The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:55 PM ET, 02/22/2011

Joe Bastardi resigns from AccuWeather

By Jason Samenow

Accuweather's chief long range forecaster, Joe Bastardi, resigned from the company Monday. Bastardi, who produced popular columns and videos on AccuWeather's subscription website "AccuWeather Pro", was the lead forecaster for the company's seasonal forecasts and hurricane outlooks. He also frequently appeared as a weather and climate commentator on Fox News

"Joe Bastardi is no longer with AccuWeather," said Justin Roberti, company spokesperson. "You won't see more forecasts posted by him."

Roberti indicated Bastardi's decision was a "surprise" and that he did not know the reasons for Bastardi's departure.

"This was [Bastardi's] choice," he said. "We're appreciative of his great forecasts."

Bastardi could not be reached for comment in time for publication.

In addition to his long-range forecasting prowess, Bastardi is well-known for his controversial stance on global warming. AccuWeather denied Bastardi's departure had anything to do with his position on the issue.

"Our policy on global warming is for there to be an open forum," Roberti said.

With Bastardi's departure, a key challenge for AccuWeather becomes retaining subscribers who pay $24.95 per month or $249.95 per year for the "Pro" site.

When AccuWeather announced Bastardi had departed the company on his Facebook page, it lead to an outpouring of disappointment from fans including some who said they would be canceling their subscriptions.

"Just canceled my Pro subscription. Joe was why I subscribed," said Erick R Williams, a Facebook "fan."

Roberti did not try to diminish the significance of the loss of the "charismatic" Bastardi, but said subscribers should consider all of the other resources, including computer models and radar imagery AccuWeather offered on the Pro site.

He also indicated meteorologist Henry Margusity, who produces the popular "Meteorological Madness" blog would assume a large role in filling Bastardi's shoes.

With respect to Bastardi's responsibilities in leading the company's seasonal and hurricane outlooks, Roberti said that function would be taken over by Paul Pastelok.

"[Seasonal forecasting] has always been a team effort, and Paul has played an important part."

Roberti emphasized Bastardi's loss could be filled by committee within the company and said "there is no intent" to bring in another prominent forecaster.

Noting Bastardi rose through the ranks at AccuWeather in his 32 year career there, Roberti said the company develops great forecasters from within.

"There are dozens of meteorologists contributing and some of the best forecasters in the world [at AccuWeather]," he said.

By Jason Samenow  | February 22, 2011; 1:55 PM ET
Categories:  Climate Change, Latest, Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow totals fall short of forecasts: why?
Next: PM Update: Clear and chilly

Comments

Credit to Bastardi for (finally) resigning when he's gotten it wrong so often!

Now what about the other 90% of forecasters (especially in DC) who are wrong when it maters most?

Posted by: KRUZ | February 22, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Joe Bastardi resigns from AccuWeather"

YIPEE!!! HOORAY!!!! HE'S OUT!!!! JOYOUS DAY!!!

Finally, that [awful] meteorologist will no longer be scaring/exciting people over storms that don't even form!! Remember a few weeks ago, he called for the storm of the century and IT DIDN'T HAPPEN??!!??!!

Now, they just need to fire Margusity!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | February 22, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance.
I'm sure he'll find another roost from which to crow his "sky is falling" weather entertainments.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 22, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I like Bastardi. To his credit, he's been calling for the flip in the weather pattern in mid-February since December.

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | February 22, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Im sure a cable channel will pick him up, either Fox News or CNN. He'll be the new Geraldo Rivera out in the storm LOL, muscling though the cat 5 hurricanes!

Posted by: KRUZ | February 22, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

People pay $24.95 per month or $249.95 per year to read weather forecasts....which are usually wrong? I guess it's true what they say about a sucker being born every minute.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 22, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

One less carnival barker at InAccuweather.

A very good day.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 22, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Joe Bastard(i) is the that Somehow a real name, name?

huh? your kidding me.

Posted by: Tobor58 | February 22, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I trust the weather rock more than anyone else out there.

Posted by: TBAlexandria | February 22, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Only someone who has read his daily blog for at least a year or more, can pass any kind of judgement on his skills as a pro met. Beware of these so called well informed people now making negative comments on his forecasting abilities. In the eyes of many who pray at the Church of Man made global warming, he is a an evildoer and NOW apparently a very poor weatherman. His dedication and passion for forecasting, especially long range, is only understood by those who follow his work. This kind of science is still difficult to master for even the very best
in the field. That being said, Bastardi is still correct with his long range work more than he is wrong. Anyone saying anything else does not read him daily, and most likely has some other axe to grind.

Posted by: kurtis22 | February 22, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Ive read Joe since he was a free internet read. I will credit him for sticking his neck farther out than the current weather science standard.He made forcasts that only the farmers almanac surpassed

Posted by: pvogel88 | February 22, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"People pay $24.95 per month or $249.95 per year to read weather forecasts....which are usually wrong? I guess it's true what they say about a sucker being born every minute"

I suspect those are mostly corporate clients, people in construction and other industries that depend on knowing the weather. If you need to pay 12 guys $24 an hour, you want to know when exactly rain will end/start, etc. in your exact location, and "chance of showers this afternoon" for an entire metro area isn't going to cut it.

Posted by: danacruikshank | February 22, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

That Bastardi !

Posted by: pejochum | February 22, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. If he is so stupid that he cannot under the climate change issue then it's obvious he can't predict weather. What an idiot.

Posted by: hmrc1 | February 22, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

hmrc1,

There are many tight relationships between the energy industry and mets. There are lots of mets that work of energy giants to give them insight into future forecasts and trends. AGW is an anathema to the business that make their world work. Therefore you find an anomaly in the "unconvincable" amongst the met community. I have seen a number of mets that I really admire that have thrown off every bit of science that they know in order to be "unconvinced" on AGW. It is like they totally forgot the weight of the evidence thing. But it is understandable from the lens of the economics. Just the other day wxrisk posted a report from the pixel counter Goddard... DT's a good met but he has the blinders on when it comes to AGW.

Posted by: sgustaf1 | February 22, 2011 9:05 PM | Report abuse

i get the feeling bastardi's a climate "contrarian" just to be contrary. he likes that role. he predicts storms-of-the-century every year to be "out there". then he can have people who admire his "guts" etc... for being willing to "go out on a limb" or some such thing. i'm sure this style appeals to that poster last night who criticized CWG for not having "originality" in their forecasts...

i suppose ultimately it's up to listener as to how to take bastardi. when he tell you there's gonna be a big storm going up the coast from dc to boston, you have to insert the "possiblies" and "mights" and "coulds".

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 22, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see you go, but "controversial"?, only with you gore faithful that refuses to debate "settled" science.
Its crap, its a scam and you threw real environmentalism under the bus for it.
The data for warming isn't sufficient.
For goodness sakes they don't use real solar variables to make up their findings.
However the GOP won't fund the epa, nor nasa nor the other disciples of the cause.
Controversial!!!! Hooey

Posted by: Saladin3 | February 22, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

He should have stuck to working in Portland Oregon during the months of November-February. He could predict rain every day and never be wrong.

Posted by: Martial | February 22, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"Now I want to make something clear that's sort of a pet peeve of mine. This was not the perfect track to take New Orleans under. It was a very, very bad storm and a very risky storm for New Orleans, but the ideal, perfect track, I'm going to show you that in just a moment was not this track. And I think what happened was a lot of people got carried away with some things and turned around and said it wasn't as bad as what it was supposed to be. It was every bit as bad. And when the damage figures come in, we will be seeing that."

JOE BASTARDI, AS NEW ORLEANS WAS DROWNING, ON THE NEWS HOUR. HE THEN POINTED AND WINKED AT THE CAMERA.

Posted by: flynnie321 | February 22, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Why has no one mentioned the possibility of JB going to the Weather Channel???

His sensational brand of forecsting would fit in just fine at Comcast/NBC's "new" Weather & Entertainment Channel.

Maybe he can team up with "Sultry Stephanie" and "Abrams & Bettes" will become "Abrams & Bastardi"!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 23, 2011 12:20 AM | Report abuse

well, at least he waited until the end of winter so we could another season of his entertaining snowstorm hype

now the bigger question is why won't accuweather let some of the hot interns get more air time? Bastardi's "the world will end Tuesday west of the I-95 corridor" forecasts are far easier to take than 5 minutes of looking at Henry Margusity or Bernie Rayno

Posted by: tgt111 | February 23, 2011 5:30 AM | Report abuse

becky28b,
what?! what does his postion on "warming" have to do with the (in)accuracy of his forecasts. i seriously doubt that his "warming" position is what bothers most people here about bastardi's the (in)accurate weather forecasts.

seriously, does anyone here know how many times this winter he said dc was gonna get "buried" by snow? 6? 8?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 23, 2011 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Bastardi wont be working for Fox News since he doesn't have the legs for the short skirt nor the the cleavage. My favorite weather forcaster is Maria Molina. Channel 7 should fire Bob abd Dougie and hire her. Ratings would skyrocket in the summer if she did the weather in a Brazilian bikini.

I pay a lot more than $249 for my professional weather forecasts and I demand accuracy. Your local govts pay for their weather forecasts too as does VDOT.
Now the CWG is good but not close to the pro services. Also I am looking for extended predictions so I can make decisions about where to plant and how much to plant ect.

A farmer or rancher would go bankrupt if he had to depend on Dougie and Bobbie for and their inaccurate forecasts and predictions.

Posted by: sheepherder | February 23, 2011 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Having read the columns for years - and reading the comments on here, I now understand the internet.
Everyone is whining or mocking, but, I'm gonna guess the majority have never consistently read his daily blogs. Until you read them and study them, please, dont waste people's time with conjecturing and your OWN hyping and war-mongering.
The majority of time, he was correct (which is way better than the automated forecast crap out there), and when wrong, he explained why and didn't screw that part up again. If anyone feels they are 100% perfect at something, congrats. No one will believe you tho.
Read and educate yourself before you blindly make a stand for something and make pointless comments that only embarass yourself.

Posted by: scrumgoat | February 23, 2011 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Joe is simply the best of the best. A true franchise player, and there are only a handful of them in his industry.

Posted by: Energy101 | February 23, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

CWG, did you guys suspend your "no name calling or personal attacks" policy? Or do you selectively enforce it?

Yes, that was a rhetorical question.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 23, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@Mr. Q

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't been in this comment thread since yesterday. I deleted the posts with name calling.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 23, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Before you leave a comment, be sure it includes no name calling, personal attacks, or profanity. We will delete such comments. Thanks.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 23, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Until yesterday I was a subscriber to accuweather pro. During the last 10 days or so I have been involved with in a kerfuffle with accuweather support over an issue that may shed a little light...I do not access the Internet with a PC, I access it on my iPhone. For the last two years at least, all videos on the pro site would play on my iPhone, except Joe Bastardi's videos. Two years ago I brought this up to accuweather support, and I got an email saying they don't support videos on iPhone. In so many words, I was told Gee too bad... After two years went by I brought the issue up with support again, pointing out that all mets on accuweather pro have their videos playing just fine, why can't Joes? After an exchange of emails, and almost a week going by, support told me that someone would be bringing in an iPhone the next day, and they would check it out. I couldn't believe that their support had no idea how their website presented itself on a device as common as an iPhone. After 3 or 4 days I got an email back saying that it says on their webpage they don't support mobile devices.. And that if they changed things so Joe Bastardi's videos were accessible by an iPhone, pc users would be adversly impacted, and so they were not going to make any changes. In other words, of all the mets at accuweather, only Joe Bastardi's videos would stay not playable on iPhones. I was so frustrated, I dashed off an email to Joe, and hours later the news broke that he was gone. Do I think my kerfuffle had any bearing on his leaving? No. But if that was the kind of treatment he got from his own company, I can't blame him.

Posted by: Stradivarious | February 23, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I too bought into the Accuweather Pro Site 5 Years ago. At that time, it was on special for 149.95 and that is what I have paid ever since.

I will be canceling my subscription in June when my contract runs out. It was because of Joe that I even signed up for Accuweather. No Joe, no more money. I will be on the prowl looking for a new site to show case Joe's talent.

I have read with with more than a passing interest in all the comments posted here. And to the point that Joe was a lousy or bad forecaster, no amount of discussion or debating with those individuals will change their minds. So there is no point discussing the merits or lack thereof of Joe's forecasting abilities. What I will say, when Joe makes a bad forecast he will air his dirty linen on the air and point out what he missed or why he believes the forecast did not turn out the way he thought it would. Joe forecasting batting average (pardon the baseball pun) is about 60 percent. What is nice about listening to Joe's forecasts, you can be the judge if he hit the mark or missed it totally. (This comment is only related to his Long range forecast (8 to 15 days out and longer 1 to 3 months out and longer). The government forecaster will issue progs .. you know the drill... a 30 percent change of this or greater than 40 percent chance of that... progs are not forecast that are verifiable unless you that you have 2 chances in 5 of forecasting the weather. That is a trend .. not a forecast. Where is the skill in that?

If anyone gets a line on where Joe is, please post it here.

Thanks a bunch

Posted by: RetiredOldMan | February 23, 2011 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Retired, I could not have said it better. Unfortunately, I renewed my subscription just two days before JB's "retirement". You can be sure that is the last payment AccuWeather receives from me.

One of the things that I have always found refreshing about JB is his ability to think outside of the models. Not only does he forecast the weather, but he also predicts what the models will do. You don't find that kind of ability in 99% of the meteorologists you see today.

Like you said, he is always there to explain his mistakes and takes responsibility for them when they happen. Right or wrong, I always feel like I learn something when I read his blog or watch one of his videos.

I see that they intend to rely on Henry more. Sorry, this is not intended as a slam on Henry, but he is totally model driven. I can get that kind of forecast anywhere. My kids could look at any of the current model printouts and tell me what they are predicting. There is no skill in that.

Well, here is to hoping that JB turns up somewhere soon, providing us more of his pearls of wisdom about the weather.

Posted by: dalexander9870 | February 24, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse