Democrats Unanimously Back Pelosi

By Paul Kane
A unanimous bloc of House Democrats voiced their support today for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, rejecting a Republican resolution calling for an investigation into the California Democrat's assertion the CIA misled her about the nature of terrorist interrogations in 2002.

By a vote of 252 to 172, the House rejected the resolution. All 250 Democrats who cast votes supported Pelosi, joined by two Republicans, Reps. Walter Jones Jr. (N.C.) and Ron Paul (Texas).

The GOP resolution would have created a subcommittee within the House intelligence committee to probe the speaker's assertion last week that the CIA told her at a September 2002 briefing that the controversial technique of waterboarding was not used yet on a high value al-Qaeda prisoner. Later, government reports showed that some form of waterboarding had been used 83 times on one detainee in the weeks before the Pelosi briefing.

"The Speaker is the second in line for the presidency, and the weight of the allegations against America's top foreign intelligence agency makes this bipartisan investigation necessary," House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said.

Instead of backing the resolution, Democrats used it as an opportunity to show their united loyalty to the woman who led them to the majority in 2006 and expanded that edge in the 2008 elections. The Democratic caucus, which had 203 members on the eve of the 2006 elections, now stands at 256 members.

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 21, 2009; 1:02 PM ET
Categories:  Dem. Leaders
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: House Energy Vows to Expedite Consideration of 'Cap and Trade'
Next: Speed Reader Brings Levity to 'Cap and Trade'

Comments

Thank you democrats for showing democrats, as they have accused republicans of doing, have absolutely no intention of the truth just political posturing.

More "change you can believe in" from democrats. Hypocrites.

Every day of being in charge democrats prove they are just as corrupt, partisan, and hypocritical as anything they have accused republicans of.

Posted by: Cryos | May 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Cry os a river.

And you expect me to believe your partisan rantings? We've followed you long enough to realize that you are not in the slightest bit interested in the question of hypocricy or the matter of torture so long as it can serve as a whetstone to grind your little axe.

If it were otherwise you'd be calling for an international tribunal to look into the criminal activities of the U.S. government and the bombardment of Bagdad. Right?

Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | May 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

WOW BIG DEAL, the spoil OBAMANATION is not about to lose the grandmother from the West. Grandpa from the West may face a bigger battle, and democrats in Washington including the White House preceding resident may not have any say in what happen to him. spector is hoping for the move that worked Liberman. 2010 primaries maybe more interesting than the general election and remove more dead weight from Washington.

Posted by: phjesuswarrior7 | May 21, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if House Speaker Pelosi was misled by the CIAn, however I doubt it. I do believe that this fiasco has gone on far enough and all that remains is political revenge. It is a waste of time. I have a problem that needs to be dealt with, the EEOC refused to assist me, stating that I was not a protected class, which allowed those discriminating against me free rein. I have contacted Senators Mike Jackson and Kay Bailey Hutchison and they have repeatedly ignored me. I tried to sue in civil court, but the clerk took my money and never contacted me again. So if you need to debate and investigate an issue, help me. I have been cheated by my own government.

Posted by: mypuppy | May 21, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Are we to have eight more years of lockstep goosestepping by the members of Congress? NOT one single Democrat would like to see a full, open process of trying to arrive at truth?

The Indictment: Party loyalty is more important than loyalty to the United States.

They are not one and the same, and when both parties place party loyalty above open government, they prove once again that we do not have FREE SPEECH in government.

In order to ever allow Congress people to voice their true beliefs, we must get rid of seniority rules, campaign finance warchests controlled by party leaders, and all the other BLACKMAIL tools that are presented being used to FORCE Congresspeople to hue the line.

Mr. Obama ran on the issue of CHANGE. We need change and reform in Congress as bad as we need change and reform anywhere in Government. Every time I see a party line vote, I cringe at the blasphemy it represents.

Please, is there one honest Democrat that would really like to see open, transparent government in Congress? Just one? There were NO Republicans.

Posted by: Tawodi | May 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm a bit miffed that you credit Ms. Pelosi with the democrat wins in '06 and '08. I would give a lot more credit to Republican spending and MSM hatred of the Bush administration. Look right now how so many are characterizing Cheney. He is a dedicated public servant with more integrity than all the liberals put together and the MSM continues to attack him. President Obama, like the Clintons, is a pathological liar as is demonstrated simply by comparing his words to his deeds. I truly don't understand why seemingly intelligent reporters can,t/won't see that.

Posted by: vitaglubet | May 22, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Again, the Democrats have not let me down. I knew they would back Liar Pelosi; she will barely get out of this mess, but she will and the lying of the whole pack of Dems running DC will continue. The Clintons were pros at it but I believe Pelosi and Obama match their talent. People better wake up soon.....this country is being led by people that hate it and it will be destroyed, as we know it, in a very short time. 2010 we all have to clean up DC and get the crooks out!! God help us all. And, I'm a democrat ashamed to admit it but I face the facts. That party is destroying this country. Everything will be blamed on Bush, even after Obama has been in office for 4 years. He won't take the blame for anything as he has an enormous ego. What has he done since his first day in office that has helped this country? NADA!

Posted by: Que755 | May 22, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

does it really surprise anyone that those fools would back piglosi?i am no fan of the republican party,i think all of them in the senate who voted for pork spending, and congress too,should be ridden out of washington on a rail,tarred and feathered. the democrats also wasted tons of money in that omnibus,and all who voted for that intercourse bill,aka stimulous,should be deported to cuba.
any member of congress,or senate,along with biden,and obambi who are insulting our intelligence,backing chriss dodd,after proof is out about his corruption,barney franks,who blocked the investigation of one of the most crooked organizations on earth,acorn,who along with general electric,and the unions who own your president,they need a wake up call.
we as americans need to come together,and say enough. the tax revolt is about more than money,and it reminds me of the dodge van i bought.i did not want to admit i had made a bad mistake,but after being stranded a few times,i got rid of that piece of crap,and got a ford.i am much better off now,even the rough treatment i give it and lack of service,cant stop this pickup,and if we look at this administration the same way,we can make it a better world for our children.this july,we will have another chance,maybe our last,to stand together as american patriotic,and damn proud of it,and say no more theft,and no more stupid crap like henry waxmans crap and trade.by the way,waxman and pelosi have been screw ups as long as i can remember. the stupid stuff they come up with,and californians keep voting to send them back to washington,is anyone surprised at the shape california is in?i was proud to see californians stand up for themselves,even though only 27 percent of them had the guts,and integrity to show up for the protest.

Posted by: silusdogood | May 25, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

i just want to thank washington post for being one of few news outlets in america,who are not getting wet between the legs every time obambi speaks. it is refreshing to see honesty,and integrity.it is in short supply these days. recently i put four comments on n y times,and they took them off,because they couldnt handle the truth about their messiah.

Posted by: silusdogood | May 25, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

forgot to say,to n y post,keep this up,and your ratings will go up,even fox news will see,and report how you are trying to show the ducks as being ducks.

Posted by: silusdogood | May 25, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

So far I've found four articles on WashingtonPost.com about this vote. Why was it important, in each article, to name the two republican representatives?

Posted by: MDLaxer | May 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Elected Republicans have been waging partisan war against Dems in general and Pelosi in particular from the beginning, but have no credibility after lying, cheating and stealing the last 8 years. Nonetheless, Pelosi's San Francisco politics are far left of most Americans and she would not hold the job if we got to vote on it. I supported her until she took impeachment of Bush off the table -- holding the President accountable for countless crimes is a critical part of the job! I want her to go because she is a bad Speaker. (I'm an Independent)

Posted by: owens1 | May 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse