Rep. Tubbs Jones In Critical Condition

UPDATE 2:40 PM: The Cleveland Plain-Dealer, which had also reported that Tubbs Jones had died, now says she is in critical condition and that "reports shortly after noon had reported her death, but those were denied at a 2:30 p.m. news conference." The Associated Press reported minutes ago that Tubbs Jones had died, according to a Democratic official, and then retracted that report. Capitol Briefing sincerely apologizes for the confusion and will continue to update.

There will be a prayer vigil for Tubbs Jones at 5 p.m. EST in the Cannon Caucus Room on Capitol Hill, according to her office.

ORIGINAL POST: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, a key figure in Ohio Democratic politics and the chairwoman of the House ethics committee, died today at a Cleveland hospital after suffering an apparent ruptured aneurysm while driving Tuesday night, according to a Democratic source. She was 58.

Tubbs Jones was found by police unconscious at the wheel of her car Tuesday night, after officers noticed her vehicle swerving erratically. She was taken to Huron Hospital in East Cleveland, where she reportedly never regained consciousness. Her office released a statement earlier today saying that she had an aneurysm, or dilated blood vessel, apparently in her brain. Dr. Michael Lim, an assistant professor of neurosurgery, at The Johns Hopkins University Hospital, said the injury was most likely a "ruptured aneurysm," meaning the blood vessel burst.

Tubbs Jones has represented parts of Cleveland and its suburbs since 1998. A former prosecutor and judge, she has chaired the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct since the start of the 110th Congress.

Tubbs Jones is the first black woman to represent Ohio in Congress. She was a strong supporter of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) during the Democratic presidential primary but later switched to back Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.). Like her fellow Democratic members of Congress, she is scheduled to be a superdelegate at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

By Ben Pershing  |  August 20, 2008; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rep. Tubbs Jones Hospitalized
Next: Confusion Over Tubbs Jones's Condition

Comments

I am shocked and saddened by the death of Rep. Tubbs-Jones. I never met her, and I did not understand her support of Hillary Clinton. But I certainly remember her statements on the House floor following the 2004 election. She saw that the vote had been cooked by the state Republican machine. I wish her family condolences.

Posted by: Cecilia | August 20, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think she is dead.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

She is not dead the reports were in error

Posted by: Marcus | August 20, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

i have always seen stephanie on the news, at press conferences and otherwise. i have never heard a negative word against her as a person and politician. may god rest her soul and comfort her loved ones.

Posted by: jo croxton | August 20, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Stephanie and I attended Case Western Reserve University together in the late 1960's early 70's. I am so saddened by her passing. She was brilliant as a student leader and I have vicariously enjoyed her success as she progressed as a National leader. God bless her family during this very difficult time. I will miss reading about her. Look out heaven, but you already know who you're getting.

Posted by: Ruth Leah Finkelstein FSM '72 | August 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

-One neat lady!

She represented the very best of Ohio...and while that may not sound like much on the surface, she deepened the gene pool of that woeful place.

RIP

Posted by: Kase | August 20, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Representative Tubbs Jones was taken off life support at ~1pm today. My husband works for another member of congress and he just called to say that she had passed. She was an amazing woman. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a small event a few months ago. She was sitting down and looked tired after a long day of votes. I said hello to her and she, with the most authentic and gracious response I've ever received from a member of congress, expressed her gratitude that I'd introduced myself to her and she told me how much she enjoyed our conversation. She was so down to earth that I even shared with her the then secret news that I was pregnant. I am very sorry to hear that she has passed.

Posted by: Julie | August 20, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Correction to my post - the congressman's source was AP. The congresswoman is still on life support as Mr. Pershing states.

Posted by: Julie | August 20, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

respected? how so? look deeper...

Posted by: deep throat | August 20, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I can certainly understand the confusion. She is in very grave condition and her family now has some tough choices to make. I've been there and my heart goes out to them.

Posted by: mdreader | August 20, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Congresswoman Tubbs Jones visited a meeting I attended in Cleveland. We were sadden to hear sevral weeks that her husband had passed away in heir home.

She was a wonderful person and a good representative of the people. She will be missed by many.

Posted by: Denny | August 20, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I am SO SAD. She was the most wonderful woman I have ever met. She worked so hard for Hillary.I am so sorry.

Posted by: nancysabet | August 20, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

DENVER HOTLINE : (617) 381 - 4455
Get Up To The Minute Recorded Information on
Events & PUMA Whereabouts!

Candle Lights Set to Rise
In Commemoration of Hillary Clinton’s Historic Presidential Campaign!
will take place on the evening of August 25th from 6 until 10 p.m., in
beautiful downtown Denver’s Cheesman Park.

NEW event, Special prayer for Hillary
On August 26th, there is going to be a 7 AM Mass for Senator Hillary Clinton at Cathedral Immaculate Conception, a beautiful church in Downtown, Denver. (1530 Logan st.)

Posted by: nancysabet | August 20, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Good God! Is she dead or not?

Posted by: Get it right | August 20, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry to hear that she and her family are going through this difficulty. As a conservative, I often disagreed with her stance, but as a human being, I respect her and her views. God Bless her and her family.

Posted by: Jeanine | August 20, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

As of 3:30, reports on radio in Cleveland state that a team of neurosurgeons from the Cleveland Clinic and Huron Rd. Hospital (where Rep. Tubbs-Jones was taken by ambulance) have stated she suffered an aneurism, that it is inoperable, and that she has "very little" brain activity at the moment.

Things do not look good. My prayers for a great lady and her family.

Posted by: jahpdq@aol.com | August 20, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

So Sad

Posted by: Al | August 20, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I also went to law school at CWRU with her and she is one of the few students I remember. She was bright, personable, and kind person.

LARRY BLACK
AUSTIN TEXAS

Posted by: Larry Black | August 20, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry for Rep. Tubbs Jones condition. However, let's not make this political. She was for Hillary Clinton. I listened to what she said about Obama. I was disappointed to say the least. She is and will be a great woman of character and justice. I wish her improved health and God's blessings. I respect her for her work and her devotion to society.

Posted by: Gene Reid | August 20, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I am a relatively conservative guy, but Loyd, that is a pretty scummy thing to say.

It makes me hope you're a liberal posing as a moron in order to make conservatives look heartless -- which would, come to think of it, make you a moron either way.

Posted by: Matt | August 20, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone who saw Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" will remember Tubbs Jones' impassioned plea to the Senate not to accept the results of the 2000 election. That was, perhaps, one of her most iconic moments."
by mdreader

Firstly, I'm always sorry to hear of suffering. Best wishes to Ms. Jones and her family.

Secondly, the above quote from mdreader is inflamatory and unnecessary. Micheal Moore is akin to the devil in the view of most Americans.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

nancysabet: If Congresswoman Tubbs-Jones were able to speak, she would probably tell you to take your political agenda items to another forum and not to embarrass her with your garbage. She would also tell you and your friends to grow up and stop acting like spoiled brats. No one is paying attention to you! Ms. Tubbs-Jone could be quite out spoken, especially when speaking the truth.

I wish the Congresswoman a speedy and complete recovery. She is in my prayers.

Posted by: A Good Person | August 20, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Stephanie Tubbs Jones is or was one of the finest women I have known. She fought for people of all races and genders. I am deeply shocked and saddened by this threat to her life.

Posted by: Betty Louann | August 20, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I will pray for you Loyd, you really need prayers, and support from your nearest mental health facility. Most Important, my prayers go out to the Mrs. Jones and her family.

Posted by: Sorry for Loyd | August 20, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Stephanie Tubbs Jones stood up to the fraud in election 2004 by objecting to the certification of the OHIO vote in congress (and she did "have a senator"). She is a true hero of democracy and it was my great pleasure to meet her and interview her for my documentary "Hacking Democracy." As we approach the next election we need people like Stephanie. I am praying for her recovery.

Posted by: Robert C. C. | August 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE REMOVE COMMENT FROM LOYD.

I live in CA and hadn't heard about Ms. Tubbs for some reason. We are about the same age and I have some awareness of the guts it took to blaze her trail. Sorry to find out this way. I will rent Fahrenheit 9/11--thanks to md reader above--and look for writings on her life.Peace to the many who care about her.

Posted by: Louise McGuire | August 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Ironic...a hanging chad obit.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

She was a PUMA to the end

Posted by: Pumalicious | August 20, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"As for the Washington Post, it should be clear about reporting one's death as there are consequences to family and friends. Apparently recent layoffs are straining the "old media's" ability to obtain and report basic facts."

This Washington Post error is something new? I don't think so. More important to be the 1st to report than to accurate!!!

Posted by: spikenails | August 20, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if she represented "the very best of Ohio". She rode on the backs of many lobbyist and special interest groups. In fact in 2005 she was the fourth-highest congressperson with total trips sponsored by lobbyists.

She was just a typical politician who did nothing special.

A good riddance of bad rubbish!

Posted by: Ohio | August 20, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mort | August 20, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Her seat was in bad need of "turnover." I don't wish death on anyone, but she was a definite lobbyist puppet.

Posted by: Jessica Jackson | August 20, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Ohio and Jessica Jackson.

Posted by: Conehead Buddha | August 20, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"She represented the very best of the back slapping, pocket lining, special interest trip going, old style politicians."

No wonder she was a supporter of HRC!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

She'll be missed by the many lobbyists that took her under their wing.

Posted by: Lorainne Newman | August 20, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I am sadden to hear the news about Ms. Tubbs. I don't know her personally but my prayers go out to those that do. I have always enjoyed watching her on television. She has such a glowing personality and always made me smile with her comments.

I, for one, will miss her on the political scene.

God bless you Ms. Tubbs.

Posted by: Sarah | August 20, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

This is an embarrassment to WaPo -- well, just the latest. The main thing I always read from MSM type against bloggers is that they don't run items that haven't been substantiated. So WaPo's no better than a blogger? Worse than a blogger? Disgraceful. Bottom line: you can't believe it just because it is in the Post. Try worrying a little more about accuracy and a little less about getting a cable TV gig or capitalizing the "T".

Posted by: gbooksdc | August 20, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

And "AP reported it" is not an excuse, unless it is running PURELY as an AP item. Once it goes out under a WaPo byline, it's a WaPo story. Serves you right for the many times you rip off someone else's reporting without attribution -- call it Revenge of the City Paper.

Posted by: gbooksdc | August 20, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

As someone who disagreed with Rep. Tubbs Jones during this primary season, I admired her strength and pray for her full recovery.

Those of you who can't set aside your political agendas long enough to see that a human life is fighting to survive should be ashamed of yourselves....and should shut the hell up.

Posted by: Obama Supporter | August 20, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Value human life? You need to stick another piece of sweet potato pie in your mouth. Politics are politics! I wonder what would be written if our President was in the same condition? Liberal nonsense, thats what!!!

Posted by: Rebekah McCain | August 20, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Stephanie is a down to earth human being who'll stop in Heinen's grocery store to yack about politics or your kids. She's devoted to her own family and supports families in general.

Maybe all the political labelling is tantamount to name-calling and is getting us no where? Rebekkah, for instance, mistakenly implies that Bush 43 is a "conservative?" Nuh-uh. He is many things, but a true conservative is not among them. Genuine conservatives don't spend money like drunk sailors while fighting a war on their grandkids' credit cards and providing superior pay & benefits to mercenaries to do much of the work.

Barry Goldwater was a Conservative.
W - not so much.

Hey!
For the time being, why don't we allow my neighbor to be a quality human being rather than a "Liberal" nogoodnick?

Posted by: I Live in Stephanie's district | August 20, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse