The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:40 PM ET, 02/ 8/2011

PM Update: Bitter winds until tomorrow

By Jason Samenow

(originally posted at 3:40 p.m., updated at 5 p.m.)

Winds have gusted from 40-50 mph throughout the entire metro region (list of maximum gusts) today, and windy conditions persist this evening. Dulles Airport recorded gusts around 40 mph at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Overnight, the combination of wind and Arctic air is brutal before winds gradually relax starting early Wednesday.

Through Tonight: Strong winds, sometimes gusting to 30-40 mph, continue through mid-evening when you may see a snow flurry or two blowing around. Wind chills are in the teens and 20s if you're out and about this evening. Winds gradually diminish to lighter levels by morning when lows range from the low teens in the colder suburbs to 17-20 downtown.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): The winds relax, and it turns into just a partly sunny, cold early February day. Highs reach the mid-30s. Toward evening, clouds may increase a bit, with a few flurries possible at night as low pressure moves by to our south.

See Matt Rogers' forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

U.S. was cold and dry in January: NOAA reports the U.S. average temperature in January was just 30 degrees, almost 1 degree below average. But despite big storms at different times, it was much drier than normal, with precipitation 0.74" below the long term average.

By Jason Samenow  | February 8, 2011; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rate our cold winter so far
Next: The top five U.S. snow storms

Comments

First!

Posted by: mcaicedo | February 8, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Want snow.
Will take flurries over nothing.
Maybe someone will look at one of those weather models & see something flakey 900 hours out.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 8, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I

want

it

to... wait for it...

Posted by: BobMiller2 | February 8, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

SNOW!!!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | February 8, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

It is now snowing in Warren County.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 8, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

A decent flurry here in the center of Warren County. Mostly melting on contact, although there is a dusting on the furniture (outdoor).

Posted by: eric654 | February 8, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Wind almost blew me over on my bike today a couple of times. I coulda ended up in the Metro section.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | February 8, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

FIREDRAGON47,
i would go "snow hunting" out to 900 hrs if the models would let me...

i reported on some "back end" snow the GFS was showing this morning at 342 hrs on the GFS (laugh/cry). well, that's gone now. the storm passes by and when temps drop in the wake of the rain storm, the precip dries up - leaving us high and, well... dry.

watching this loop, you can see just how pronounced the dc snowhole is. numerous times you can see green (moisture) approaching dc, only to have it disappear, then reappear on the other side... sigh... i'm gonna retire in buffalo or something.... let me just pre-empt any "you can't trust the GFS, or any model, that far out" comments by saying I KNOW THAT - but times are tough and i'm well-aware that i'm desperate. it's mostly just a measure of how desperate i am that i'm looking out 300 hrs on the models... i mean, otherwise, i'm coming to grips w/ the idea of 10 more months w/o snow...

eric, spgass,
you guys get all the good weather out there.

eric,
good to hear it's the outdoor furniture that has snow on it. that clarification cracked me up.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Ain't nuthin worse than strong winds in the winter time. They cut thru your face like a knife.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 8, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

My wife says it best - a chilly snowless winter is a pure waste of cold.

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 8, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

walter, that popped into my head because it was 53 in the house (59 now with wood stove turned on). The new, lighter snow flurry is falling now but I still have "old" snow from the 4:30 flurry. BTW, there is quite a bit more really old snow in McLean out through Herndon than around my house. I think there was a higher water equivalent further east.

Posted by: eric654 | February 8, 2011 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Saw a little flurry action driving through Manassas battlefield. Must have been at least a hundred flakes swirling down for about 30 seconds.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 8, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

If it's not gonna snow, I want Summer back. 90's where are you?

Posted by: sobolasobola | February 8, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Walter:

We can [almost] always count on Dec 5th, can't we? ;-)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | February 8, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Looking bleak 4 any decent snow 4 the next 10-12 days. La Nina yrs generally produce below av. snow, so this winters lack of snow is no surpise.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 8, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

CWG, I know you hear this all the time, but you guys really are the best. I dont even bother checking the weather with one of the local news stations anymore. Your ability to work toghter is a highly effective strategy that we all benefit from. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: thecavs1 | February 8, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Topper Shutts "futurecast" tonight showed "light" snow from 10pm until 3am. And the snow stretched all the way up to the mason dixon line and a little beyond. No way thats under 1 inch of snow with as cold as its going to be.

Doug Kammerers "futurecast" shows light snow half way up thru dc, but barely touching me here in hyattsville. And for only 2 hours.

As much as I hate to admit it, this looks like a lot more than flurries tomorrow night.

Posted by: KRUZ | February 8, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

@thecavs1

Thanks for the nice note. Glad you find our stuff useful. And I like your username :)

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

The 00Z nam has trended back towards the south and now has a complete miss. Right now I don't see much more than the flurries Jason mentioned and doubt it would be enough to coat the roads even if it snows which still looks like is the less likely of the two outcomes. In reality nothing much has changed since I wrote the blog earlier today with the models only make slight movement and still suggesting a very flat wave.

Posted by: wjunker | February 8, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The 00Z nam has trended back towards the south and now has a complete miss. Right now I don't see much more than the flurries Jason mentioned and doubt it would be enough to coat the roads even if it snows which still looks like is the less likely of the two outcomes. In reality nothing much has changed since I wrote the blog earlier today with the models only making slight movement and still suggesting a very flat wave.

I corrected the statement to make it more literate.

Posted by: wjunker | February 8, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Wes

How many more times is this thing gonna shift north and south on the models before it makes its pass. Looking forward to hearing what the Euro says tonight err tomorrow morning. Hoping non accumulating flurries is the most we get although not 1 flake would be more to my liking!

Posted by: KRUZ | February 8, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from walking the dog...if ever there were a night that exemplified "bitter cold," tonight is it!

Posted by: kolya02 | February 8, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse