see sunshine today?
Winds are starting to kick up in Centreville VA. Nasty biting wind.....brrrrrrrrr

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 8, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It's sunny out in the Blue Ridge Mtns so I imagine Centreville will be clear soon...

Posted by: spgass1 | January 8, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@FIREDRAGON

Satellite indicates we should definitely see some sunny intervals this afternoon.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 8, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Here on the west of DC no snow at 7AM, rather heavy snow at 8AM (I was worried that it might keep up at that rate for hours! It was coming down at a good clip), then tapering off and mostly done by 9AM. A little more than an inch in all.

Posted by: Virginiadude1 | January 8, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The sun is starting to come out here in Sterling. The winds are kicking up, though. Let's all cross our fingers for a biggie on Tuesday!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 8, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Blue skies & sun now in Centreville. Clouds blew out very quickly this last hour.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 8, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I think we can all agree that NBC4 is the most snow-hating D.C. network. Veronica Johnson and Tom Kierein, whom I admire very much, really do not like snow one bit from what I've seen. Bob Ryan also doesn't seem to like snow very much. Doug Hill seems very neutral when it comes to snow. Sue Palka seems like a snow lover. Topper Shutt is by far the biggest snow lover on local television. Adam Caskey and Brian van de Graaff are also snow lovers. I try to watch all the stations during a storm so I'm not overly excited or overly disappointed.

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 8, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

We don't watch TV or even have cable....so I can't speak to how much one TV weather personality seems to care for snow or not. CWG & the links on this site are pretty much all I need.
Plus the blog is simply fun.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 8, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2, plus Caskey likes to mix up with the snowball throwers in Dupont Circle. I mean as a reporter; he got pelted during Snowmageddon. Watching this unfold was hands down the best live TV coverage last February.

As for Pat Collins and the ruler he uses to measure snow depth. I dunno'....

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 8, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@buck-bass-goal

Thanks for the nice comment and welcome!

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 8, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

About what time can we anticipate precipitation on tuesday? Late afternoon?

Posted by: PoorTeacher | January 8, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1

Yes, I remember that well. I was watching that live as it happened on ch. 7 that afternoon. I agree that that was the best live tv coverage in February.

For those of you who haven't seen Adam Caskey getting pelted with snowballs, here is the link:

Posted by: BobMiller2 | January 8, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the winds will die down enough to striper fish Mon. at 301 Bridge. We caught 101 on Thurs. in 5 hrs, so I'm anxious 2 get back. This cold weather helps keep the fish in the power plant warm water discharge.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 8, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Snow Report from Leesburg:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMorCvU6KBc

Posted by: greg2010 | January 8, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Snow Report from Leesburg:

Posted by: greg2010 | January 8, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2
Thanks for sharing the Channel 7 video clip! Brings back good memories of the battle of Feb. 6. We actually organized a rematch four days later in the Circle, which drew a smaller crowd (of about 400), but plenty of reporters, too... and resulted in a memorable TV piece by Dave Feldman, who was not content merely to report on the snowballs whizzing around him...

If we get more than a few inches on Tuesday, we'll try to rally the troops in Dupont Circle once more. Might make a call on that late Sunday/early Monday at our new FB page: http://bit.ly/fFb1QF

Posted by: mlipin | January 8, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

This quick snow got me while I was running. First, I woke up, looked out the window, and saw nothing. By the time I got my running gear on, it was flurrying. About two miles into my run, it was snowing rather intensely and my face was hurting and my glasses were covered in snow. Then, by the time I got home (40 minutes later), the snow had stopped.

Posted by: chrisduckworth | January 8, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately the model ensembles and forecasts I see are tending to agree with TWC on Tuesday being primarily a southern system.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 8, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller, that was fun to re-live and thanks for reposting. As I recall as Adam got up near Starbucks just north of the Circle the snowballs really started whizzing at him. All in good fun, though.

Does anyone know how much snow DCA had? Couldn't have been very much, if Alexandria only had .1 inch (and DCA only had .02" precip).

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 8, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse