Tubbs Jones Memorial Expected Between Conventions

A memorial service for Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio), who died yesterday after suffering a brain hemorrhage, is expected to be held in Cleveland the weekend after the Democratic National Convention, according to a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

"Plans are still being made, but the Aug. 30 date is most likely, says Joe Hewitt, a family friend and spokesman," the Plain Dealer reports. No plans have been made yet for a separate service in Washington.

The timing of the Tubbs Jones memorial is important, as many Democratic lawmakers will likely want to attend but are committed to being in Denver next week. The same is true for many Democratic politicians in Ohio. Some Republican House members will also want to be present, so holding the service on Aug. 30 would allow members of both parties to attend their respective conventions and still head to Cleveland next weekend to pay their respects to their deceased colleague.

The Hill reports that Democratic officials are planning a tribute to Tubbs Jones during their convention next week, one that may include the involvement of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), a friend and political ally of the Ohio lawmaker.

By Ben Pershing  |  August 21, 2008; 5:29 PM ET
Categories:  House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill Clinton Helps House Dems (and Obama)
Next: What's Next for House Ethics Panel?

Comments

This is a message for Friday Knight: How could you ever say such a vicious thing about someone who just died. Even if you think that, keep your sick thoughts to your self. Would you actually say something like this to her family face-to-face? I should hope not. And if not, then don't be writing nasty emails like this one. This is sick, sick, sick. Memo to Washington Post: you must stop posting these messages that are not opinion just vile, bottom-feeding fools. This is not a matter of "free speech"; this is a matter of human decency. The Post can and must do better at sifting out this sick-o types.

Posted by: Margaret | August 21, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100% with Margaret. Even in this electronic age there must be gate keepers

Here is a poem that reflects what most of us civilized and dignified Citizens of Ohio are thinking and feeling about the sudden passing of Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

Posted by: Raymond | August 21, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

So I guess Friday Night is one of those wonderful sexist characters who base a woman's value on her physical appeal.. Interesting that some heroic public figure can be diminished in such a revolting way.. So this is the state of American political commentary.. After 35 years of service Hillary Clinton is still the KFC special.. And what of the talented Michelle Obama? How will she fare? Friday Night, do you have problems finding a date? Did you have a terrible mother? Is this why you stoop to insulting a fine woman who is now dead? This is very sad..

Posted by: TK | August 21, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad that WaPo moderates comments, You almost would've thought that "personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site." didn't apply to Friday Knight's comment.

Posted by: AdaminNJ | August 21, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with people? What does looks have to do with anything?

Posted by: Billie | August 21, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

you are all misunderanalyzing Mr Frydaynite.. he is just another republofascist knuckle dragging monkey who belongs in prison for treason.

Posted by: HB | August 21, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Friday Knight is really Fat old Rush Limbarf. He continues to give the term "Human Stain" a bad name. But then again he got his start in life under questionable circumstances. Pathetic.

Posted by: Timo | August 21, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey AMAL - Leave the Priests Out of this PLEASE! That is equally offensive!

Thank you!

Posted by: Charlie Chan | August 21, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

You people are so sad. One idiot makes a provocative comment and sends you all into a frenzy. You're the kind of people who get mad when they get flipped off on the highway. Honestly, do you think you made old Friday feel bad about himself? Does he now see the error of his ways? What purpose other than feeding his satisfaction and exposing your own prejudices are you really serving? Grow up a little please.

Posted by: Jon | August 21, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

My prayers to the family. It's sad and always seems very strange that the good folks in Congress somehow just "die". mmm...

Posted by: Tony | August 21, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Is there any difference between Friday Knight, HB and Timo? Nope, not any. They are all rotten fruit from the same dead tree.

Posted by: Mike | August 21, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Why comment on the negative remarks at all? The naysayers thrive on your responses to them. Ignore them. This is their attempt to take focus off of the proper and dignified comments made by people who do care, and wish to extend condolences and positive feedback.
My heart is with the family and friends of Stephanie Tubbs Jones.
BB

Posted by: BB | August 21, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Farewell, Representative Tubbs-Jones. Thank you for your involvement. Though we didn't always agree on politics, we shared the balance of them. Your service has been greatly appreciated.

-One of Your Constituents

Posted by: Lojiko | August 21, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

There are obviously individuals who have posted offensive comments who should have their privileges suspended immediately.

I only wish I could have an opportunity to meet these sleazy, valueless excuses for humans (you know who you are) face-to-face so I could personally educate them on exhibiting some respect.

But as usual you putrid cowards are today hiding behind screen names. In the past it was just plain old white sheets.

Get a life!

Posted by: RWinLA | August 21, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Iam proud of knowing her. She was my class mate at CWRU. She lived and served all of us. With dignity and honor and we will miss her presence. avj

Posted by: A.Victor | August 21, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I am proud of knowing her. She was my class mate at KFC.

Posted by: A.Victor | August 21, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Half the earlier comments are offensive, not just the first target. This is proof that the Post does not moderate comments and has no easy (repeat, easy) way to flag offensive comments. Time to act.

And I just loved the guy using his screen name to complain about one offending commenter hiding behind his screen name.

Posted by: Klatu | August 21, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Jon, I couldn't agree more. All of these reactionary posts are like giving attention to a 2 year old and encouraging more of the same. While I do agree that Friday Night is a waste of tissue, and I also feel that he is needlessley consuming oxygen and increasing the overall carbon footprint, and furthermore might want to find a really high bridge for jumping purposes, I would not dare post those thoughts. If Friday Night is a kid; he should grow up. If he's an adult; he should drop dead.
peace, love and hybrids

Posted by: Splice | August 21, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Stephanie Tubbs Jones was NOT a saint. She was a corrupt partisan and I'm glad to see her gone. They say its the good ones that die first well in this case she died bc she sold her soul to the devil. I'm tired of hearing just good things about people bc they die when in reality truth should be spoken whether they are alive or not and she was corrupt and I'm glad to see her gone!

Posted by: crestwave | August 21, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Well at least you all now KNOW what the Washington Post is all about!! You decide if you'll continue to read their articles..................................

Posted by: NOW YOU KNOW | August 21, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I've spent over 30 years fighting and defending this country, and I'VE READ SOME THESE COMMENTS. It makes me want throw-up, my prayers and thanks go out to a fine lady Congresswoman Jones and her family. I didn't know, but I wish I did! I can see why Mis Obama refered her words about our country like she did! Maybe one day some us will be ready as well!

Posted by: Alvin | August 21, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Tubbs-Jones fought against hot-tempered and mentally unstable congressman Steve Cohen. Now she's dead. Interesting.

Posted by: Butch Yarmuth | August 21, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I have personaly met and spoke with Ms. Tubbs-Jones on several occasions and although we disagree politically she was always a kind and civil person who would listen to all points of view. She was a dedicated advocate for her community and America. We need diffrent points of view and civil discourse in America, that's what it is all about! She will be missed.

Posted by: Jim | August 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

All civilized persons would be offended by some of the comments on this message board and certainly the Washington Post should know better than to open the gates on a sensitive matter to those who are incapable of normal feelings of compassion and respect toward others.

To the thoughtful and caring folks who read these comments, here's a link to a beautiful video on YouTube commemorating the life of Stephanie Tubbs Jones, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iA9H-PiLmE

Posted by: Ichief | August 21, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I just wish every black person could read what whites think of us! Since being black without a slave name makes you unpatriotic.
This is the real America, the big America who's filled with small minded, uneducated ,low class white Americans who love demeaning and degrading it's citizens at every turn because they were born with a different skin tone.
What a pathetic country and pathetic group of people. This is the country who professes to lead the world. This is the country who wants the world to judge people not but what they add to benefit the world but by the skin color they were born with. White Americans are not from this planet nor from this universe nor are they sprung from the breast of god. How can you when you hate god for creating people that are different from you.

Posted by: Richard | August 21, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Just think..one day (perhaps tomorrow) we will ALL die. The question is where will YOUR SOUL GO? Judge not lest ye be judge!

Posted by: DKNLVY | August 21, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm not related. Anyhow, the internet is the perfect place for guys to say the nastiest trash to "get the crap stirred". Little do they realize the things they have in store for them - when they least expect it. Please, please, PLEASE!!! Do not react to them - they are sitting at their monitors with the KY in their hands itching to get off over getting strangers upset... U cannot rationalize with a sub-toddler. Don't fall for it.

Posted by: jedijones | August 21, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

BTW, any of you fools who wish to go at it with me... I will eviscerate you with words. Just like DaPrez said "bring it on".

Posted by: jedijones | August 21, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

There is too much hatred and ignorance in our society. We have fallen backward instead of moved forward. This election season, I fear, has brought out little of the good and much of the bad and the ugly. The only antidote to this is to overpower the hatred with love. Combat the reactionaries with no reaction, no comment, no acknowledgement. Many people are sick; many people are angry; many people are isolated and live in the society and relative safety of the internet blogs where they can "discourse". This was a magnificent woman who accomplished much with the life given to her. Would that we could each of us have that said about us at our end of life; that we took what was given to us and lived it to the max in service to others.

Posted by: TJ | August 21, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The offensive comments about a woman who albeit may not have been perfect, has accomplished so much in her 58 years in life than what most of the authors of the racist and inappropriate comments will ever achieve. You wonder why the world views our country in disgust and are playing the waiting game to, at some point, take over as dominant super power(s). Other countries and their citizens learn to hate us because our "own" [American] citizens hate one another. Let the fall of Rome be a lesson. Learn to love yourselves as the inciting and hateful remarks are but a mere reflection of how you view yourself each day. Greatness isn't achieved overnight, and clearly, a divisive mentality cannot achieve great things. God bless you and I pray that He will grant your hearts conviction to ask for forgiveness in the blatant hatred and disrespect held towards a woman you clearly never knew yet, in death, attempt to judge.

Posted by: God is not pleased | August 21, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

A much-loved lady has died. She was a good friend, a good neighbor, a good wife and mother, a good legislator, and a brilliant jurist. Her smile alone made the earth spin more smoothly on its axis. Hate speech can not detract from her beauty.

Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, rest in peace.

Posted by: D.S. Payne | August 21, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

So Rush Limbarf and jon like it the same way, cold, not moving & not screaming. Pathetic little slugs leaving your slimy trail on every thing you touch. Rep.Stephanie Tubbs Jones was a good women. God Bless You, Rest In Peace.

Posted by: Timo | August 21, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

hey washington post, read your own policy

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies

Do your job and remove these offensive posts. This bile makes your paper look foolish.

Posted by: ed | August 21, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry jon, I meant my comments for Mike.

Posted by: Timo | August 21, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I had no prior opinion about this paper but will definitely return to the WSJ where the ignorant are censored.

Posted by: AM | August 21, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I am ashamed that the Washington Post would allow such disrepectful comments about someone that served their country. Where is the decency and moral character of the editorial staff. Your posting standards have be lowered because this paper allow some evil and bad comments to make it to their website about the late congresswoman from Ohio. The person that allow such comments should be fired. I feel that the Washington Post owes an apology to her family and the people of Ohio that she represented.

Posted by: ta from nc | August 21, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I watched Tubbs-Jones over the past year and was shocked at her fearless support Hillary even though nearly all of her supporters in Cleveland were supporting Obama. I watched a rally with Bill Clinton where she had strong armed five or six black preachers. They came for her but were so uncomfortable and did not want to be seen on TV but they came because of her. She was truly fearless in her support of Hillary rejecting all personal political risks. Her word was her bond, she will be missed.

Posted by: FLC | August 21, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WPost | August 21, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

to rwinla
The offensive comments that supposed to have point finger at a race, check and see how many fingers are pointing back at you. It always take one to find one and here you are hanging all negroes, well I guess you will have to have someone hang you first.
(it does not matter whether you are white, black, purple or pink, even poka dot whatever- skin colors are just the pigmentation of our skin).

People will perish for the lack of knowledge.

Jealousy of an African American women who accomplished great things that made your life a little better is something that all decency Americans should be proud of.

Apparently, you are angry with your life. No one is stopping you from LEARNING. ASK YOUR PARENTS whether you are a human being or not. Perhaps one of those negroes you want to hang will save your life one day.

IGNORANT IS BLISS....

Posted by: jmiller | August 22, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Post needs to understand our new technology. As a news agency with editorial standards it is un-believable that you would allow statements that do not adhere to you're high standards of journalism. Just because it is a blog site doesn't mean that it is open season for any crazy in the world. For God's sake, get some standards and get this under your editorial control.

Posted by: kern cleveland | August 22, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Dear The Washington Post Company:

Please enforce your stated rule regarding "comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material ... be removed from this site"!

Or, do you not consider any of these comments inappropriate?

Posted by: Anthony | August 22, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Add to the list of slimy pathetic slugs: "george lucas",happy doodle, rwinla, klatu, splice,crestwave, jedi jones. What kind of inbred, scumbag parents made you? God forbid you have any children.

Posted by: Timo | August 22, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

She and I were on the opposite sides of many issues but I respected her greatly. I feel great sorrow on hearing of her passing. God grant her soul peace and grace her family with comfort and healing.

Posted by: KJ | August 22, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it's appropriate to remove any ugly remarks. It does show a part of our society. I think some will say ANYTHING under the cloak of anonymity...there are those that actually watch Howard Stern. The ones that are vacant without content can be easily ignored. This is the place for all thoughts and would not want to see censorship. If this took place at the congress womens funeral, I'd say throw the bums out.

Posted by: Mike | August 22, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

dance songs dance songs [link=http://paleontologia.co.uk/paleopag/lib/package/text117.htm]dance songs[/link]

Posted by: dance songs | August 23, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

amber clip michaels video amber clip michaels video [link=http://worldwarcombat.com/test/images/maps/pics/article-293.htm]amber clip michaels video[/link]

Posted by: amber clip michaels video | August 23, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: amber clip michaels video | August 23, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

BBQ will be served! Cornbread too!!

Posted by: Republican Guy | August 24, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

avi mpeg video converter cracks avi mpeg video converter cracks [link=http://worldwarcombat.com/test/images/maps/pics/article-2203.htm]avi mpeg video converter cracks[/link]

Posted by: avi mpeg video converter cracks | August 26, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: avi mpeg video converter cracks | August 26, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

adult video archive adult video archive [link=http://rappahannockinc.com/portfolio/images/topic459.htm]adult video archive[/link]

Posted by: adult video archive | August 26, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

everest communications kc everest communications kc [link=http://rappahannockinc.com/portfolio/images/topic916.htm]everest communications kc[/link]

Posted by: everest communications kc | August 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

mpeg video [URL=http://philliscroce.rihost.us/elfavarf-1503.html]mpeg video[/URL] [url=http://philliscroce.rihost.us/elfavarf-1503.html]mpeg video[/url] [url]http://philliscroce.rihost.us/elfavarf-1503.html[/url]

Posted by: mpeg video | August 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

acd videomagic 1.0.2 acd videomagic 1.0.2 [link=http://bertiecrumble.rihost.us/topic925.htm]acd videomagic 1.0.2[/link]

Posted by: acd videomagic 1.0.2 | August 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

modern inventions video clip donald duck [URL=http://georgiastlouis.rihost.us/new1001.htm]modern inventions video clip donald duck[/URL] [url=http://georgiastlouis.rihost.us/new1001.htm]modern inventions video clip donald duck[/url] [url]http://georgiastlouis.rihost.us/new1001.htm[/url]

Posted by: modern inventions video clip donald duck | August 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

11671. [url=http://www.linkedin.com/in/verycheapairlinetickets][b]Cheap Airline Tickets From Seattle To Buffalo[/b][/url]
1176. [url=http://www.linkedin.com/in/cheapairlineticketstoflorida][b]Cheap Hawaii Airline Tickets[/b][/url]
11817. [url=http://www.linkedin.com/in/cheapairlineticketstoeurope][b]Real Cheap Airline Tickets[/b][/url]

Posted by: InfarmIrolorko | August 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

11656. [url=http://www.linkedin.com/in/verycheapairlinetickets][b]Cheap Airline Tickets For Students[/b][/url]
11773. [url=http://www.linkedin.com/in/cheapairlineticketstoflorida][b]Cheap Airline Tickets To Amsterdam[/b][/url]
11866. [url=http://www.linkedin.com/in/cheapairlineticketstoeurope][b]Cheap Airline Tickets Singapore To New Delhi[/b][/url]

Posted by: InfarmIrolorkx | August 29, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse