The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 02/10/2011

PM Update: Cold but slowly warming Friday

By Jason Samenow

Very cold tonight

Today's highs in the low 30s were cold but maybe the fact we all know warm weather is right around the corner made it feel not so bad. Tonight is very chilly - perhaps as cold as it will be the rest of winter? Time will tell. The much anticipated warming trend begins tomorrow.

Through Tonight: Arctic high pressure, clear skies and light winds overhead provide ideal conditions for temperatures to tank. Lows range from as low as 10 in the colder suburbs to around 20 downtown.

Tomorrow (Friday): The air mass remains cold, but abundant sunshine pushes temperatures to around 40. Winds are from the south at 5-10 mph.

See David Streit's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

D.C. finds itself in the snow hole again: A lack of both cloud cover and precipitation across much of the U.S. allowed the birds in space (i.e. satellites) to get a good look at the surface this afternoon. The image below (h/t Brian Jackson), from NASA's MODIS instrument (big image) shows the extensive snow cover (all that white) over the lower 48 with the notable exception of the D.C. metro region and a narrow swath extending southwest.

snow-hole-021011.jpg
Satellite image showing snow cover over a large part of the U.S. South of central Georgia and into Florida, the image is showing clouds as opposed to snow. Source: Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

By Jason Samenow  | February 10, 2011; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow on ground in 49 states, almost none in air
Next: Last sledding run of the season?

Comments

HA HA gotta love that snow hole right over us.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 10, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Umm... Tomorrow is Friday. Don't make me stay at work any longer than necessary.
Snow hole. The story of our lives here in the nations capitol. One year of abundant snow and then we pay for it... dearly!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 10, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

pjdunn1 - fixing that ASAP. But who doesn't love hump day Wednesdays?? :)

rwalker66 - did you get a good look using the big image hyperlink? It has great resolution! Though the snow hole in hi-def might make some snowlovers sad.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I usually workout in the morning but just got back from today's run. I gotta say the afternoon sun was nice and warm.

Posted by: marathoner | February 10, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Such a disappointing winter for snowlovers. Snow everywhere but here.

TWC noted today that Tupelo, MS has had 13.4" and Hunstville, AL has had 14.3" this year! That's more than both National and Dulles Airports!! What an insult.

And with bare ground, we warm up more quickly: NYC & PHL stayed in the 20s today, while we warmed into the 30s.

I'm ready to give up on winter and start rooting for LOTS of rain this spring!

Posted by: TominMichiganParkDC | February 10, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, both satellite pictures make me sad.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 10, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KRUZ | February 10, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

KRUZ, you said, "After last winter, we deserve this hole! In fact, after last years snow, we deserve this snow hole next winter too!"

Well, I don't think we ever deserve to be in a snow hole. Just like we never deserve a 70"+ of snow winter.

Mother Nature makes her own decisions and will throw whatever she wants at us, wheter it be a heat wave, tsunami, mudslide, cold spell, blizzard, you name it!

All we can do is hope for the best, which in your case would mean warm and rainy, I suppose.

---

manassasmissy, you said, "both satellite pictures make me sad."

Not only do they make me sad, but they also bring feelings of great jealousy
;-)!

---

TominMichiganParkDC, you said, "Such a disappointing winter for snowlovers. Snow everywhere but here. I'm ready to give up on winter and start rooting for LOTS of rain this spring!"

Hold on a second, Tom! Give up?? Now??!! You've gotta be kidding me! Sure, the next few weeks will probably be very warm, but statistics show that March can still be a prime month for snow! In fact, we average more snow in March than in December; the month of SNOWPOCALYPSE!

---

rwalker66, you said, "HA HA gotta love that snow hole right over us."

Actually, I don't love it. On the contrary, I despise it with my whole heart!

---

btw, both Doug Kammerer and Doug Hill are calling for 60s by the end of next week.

(I think KRUZ and ThinkSpring will throw a party after reading this)

Oh, and speaking of Doug Hill, did y'all hear that ABC 7 is getting its old website back and renaming TBD TV back to NewsChannel8?

Here's the link to a write up in the WaPo about it:

I'm glad. I didn't like anything about TBD. It was simply a failure.

---

Also, Bob Ryan's twitter comment pretty much sums up today's "event"; if you could call it that?

"Not enough snow for sledding in Prince William county. Enjoy a sunny day kids"

I can't believe this was enough for some districts to close. Geez people, grow up.

My theory is that it can be traced back to lawsuits. The schools are worried that if little Johnny slips and falls on his way to school that Johnny's parents will sue.

But hey, that's just my opinion :). The world would be a much better place without so many useless lawsuits.
---

BTW, the current reading on my deck here in NE Loudoun is 27.4°F.

Get ready for a cold night everyone. Brrrr. Perhaps one of the coldest nights of the season? Although, if previous nights this winter are indicative of what may happen tonight, I think the 10 - 20 forecast will really end up being 18 - 28.

--Bob (who is very disappointed with the lack of snow)

Posted by: BobMiller2 | February 10, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Bob,
I'm with you on the TBD thing. I hated the name, I hated the annoying theme music that went on a loop for the first 3 minutes of the news, and I hated the whole format. Let's hope they ditch it all and go back to the News Channel 8 music and format.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 10, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Bundle up when leaving work or heading home (if you haven't already) - Temperatures are currently falling at a decent clip. DCA made it up to 34 today, but just dipped below 30F already. Brr! We can endure just a bit longer, right? Warm up is coming. Promise.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2011 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I see some white over the DC area, or is it grey? Especially north of the city, the color looks like that of much of Pennsylvania, with some patchiness. It's when you get into the Shenandoah Valley, Southside VA, and the Carolinas when it looks bare.

But what's all that white over Florida? Cloud cover?

Posted by: mkarns | February 10, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@TominMichiganPark...why do you keep trying to hit me with RAIN??? I hate it...it's more of a hassle than snow! Let's have a nice mild spring with only enough showers to promote plant growth...not the kind of raw, cloudy, windy wet mess you seem to wish on us up to and including Memorial Day weekend. That crud only makes for extended SAD.

Next Thursday's sixties are a bit too early as they seem to be depriving me of the usual President's Day weekend snowstorm extravaganza. Remember that met winter is supposed to last through Mar. 1...and let's hope for winter through March 8 this year, since Ash Wednesday, the REAL start of "meteorological spring" around here, is late this year!

Let's hope the Clarendon Mardi Gras parade is greeted by lazily falling snowflakes, not by TominMichiganPark's chilly idea of "liquid sunshine".

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 11, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse