Hello and Welcome (or Welcome Back)

Just under one year ago today, Paul Kane inaugurated this blog with a pledge to provide "a behind-the-curtains look at what really drives the decision-making process on Capitol Hill." Paul did that and did it well, and he has now moved over to the Washington Post to cover Congress full-time for the newspaper.

I'm Ben Pershing, and I'm happy to be the second-ever author of Capitol Briefing. Like Paul as well as fellow bloggers Chris Cillizza and Mary Ann Akers, I am joining washingtonpost.com from the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call. I spent 10 years there, most recently serving as Deputy Editor. Before holding that post I was a reporter for several years, covering everything from the House and Senate leadership and committees to Congressional campaigns and the Capitol Police department.

I'm hoping to bring that experience to bear here at Capitol Briefing, providing breaking news, analysis, context and even some humor to help you make sense of Congress. While the presidential campaign is sucking up most of the political oxygen, there will still be plenty of action on the Hill this year for me to dissect and discuss, and I'm looking forward to it.

As a caller to a talk radio show might put it, I am "first time/long time," meaning that I am a longtime reader and fan of blogs but this will be my first attempt to write one. I'm especially excited to start hearing from you, faithful readers, to get your take on what's happening on the Hill and what I can do to make this blog better each day. Start the conversation in the comments section below, or e-mail me here.

-- Ben Pershing

By Eric Pianin  |  January 8, 2008; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About Ben Pershing
Next: Larry Craig Makes Second Attempt to Withdraw Guilty Plea

Comments

Welcome Ben, you have Big shoes to fill, I'm sure you'll succeed

Posted by: Jakey | January 8, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck in the new position!

Posted by: Jeanne | January 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I am delighted to hear of Ben's new position. I trust he will bring the intelligence, integrity and wit that has characterized him as long as I have known him. And that's a long time! Best of luck, Ben and I will look forward to much thoughtful reading.
Susie Franklin
Carmel Valley, California

Posted by: Susie Franklin | January 27, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Susie Franklin
Carmel Valley, California

Posted by: Susie Franklin | January 27, 2008 2:10 AM | Report abuse

BP,
You're a real pro and a great guy to boot.
Congratulations and best wishes for continued success and excellence.
JG

Posted by: Jonathan | January 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Really, mine it´s not a comment.
I just want to share with you my song for Peace with Dignity in Colombia and in all the world.
It`s URL es http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EDmiRh4o2Y
Please, read the section About This Video. There is the translation
into English (Interpretation) that I did.
Excuse me for so many mistakes.
I´d like to get your opinion.
Best wishes.

Posted by: Alberto Segura Rojas | February 8, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Welcome...if your future articles are similar to the Renzi piece, you have a great future in this space. I have the unfortunate "pleasure" of having been in contact with most of his kids and they are just as spoiled rotten at Ricky.

Good luck with your column.

Posted by: Michael1945 | February 22, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Hi Ben -

I have a solution to the current Democratic nomination dilemma.

I am retired having worked for AT&T, Lucent Technologies, and HP as a business analyst

The solution is low cost, does not require a re-vote, and should appease those voters in Florida and Michigan who consider themselves disenfranchised.

If you see merit in such a concept, reply to sheldon720@comcast.net

Posted by: Sheldon Sobel | March 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

SO BEN HOW ABOUT DOING A STORY FOR AMERICANS FOR AMERICA FOR ONCE

LET THE ELITES KNOW THAT WE HAVE AN END GAME TOO please tell congress we have it with them supporting wallstreet..they forget without us america buying and working they have no money comming in. we will have a REVOLUTION AND BOYCOTT IN AMERICA AND SHUT DOWN ALL AMERICA SOON...

1) CANCEL YOUR CABLE / SATTELITE TV: let the corporate media moguls (and their advertisers) know that you will no longer pay for their propaganda (and useless products).

2) DIVEST FROM WALL ("WAR") STREET : the banking ELITE are systematically selling out the middle class to the lowest global bidder yet they still demand the average taxpayer to bail them out when times are tough.. start your own HEDGE FUND and invest in land, GOLD and SILVER.

3) START YOUR OWN BANK - buy a fire safe and fill it w/ cash/coin/metals etc.. don't empower the banking ELITE to do funny things with YOUR MONEY.

4) SUPPORT & DEVELOP LOCAL ECONOMIES !
- support local ORGANIC growers or GROW some of your own FOOD;
- implement ALTERNATIVE ENERGY sources (wood, solar, hybrid autos etc ..)
- develop LOCAL means of commerce not based on fraudulent Federal Reserve Notes.

5) AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE BEGINS WITH YOU - healthy eating habits and exercise will create less demand on the system meaning lower costs. You'll have plenty of time to work out once you UNPLUG THE TV DRUG.

6) STOP UNNECESSARY CONSUMPTION & STOP USING YOUR CREDIT CARD !

7) DECENTRALIZE ! - the global economy is nothing more than a ploy to centralize power, control and wealth into the hands of an elite few - blinded by misinformation, the American people are buying right into it - the rich get richer and the middle class is quickly becoming the working poor.

for-america@hotmail.com