The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 02/17/2011

PM Update: 70 likely for week's 3rd time Fri.

By Jason Samenow

For the second time this week, Reagan National reached 70 degrees today. It looks like tomorrow the airport is likely to score a hat trick, as 70 is well in play again. Enjoy, as colder air arrives this weekend.

Through Tonight: No heavy coats or scarfs required. Breezes from the south (at 5-10 mph) and our warm air mass keep temperatures from falling below the 40s in most spots. Skies are mainly clear and lows range from near 40 in the colder suburbs to the mid-to-upper 40s downtown.

Tomorrow (Friday): If you're taking the day off to make a four day weekend, great choice. This is best day of the four, as the warm flow from the southwest (at 10-15 mph) and partial sunshine (increase in high clouds in the afternoon) lift afternoon temperatures from 70-75. Challenging the record high at Reagan National of 76 from 1981 is a stretch, but not out of the question.

See David Streit's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

100-degree temperature swing confirmed: Last week, when parts of Oklahoma were shivering at around -30 degrees, the coldest readings ever recorded in the state, we mentioned (citing AccuWeather) within a week's time they could hit 70 as the jet streamed flipped. The 100 degree swing was completed today as documented by Jeff Masters' at wunderground, who put the swing in historical perspective.

By Jason Samenow  | February 17, 2011; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Drought conditions nearing metro region
Next: Next Tuesday snow: True or tease?

Comments

just got back from a marvelous run. High sun angle and springlike warmth does wonders for SAD sufferers!

Posted by: meteorolinguist | February 17, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

reached a high of 73 today - 26 degrees above "normal". there was no temperature that was 26 degrees below normal all winter. this should make next week's snow all the more spectacular.... ;-)

anyway, we often degenerate into the "snowlovers/haters" debate before during and after snow events. i'm curious to know:

*are you a snow lover and a heat hater?
(i.e., a "coldist")

*are you a snow hater and a heat lover?
(i.e., a "heatist")

*are you a snow hater and a heat hater??
(i.e., a "mildist")

*are you a snow lover and a heat lover?
(i.e., an "extremist")

i'll just go ahead and start things off by owning up to my own "extremist" nature. i like winter cold and summer hot. i was pleased w/all those giant snows of 09/10 winter, AND all those 90-degree-perfect-for-the-pool days last summer.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 17, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"For the second time this week, Reagan National reached 70 degrees today. It looks like tomorrow the airport is likely to score a hat trick, as 70 is well in play again."

If it does reach 70 tomorrow, maybe instead of Reagan Airport we should start calling it Alexander Semin Airport.

Posted by: 1995hoo | February 17, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I wanna play tennis. I wanna swing on the swingset. I wanna buy ice cream from the ice cream truck. I wanna plant some flowers.
But wait....I also still yearn to watch flakes pile up, catch them on my tongue & shovel them into tall stacks, & build an igloo.

This weather makes me confused.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 17, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

walter, I'm sort of concerned being labeled an extremist but sign me up for that group.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 17, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

ian,
thanks for playing along.

i realize those aren't perfect categories. there's nothing for "rain lovers". there are those who love the gentle rains (mildists?) and those who like thunderstorms and heavy rains (extremists?) of course those predilections might not match up with a person's temperature preferences...

feel free to make up more categories as needed...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 17, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't like being labeled an extremist either, but per Walter's definitions that's where I'd fall too.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 17, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Temperature Extremist checking in...and after making it through a -40 degree winter in Russia, that's saying a lot!

Posted by: kolya02 | February 17, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

To be more precise, and to give credit where it's due, CWG mentioned back on 2/10 that the much derided "Accuweather indicates" temperatures may be 100 degrees warmer. Also, for the record, Joe B had his "D.C. sees 70 by Valentines Day" call out in early February as I recall - so the long ranger was on point.

Posted by: manatt | February 17, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a coldist, no doubt. I feel so much better with the clear, cold winter air (I can breathe!) and I love snowfalls and walking or tromping around out in the winter woods. But I'm also an avid gardener. Gardening is NO fun in the ninety-degree humid, hot, buggy heat. When its extreme hot, you have to plan the whole day around finding a time cool enough to dig and weed and tend and water. And it's even worse when there's a string of smoggy, miserable air quality days and you're not supposed to be outside during the day. Its hard to go for a run or a walk without endangering your health on a code orange or red. I'm pretty sure sitting indoors with air conditioned air isn't too healthy either. I could do without extreme heat.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 17, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

70 degree temps? I missed them again. Monday started out cold, shot to 70 where ti stayed for about one hour, then dropped like a rock. Today I'm trapped at work and the temp has already dropped to the 60's here, which is nice but I wanted to feel the 70's. Maybe tomorrow by the time I get off work it will still be in the 70's. It would be nice if we could have the 70's on this thing called "the weekend" instead of only in the middle of the day on work days.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 17, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@manatt

Fair enough-I've now indicated that AccuWeather was the source of our mention (I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it was legit and I source and credit AccuWeather regularly).

Re: Bastardi-- I've said on numerous occasions he's a talented long-range forecaster, but that doesn't let him off the hook for overforecasting snow amounts for pretty much every storm this winter in DC and missing badly when he hyped a March-93 type epic storm last week for the East Coast which give Arkansas and Oklahoma good snows but was a bust for the East Coast.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 17, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I like weather change (defined as short term of course). Warm rain or cold rain doesn't bother me in the least, a week of drizzle is another story. I used to hate to see the big piles of snow melt in late winter, but that was in New England. In Virginia that would be pointless. The only weather I would like to linger is undeserved warm days like this. Otherwise, keep that change coming!

Posted by: eric654 | February 17, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

walter

im not sure where i fall in your weather labeler chart because i love all weather types and temps i just hate snow, sleet and ice.

Posted by: KRUZ | February 17, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

By Walter's definition, I am an extremist and proud of it!

I understand what eric654 is saying. Maybe I'm a little bit of a "change-ist." I lived In FL for five years and I have to say the perpetual sunshine in the winter got old. Funny to say that now!

Posted by: holly6 | February 17, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@Walter:

Could I label myself a "snow lover, warmth lover"? I love snow. I want nothing more between November and March in DC than at least one giant snowstorm. But if it isn't going to snow, I don't want it cold. I also love days like today, where the temperature reaches gorgeous, T-shirt highs that aren't too hot. But I am not a huge fan of 90+ days, so I wouldn't really fall into the "extremist" category you mention above...

Maybe I'm a "moderate extremist"? (Lol, I know, oxymoron...)

Posted by: gewaldron | February 17, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse