The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:30 PM ET, 03/ 9/2011

Images of day: Massive storm, big time rains

By Jason Samenow

rain-sat.jpg
Afternoon satellite image of East Coast frontal system (left), rainfall forecast (right, first purple shade is 1.5", bright red shade is 3.5"). Both images courtesy NOAA.

If you have any question about why we're expecting heavy rain through tomorrow night and possible flooding of streams and creeks, just look at the expanse of the cloud field (above left) associated with the frontal system coming through over the next 36 hours.

NOAA's Visualization Laboratory, which captured the image, wrote: "This satellite image from GOES East taken in the afternoon of March 9, 2011 shows the huge size of the low pressure system, although the rains will be concentrated east of the Appalachian Range."

To complement NOAA's satellite image, I pasted in NOAA's latest rainfall forecast (above right) for this juiced up storm. NOAA projects two to three inches of rain for the metro region.

Honorable mention for image(s) of the day: Radar captures of the squall line that tore through New Orleans posted by Jesse Ferrell at AccuWeather, associated with this same storm.

By Jason Samenow  | March 9, 2011; 6:30 PM ET
Categories:  Floods, Latest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Soaking rains gradually arrive
Next: Forecast: Heavy rainfall likely, thunder possible

Comments

Are you ready to get wet? Find those rain boots and cover jackets... I better look for them, too!

Any gardeners or farmers reading this--happy about this much rain? Or, in your opinion, is it too much...

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 9, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

umm, looking at that GOES image...does that storm have an "eye" ?!

Posted by: AndrewRockville | March 9, 2011 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Wish it was all snow.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | March 9, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@AndrewRockville

Don't think that's an eye-like feature...just a random easing in the cloud cover. Low pressure center was south of there.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 9, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

If this were snow, that red spot would be a big blank hole over the DC area.

Posted by: JCR7 | March 9, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@JCR7

if this were snow, DC would get 25-30 inches.

CWG,

i am a farmer out in barnesville and all this rain for us will be bad. the fertilizer we just put down is going to wash away. :(

Posted by: SNOWLUVER | March 9, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@JCR7

if this were snow, DC would get 25-30 inches.

CWG,

Posted by: SNOWLUVER | March 9, 2011 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Drought buster!

Posted by: jaybird926 | March 9, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

If you look at radar now and trends from the last few hours, it looks completely unimpressive - almost like the bulk of the rain is going to miss us.

I'm not saying it will miss us, but it's interesting - if this were a pending snowstorm, we'd all be crying "bust" right about now.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 9, 2011 8:24 PM | Report abuse

March showers bring...depression. I hope this means a dry early Spring.

Posted by: mphamlin | March 9, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Folks, I posted these remarks earlier today, but they bear repeating. I'm beyond scared to death with all this rain coming. My shrink told me to buy an umbrella. I'm going to do that, but I'm still so worried. What happens if I get swept up by a raging Middle Patuxent Creek that runs about 1/2 mile behind my condo? Please, will someone advise me? Should I buy some t-paper, milk and bread just in case I can't get out for a few days?

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 9, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84, your plan sounds solid. I'd include some Jack Daniels or Jameson on your list though. You know, just in case. . .

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 9, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

some march weather trivia:

wettest.. 8.84" in 1891

driest....0.05" in 2006

snowiest..19.3" in 1914

avg pcp...3.60"

avg snowfall..1.6"

record high...93° in 1907

record low...4° in 1873

lowest high temp...20° in 1873 & 1885

and on this day (march 9) in 1999, we had 8.4" of snow

Source: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/dca/Dcamar.txt

gosh, march sure can be a dynamic month - - you could have a temp of 4° or 93° during the same month!

Posted by: BobMiller2 | March 9, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84,
hurry... go now! don't forget eggs!

300_sq_ft,
just based on the radar, i can totally see us sneaking through that little gap in the radar and getting essentially nothing. but the models seem to be showing something "new" popping up tomorrow kind of behind the radar stuff.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 9, 2011 9:23 PM | Report abuse

lowest high temp...20° in 1873 & 1885
and on this day (march 9) in 1999, we had 8.4" of snow

Source: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/dca/Dcamar.txt

Posted by: BobMiller2 | March 9, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse
_________________________
You forgot one thing:

most dreadfully scary rain storm ever requiring everybody to be equipped with an umbrella and duck boots: March 9, 2011

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 9, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

record low...4° in 1873
lowest high temp...20° in 1873 & 1885
and on this day (march 9) in 1999, we had 8.4" of snow

Source: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/dca/Dcamar.txt

Posted by: BobMiller2 | March 9, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse
__________________________
Fascinating. What's the chance we could have a hurricane in March? Please report minimal at best as I'm already scared to death.

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 9, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Is it raining yet? -taps fingers-

Posted by: megamuphen | March 9, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse
_______________________
Yes, here in lower HoCo it's raining men!!

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 9, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh brother...

Posted by: natsncats | March 9, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@walter

I know what you're saying. It kind of looks like a rain hole is about to come our way.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 9, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

@walter

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 9, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse
____________________
I think you're right. I just talked to my brother in Roanoke. Skies are clear, winds are calm with occasional gusts out of the N-NE at 1 mph, barometric pressure is 31.85 and rising, temp is now at 71 degrees F.

Was all my worry and fear for naught?

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 9, 2011 9:57 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84 the temp in roanoke is 44 not 70!

Posted by: teebyrd86 | March 9, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

rpcv84 the temp in roanoke is 44 not 70!

Posted by: teebyrd86 | March 9, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse
____________________
It's 70 inside the house. How stupid of me. I'm so upset about all this rain I can't even think straight.

Posted by: rpcv84 | March 9, 2011 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Showers are around. A bit damp in Cleveland Park.. Who is seeing precip? I know you're out there!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 9, 2011 10:20 PM | Report abuse

It is actually raining here, I went and checked after I posted. :-)

Posted by: megamuphen | March 9, 2011 10:28 PM | Report abuse

that satellite image makes so much more sense when you've just had an exam on convergence and divergence, jetstreaks, and occluded fronts. I will never look at these storms the same way I used to :)

Posted by: meteorolinguist | March 9, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

High winds and rain started about half hour ago at the 301 Bridge.

@rpcv84 - Abandon your car... NOW!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 9, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

light, polite rain in falls church. this is so much less stressful than watching a snowstorm develop (or not develop - as tends to be the case...). if the rain under-performs, i'm like, "meh...oh well...what's the diff?"

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 9, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a madonna holding the baby Jesus.

Posted by: blasmaic | March 10, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse