Rep. Tubbs Jones Hospitalized

Tubbs Jones
Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones.

UPDATE 12:35 PM: Tubbs Jones' office has released a statement saying that she suffered an aneurysm while driving last night. "At the present time Rep. Tubbs Jones condition has stabilized and she is receiving the best care available," the statement says. Local news reports say she remains unconscious.

Tubbs Jones, 58, is the first black woman to represent Ohio in Congress. She was a strong supporter of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) during the Democratic presidential primary but later switched to back Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.). Like her fellow Democratic members of Congress, she is scheduled to be a superdelegate at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

ORIGINAL POST: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D), the chairwoman of the House ethics committee, has been hospitalized in Ohio after being found unconscious at the wheel of a car, according to several local news reports.

Her family and the hospital where she is being treated are not releasing any information about her condition. "According to police, Tubbs Jones went off the road at Lee Road and Monticello Boulevard in Cleveland Heights on Tuesday night, due to what appears to be a medical condition," reports Fox 8 News in Cleveland. WOIO Channel 19 reports the lawmaker was behind the wheel of a fast-moving car, and when police pulled her over, they found her unconscious. The station says she was "stabilized" by doctors after arriving at Huron Hospital.

Tubbs Jones has represented parts of Cleveland and its suburbs since 1998. A former prosecutor and judge, she has chaired the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct since the start of the 110th Congress.

By Ben Pershing  |  August 20, 2008; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  Ethics and Rules , House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Big Oil Bob' vs. Flip-Flopping Udall
Next: Rep. Tubbs Jones In Critical Condition

Comments

Many, many people are questioning the MSM as to why McCain is getting away with all his lies, yet you people never miss a chance to go after Obama. Why aren't you reporting on all the "sisters" Barbie Doll McCain has refused to acknowledge? If it was Michelle Obama you would have major headlines. What's the deal? We would all like to know!!!!!

Posted by: mnash | August 20, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

WHEN YOU BETRAY THE PEOPLE, WHO ELECTED
YOU REP:TUBBIE,FOR BACKSTABBING HILLARY
& BILLY WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO
HAPPEN,SHE DID'NT GIVE A DARN ABOUT US OR
YOU, MAYOR NUTTER PROBABLY WILL BE NEXT,LEAVE THE PIPE ALONG HILLARY LOVES.

Posted by: TYRONE | August 20, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Tyrone, I don't think the hand of God is going to strike down everyone who disagrees with you politically.

I am an Obama supporter but I only have praise and gratitude for people who put their lives into public service. I believe that is a lot closer to Senator Obama's philosophy than your message is.

Get a grip please and I hope the Congresswoman recovers soon and completely.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | August 20, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

she probably got sick from having to make excuses for not having ethic violation investigations of the dems...

Posted by: Dwight | August 20, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

CNN reports Rep. Tubb Jones just died.

Posted by: ddetorres | August 20, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Tubb Jones has died, for some of you idiotic posters! Ask anyone in Ohio about her work in Congress, she was well respected. Stop making this election all about race, it is getting to be ridiculous! She was an ardent supporter of Sen. Clinton's and then backed Obama when Sen. Clinton conceded.

Posted by: FarewellRep.TubbsJones | August 20, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Do not gnash!
Do not bash
God took the sister
and left the trash

like ...tyrone & mnash

Posted by: Rev Jackson | August 20, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

SORRY FOR MY EARLIER COMMENT
REP.TUBBS I DID,NT THINK YOUR ILLNESS WAS THAT SERIOUS,I WILL PRAY FOR YOU, AND ASK THE LORD FOR FORGIVENESS IN MY COMMENT!

Posted by: TYRONE | August 20, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

When will the Obamessiah lay his healing hands on her and raise her from the dead?

Posted by: Bill | August 20, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

In this job you're lucky if it doesn't make it harder.

Posted by: Freddie Farkington | August 20, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Bill, will Ms Tubbs Jones come back from the grave and smack you upside the head?

Posted by: What A Cretin! | August 20, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

She is NOT dead where are you getting this?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

If it could only have been John Mccain.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

She is dead. I am in Cleveland and a statement was just released from Huron Hospital stating she died from a brain aneurism.

She was a well respected congresswoman, a sad loss indeed.

Posted by: Sarah | August 20, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Not true

--------

She was a well respected congresswoman, a sad loss indeed.

Posted by: Sarah | August 20, 2008 2:38 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

http://tinyurl.com/6jb7l6 - rumor is that Obama ordered the hit because she waited so long to throw her support behind him and for being a race traitor.

Posted by: Yuri | August 20, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

What up? Der droppin like flies.

Posted by: bro | August 20, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Politics is just a silly game wealthy people play to fulfill their need for power.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Tubbs WAS SUPPORTING HILLARY CLINTON UNTIL HILLARY DROPPED OUT. SHE DIDN'T BACK OBAMA UNTIL AFTERWARDS. YOU PEOPLE DISGUST ME. Tubbs, SHE'S A TRUE AFRICAN AMERICAN PATRIOT. OBAMA IS NOT IN ANYWAY A WISE MLK-LIKE AFRICAN AMERICAN, AND WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET VOTES. HE'LL EVEN SUPPORT A 16-MONTH STAY IN IRAQ

Posted by: Kevin | August 20, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I deeply regret that washingtonpost.com does not monitor and eliminate hate speech when a prominent politician dies. Surely it would not take a rocket scientist to anticipate that hate-filled comments both against Congresswoman Jones and against Barack Obama, and more generally against black people, would magically appear. I don't care how many layoffs you have, this is a basic requirement of human decency. Have the CEO monitor and delete the hate speech if you have to, or don't allow comments on articles about someone passing away, but take some responsibility, please.

Congresswoman Jones's death, for me, is a reminder of the fine work all our elected representatives do, how hard they work, and how we all share common human values. I regret her passing and hope there will be a tribute to her and to the recently slain Arkansas Dems chair at the convention. How tragic to see these deaths just before these active and activist people were looking forward to the convention they must have gone to many times before.

Posted by: If you don't have anything nice to say... | August 20, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Countering media reports of her death, a doctor for Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones says she is alive and on life support.

Posted by: SEG | August 20, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"For the first time in my adult life I am proud ..." Michelle Obama.

I'm sorry but the American political landscape is filed with people of all colors and races. And America has come a long way forward from the days of institutionalized slavery and the Civil Rights movement. Obama and the Dems are class warfare dividers; rich vs poor, black vs white, dems vs reps, GIVE ME A BREAK!! And I don't think too highly of McCain either!!

Please everyone ...why do we have to interject race into everything American.

Reflect on the accomplishments of Tubbs Jones in her short life.

I don't believe that President Lincoln or Martin Luther King would approve of modern day Americas politics, insensitivity or the average citizens political and historical ignorance, present day.

Posted by: Confusion | August 20, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

DON'T ANY OF YOU DISGUSTING OBAMA SUPPORTERS SAY BILL CLINTON KILLED HER. YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN DAVID DUKE WHEN YOU THINK SUCH NONSENSE. GO TO HELL.

Posted by: Kevin | August 20, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Twentypearls94 | August 20, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I live in Cleveland, and I have been following this story all morning. Truthfully, I am dissapointed that a well respected human being has just passed away and there are people in this world that turn it in to a groteque freak show in politics. wow. what is the world coming to?

Posted by: wow | August 20, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

In reading the postings here, I am beside myself with those whose political creed is above all else even at a time like this!

Rep. Tubbs Jones was a first class lady, elegant and cared deeply for our country.
At this time in our history she is like no other.

I regret hearing about her being in a car when this happened. To her and her family
I wish her a speedy recovery. God Bless.

Posted by: Fannie | August 20, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

DAMN

Posted by: homIE d Klown | August 20, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh my God, I hope it's not true that she has passed....This is a very sad time for our Country.

Posted by: Fannie | August 20, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

THIS COMMENT IS FOR TYRONE! I WAS ONE OF THE DEARLY DEPARTEDS SUPPORTERS AND MANICURIST, I HOPE I TAKES A ARMY TO GET THAT DAMN FOOT OUT OF YOU MOUTH! AND I HOPE GOD HAS MERCY ON YOUR SOUL WHEN IT'S YOU TIME TO GO! AND I THINK I SPEAK FOR ALL BLACK WOMEN OF CLEVELAND WHEN I SAY GO TO HELL!

Posted by: clevelander | August 20, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

None of this has ANYTHING to do with Stephanie Tubbs Jones. You should ALL be ashamed of yourselves using this article to conduct petty arguments about politics. Your acting like children, and if you are children then I feel bad for your parents for you to conduct yourself in such a manner.

I live in Cleveland and the local news stations just reported her death like 30 minutes ago

Posted by: Chris | August 20, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"I just heard a report that she was dead. Five minutes later we heard them take back the previous report and they said she is still alive. This was reported on WHUR, Howard University Radio in Washington, DC."

I guess it depends on your definition of the word 'DEAD'.

Posted by: Wwilliams | August 20, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I am disgusted that some people would make the tragedy of someone's death (or near-death) fodder for political crapola.

Tubbs Jones was elected and re-elected by her constituency, so they must have felt she represented them well.

Have a little decency and consider this lady's family before you use their tragedy for your little political games. Try being a human being before a Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative.

Posted by: slavicdiva | August 20, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The woman has done more in her life of assistance to others than most of us can say. God bless her and all of us.

Posted by: Duke | August 20, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

While neither a black woman, nor a Clevelander, let me add my voice to that...GO TO HELL!!

Posted by: Baggem | August 20, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

This is a loss for America and a very sad one.

Posted by: sanders, roberta | August 20, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

According to:

"Newsnet5 erroneously reported that she had died because of reports at the Cleveland Plain Dealer."

Posted by: Shannon | August 20, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"It ain't over until the Lord says so."

Ms. Tubbs appears to be a fighter.

Posted by: Wwilliams | August 20, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone monitor the posts here? Geez, some of you people need to get back on your meds. Whether you agreed with her or not, she was a human being, just like (most of) you, who left behind a family and community of people who DID love her. Take a break from the sexist, racist, partisan bashing for a few minutes, huh?

Posted by: deeppeace | August 20, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

You Obama fanatics are pathetic. If you haven't been reading the papers, OBAMA IS LOSING SUPPORT TO JOHN MCCAIN. Throughout my life, I HAVE BEEN A STRONG DEMOCRAT. This year, however, I'M BACKING JOHN MCCAIN. THE WAY THE PRO-OBAMA MAINSTREAM MEDIA PLAYED REPUBLICAN-LIKE DIRTY TRICKS IN HIS FAVOR WAS COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR. WHILE JOHN MCCAIN IS A REPUBLICAN, I STILL WILL SUPPORT HIM.

Posted by: Kevin | August 20, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I live in Cleveland- press conference just reported she is still on life-support, however she has minimal to no brain function. Most liking her family will need to make the difficult decision to stop life-support.

Posted by: Mel | August 20, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

STJ was an amazing woman. She was the MOST down to earth person you would ever meet. She was extremely committed to public service and was a rare politician in that she did it becuase she truly CARED about her constitients. To politicize this tragety is absolutely disgusting. Funny thing about Stephanie is that anyone who's every ridden in her car can attest to how irractically she drove.. it was always a bit of a joke to all of us who "almost got killed by the Congressman on the ay back to the Capitol". She was a hoot.

Posted by: I cant believe you all | August 20, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

African Americans who speak for black nationalism DISGRACE EVERYTHING MARTIN LUTHER KING JR FOUGHT FOR. It's amazing that some of you people would even support the Nation of Islam. THE GROUP MURDERED MALCOLM X IN COLD BLOOD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Posted by: Kevin | August 20, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The comments here make it clear that Republicans are a seriously depraved lot.
R.I.P. Ms. Tubbs.

Posted by: DWayne | August 20, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Tubbs is (or was) A TRUE SPEAKER FOR EVERYTHING MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. STOOD FOR. ARE SOME YOU BLACK NATIONALISTS GOING TO ALSO TAKE CHEAP SHOTS AT ANDREW YOUNG FOR SUPPORTING HILLARY CLINTON TOO. ANDREW YOUNG HAS PROVEN THAT HE IS NO UNCLE TOM. THE MAN WAS A CLOSE ASSOCIATE OF MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. WHO RISKED HIS LIFE TO ESTABLISH CIVIL RIGHTS THROUGHOUT AMERICA.

Posted by: Kevin | August 20, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Say, Kevin

It's going to be alright...Chill, son!

Posted by: Wwilliams | August 20, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

*****************************************************

You're out of touch with reality. She passed away 30 minutes before your post.

Posted by: DWayne | August 20, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

DWayne

Too blame
Is inane

Too take blame
May be lame

Too be DWayne
Is insane!!

Hey DWayne how deep is your hatred???

Posted by: Rev Jackson | August 20, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sad. A decent person. Thoughts to her relatives--

Posted by: Zippy in Annapolis | August 20, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kevin is why some Animals EAT their young....

Sad to see someone so young (58) go down so fast. Reminds me of that old saying "death comes in threes"
Bernie Mac, Issac Hayes...

Posted by: TJ IN LA | August 20, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I am a white male who has no use for any of the current candidates- but I thought Ms Tubbs -Jones was terrific. She was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise nasty -back stabbing crooked arena. About the only good news here is that if she has indeed passed- at least she doesn't need to breathe the same air as Kevin and the other low life bigots who don't have enough class or brains to show herand her family compassion. They don't deserve to shine her shoes- much less share the same air she breathes.

Posted by: jake | August 20, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The press conference was 30 minutes before my posting (DWAYNE)- you moron.
The reports were an error, but unfortunately will be the outcome.

Posted by: Mel | August 20, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to the family. Stephanie Tubb Jones was a highly educated person that became involved in politics to fight for the rights of all people. May God bless her.

P.S. If you plan to submit reach deep into your soul and ask is death a time for jokes and smears. A family is in great pain. The day will come when each of us will be judged and only God knows who we truly are. God bless the believers and non-believers.

Posted by: m brem | August 20, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know this woman, I live in Texas..., but I am saddened at the comments that have been left here. A person died... someone's family, a sister, a mother, a daughter, and all you can do is political bashing... how sad. If your comments represent Ohio, democrats, Obama supporters, McCain supporters, I don't know, who ever you think you are representing.... you are poorly representing the human race. Shame on you.

Posted by: Dishu | August 20, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse