The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 03/10/2011

Rains so far and coastal & river flooding

By Jason Samenow

(updated at 1:30 p.m.)

Radar & lightning: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Rain continues steadily but should be more intermittent in the early-to-mid afternoon. Enough rain has fallen well to our northwest to prompt flood warnings for the upper Potomac River from Harpers Ferry to Point of Rocks, and for the Monocacy River around Frederick. A flood warning is also in effect to our southwest for the Rappahannock River at Remington (affecting Fauquier and Culpeper counties) and around Fredericksburg. See the full list of flood warnings.

In addition to the inland river flooding, strong flow from the southeast has caused tidal waters to rise, prompting the National Weather Service to issue a Coastal Flood Warning through 3 a.m. tonight.

Here is some of the key information from the warning:

* TIDAL ANOMALY...2 TO 3 FEET ABOVE NORMAL.

* TIMING...NEAR TIMES OF HIGH TIDE THROUGH TONIGHT.

* EXPECTED IMPACTS...MODERATE TIDAL FLOODING DURING TIMES OF HIGH TIDE.

The NWS warning includes a listing of area coastal water high tides encompassing the tidal Potomac and Chesapeake Bay.

TBD is reporting some flooding in Old Town, Alexandria.

Rainfall totals (see list) so far have generally been around 0.5-1.0", with some higher totals over 1" south, east and southeast of the District. For the most part, I haven't seen reports of street flooding and creek/stream flooding in the immediate metro region, but that is possible later.

The action becomes more intermittent late this morning and into the early-to-mid afternoon, but more heavy rains and thunderstorms (some of which may be severe especially south of town) are possible later this afternoon into the evening.

Total rainfall potential remains in the 1.5-2.5" range (with some locally higher amounts), but for the immediate metro region, the lower end of that range may be more likely based on the latest model data.

By Jason Samenow  | March 10, 2011; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Floods, Latest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Heavy rainfall likely, thunder possible
Next: Spring into action, gardeners!

Comments

Thanks so much for the updates! I really appreciate all you do. I thought you might also like to know that Capital Weather Gang was cited as the weather resource for the soccer tournament (Arlington Spring Invitational Soccer Tournament) my daughter is participating in this weekend! So glad to see you getting more widespread recognition as the go to weather resource!

Posted by: soleil2000 | March 10, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does that second batch of rain look like it's lifting north and would miss us? I presume that's not the case, and it will start shifting eastward at some point?

Posted by: FH59312 | March 10, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@soleil2000

Thanks for the nice words. Let's hope tomorrow's sun dries out the fields for weekend soccer. Good thing they're not playing tomorrow right after these rains.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 10, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@FH59312

Some more rain will develop along the front pushing through, but it's not looking as potentially impressive as it did this time yesterday.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 10, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Too darned rainy for me...when it gets to a flood threat it's TOO DARNED RAINY!!!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 10, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I hate March in this area...too wet, and not warm enough in between systems to dry out the soil...

Posted by: weatherdude | March 10, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I see everyone seems grumpy today on the blog, lots of complaining and all. Cold rain=murmuring.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 10, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

it keeps trying to stop raining here...but then...it starts up again. the closest weatherbug station just hit 1" of rain for the day here in falls church.

anybody know how to access their totals for yesterday, so i can figure the amount for the storm as a whole?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 10, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

should the rain this afternoon in Baltimore also be less than predicted yesterday?

Posted by: Raineman | March 10, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@Raineman

I don't think the rain will be less than predicted in most places - but perhaps toward the low end of ranges - mainly west of D.C.. In Baltimore, looks to me, like rainfall totals could easily exceed 2". You're already up over 1".

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 10, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Walter,
Are you trying to calibrate your weather station? The problem I have is I am in between two weatherbug stations. One is showing .59 (from midnight I assume) and the other is showing 1.44. My personal station is showing .98 since yesterday before the rain event started. I can find Leesburg Airport precip for yest and today but even the 7 miles makes a difference in the amount.

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | March 10, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I just moved here from the Pacific NW where I've spent a collective 15 years and never owned an umbrella. I know rain. This is some serious rain. And, I'm carrying an umbrella.

Posted by: StephinDC | March 10, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Northern end of Anne Arundel County is having flooding issues from what I am told. After school activities at Lindale Middle School are cancelled this afternoon.

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | March 10, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBAlexandria | March 10, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Through 2:00, 1.77" down the road at BWI.

Posted by: marklandterrapins | March 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE when it rains! It's great for the environment, the growth of beautiful spring flowers and puts me to sleep better than a warm glass of milk. =]

Posted by: cbmuzik | March 10, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Up to 2.11" now at BWI. It's really coming down out there.

Posted by: marklandterrapins | March 10, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

worldtraveler83,
i'm not trying to calibrate my weather station. i'm just trying to figure out how much rain has fallen here. the "weather station" i have only measures temp, daily min/max temps, RH, pressure and pressure trend. there's a weatherbug station practically across the street from my house, so i'm assuming those rain totals are good for me, but they start measuring at midnight. i want to add yesterday's to today's reading to get a total, but can't find yesterday's.

btw, now 1.18 here since midnight, but who knows how much since the rain started...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 10, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Walter,
You definitely need to get one of the cool rain gauges ;-)

I emailed Weatherbug the question and they replied back to me that if I had Weatherbug Plus I would be able to access historical data saved up to 120 days for individual weather stations. Only available to W.B.Plus not the free version. He did send me to this website:
See if that helps.

I only have the free version so I can't help you there.

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | March 10, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

worldtraveler83,
well, gee, thanks for looking into that. i imagine i'll be getting a fancier weather station eventually.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 10, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Along the river by my house it looks pretty bad. Severe weather in southern Virginia that looks like it will plow right over us. The only county that I remember that was under a severe thundersorm warning was Cumberland county. There were a few others too.

Posted by: andrewjohnsonlevine | March 10, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Walter,
You're welcome.
Gotta birthday coming up?

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | March 10, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

worldtraveler83,
well, thanks again. birthday's in july. i bookmarked that page.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 10, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse