The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:40 PM ET, 02/22/2011

PM Update: Clear and chilly

By Jason Samenow

This afternoon was as cold as it's been in more than ten days, but sunshine at least helped temperatures rise above freezing in most spots. We're in for a very cold night tonight, before seasonably cold sunshine tomorrow.

Through Tonight: Arctic high pressure overhead tonight gives us clear skies and calm winds. That combination produces very cold overnight lows, ranging from 10 in the colder suburbs to 20 downtown.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Sunshine is abundant and while the airmass is still cold, high temperatures should climb into the low-to-mid 40s. That's about five degrees colder than average, but a step in the positive direction.

See Matt Rogers' forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Big snows mount in Midwest: While seasonal snow totals are a bit below average in the D.C. metro region, parts of the Midwest have seen historically high snow amounts. Minneapolis has received 74.9", 10th most on record, with plenty of winter to go there. Chicago has tallied 53.4", its fifth snowiest season on record.

By Jason Samenow  | February 22, 2011; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Bastardi resigns from AccuWeather
Next: The last flyer run

Comments

CWG

1. your website is extremely snow and when i post a comment it takes 10 minutes for it to send

2. you completely messed up the forecast last night. If we could give you a letter grade for this forecast it would be an F and the only reason it isn't an F- is because you guys said it would sleet and snow.

BUT OVERALL I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU ALL

I don't think i will be visiting this website again for a long time.

Posted by: SNOWLUVER | February 22, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

*****your website is extremely SLOW***

Posted by: SNOWLUVER | February 22, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

See ya next snow threat, SNOWLUVER. ;)

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 22, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

SNOWLUVER - hope you don't stop visiting & commenting! Also, yes, the site is full of multimedia and runs slowly many times. Regret it. I hear we are working toward a solution, but nothing set in stone. WaPo is aware.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 22, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Is there a chance for spring anytime soon? Some warm-up possible? Looks like we can expect 50s for awhile, and some rain (hopefully washing off all that salt!)

Posted by: bastings | February 22, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Is this like WaPo being aware for over a YEAR that this site simply won't load on a BlackBerry? I mean, not without waiting at least 10 minutes? Even on BB OS6, it's still terrible.

Of course, they couldn't put 15 ads and links for Facebook, advertisements, and all the other crap on this page on a fast-loading, sleek and mobile web page, readily accessible from anywhere. And people wonder why newspapers are dying. Slow to change bureaucratic behemoths!

Oh well, at least it's almost springtime! :)

Posted by: nocando | February 22, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

It amuses me that complaints are directed in the comments rather than to the ombudsman or, y'know, somebody whose job it is to address them. Can we let CWG focus on meteorology rather than website implementation?

Posted by: random-adam | February 22, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

bastings - in the next 6 to apprx 10 days, there are equal chances for below & above-average temperatures (50s may be above average, but I dont foresee much warmer) + Precip may have a decent chance to be above-normal in the medium term. In the longer term after 10 days, when confidence in prognostication really plummets, current indications lean toward slightly below-average temperatures with equal chances at precip being above or below.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 22, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@random-adam Feel free to point me to the contact information for the crack "website implementation team" for the WaPo, and I'll gladly direct my complaint directly there. (Note "Webmaster" doesn't count, been there,tried that.)

Both the "Webmaster" and "Ombudsman" have not responded to prior efforts to suggest that people might want to check the weather while out and about - especially for thunderstorms, tornado warnings, winter storms, etc. Apparently this is a foreign concept to whoever is in charge of development for WaPo. And I'm not the only one who has said this at various times.

The fact remains: It doesn't take a year to develop a mobile website. It's not rocket science, and it's certainly not meteorology. But if CWG's readership/pageviews/"circulation" are being limited by the fact that people cannot access their site except when chained to a desktop/laptop/iPad, perhaps that actually is of interest to them.

Posted by: nocando | February 22, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Camden. Can't wait until spring really sets in!

Posted by: bastings | February 22, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

bastings - I used to love Winter, but sadly I think nowadays I agree with you. I'm not looking forward to 10-20F temperatures for lows, tonight!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 22, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

i imagine this forecast is much easier than yesterday's at this time, but, uh... while the sun has poked through a few times, it's cloudy here and has been for most of the day.

as for SNOWLUVER, i suspect he's NOT actually a snow lover, but a day-off-school lover. he roots for sleet, and freezing rain.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 22, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hope to see lots more sunshine tomorrow. Today was kind of a weather bummer; gray, raw & damp.
It was one helluva holiday weekend. Wind & sleet, woo-hoo!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 22, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

CWG rocks always. And I still love winter and snow, both.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 22, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

An F for the forecast???? Snowluver should stay away. You guys did great. You and Justin Berk were the only ones saying we would get anything for days before anyone else. I think you guys did an awesome job. I, for one, realize that sleet brings down totals. Geesh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Posted by: capsfan4toolong | February 22, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Walter,
I'm sorry about this winter but there is always next year. Enjoy playing with your weather station...i'm loving mine.

I just love weather, whether it is snowing or sleeting or raining and windy. Nothing too dangerous, just nature throwing a tantrum. Don't care for 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Blech :-P

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | February 22, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I was checking the nasty weather coming to Seattle where my son lives, and found this:

Thought you CWG might like to see the competition. Go weather blogs!!

Posted by: dhb2 | February 22, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Some funny flickers on radar...any chance of flurries tonight?
I know the forecast is for "clear skies" but clouds seemed to be in control when I was driving home.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 22, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"See ya next snow threat, SNOWLUVER. ;)"

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang

LOL. That was good for a real out loud chuckle. Thanks, Ian.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 22, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@snowluver, there amounts were a little off, but I thought they did a really good job of forecasting. Go back and reread their forecasts and tell me what areas of their forecasts deserved an F(besides the overall amounts, which again, were off but not WAY off)??? GREAT JOB CWG, your analysis will continue to do a great public service in educating everyone about the weather, and our area's particular challenges.

Posted by: dcg35 | February 22, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

@walter.

your statement is completley false....Snow Luver actually Loves snow....with a capital L. Apparently hes sick at skiing and really good at 180s. So stop making false assumptions of people you dont EVEN KNOW!

Posted by: SNOWHATERRR | February 22, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@dhb2

I read Cliff Mass' blog. It's excellent.

@FIREDRAGON47

There is a weak wave passing by producing some low clouds and even a few flurries west. But that should pass in the next couple hours and those clear skies will come after midnight.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 22, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Alas, I love winter. And all the seasons. Cold or hot, bring it. If I didn't, I'd retire and move south-southwest somewhere.

But I remember visiting my great aunt, an accomplished amateur painter, down in Florida, long ago. At one point she looked out the window and sighed: "Yes, it's very nice here. But it's always so ... GREEN."

Posted by: Groff | February 23, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse