The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:30 PM ET, 02/22/2011

The last flyer run

By Kevin Ambrose

A sledding run on a flyer sled in Oakton, Virginia on February 22, 2011. The temperature was 22 degrees and a thick layer of ice covered the road.

On February 10, as our recent spring-like weather filled the forecast headlines, I posted that I was taking the last sledding run of the season. I thought spring might come early. Some readers of that post agreed. Well, unfortunately for many of us, we were wrong. Last night's snow and ice storm gave us particularly icy and treacherous roads for our morning commute. It also provided one last chance to break out the flyer sled and take it for a fast, slippery run.

Going forward, I will predict this is the last sledding run of the season. I was wrong almost two weeks ago, but winter for the Middle Atlantic region is running out of time. We'll see soon enough if this prediction is correct.

By Kevin Ambrose  | February 22, 2011; 7:30 PM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Clear and chilly
Next: Forecast: Slowly warmer, rain late Thurs.

Comments

Thanks for the vicarious thrill.

Posted by: jenniej | February 22, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

That was great.
Who knows; there still may be one last run possible before the solstice?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 22, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

-equinox-

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 22, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice final run, Kevin. Good job dodging the trash cans. Looking forward to the first run next December 5!

Posted by: NoVaSnow | February 22, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree that it's highly likely that the snow is over until next winter.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 22, 2011 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm wrong; I'd love to see one more good snowstorm this season and another final sledding run. Otherwise, we can wait for the first snowstorm of next winter, perhaps on December 5 again.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 22, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Kevin, that is quite the hill! Good idea for a video. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 23, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

So how come you don't post the entire run? It ends way too soon.

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 23, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

ennepe68: Next time, I promise to post the entire run.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 23, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse