Chafee Puts Cash Behind Obama Endorsement

Looking for evidence that Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) really is cutting across party lines to bring people together? Look no further than ex-Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R.I.), who left the GOP after losing his 2006 re-election race and then endorsed Obama's presidential bid in February.

"Ultimately the war vote is what's really important for me," Chafee, the lone Senate Republican to vote against going to war in Iraq, explained when he announced his endorsement.

But Chafee didn't just endorse Obama. In early March, he quietly donated $2,300 to the Illinoisian's presidential campaign. Chafee's donation flew under the radar, perhaps because he made it as a personal contribution rather than from his Senate campaign committee, which still had $74,000 in it as of March 31. (Attention, Federal Election Commission: Chafee did not provide information about his profession or employer -- or lack thereof -- when he made the donation to Obama. Tsk tsk.)

Actually, from Obama's campaign filing, it appears that Chafee's wife, Stephanie, originally made two $2,300 contributions in her name to Obama, and then one of the donations was "reattributed" to Lincoln Chafee.

Either way, there's a lot more where that came from. In 2006, Roll Call pegged Chafee -- the son of the late Sen. John Chafee (R-R.I.) and heir to a family fortune -- as the 9th richest member of Congress, with a net worth of roughly $40 million. Might he throw some more cash Obama's way during the general election, or even start donating to other Democratic candidates? Or is he really, as he said when he left the GOP, an "independent" now whose fondness extends only to Obama? We'll keep an eye on those FEC reports.

By Ben Pershing  |  May 29, 2008; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  2008 Campaign
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is Congress Too Small?
Next: Dole on the Air in N.C.

Comments

It's another one of those "please remember me" endorsements when you are picking your cabinet.

Posted by: ZarDotZ | May 29, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Chafee was another one of those "Milliken" Republicans. Too bad he got picked off. He's was a decent guy. Yes, I would like to see him in an administration position.

Posted by: majorteddy | May 29, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, the results from this poll say everything. You won't believe these results!

Posted by: Ferdenand | May 29, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Lincoln Chafee is a man of integrity.
I don't think he needs a job as badly as some of you thought he would. He doesn't have to work to make a living. He endorsed Obama for the same reason as Ted Kennedy did.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Because of my admiration and trust, since Lincoln Chafee endorses Obama, now so do I. The Senate is poorer without Chafee there to provide honesty and courage. May Obama do the same as President.

Posted by: Wanda Seglund | May 30, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

After having worked as a staff memmer for Senator Chafee, I can unequivocally attest to his honesty and insight. Therefore, if he supports Obama, I will support Obama

Posted by: constance keogh | May 30, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

After having worked as a staff member for Senator Chafee, I can unequivocally attest to his honesty and insight. Therefore, if he supports Obama, I will support Obama

Posted by: constance keogh | May 30, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

There is a story on the Internet of a vast investigation into Chicago political corruption. There are many facets to the story, with many various articles. One subject is very intriguing to me, Obama's donor lists. There is a list of his $200 & under donors & a list of his $200-millions list. Do you think that any of Obama's backers have their eyes on these lists for their own campaigns,as a "thank you" from Obama?

Posted by: afed27 | May 30, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

All decent people with integrity will support Obama.
GO,OBAMA !

Posted by: Hussien for America | May 30, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

All decent people with integrity will support Obama.Posted by: Hussien********** people like you are one of the reasons Obama will lose the election. Keep up the name calling McCain loves it!

Posted by: CarolTate2 | May 30, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I remember his stance against the war and I like the guy. I recently listened to a interview and they all but blackballed him. He sleeps well I bet.

Posted by: pubichaironmycokecan | May 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Hussien for America" is the same person: "CarolTate2". Obvious.

Posted by: Raul Fernandes Sobrinho | May 31, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse