The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 02/28/2011

PM Update: Rain out, wind in

By Ian Livingston

updated at 6:55 p.m.

Today's weather excitement never fully materialized locally, but we have seen some "much needed" rain at least. Rainfall totals are largely in the .25"-.50" range thus far, though some spots which saw the heaviest action have seen a bit more, and others less. Light to occasionally moderate rain continues across portions of the area, but it's slowly moving off to the south and east.

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Showers generally wind down heading into evening, but until the front gets here (it's moving through western Md. and WV right now), the risk remains good. You'll know when the front moves through because winds whip up from the north and northwest behind it as temperatures fall. Showers should end this evening, but a few more behind the front are possible. Winds sustained around 15-20 mph may gust toward or past 35 mph through the first half of the night before dwindling heading into morning. Lows bottom out near 30 to the mid-30s.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): We're in the temporary grip of some cooler air during the day, but winds continue to weaken from morning through afternoon. Mostly sunny skies are still quite nice as highs reach near 50. Winds from the north and northwest sustained around 10 mph early weaken to light by afternoon.

See Jason Samenow's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Another 70+: National Airport spiked to at least 72 degrees before the rain arrived earlier today. This was the 4th time this month that D.C. reached 70 or higher. That leaves us tied for 2nd all time for such a mark. The other years with four 70+ days in February are 1890, 1930, 1977, and 1997. The most ever was 7 in 1976.

By Ian Livingston  | February 28, 2011; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Passengers aboard jet view Discovery launch
Next: Forecast: Sun and cold back in town

Comments

Sure doesn't feel like a 70+F day. So gloomy. :-(

Posted by: bastings | February 28, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

That was a very shot-lived and sudden 72. Unfair.

Posted by: marklandterrapins | February 28, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

What is the rainfall deficit in the Metro area?

Posted by: wzitlau | February 28, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

B4 2day the rain def. since Nov. was 33%, average for Nov-Feb 11.45", thru the 27th 7.71"
Hopefully we get some more rain this weekend, way 2 warm for snow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 28, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I found downtown we received 4.17" of rain through yesterday.. maybe another 0.75" by midnight? YTD we should have at DCA (different location than the rain measurement I found) 6.41"

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 28, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm showing 52 degrees currently and a total of .16" of rain and wind gust of 12.8 today here just south of Hamilton VA. Does that make sense with DC getting over 4 inches or is my gauge not working properly? Saw some ominous clouds moving in from the west around 10:30 a.m. some wind, little rain and then just normal gray lightly rainy day. We need some of DC's precip!!

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | February 28, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

worldtraveler83, I believe Camden was referring to the year to date rainfall total with both the larger numbers. The around .75" total would be today, and DCA has about that right now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 28, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I believe my decision not to water the newly planted lettuce seed bed yesterday was a sound one. Centreville is very soggy this evening.
Bye bye winter....don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 28, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ian, of course you are right. I thought perhaps the clouds stalled over DC. Got a bit confused and jealous as we need some more rain here. I think IAD is only 4.04 since Jan. Do you have a site I can go to to check my data against one in the Leesburg area similar to:

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | February 28, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

FIREDRAGON47,

Yes, bye bye winter is right. I can't see us getting anymore snow this winter, so I guess we'll have to wait until December 5th...Happy gardening!

CWG,

I recall you mentioning over the weekend that Wes had prepared a winter analysis. When will that be posted?

Thanks for all your hard work this winter!

Bob

Posted by: BobMiller2 | February 28, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

@BobMiller2

I think we're running Wes' piece on Wednesday or Thursday. You will like it :)

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 28, 2011 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye winter....don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47

LOL!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 28, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

worldtraveler83, you can get info from JYO through Wunderground but at a quick glance it's not going to be that useful as it seems to miss a lot of precipitation and such. It's not the best station ever and not a climate site. Otherwise, I'd try playing around on CoCoRaHS to see if there are any observers in the area.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 28, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Ian, thanks. I'll check into that in the a.m. You are a great source of wonderful info that I refer to time and time again.

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | February 28, 2011 11:09 PM | Report abuse