On Twitter: CavsJournal and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Virginia-Maryland Rivalry

Virginia and Maryland is a rivalry, which has been a subject of stories in both states this week. But the rivalry is not only because of proximity. Maryland linebacker Alex Wujciak said the students are different, too.

“It’s two different schools, two different atmospheres,” Wujciak said. “It’s two different types of kids. It’s definitely a serious rivalry. …Coach said they’re a shirt-and-tie, khaki-type of guys. I guarantee you won’t see any of us wearing that around here.”

Here is how the two coaches described the rivalry:

Virginia Coach Al Groh: "In most conferences, when you have border teams play, it's usually pretty traditional rivalry. In the Big 12 you've got Kansas and Missouri. In the Big Ten you have Michigan and Ohio State, Indiana and Illinois, so most of those border-school rivalries are amongst each school's most significant, whether it's students come from both sides of the border or people graduated from one school and get a good job offer in the state of the other school, that's pretty common in most of these rivalries.”

Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen: “I think if you’d ask the Virginia players, they would say the same thing. The kids all know each other. A lot of them have gone to school with each other. We have Virginia kids, they have D.C. kids and Maryland kids. I think, over the years, and even since Al and I played, it’s always been a rivalry. They have Virginia Tech also, but I think Maryland’s a rivalry to them and I think it’s a rivalry for our guys, too.”

By Zach Berman  |  October 14, 2009; 12:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Simpson Update
Next: Morning Links

Comments

You definitely don't want to wear a necktie when there's a chance you'll be burning a couch later. Real burn hazard there.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 14, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

As a Virginia alumnus, I'd prefer to beat UNC, which we did. Then Hokie High, then Maryland. Never a bad time for "turtle soup," though.

Posted by: howard10859 | October 14, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Maryland is our #3 rival behind #1 VT and #2 UNC. (Switch #1 and #2 if you're a UVa fan over 60.) But a rival they still are. And I'm much happier beating them, which I think we've done 15 out of the past 20 games.

Posted by: topshelf_22304 | October 14, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

It really all depends on where the Virginia fan is from. If you're from NOVA, then you'll hate Murland over all. If you're from NC, then UNC. And if you're from the majority of Virginia (the rural areas especially), and are a UVA fan, you'll despise no one more than a Hoakie.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | October 14, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Another rivalry factor is UMd has won championships in both football AND hoops... VA would like to have some of that even though the football championship is 50+ years ago...
In mid/late 60's VA had its way with UMd. I can remember Ed Carrington catching 4 TD passes in Scott Stadium to the joy of the fans (flasks in hand) and the Pep Band -- remeber their antics?? I do credit the Pep band with singlehandedly losing the Sugar Bowl (90??) when they pulled their Elvis skit and really woke up the TN fans who were silent the first half as VA rolled up a big lead then gave it all away in second as twice could not get TD with first down inside the 5 and Herman Moore at receiver (former state champion in high jump...) Go Hoos!!

Posted by: BwkDawg1 | October 14, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

How about The Fridge in 2002 saying UMd does not "lose to teams like Duke and Virginia" then goes out and loses to UVa in the Carl Smith Center like 48-13 with a chance to clinch a share of the ACC title... or the UMd Pres saying kids that go to UVa from Maryland are getting their money stolen and deserve it because they can get just as good of an education at UMd

Posted by: staffordhoo | October 14, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Superhoo, not just being from NoVA, but having lived in the DC area at any time can really turn you against the Terps. The high density of insufferable fans ratchets up that rivalry feeling...

I guess that's what it's like for people who aren't Skins fans and live in the DC area. I feel sorry for such people, I really do.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 15, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse