House Refers Rangel Resolution to Ethics Committee

Update, 2:40 p.m:
By Washington Post Staff
The House of Representatives voted this afternoon to refer to the ethics committee a privileged resolution that would have forced Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) to relinquish the chairmanship of the Ways and Means Committee.

The resolution, offered by Texas Rep. John Carter (R), highlighted a litany of charges against the veteran Democrat, including tax evasion and filing inaccurate financial disclosure forms.

Washington Post Staff Writer Perry Bacon Jr. writes more on the subject here>>

By Washington Post editors  |  October 7, 2009; 2:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Labor Nominee Still Faces GOP Hold
Next: Opposition to Taxing Health Benefits Builds in the House

Comments

The True Culture of Corruption.
The Democratic Party.

Posted by: dbonade | October 7, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

In 1973 Spiro Agnew was under investigation for 100'000 and resigned after pleading guilty of a single charge that he had failed to report $29,500 of income.

I thought that was right. Most Americans did too and Democrats were so high minded!!!

NOW Mr Rangel needs to leave - he was allowed to play with the law and good practices for FAR TOO LONG

Democrats are going to lose all credibility with middle America by systematically supporting these and other bandits for politically correct reasons - ENOUGH the law should not be color blind - too many people fought for that equality for it to be reversed now!

Posted by: sally62 | October 7, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Gee Nancy, I thought you said this stuff wasn't going to happen. Rangel should have been dragged out of the House in handcuffs years ago.

Posted by: flintston | October 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If anyone can figure out how he became a multi millionaire on his congressional salary, please let me know. I would like to get in on that system myself.

Posted by: AkCoyote | October 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Under Bush, Rangel cheated on his taxes and dims did nothing

Under Obozzo, Rangel cheated on his taxes and dims did nothing

For you liberals who think you're so smart, this is just one more example of all that "change" Obozzo promised and hasn't come close to delivering.

More Kool aid libs?

Posted by: Bcamp55 | October 7, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@Bcamp55 - you hit it right on the head . . .
Under BUSH nothing happened, but apparently this was a Dem problem? The Rethuglicans had control of both houses until 2006 so why didn't they do something?

Posted by: dieselbug | October 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@Bcamp55 -Answer to your question:

Read history @Bcaomp55: Republicans were in control of congress...you are smart; that doesn't mean they had all committes under their control. Repubs did try to marginalize Rangle and shame his
constituency into demanding his removal. Instead his constituency praised him for beating the white mans system. You can see why repubs abandoned action when faced with that logic (non-logic). Political correctness is a powerful retardent even for a president. I agree with you on this point: Repubs should have done then, what they are trying to do now. By taking the "high road" they defeated their own best chance of getting Phony Rangle out...and make no mistake he is an opportunistic phony in the same genre as J. Jackson and that other so called reverend in New York who hides his sins behind the cloth (Sharpton). ssj.

Posted by: ssjackson | October 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The swap is overflowing! If you wonder why the average American is cynical about our esteemed leaders, the Rangel scandal is a good reason. None of the top Democrat leaders want to pay their taxes. They want us to, but their lying and cheating is not to be questioned.

Posted by: saelij | October 7, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

As a retired federal criminal investigator, supervisor and manager for almost 26 years I was "forced" out in 2006 after I sued my former employer, DHS-ICE. From 1995 to 2002, my class action was kept at the EEOC and on May 10, 2002, our attorneys filed in US District Court. Immediately, I was suspended (classical among federal agencies) on May 17, 2002. Then IRS started showing interest in my tax returns. I survived tax return reviews and mail examinations in 2003, 2004, and 2005. In September 2008, a rogue IRS revenue agent decided to examine 2006. After I complained about her unprofessionalism, she added 2007. I contacted TIGTA reported tyat certain IRS employees were violating IRC 1203 and one group manager was running a small financial accounting business where he provided tax consultancy and advise. After my complaint, he closed his business and deleted his website. A top ranking TIGTA official lied to my local US Senator stating that my complaints were unsubstantiated. The IRS and TIGTA employees involved in my case committed unauthorized bank and tax information disclosures, lied to a member of the US Congress, falsified information that went in my audit files but no one at TIGTA and IRS seem to care. On September 4, 2009, DEA arrested a retired ICE top ranking official in Arizona for being a cocaine smuggler and trafficker and a member of a drug cartel. Early this year, a top suprvisory criminal investigator a deputy of the ICE's International Branch. Cramer served two tours in Mexico, Chavez was the Customs Attache in Venezuela. Both worked as Customs internal affairs in Arizona. With the Rangel's tax case it appears that our federal government is becoming more and more corrupt. Unfortunately the ones who get caught are the ones who are reporting misconduct.

Posted by: doctormiguel | October 7, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Whether Democrat or Republican, they are all alike. At the end of the day, they both shake hands and laugh how they take advantage of Americans. Politicians are crooked no matter what the party.

Posted by: anony67 | October 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

That leaves me with no choice. Next year I will express my disappointment by voting out my Democrat representative in Louisiana.

Posted by: n88e88 | October 7, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@Bcamp55 - you hit it right on the head . . .

Posted by: dieselbug | October 7, 2009 2:58 PM |
------------
Bcamp55 is a moron. Just ignore his rants.

Posted by: Independent4tw | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

n88e88, saelij, Bcamp55, and of course, AKCoyote,
I am sure you all wrote letters to Ted Stevens last year demanding his resignation, too?
Your morally bankrupt ethics of convenience are showing.

Posted by: DAMNEDGENTLEMEN | October 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

n88e88, saelij, Bcamp55, and of course, AKCoyote,
Your morally bankrupt ethics of convenience are showing.

Posted by: DAMNEDGENTLEMEN | October 7, 2009 3:51 PM
----------------
That is what Republicans like about being a hypocrite, they are the only ones who are allowed to be one.

Posted by: Independent4tw | October 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

n88e88, saelij, Bcamp55, and of course, AKCoyote,
Your morally bankrupt ethics of convenience are showing.

Posted by: DAMNEDGENTLEMEN | October 7, 2009 3:51 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No, I didn't. I voted for the other guy and we ended up electing a corrupt democrat mayor as Stevens' replacement. Now Begich will be YOUR problem until 2014.

Posted by: AkCoyote | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

In January 2007, Nancy Pelosi promised the American people that the House would be "the most open and ethical" legislature of all time.

In 2008, Nancy Pelosi indicated that the ethics committee would complete it's investigation of Represenative Charles Rangel by the end of January 2009.

It appears Speaker Pelosi has failed to tell the truth on both occasions!

My question for Speaker Pelosi is what else have you failed to tell us the truth about?

Posted by: mwhoke | October 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse